Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help deciding mmo (poll - Rift, Tera or GW2)

memphis12memphis12 Member Posts: 23

I don't get my new laptop until next week so I'm currently watching videos and asking questions on various mmo sites. I have narrowed my search for a good mmo for me to Rift, Guild Wars 2 and Tera. 

I played, loved and breathed Rift for a long time. But, family life came along (kids, fiancé etc) and I left. Money is not important in my decision .. Just the best MMO out of these 3. I know they all differ from one another, GW2 more than most .. But I thought if I good get some input from you guys then it might help me along. 

I'm worried that the lack of dedicated Healers, Tanks etc and "and game" content/loot in GW2 could be a big minus, reviews say otherwise though.

Tera looks beautiful and the combat looks epic.. But the lack of raids and the over the top focus on grind for end game is in the back of my mind. 

I know Rift, but I know for a fact the devs will have fiddled around with class specs and other things so I will feel like a "noob" again.. The new expansion looks epic also. 

I know everyone's choice is personal to them, and the reasons for that choice might be what turns me off from the game, but I'm curious all the same. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• nolins12nolins12 Member Posts: 9
    There are no raids in GW2 either, if endgame is what you are looking for definitely stay away from GW2, your worries about the lack of the holy trinity are correct.
  • memphis12memphis12 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by nolins12
    There are no raids in GW2 either, if endgame is what you are looking for definitely stay away from GW2, your worries about the lack of the holy trinity are correct.

Thanks for the input. Another that is in the back of my mind is LOTR (played that for a while also) 

To be honest raiding isn't my priority, but I do like challenges and things like raids to look forward to. 

What would be your personal choice out of the bunch? 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Without even looking at the results of the poll here are the results... 

1) GW2

2) Rift

3) Tera

I would recomend trying all 3 if you can, I like both GW2 and Rift. GW2 has better combat, Rift has some cool classes. GW2 has better PVE and Rift has better PvP. 

• grvmpybeargrvmpybear Member Posts: 90

Suprisingly, the grind in Tera isn't that noticable in my opinion... the meat of Tera is its combat, so it's only fitting that you'd have to fight  things to progress. Tera also has some cool features I never really heard much about (vanarch system, GvG, etc). 

GW2 is a great game, but it feels meaningless for me. Who knows, maybe I'm a "carrot on a stick" gamer. I quit 2 or so months after launch, but I recently got a new computer so I'm gonna give the new culling free WvW a shot.

I can't really speak for rift... I played the trial to 20 and wasn't impressed enough to pay a sub.

Currently playing: GW2 (Maguuma), DAoC (Uthgard), & Aion
    Waiting For / Watching: TUG, CU, Black Desert, Archeage,Wildstar, and ESO.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'm currently playing Rift and WoW.  There's just nothing that beats either of them in any category, so why play anything else :)
    Originally posted by grvmpybear

Suprisingly, the grind in Tera isn't that noticable in my opinion... the meat of Tera is its combat, so it's only fitting that you'd have to fight  things to progress. Tera also has some cool features I never really heard much about (vanarch system, GvG, etc). 

GW2 is a great game, but it feels meaningless for me. Who knows, maybe I'm a "carrot on a stick" gamer. I quit 2 or so months after launch, but I recently got a new computer so I'm gonna give the new culling free WvW a shot.

I can't really speak for rift... I played the trial to 20 and wasn't impressed enough to pay a sub.

I think mob grind would have increased TERA's popularity. The main issue is the quest grind. 

If it had focused on fighting things to progress it would have been able to stay pay to play longer, but then again maybe not. I just know for most the questing system was the main reason for leaving, or at least thats mainly whats been said on all the forums I frequent. 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    If you are up for something new, play GW2. If you are looking to just chill relax and play something you know? Go for Rift.

