Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The End of Culling

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Guild Wars 2 site has been updated with a new developer post that lays out some of the details about forthcoming changes to the world vs world system. Called "culling", the development feature made some enemy players invisible. With the upcoming patch, culling will be turned off completely.

Normally as you move through the world, any character (either an NPC or another player) within a fairly large circle around you gets reported to your client. This lets the client draw the character, allows you to select the character as an attack target, etc.

In order to cut down on the network resources that were used by the game and to reduce the client-side system requirements, we implemented a culling system, which imposed a limit on the number of characters that could ever be reported to your client. This meant that only the characters closest to you would actually get reported.

Read more about culling on the Guild Wars 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Good for those that still play it. Its just sad, that it wont fix the really pointless pvp in this game.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by exile01
    Good for those that still play it. Its just sad, that it wont fix the really pointless pvp in this game.

most all themepark MMO pvp is pointless imho you do it for the fun of it. Very glad they sorted out the culling issues though, will be happy to jump into WvW more after the update

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

Don't really understand what this guy means by pointless, considering WvW performance has an effect on your entire realm.

But on topic, this is awesome news.  It was really difficult to judge just how damn many people there were before, especially when all 3 sides met.

Originally posted by fat_taddler
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

most all themepark MMO pvp is pointless imho you do it for the fun of it. Very glad they sorted out the culling issues though, will be happy to jump into WvW more after the update

[mod edit]

yes because making a 1 line post takes oh so much time... you try working 12 hour shifts with nothing to do..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by fat_taddler
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

[mod edit]

She "gushes" over other mmos too so I guess she/he has to get quite a lot of money from different companies.

Or maybe just maybe she/he actually enjoys current mmos and is not living in a past with nostalgia glasses on like most of this forum posters who are endlessly unhappy.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Can't wait been in WvW alot as of late and doing dailys and Dragons but mostly WvW and enjoying it alot. This will be nice to see when mass battles are happening now I will be able to see the army attacking us.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    This is gonna be good :)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Doesn't matter since GW2 turned out to be just another eye-candy filled button-masher with no real content or fluff to give it longevity. Unfortunately
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Regarding the topic, I wonder what the allegedly outraged players who 'quit' this game due to 'unplayable' culling will hate on now.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    A good first step but there's still a LONG way to make WvW fun. Let's see how they implement progression...
  • MegatronicMegatronic Member Posts: 35
    Too many overly "cynical" posters on the net, we get it you are angsty and mad at the mmo world.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    And people said it could not be done...pfft! Great for ArenaNet! They continue to support this great game this way and it will continue to grow. I would imagine we will see 5 million boxes shifted by the end of the year. This combined with WvW progression will make an already immensely popular part of the game even more popular. The only concern I have with this is the que times =/ 
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

why attack her when there is like about 3 or 4 others here that are far worse than she is. Also shes just not as jaded as us obviously and can see the glass half full so I dont get the need to call her on someones pay roll because she likes gaming....

Also pointless pvp? what let me guess people saying pointless must be the cool kids that want to camp noobs in open world pvp and full loot everyones corpse..... they are adding in a world vs world leveling progression system for long term goals so I do not get how this sort of pvp is anything worse than any games out there currently but maybe darkfall which is a steaming pile of dog turds or the old shadowbane At least GW2 doesnt have a crappy gear treadmill for pvp like all these other crappy games like wow and rift where pvp is just about who has the most time and best gear. This games pvp is better than most out there but DAOC maybe. Pointless pvp is not really even an argument to use here considering name one successful game that has more pvp progression in it that makes its pvp so much better.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    To late uninstalled 4 life. Shame to cause I would have at least enjoyed the WvW back when this game was "fun"

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Originally posted by Celcius
    And people said it could not be done...pfft! Great for ArenaNet! They continue to support this great game this way and it will continue to grow. I would imagine we will see 5 million boxes shifted by the end of the year. This combined with WvW progression will make an already immensely popular part of the game even more popular. The only concern I have with this is the que times =/ 

i think the culling was introduced bcause so man played wvwvw in th first month. YOu had to wait hours to get in. Now since population decreased drastically-they can afford it. I also think thank that more data on te screen-more traffic for them and higher cost.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Too late for me, left the game 2 months ago. Playing starcraft 2's expansion now and enjoying myself a lot more than I ever did with Guild Wars 2 :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

i think the culling was introduced bcause so man played wvwvw in th first month. YOu had to wait hours to get in. Now since population decreased drastically-they can afford it. I also think thank that more data on te screen-more traffic for them and higher cost.

