Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hated WOW because I was told to hate WOW!

Congrats to me for following the lesser gaming crowd! I don't even have a level 20 on WOW and I am hooked! I have anxiety and depression and I played City of Heroes from the start and it helped my condition. World of Warcraft has picked up where COH closed. I enjoy this game and it's beauty! I enjoy the game just walking around !!!!

Comments

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by silverseed71
    Congrats to me for following the lesser gaming crowd! I don't even have a level 20 on WOW and I am hooked! I have anxiety and depression and I played City of Heroes from the start and it helped my condition. World of Warcraft has picked up where COH closed. I enjoy this game and it's beauty! I enjoy the game just walking around !!!!

WoW is a Great MMO just alot of people are burned out on it.

It also has a fair share of haters tho.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Its like getting late to a party

You will still might have fun but everyone is already drunk or knocked out

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by dinams

And all the nice chicks are already taken. ;)

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

i al;most shelled out the money for MoP... but i cherished vanilla WoW and have hated the direction the game has gone with each expansion.

thank goodness my wallet talked me out of an eventual letdown.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Punk999

I'm pretty sure this entire site rose up from the ocean of tears shed by wow haters.  it was crazy just how anti-wow it used to be here.

You make me like charity

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I'm pretty sure this entire site rose up from the ocean of tears shed by wow haters.  it was crazy just how anti-wow it used to be here.

haha that is very true.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Whats this "used to be" you speak of :P

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Originally posted by dinams

And all the nice chicks are already taken. ;)

Good point, forgot about that

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I played vanilla WoW and loved it.  After a while, I just grew tired of it and drifted to other games.  Since you are fresh to the experience, you should have a amazing time exploring and seeing everything for the first time.  It really is a well polished game, fun, and addicting. 

Do yourself a favor and just play the game and don't read the General Forums.  There are a lot of bitter old players, haters, and trolls who create a lot of static in attempts at discussion.  Find a friendly, good guild, and immerse yourself.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

haha that is very true.

I don't think that's really true.  I think that it was more people looking for a different game and hating on the clones... and then hating WoW for it's popularity because it was so huge that all the development money for the last 8 years has gone towards making clones.

In the way that we hate WoW, we should all love TOR.  TOR's failure (despite it really being an excellent game, taken out of context of all the other MMO options) is probably the best thing that's happened to the industry.  Would EQNext be a sand box game if everyone was playing TOR?

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that WoW is an execellent game, should just stop talking.  If I were taking up a  new game, though, I'd probably go with LOTRO or Rift.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by grimfall

haha that is very true.

I don't think that's really true.  I think that it was more people looking for a different game and hating on the clones... and then hating WoW for it's popularity because it was so huge that all the development money for the last 8 years has gone towards making clones.

In the way that we hate WoW, we should all love TOR.  TOR's failure (despite it really being an excellent game, taken out of context of all the other MMO options) is probably the best thing that's happened to the industry.  Would EQNext be a sand box game if everyone was playing TOR?

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that WoW is an execellent game, should just stop talking.  If I were taking up a  new game, though, I'd probably go with LOTRO or Rift.

There has not been a proper "WoW clone" made yet...the closest thing would be rift. Clone implies copy...SWTOR launched without a /roll command...without a combat log...not count everyting else it did wrong, how do you expect serious raiders to stay in a game without a /roll command or combat log? I'd LOVE a wow clone...which means a very polished game, with solid raid encounters, and all the general functionality we expect from MMOs....we have yet to see that since wow, with again, Rift being very close.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by steamtank

i al;most shelled out the money for MoP... but i cherished vanilla WoW and have hated the direction the game has gone with each expansion.

Yup. Us Vanilla/TBC WoW lovers are only going to be letdown. The negatives of TBC have just been amplified.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Wow is still number one for polish content and fun all in one place.  No other MMO can offer as much, some do one or more things better maybe, but no other MMO does everything better.  Scoreboard doesnt lie.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    WoW introduced a lot of things that older fans of the genre are not keen on. The game itself is passable for what it is, a mainstream shallow time waster. But for those of us who weren't introduced to the genre with WoW, it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread that the majority make it out to be. Hence the backlash.
  • skizyxskizyx Member Posts: 1

I've been playing WoW since beta (8 1/2 years approx.) .  It's a really fun game, very impressive.  There has been some good advice here...ignore general chat and get hooked up with a decent guild.  Levelling has become easier/faster, so don't let the 90 levels intimidate you.  I have made some really good friends through WoW and I have had some fantastic times in the game.  I hope you will enjoy the game, also.  Good luck! 

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by steamtank

Yup. Us Vanilla/TBC WoW lovers are only going to be letdown. The negatives of TBC have just been amplified.

BC-loving warlock running through Black Temple for green fire here, loving the new patch.  There's not a monolithic hatred for MoP among those of us who've played forever.

Welcome, OP!   Good to have you with us in-game.  Although I second the advice about the General Discussion forum.  While there are some nice posters, many are...not so nice.  The New Player forum is great though!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've been playing since day 1, and I still love it.
  • DarthIxidorDarthIxidor Member Posts: 16
     There has been some solid advice here, so I'll just drop my 2 cents. I love the game. No matter what comes out, I always find myself going back. I mostly play Horde across several servers. I will say on my experience there are great guilds and people out there who play. There are complete tards as well, people who roll need on everything, people who don't take direction, people who mistreat people because they are new. Again though, there are those out there who like to help and will be glad to do so. Good Luck!
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

Good for you Silver!

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Where those that told you to hate it members of the Old Bitter Sandbox Mafia?
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    It is a great open world and no matter how much endgame can get repetative, I find myself back in the game because of it.
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

WOW was hated by this site as a selling point. And now they get the backlash.

Every dud published by a few idiots holding some basic scripts in their hands got promoted by this site and the end result is that now everyone has a headache.

Cheers.

2012 was the last year of the innonvative concepts and they failed BIG time. As from now on: it is shut up or play WoW.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I love WoW to death, I just cant bring myself to come back and be disappointed.
  • JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Maybe you shouldn't blindly adopt other peoples opinions?

Also, if you've got anxiety and depression escaping into an MMORPG is probably going to make you worse in the long term.

Might want to address your actual issues instead of hiding from them. 

Hi

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

There isnt anything out there as smooth, well put together, and able to run on a commodore 64 like WoW. Every game that has been put out lacks something that wow has. Play the game. My server has omg 1000000 people on it and keeps getting better.