This is not a game.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

IMO both EQ2 and LOTRO are better themeparks than Rift or TERA.  GW2 is kind of unique and polarizing, I would B2P GW2 and f2p eq2 (or LOTRO, but I think EQ2 is better and faster to get into).  If you decide you like EQ2 better than GW, sub to EQ2.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm currently playing Rift and WoW.  There's just nothing that beats either of them in any category, so why play anything else :)

I'll second this.  As someone who played WoW for about 5 years until I could no longer bring myself to log in anymore, Rift is another fantastic option.  Honestly, if I had started with Rift, WoW would have seemed pretty pathetic because of Rift's newer systems, better graphics, and awesome class flexibility.  Only WoW can boast 9-10 million players, though. 

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

GW2 will always win out on polls on these forums. A lot of fans of the game frequent here. That being said I would give it to TERA or GW2. It depends on what you want to do. If your casual I would stick to GW2. If your a bit more dedicated I would give TERA a shot. TERA has a bit more emphasis on combat than GW2 and reacting and thinking about your moves before you make them. Some people like that, some don't.  But both games are a decent choice. 

If I had to rank the game in order of me trying/playing them it would go

1. TERA
    2. GW2
    3. RIFT

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Rift to me is very good game with good enough graphics and lot to do, only for sub I still prefer WoW (but it only me). So I woted for Rift.

Tera is somewhat bit grind compare to others, but looks very good!

GW2 is very good looking and gives lot of fun at the begging but very fast game getting boring. Depends on your play time it can last 2-3 months until you'll find out you have nothing much left to do, beside some slow grind, may be. So GW2 is good if you are ok to pay 60$ for max 3 month of playing.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Thanks for the help, keep it coming.

I have heard only good things about EQ2.. But, I couldn't get into it when I tried it. I only tried it for an hour though. I might have to try again LOTR again. I enjoyed what I played, but Rift was always in the back of my mind. 

Guild Wars 2 looks really good... I just don't how dungeons and grouping etc with will work without dedicated healers etc.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Rift I'd lean at but if your looking for the best combat, Tera will be where its at. Tera is improving a lot and is adding raids and such so it can be a good game to play and best off for free now.

Rift itself added a LOT with storm legion. Its got a lot to do now and its really amazing how much they added. Theres a reason why people who don't even like Rift have such a strong respect for Trion.

Guildwars 2... Eh... lets just say it was highly over-rated and one of the weakest AAA games I've played at launch since vanguard, without even having high expectations for it. Try it if you really really want (should give it a chance) but I'd recomend against paying for it else it will likely be gathering dust.  All i can say since you do seem to like dungeons/group play is dungeons are a HUGE mess in their resistance to a trinity, which forces a new kind of trinity which still makes it a mess. No amount of skill can really do much except prevent you from fully wiping. Combat in the game you are definently going to find weaker then Tera or even Rift in terms of both complexity and challenge.

Originally posted by memphis12

I have heard only good things about EQ2.. But, I couldn't get into it when I tried it. I only tried it for an hour though. I might have to try again LOTR again. I enjoyed what I played, but Rift was always in the back of my mind. 

Guild Wars 2 looks really good... I just don't how dungeons and grouping etc with will work without dedicated healers etc.

Dungeons in GW2 take some getting use to. For me it was the best dungeon experience I've had in an MMO. The absence of dedicated healers and such are one of the big selling points for GW2 for many. It's a love or hate thing though. You are either going to love it or hate it. 

Though, something worth noting here is that GW2 is second only to WoW in the west for player numbers. But thats compairing GW2 west with all of WoW. Things may change once GW2 releases in the east. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

hard to say really as everyone has differn't values and likes/dislikes on all aspects of a game.. to me GW2 is an amazing game and probably best MMO released since wow easily.. but again i'm not the type to put thousands of hours into a game in just 6 months.. really though don't let anyone here make up your mind for you as no one here can really say what values will truely grab and interest you in the future..

The Beauty of Guild Wars 2 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Vunak23

1. TERA
    2. GW2
    3. RIFT

GW2 seems to win on popularity polls just because it has a pretty solid playerbase hanging around here, but when I played it there seemed to be no real point to anything.  If I don't need to hit max level to do endgame PVP and I don't need to chase gear to be as powerful as I can... then what is the point?  It just made me miss Rift.  As for Tera, it has awesome combat, but doesn't seem to offer much else, except endless boring quests.  I have it installed, but can't seem to bring myself to play it much.

