Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are some MMO ideas|| Ideas that can go into a MMO?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I want to start a blog about MMO ideas.

I would like to read and see some ideas that the creative people here can think up.

This could something totally original, or something that enhance current gen mechanics, or something that enhance a game thats already out.

just any idea would do. share it for discussion.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• c0mf0rTc0mf0rT Member Posts: 2
    how about a high resolution lobby area (as good as high end single player games) into a standard mmo quality graphics game. The open world doesn't have to be amazing, but it would be great to have a lobby to show off your character in super high rez. The lobby can just be a place to chat and meet up for party's or guild recruits. It can be hosted by a different server, and if the game designed to it, there could be multiple "lobby's".  There would be less of a sacrifice over gameplay vs graphics.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by c0mf0rT
    how about a high resolution lobby area (as good as high end single player games) into a standard mmo quality graphics game. The open world doesn't have to be amazing, but it would be great to have a lobby to show off your character in super high rez. The lobby can just be a place to chat and meet up for party's or guild recruits. It can be hosted by a different server, and if the game designed to it, there could be multiple "lobby's".  There would be less of a sacrifice over gameplay vs graphics.

sounds like Guild Hall/Instanced Housing with a different name.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    SLOW them down. When you are smashing buttons, think Street Fighter, then the game can not support an active community. No one has the chance to talk to other people when it is that fast. Make the game have HARD PVE so that they are united against it. This helps band them together. Eliminate "hand holding." The players should have to figure out things for themselves.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

One of the designs I find most intriguing is the original Guild Wars.

Town -> Private Instanced Overland With PVE Objective -> Town

It provided a decent PVE experience that was free of PKs / griefing, and was capable of handling cooperative play.  The major change I'd look at is setting the max group to 4, and limiting the henchman to 1 per player character.  A duo team, both players would each have a henchmen.  A quad team would be entirely players.  Soloers entering the area would get the same content, but scaled down for solo play (2 counting the henchman if hired).

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • c0mf0rTc0mf0rT Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

not really no. A public lobby for lots of players to be at, not a instance for a particular few.

Originally posted by Magiknight
    SLOW them down. When you are smashing buttons, think Street Fighter, then the game can not support an active community. No one has the chance to talk to other people when it is that fast. Make the game have HARD PVE so that they are united against it. This helps band them together. Eliminate "hand holding." The players should have to figure out things for themselves.

I am not sure what you mean by slow down. have example in MMO terms.

not really no. A public lobby for lots of players to be at, not a instance for a particular few.

but wouldnt the lobby be an instance? at which players from the public can enter and exit at will in large numbers?

seems very similar to Guild Halls/ Instanced Housing like in Rift.

Care to elaborate on the difference?

Mostly, the combat. Draw out the battles so they last a while. While you're fighting a monster you should be able to communicate with your team mates using a keyboard. So you can't just be spamming one skill after the next. Make people think about what skills they will have to use and coordinate with their team mates. Maybe long cool downs on the skills. Put in some down time between fights.

Most battles I am in in "modern" mmos involves running from one monster to the next to spam the same buttons over and over again. It doesn't matter if you're with solo or in a group.

Mostly, the combat. Draw out the battles so they last a while. While you're fighting a monster you should be able to communicate with your team mates using a keyboard. So you can't just be spamming one skill after the next. Make people think about what skills they will have to use and coordinate with their team mates. Maybe long cool downs on the skills. Put in some down time between fights.

Most battles I am in in "modern" mmos involves running from one monster to the next to spam the same buttons over and over again. It doesn't matter if you're with solo or in a group.

ok but what will you be doing during these long periods between attacks?

Since there are other people around, hopefully connecting with them. If everyone's hand isn't being held in the game then they will be able to exchange information about how to do things in the game. They can talk about things they have figured out. Like a quest someone found or a really rare treasure or monster or tactic. fOf course, they could also talk about real world things. If the world is dangerous and, again, your hand isn't being held, then they might be preparing for their next fight.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

for quests

auto get all quests from whever the hell u are (with auto track/move to its locations), or have the option to get all quests from wherever you are, along with dynamic events/quests & secret unlockable quests from certain conditions

for everything else i have no clue

i wants dot hack

hallo ~_~

Originally posted by rommello

for quests

auto get all quests from whever the hell u are (with auto track/move to its locations), or have the option to get all quests from wherever you are, along with dynamic events/quests & secret unlockable quests from certain conditions

i wants dot hack

This is a great example of having your hand held in an MMO

Since there are other people around, hopefully connecting with them. If everyone's hand isn't being held in the game then they will be able to exchange information about how to do things in the game. They can talk about things they have figured out. Like a quest someone found or a really rare treasure or monster or tactic. fOf course, they could also talk about real world things. If the world is dangerous and, again, your hand isn't being held, then they might be preparing for their next fight.

But why slow down combat to do this? you can already do this. people talk all the time.

for quests

i wants dot hack

not at all. Seem more like that person describe having a system that auto gives quest when you enter area, similar to GW2's events and hearts, so you can explore and gain quest and never have to go to a quest giver or hub to ask for the quest first. it just starts whenever you are near it.

seem like a good idea. didnt like how GW2 did it, but it can be done better.

But why slow down combat to do this? you can already do this. people talk all the time.

