Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: If Blizzard North had been allowed to make their Diablo MMORPG

DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

If Blizzard North had been allowed to make their Diablo MMORPG and not been fired because of their dreams would that have been better than the current Diablo 3?

Comments

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

I made a thread in the WoW forum and it recently had 200 views and this one just 19.

Poor Diablo 3. image

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I think you are cute.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Volgore
    I think you are cute.

Well thank you. image

Not everyday that you get hit on by 81 year olds, hahahaha. image

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

If Blizzard North had been allowed to make their Diablo MMORPG and not been fired because of their dreams would that have been better than the current Diablo 3?

Condore before becoming Blizzard North presented blizzard with a claymation turn based RPG ( http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/lvvuyx/blizzard-entertainment-20-year-retrospective @ 29:40 ) which eventualy turned in Diablo so would it have been better than D3.... well it would have been different thats for sure.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Would probably be like wow with darker atmosphere / graphics

Wow basicly follows the diablo formula anyway.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Would probably be like wow with darker atmosphere / graphics

Wow basicly follows the diablo formula anyway.

Didn't some of Blizzard north go on to make Hellgate:London?  Well think that but in a fantasy setting.... BTW the game flopped.

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Think its called Torchlight nowdays not diablo,

Or its the game called Mythos or somthing made by flagship studios :P

http://www.gamespot.com/news/mythos-detailed-will-be-free-6167915?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by expresso

Didn't some of Blizzard north go on to make Hellgate:London?  Well think that but in a fantasy setting.... BTW the game flopped.

some went to Flagship studios

but many more went to Carbine Studios - the dev team for Wildstar

http://www.carbinestudios.com/en/news/473/carbine-studios-becomes-latest-member-of-ncsoft-family/

The studio, comprised of 17 former Blizzard employees including lead and senior developers from the World of Warcraft team, is led by industry veterans Kevin Beardslee, Tim Cain and Jeremy Gaffney.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    There is already little to no difference between WoW and Diablo. Why would they make a Diablo MMO.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    There is already little to no difference between WoW and Diablo. Why would they make a Diablo MMO.

There is ..

Diablo is much better at action combat.

Diablo 3 is much better build diversity.

But i do agree that Diablo should not be made into a MMO. It adds little fun to be a true MMO. It has enough MMO features already (AH, crafting ...).

• SibcoeSibcoe Member UncommonPosts: 61

Many of the fine folks who made Diablo and Diablo II have moved on to other things.  Their recent project is:

Marvel Heroes

The srtudio head is David Brevik, who created D1 and D2 and is making Marvel Heroes, as essentially the game that would have been D3.  

I recently interviewed David and the team there, and I am pretty excited about the game.  

My recent episode of "The marvel-ous Podacst" in which I interview one of the developers is here:

The Marvel-ous Podcast featuring Game Developer Alex Williams and RTG Sibcoe

Check it out.

Cheers 0/

Originally posted by nariusseldon

There is ..

But i do agree that Diablo should not be made into a MMO. It adds little fun to be a true MMO. It has enough MMO features already (AH, crafting ...).

Wow, the meaning of MMO is well and truly dead if having an auction house and CRAFTING makes a game massively multiplayer...

There is ..

Wow, the meaning of MMO is well and truly dead if having an auction house and CRAFTING makes a game massively multiplayer...

AH is pretty massive .. and certainly multiplayer. But i didn't say D3 is a MMO, did i? I only say it does not need to be.

There is ..

AH is pretty massive .. and certainly multiplayer. But i didn't say D3 is a MMO, did i? I only say it does not need to be.

You claimed that having crafting is a feature that signifies whether or not something is massively multiplayer. Ah, but I should have noticed, it's narius. You spew foolish things constantly.

• axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95

There is ..

If Diablo 3 has more build diversity than any other MMO out there, please shot me. Diablo 3 chooses the path for you, please... 

asdasdasd

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I agree. WoW is basically just Diablo with more features and pvp - or rather Diablo is basically just a waterdown WoW with MOBAish combat and dungeons only.

It will be waste of money if Blizzard is going to make an MMO out of Diablo. They are better off making an MMO out of Starcraft if they really wants to juice money out of their existing franchise.

Thank god they are doing neither of those though - they ae actually doing something new.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

There is ..

You claimed that having crafting is a feature that signifies whether or not something is massively multiplayer. Ah, but I should have noticed, it's narius. You spew foolish things constantly.