No, go Rift.  It is the best example out there right now.

1. Rift

2. GW2

3. Tera

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

If you decide to try EQ2 again make sure you go to Antonia Bayle server.  Its more active than the rest (and there is a guild of MMORPG.comers there called INSTINCT). pretty sure they are still active)

Both EQ2 and LOTRO are quite a bit deeper than Rift, but it takes a while before you realize it.

Another game worth a look that gets forgotten about sometimes is AoC.  Its aged pretty well, and if graphics are your thing AoC still looks pretty damn good.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Originally posted by Vunak23

1. TERA
    2. GW2
    3. RIFT

GW2 seems to win on popularity polls just because it has a pretty solid playerbase hanging around here, but when I played it there seemed to be no real point to anything.  If I don't need to hit max level to do endgame PVP and I don't need to chase gear to be as powerful as I can... then what is the point?  It just made me miss Rift.  As for Tera, it has awesome combat, but doesn't seem to offer much else, except endless boring quests.  I have it installed, but can't seem to bring myself to play it much.

No, go Rift.  It is the best example out there right now.

1. Rift

2. GW2

3. Tera

Having played RIFT and TERA both at endgame I have to say TERA has a more interesting endgame because of its combat mechanics. MCHM is particularly fun to do. RIFT and TERA both have tedious and boring level grind so thats a non factor. Both have the standard questing system. 

If your a PVPer also; TERA just got a huge update in K.TERA that introduced sieges and faction PvP. NA will be getting it soon. TERA has Arena/BG's/GvG and OW PvP and a political system on top of it all that can cause some interesting conflict between guilds. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

I know GW2 won, and it is certainly a game worth playing, but I can't help but recommend Tera myself.  I started Tera thinking I would never enjoy it and I can't help but love it! It's not perfect but what game is? 

Certainly try the other two, especially GW2, but I think Tera would surprise you :D

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Voted Tera.

Tera as (and all of this is "in my opinion) the best combat, I prefer its mechanics and in this case the trinity, and some very cool lare monster fights.

Huge world as well.

GW2 is the better game however and if one doesn't have a lot of time could be a main contender. It has nice individual storylines, the open world is nice with the many things going on, though one's mileage may vary on that one, and the art design is top notch.

I loved rift for the invasions but that was pretty much it. Became very disinterested in rift over time as i didn't like the world itself, I found the invasions to be changed since beta and less to my liking.

So either Tera for GW2. Tera is free so try it out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

I'm 100% not a pvp player lol. It wouldn't bothe rme if I never pvp'd in an mmo. 

Im currently watching a video on age of conan ( a spanner in the works, but maybe an interesting wild card for me. ) 

I love mounts, gear, dungeons, being a tank, nice community, guild setup (levelling guild = better perks for to use), lots of skills to use.

im actually leaning more towards Tera. I will try it out next week, for sure. 

I'm 100% not a pvp player lol. It wouldn't bothe rme if I never pvp'd in an mmo. 

Im currently watching a video on age of conan ( a spanner in the works, but maybe an interesting wild card for me. ) 

I love mounts, gear, dungeons, being a tank, nice community, guild setup (levelling guild = better perks for to use), lots of skills to use.

Really sounds like WoW is your best fit, provided you can find a guild that suits you for the community aspect.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

im actually leaning more towards Tera. I will try it out next week, for sure. 

I have a lancer in Tera and I love it. It's one of my favorite classes out of all the games I've played. The game has mounts, gear, dungeons.

Join a non-pvp server and you will be fine. Having said that the community can seem a little suspect so look hard for a good guild.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Really sounds like WoW is your best fit, provided you can find a guild that suits you for the community aspect.

I tried wow.. But, after I had already played Rift. Felt like I was going backwards ..  I missed the boat with wow and would have loved it, had I played it around its release. I just couldn't get into it. A lot of this was down to things I took for granted in rift, needing mods etc in wow. Was to much hassle in the end. 

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

Three great choices if you have the extra cash in your entertainment budget I'd say play them all, why lock yourself down to one mmo. Leave Rift out if you don't want to sub.