People can not spam skills nonstop and type coherent sentences at the same time. It's physically impossible.

for quests

i wants dot hack

not at all. Seem more like that person describe having a system that auto gives quest when you enter area, similar to GW2's events and hearts, so you can explore and gain quest and never have to go to a quest giver or hub to ask for the quest first. it just starts whenever you are near it.

seem like a good idea. didnt like how GW2 did it, but it can be done better.

You also never have to explore or wonder where quests are. If by "enhance" you mean "simplify" then it's a good idea.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

I don't really see the point of making this thread if your just going to interrogate people for sharing their desires and interests.  Perhaps you should try being a little more inviting and interested in what ppl are sharing and ask them to detail their interest rather than generalizing their opinion and simply taking their interest for granted...

Personally, I could come up with a dozen solutions for anyones preferance in the next ten minutes, and have endless complex details on how to improve all sorts of gameplay types, and create all new ones... but why the hell would I just give them away?, and why would I just give them to someone whose not thoughtful and open to others interests?

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Character Creation screen with an art program that lets you design your character and armor.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

People can not spam skills nonstop and type coherent sentences at the same time. It's physically impossible.

In-game VOIP.  It's a thing now in some places.  One of the better things the modern MMO has come up with, IMO.

Not that I disagree with the general idea of slowing things down; a little more adaptive-strategy over muscle-memory in games would be very much to my liking, among other things.  And slower content-churn would give the devs more time to come up with better content in general, at least for developers without Blizzard's fat pockets.

Originally posted by BahamutKaiser

I don't really see the point of making this thread if your just going to interrogate people for sharing their desires and interests.  Perhaps you should try being a little more inviting and interested in what ppl are sharing and ask them to detail their interest rather than generalizing their opinion and simply taking their interest for granted...

Personally, I could come up with a dozen solutions for anyones preferance in the next ten minutes, and have endless complex details on how to improve all sorts of gameplay types, and create all new ones... but why the hell would I just give them away?, and why would I just give them to someone whose not thoughtful and open to others interests?

well on a blog, people will talk about the idea. the OP should be open to people questioning the idea or even criticizing the idea.

I have had many ideas over the years of playing MMOs. Been criticized every single time. I remember on WoW forum back in the day I would post ideas and get bashed big time and called a troll

until one day Blizzard employee contacted me in the game about my idea and added to the game and in future expansions. even came back to me when they had trouble coming up with solution and ideas for fixing certain gameplay issues.

The bashing of ideas should be welcolmed honestly, if you looking for perfection.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

If they were seeking to come up with good ideas and looking for critisizm, not if they were invited to share their interests.

Your asking ppl for their ideas, so instead of asking them to meet your criteria, you should either A: figure out what they want based on what their saying and come up with a solution for their problem, outside of their misperceptions, or B: invite them to figure out a solution with your help so you can find a method that meets a combination of different interests...

I'm a rather critical person myself, but I critique behavior. If someone give me their gameplay thoughts I can make solutions for them in an instant, they arn't mistaken just because they didn't articulate what they ment effectively or haven't taken the time or effort to figure out a solution for their interest, their interests are still their interests.

As for the guy who asked for combat to slow down so he can socialize and create bonds again in MMOs... well I already gave a solution for that in another thread just a day or two ago. There is a solution for everything, and in the virtual world, their easy to generate with a creative mind.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• phumbabaphumbaba Member Posts: 138

I'm bored enough atm so I'll give it a shot:)

The topic is extremely wide. From my perspective, the ideas for an mmorpg need to begin from

- what is feasible to balance sufficiently and

- what is the level of choice and freedom to give to the players

E.g. for mechanics, these days I enjoy non-targeting combat. To balance that, speed and abilities need to be made up while keeping in mind hp-levels, ranged vs. melee, different gvg, healing, aoe vs. single target, cc etc. My suggestion for that would be to not give out a reasonable balance first and then patch the hell out of it. If it can't be made right on paper, it probably can't be made right later on in the game. Further, I would enjoy seeing to some extent normalized pvp options i.e. remove most gear effect from many aspects of pvp (not of course all).

Then the christmas present list. You've probably seen most or all of it before. Dear Santa,

I want to see more ways of displaying my character, achievements, thoughts, memorable moments, what I like and dislike. In-game. I want the creative side of the players to directly affect politics, sceneries, bosses, flora, guilds in-game. I want more freedom in the outlook of things my character crafts. I want tribal aggro systems in some instances and in some OW locations. I want the aggro algorithm to be intelligent and to be taught well. I want tank&spank to be ok, but I want other options to be sometimes better and always viable, without instances being too easy. I want to see more diverse classes, more complex multiclass / class changing systems, more environmental aspects (e.g. sudden earth-quakes, rain making the ground slippery or muddy, hurricanes, tsunamise etc). I want to control an instance as I would play rts while a group is trying to clear it. I want some of my character's deaths to be a give and take of sorts, which really has an impact on my character. I want alternatives to endgame: reincarnation or alternative progression systems (besides gear). I want pvp to be balanced enough at certain lvl frequences so that I don't have to be max lvl to play even remotely fair pvp. I want the most challenging content to be truly challenging, but not be so much about numbers to not make players discriminate based on itemscore or such.

Dear Santa, you'll grant my wishes, won't you?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Look up destiny. Have seamless matching, and instanced world that response to you, then a persistent world.