Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Marvel Heroes: A Deep Dive Into Marvel Heroes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gazillion Entertainment's Marvel Heroes Online has been in beta testing for a short time. We've been putting on our tights and working the game for all it's worth. Check out our in-depth preview before heading to the comments to chat about it.

Few gamers would question the impact the Diablo franchise has had upon PC gaming. Many of us fondly recall staying up late into the night bashing demons as we plumbed the depths of Hell, and since then, we've tried unsuccessfully to recreate those memories by playing other games. Good news for us—David Brevik, the man behind Diablo and Diablo II, is currently hard at work at Gazillion Entertainment, crafting yet another unforgettable gaming experience. The game is Marvel Heroes, a free-to-play MMORPG that promises to do for superhero-dom what Diablo did for the infernal. 

Read more of Neilie Johnson's Marvel Heroes: A Deep Dive Into Marvel Heroes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Outside of the difficulty level being played up I agree with pretty much everything you stated.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    I thought it broke game immersion to much. Everyone running around as Incredible Hulk ??  No thanks.
  • Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    Immersion or no immersion, I think the fact that this isn't a console title, removes the feeling that might otherwise be impressive. By which I mean to say, as a console title this would be impressive, but in the crowded PC F2P market it just ends up looking like an also-ran before it even launches.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I can certainly see the appeal for Marvel fans. But for someone who doesn't care much about Marvel, the gameplay alone is probably not going to retain players. I don't see anything that Diablo didn't do already.

At least with a game like Path of Exile, they went outside the box with a very unique gem/skill system as well as a super deep character progression.

But the biggest thing that I think will hurt the longevity of Marvel Heroes is the lack of optional PvP.

No have no pvp. That is important to so many potential players.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I, for one, think this game sounds awesome and I will definitly be giving it a try.  I love Marvel superheroes and think it would be more fun to play one of my favorite heroes then creating my own random one.  More then one Hulk running around? So what.  If anything it would be funny and kinda cool seeing a pack of Hulks pulverizing everything. Not sure why so many people think this game will fail.  I think there is a decent market for it and most mmorpg.com users are negative nancy doom sayer snobs so I don't pay them much mind. 
  • PPharoahPPharoah Member Posts: 6

If it's not soloable that will present a problem for many.

Thanks for the preview, definitely concerned about the one inventory for all characters (and lack of slots for loot, frequent returns to HQ KILL the immersion) and the ability to solo when friends are not available to group.

Originally posted by PPharoah

Thanks for the preview, definitely concerned about the one inventory for all characters (and lack of slots for loot, frequent returns to HQ KILL the immersion) and the ability to solo when friends are not available to group.

I solo'd everything but "world bosses" as Scarlet Witch. And yes, that is up through the final teir. However, they are still doing numbers tweaks, and many of those battles took quite a long time.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116

The lack of inventory slots isn't much different from when Diablo launched, and if it really bothers people, I can't imagine it being hard for them to increase it.

And I believe that i heard there were open zones too, that even if you aren't grouped, you can still play with others.

And lastly, in the missions that aren't opened world, where you play with teammates, if it really bothers you to see 5 hulks you can just all agree to run different toons.

I want to see bonuses and combo effects for running certain characters together, like x-men or avengers, or more dinstinct like Asgardians if you were run Thor with Sif(when/if released) and others.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    NDA is still active guys. If you're in the beta, please refrain from posting about your experiences. Thanks!

No it's not like Diablo.  In Diablo we had seperate inventory for EACH character and a shared bank.  There's a big difference.  From the preview it looks like ALL of our characters will share ONE inventory.  For me, I like to be able to put stuff I am not using in an unused character's inventory so it's not cluttering up my shared bank space.

Of course this MMO is still in beta, and things can change, and hopefully will but for right now thats a HUGE concern, and I am very thankful the previewer mentioned it.

Originally posted by jimdandy26

I solo'd everything but "world bosses" as Scarlet Witch. And yes, that is up through the final teir. However, they are still doing numbers tweaks, and many of those battles took quite a long time.

That's excellent news Jim thanks for sharing that, I had already planned on Scarlet Witch as my starting hero.:)

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I'm not in Beta but I think DC Universe Online looks better than this.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster
    I'm not in Beta but I think DC Universe Online looks better than this.

Its a different kind of game, what is your measure of comparison?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Take anything you read about this with a grain of salt. Most of the ppl posting probably only spend a few minutes in beta.

