Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Update 04 Goes Live

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

PlanetSide 2 players will want to head into the game to check out the big new patch that has just gone live. The update features a great new 'virtual reality' training area for new players to learn the game mechanics.

• Try before you buy - VR Training Area

•  ALL weapons, vehicles and attachments are available for players to test out in the NEW VR Training area. Providing soldiers with the most advanced weaponry instruction possible, this combat simulation area will allow thorough testing of firearms and vehicle weaponry prior to taking them into battle.
  • Get ready to rumble!

• The Flash now seats two! Bring a worthy passenger and charge into battle with proper cover. There's also a new Wraith cloaking module and S12 Renegade shotgun available NOW for the Flash. With new stealth abilities, this Flash upgrade will allow Infiltrators to move completely undetected for a short period of time. 
  • Better tools, better soldiers

• The respawn screen and map have been merged giving players easier access to the information that they need while deploying. Take note, there's now a manual zoom on the minimap.

• Passive Cert Gain

• Just because they need a little R&R doesn't mean players can't continue to stay battle ready.  Players will now gain increased certifications while not in active combat. 
  • And much more:

• Check the full patch notes to read more about platoon management, increased XP for vehicle kills and updates to Membership!

Read more about the patch in Matt Higby's letter on the PlanetSide 2 forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by Geebus80

[mod edit]

Or, or if you wanted a game that had great graphics yet neglected to use any more than 5% of your GPU processing power to power those graphics creating unbelievable cpu bottlenecks even in low res/setting territory then Planetside 2 is probably right down your alley!

But don't be fooled! Just because your PC can run Crysis 3 at max settings dont expect to just barge into PS2 all willy nilly and get a steady smooth 60fps.. Oooh  noo.. PS2 is a game of the future.. Wayyyyy before its time with its groundbreaking graphics engine.. Impossible to optimize it's so cutting edge..

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Probally one of the best games to release last year..

Its not horribly balanced, it has physics.. and yes suprise suprise its not realistic...

Also other than early on in beta I have not had any performance issues so unless its a recent thing as i must admit its been about a month since i played last then im not sure what your talking about with performance issues.

Also this patch has soem realyl godo features and they are all features the community has been asking for...

Good job SOE for continuing to listen to the community even after release..
  • SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Please update your link to the most complete listing of Game Update Notes.  You linked us to the old notes:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/server-downtime-03-13-2013.103289/

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

I like it and its fun. Some balance tweaks I dont agree with but what to do :P

Play it from time to time as its the only game of its kind

• KyosnaiKyosnai Member Posts: 7

I just want to know how many people know what "realistic combat" or "realistic/believable firing mechanics" really is? I'm a combat vet with real life experience. Realism is NOT what you want. Plus, it's a damn VIDEO GAME. 

On another note, Planetside 2 is definitely one of the better FPS's of this 'generation'.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Kyosnai

I just want to know how many people know what "realistic combat" or "realistic/believable firing mechanics" really is? I'm a combat vet with real life experience. Realism is NOT what you want. Plus, it's a damn VIDEO GAME. 

On another note, Planetside 2 is definitely one of the better FPS's of this 'generation'.

Vet here as well, and no, I would not recommend 'real' combat as a way of relaxing.  The game is fun and entertaining the only reason I do not play any more is the rinse and repeat, it is always the same thing over and over.  Gets old, quick.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Probally one of the best games to release last year..

Its not horribly balanced, it has physics.. and yes suprise suprise its not realistic...

Also other than early on in beta I have not had any performance issues so unless its a recent thing as i must admit its been about a month since i played last then im not sure what your talking about with performance issues.

Also this patch has soem realyl godo features and they are all features the community has been asking for...

Good job SOE for continuing to listen to the community even after release..

Agreed.  Best shooter I've played.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

Yeah, that's right, mmorpg.com is the place to be for those seeking realism in gaming.

And, no, PS2 is not horribly balanced. 

When in doubt, troll.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Though It's personal preference, I'd say PS2 is much better then all the other FPS junk out there like Battlefield and CoD.

If you're mocking it i doubt you've tried more then a few hours of organized group play.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Takes forever to earn enough cert points to open new weapons without paying buckets of real money. Not worth my time.
  • RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    Takes forever to earn enough cert points to open new weapons without paying buckets of real money. Not worth my time.

only if you suck at fps style games

good cooperative teamplay can get lots of certs for upgrading quickly.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    great game but there is only so long i can play it for before getting board.
  • mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by MrBoots

Well they have the new VR area to test out weapons so you get to test what you need or like, and you dont need every single weapon, for instance i have the weapons i want for my preferd style of play, now all i do is save certs, i did pay some money into Ps2, but all i brought was 1 gun and camo's. There is no requirement for any of the guns really as what they start you with are really good.