Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: XFire Turns Ten

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

If you want to feel old, take in the news that XFire is now a decade old. We managed to catch up to CEO Paul Kim to talk about XFire, where it's been and where it's going. Check it out before heading to the comments.

MMORPG.com: Congratulations on ten years of Xfire! The site has been synonymous with MMOs for the last decade. What is the secret to its longevity?

Paul Kim: Xfire was one of the first companies to focus on building a product and site for the hardcore gamer. It supplied something incredibly new and technologically advanced: A way for you to see what games your friends were playing and to join them easily. Then Xfire added an in-game overlay that allowed you to chat and VOIP while in-game and across different games. The idea that one gamer playing WoW could chat with his/her friend who was playing Call of Duty and could invite them with a single click was pretty cutting-edge at the time. Further, we supplied this to gamers as a free service and product. Adoption came quickly as Xfire continued to add features and support for the avid gamer.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's XFire Turns Ten.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    10 years old and everyone is moving to the much superior Raptr made by the former creator of Xfire. RIP Xfire.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by spyder2k5
    10 years old and everyone is moving to the much superior Raptr made by the former creator of Xfire. RIP Xfire.

Was it made by the dude that made Xfire? I think Xfire as a whole works better than Raptr, but raptr has a lot of features that work well and are different than xfire like the rewards system, and the tracking of xbox games. But it stillhas a lot of issues that need to be ironed out. It sometimes will randomly pop up in game like 10 times in a row for me, plus it uses a lot more resources than xfire does.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Funny that X-Fire gets an article, but if you cite it in a subforum, you get an automatic mod-edit or thread lock.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by spyder2k5

Was it made by the dude that made Xfire? I think Xfire as a whole works better than Raptr, but raptr has a lot of features that work well and are different than xfire like the rewards system, and the tracking of xbox games. But it stillhas a lot of issues that need to be ironed out. It sometimes will randomly pop up in game like 10 times in a row for me, plus it uses a lot more resources than xfire does.

Yep, Dennis Fong, AKA "Thresh".

Now if you really want to feel old, it's been 16 years since Thresh won John Carmack's Ferrari. :)

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Bah!

Who uses that bloatware nowadays!

Anyways Happy Birthday XFire.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Site update/change was a bad move for the casual browser like me.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"