No one has played all the way to the end of the game because the end of the game isn't even in the beta yet.

The game has changed a lot in the 5 months I've been in beta and always for the better. It's still going to change a lot till it comes out. It's a work in progress and should be looked at as such.

The devs are great ppl and are active members of the beta forums. They actually do come in and chat to the players and ask questions. It's a very unique experience as far as betas go. If you like arpgs this is going to be a good one imo.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Curse.com is giving away beta keys, go go go!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    [mod edit]

My thoughts exactly... I usually try to post only constructive stuff and stay away from games I don't like, but as a Marvel fan I need to post in here that I'm sad every time I see MH...

"Few gamers would question the impact the Diablo franchise has had upon PC gaming. Many of us fondly recall staying up late into the night bashing demons"

True, there was a huge impact, no question about it sadly. But there were many of us on the other side as well who loathed what Diablo and its truckload of clones done to the genre and in some aspect the whole gaming scene. So when the first news arrived that the official Marvel (quasi) mmo will be a frikkin diablo-clone, I admit I hoped it's only a bad joke. Turned out it wasn't... :I

And the worst thing is not even that. Many of us were waited for an official Marvel mmo since CoH. With MH those hopes are gone forever. If MH will be a failure (with official Marvel back-up and support, and with Bendis), there's no way that a better / real Marvel mmo will see the light in the future. And if MH will succeed, then the suits will be convinced that they're on the right track, and the crappy console action games like ultimate a**liance & co. is the place where Marvel should be.

I think I check back to CO and sling around Millennium City with my Spidey, seems that's all the only Marvel-ish gameplay I'll have in the next few years...

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

isnt this kinda like marvel ultimate alliance that was on the ps3 and xbox....or xmen legends on the ps2????

i hope it its a great game....one that has longevity like diablo if they gonna put in in the same category as it...also i hope they have more than lets say...10 heroes too..

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

What I find discouraging about this game are the prices. I would really love the writer of the above article to do a review of the rather costly "packs." 

Yes these packs exist in other games, but in things like SMITE or LoL they just aren't at that $59.99 price you see from Marvel Hereos. Which to me is just far too high, regardless of the 4 characters, 8 costumes and $25 of in-game cash or what have you.

Maybe $60 for all hereos and no costumes, or half of the current heroes all with 1 alternate costume, but these prices I feel will be the biggest barrier to drawing players.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

I'm still on the fence with this one.  I enjoyed the Ultimate Alliance games, so this one should be a no-brainer, but there's a few technical aspects of the game that are stopping me from buying a starter pack (I don't see an issue with spending a little money up front if I'm not actually being charged for the game itself).  As others have stated, there's the issue of inventory space (or lack thereof), and I'm wondering if, like the God-awful SWTOR free-to-play model, you'll have to buy what is otherwise considered basic perks of a game, like inventory and travel abilities.

My other concern is the control scheme.  Now, I haven't had the opportunity to get hands-on with this game (hopefully I will before launch), but it seems like it's click to move, click the baddie and continue clicking to fight.  That doesn't strike me as immersive combat.  

As a Marvel fan, I hope that my concerns are eliminated once I get a chance to play.  

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

As a longtime Marvel fan (read comics since I was a kid, 30 years ago), I would not touch this game with a 10-foot pole. The idea to have several, tens and maybe houndreds, of iconic Marvel heroes running around is utter nonsense. 

If they wanted to use playable Marvel heroes, they should have gone for a single player or limited multiplayer game, NOT an MMO!

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    just remember everyone: the guy leading this game is the same guy who led hellgate london

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    *Is* this game even an MMO?  Seems like it's all instanced, a la guild wars..
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

not....an...mmo

i like PoE, i tolerated D3, i really liked D2.... they arnt mmo's either

all i am reading is "buy health potions ... 700 for $1!!!!!!"  I want to believe the cash shop wont suck the soul out of the game... but i wont hold my breath after seeing the cost of their character packs.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    This game seems like a heavy cash shop MMO to my dismay since I am a huge Marvel fan but the cash shop is not for me so I will not be playing it.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Yamota

As a longtime Marvel fan (read comics since I was a kid, 30 years ago), I would not touch this game with a 10-foot pole. The idea to have several, tens and maybe houndreds, of iconic Marvel heroes running around is utter nonsense. 

If they wanted to use playable Marvel heroes, they should have gone for a single player or limited multiplayer game, NOT an MMO!

Ya is this Marvel's next secret wars chapter? It might as well be. lol