Uh you really are clueless. It has nothing to do with data transfer costs (lol). It was a forced rendering issue that was in place to ensure your computer didnt explode or slow down to an unplayable point, which they have now fixed and provided options for.

Furthermore, WvW always has queues at every time of the day for my server. Which means it is always full. How do you figure that the WvW population has decreased drastically?

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Baby steps. :) Let's hope there's a cure in the future for the 3 heavy thread syndrome plaguing those of us without massively overclocked and watercooled cpus :)
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    To late uninstalled 4 life. Shame to cause I would have at least enjoyed the WvW back when this game was "fun"

It is never too late. For those who pvp on regular basis would love this.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by evilastro

Uh you really are clueless. It has nothing to do with data transfer costs (lol). It was a forced rendering issue that was in place to ensure your computer didnt explode or slow down to an unplayable point, which they have now fixed and provided options for.

Furthermore, WvW always has queues at every time of the day for my server. Which means it is always full. How do you figure that the WvW population has decreased drastically?

Well the GW2 hype is over and bad words are spreading around the web about how boring it is. And many players who bought the game play less and less because it gets old very fast. And well we all know how horrible bad the pvp is- especially those like me who grow up with DAOC, Shadowbane and GW1. We like complexity over simplicity, wich GW2 is really all about- simple and boring. And its quite easy for a engineer to set up the number of players that play wvwvw to a lower point, and decreasing the serverspeed to fit that new population that is allowed.  You still will have to queue for wvwvw but the population is lower. Ofc you wont notice that, because you never faced all players at once.

I wish really GW2 success but it wont hold playerpopulation like in GW1. Even since GW2 was such a dissapoining game for many- GW1 instaed, gained a player boost-because of its complex mechanics. And lets face it, GW2 pvp is a huge mess, you dont really know whats going on, where in GW1 you had perfect control over the fights. I still wish them good luck, even when i think the original developers have already jumped off to another project or company.

Welll answering your question with another- Did you know why you dont have your own condition stack dmg- but instead no matter who hits-if it gets to 25 it wont go any further. Anet explained that if everyone would have had theyr own stacks, the bandwith ussage would go so high that the server costs were just to much in gw2 lifetime. IT was a pure business decision- like i think the same reason could apply to the reason why culling was added. Either way, technology is always bound with business decisions.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This is 1 of the 2 reasons I stopped playing. Now they just need to fix it so people dont zurg from boss to boss in dungeons and I will start playing again. Just not fun!!!! For now I will come back to do some WvW.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    This is 1 of the 2 reasons I stopped playing. Now they just need to fix it so people dont zurg from boss to boss in dungeons and I will start playing again. Just not fun!!!! For now I will come back to do some WvW.

I don't remember where (I think on forum) but Arenanet mentioned they will be revamping world boss fights and it's won't be just autoattack for win. One of the most challenging world fights I had is definatelly Grenth which requires player coordination (someone got to enter the portal and defend the npc from wraiths while others fight the boss) and that event can be quite hard and often players fail, no mather how many people are participating. I think Arenanet can go that way, make boss fight little more tactical. Nothing too advanced but enough challenging for it to have a chance at failing.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

the zerg spawning in dungeons was already removed if thats what you are reffering to.. although not sure how you could consider a 5 man dungeon a "zerg" but the spawn point rushing was removed:)

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

Good news... you can always reinstall for free. Your account also never goes away. It's never too late for GW2. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Hopefully the skill lag in massive fights will be fixed aswell.