No, they called them "MMO features"

Which means they are features MMOs commonly has, not that having them makes it an mmo.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by axtranti
    Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by DavisFlight There is already little to no difference between WoW and Diablo. Why would they make a Diablo MMO.
    There is .. Diablo is much better at action combat. Diablo 3 is much better build diversity. But i do agree that Diablo should not be made into a MMO. It adds little fun to be a true MMO. It has enough MMO features already (AH, crafting ...).
    If Diablo 3 has more build diversity than any other MMO out there, please shot me. Diablo 3 chooses the path for you, please... 

actually it does, more than a few mmo's. each class has multiple builds that are completely different from one another and viable.

there are more viable builds in D3 currently per class than vanilla wow.

i can think of many old skool mmo's that have no builds at all, just that class's core role.

Originally posted by Deivos

There is ..

Which means they are features MMOs commonly has, not that having them makes it an mmo.

YOu don't realize why that sounds moronic, do you?

Calling a feature "an MMO feature" implies that it is a key component of what makes an MMO an MMO. A lot of MMOs have graphics, but I wouldn't call it an MMO feature.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

personally

ever since Turbine marketed DDO as a mmorpg and ANET did not market GW1 as a mmorpg

both have similar game mechanics -- heavily instanced world, only see other players at outposts

the term lost its meaning to me

Originally posted by baphamet

actually it does, more than a few mmo's. each class has multiple builds that are completely different from one another and viable.

there are more viable builds in D3 currently per class than vanilla wow.

i can think of many old skool mmo's that have no builds at all, just that class's core role.

Just an example.

Mage in Wiz has 3 specs .. that is pretty much it.

In Diablo, just wiz, here are a list of builds i have seen people use (from the most popular): CM SNS, Meteor, Archon, Hybrid Archon, Blizz kiting, Disintegration, Sleet storm .. and i am not even talking about variations on these builds.

And we are not even talking about gimmick builds like the WD zero dog one.

Originally posted by Nadia

personally

ever since Turbine marketed DDO as a mmorpg and ANET did not market GW1 as a mmorpg

both have similar game mechanics -- heavily instanced world, only see other players at outposts

the term lost its meaning to me

Don't be so serious .. MMO is just a label for a group of gmes. DDO is pretty fun .. i won't care if it is a MMO or not.

Originally posted by Deivos

YOu don't realize why that sounds moronic, do you?

Calling a feature "an MMO feature" implies that it is a key component of what makes an MMO an MMO. A lot of MMOs have graphics, but I wouldn't call it an MMO feature.

Incorrect. If you notice, you just ascribed a different definition to the commentary than what was provided.

You added the suggestion they are 'key components' which is never implied. They were referred to things thast an MMO commonly has, not that an MMO must have.

It is your own need to polarize what I and the original quoted person wrote that skews the reality of what was said. You are constructing straw man arguments as a result and ranting against absolutely nothing.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Still hands down the best ACTION rpg out there.  Yeah other games might have...well really non factor things like no AH, or itemization thats different, or a complex skill tree that really isnt complex once you realize its just fluff stats.

This game does action.  I find it odd that people hail other games that do combat and action worse, still dont have offline play which isnt a factor these days, and has bland itemization that consists of your main stat and resists..

People want a game to hate, when D3 wasnt the end all be all that they had hyped for 12 years...well emotions run high and people take it personally.

The only thing i really think D3 did wrong was make you beat the game 3times over to hit endgame.  Would have been a much better game if you went through the story once and hit endgame.  Then they could just buff the early level maps and allow you to farm them.

Also, the obession for what D2 was, mind you what it was years after launch and after an expansion...its crazy for a bunch of people who wouldnt touch D2 with a 10 foot pole.  Again...all emotions, no ration thoughts with a most of the hate.

When you stack up the real issues people have with D3, its non factor issues and they always miss the major things D3 does right.  Thats a fun fast paced action combat which makes farming loot so much more fun than its competition.  I think the RMAH complaints are the lowest grade complaints of them all.  Doesnt matter what other people do in a game like this, has zero effect on your game and your gameplay.  You dont need to use it, and its handy to have there if you want to see something and end up playing the game for profit.  Also, the D2 fans forget how rampant RMAH was in D2, just on 3rd party sites, and put the money into the hands of those who used offline play to bot...which for all i know are the only people who are acomplaining about either issue.

I roll my eyes at all these "what it should have been" people. We all know they will be back, money in hands for the expansion...and if we remember the expansion is what made an average game that was D2 the classic we all remember it as...though most remember D2 as way better than it actually was.

Anyone else catch the irony of that following my comment on straw-man arguments?