Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad taste from Warhammer Online and now CU?

Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

I'm not %100 sure to trust Mark Jacobs after the WHO thing.

Many promises he made was broken.

So is CU going to be different?

Thoughts?

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
Look up Agenda 21 as well.

Comments

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

behind MJ was EA and Games Workshop.

He didnt make the final decisions. Big companies aim for lots of money first, MJ aims at making a good game.

So i think yes it will be very different, and much better than WAR.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

He didnt make the final decisions. Big companies aim for lots of money first, MJ aims at making a good game.

MJ is a joke of a dev who refused to listen to the playerbase. I think everyone who played Warhammer Online and or listened to his podcasts can agree to his notorious quote - "It's working as intended."

working as intented can mean so much :) like who's intentions ? but anyways, we could argue for hours, guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135

I did not hear to clear when he left and why.

I loved WHO, but it came down hard. Liked the game but seems it was sentenced to a slow painful death.

WHO was the 1st CE game I ever bought and my last I think.

I loved DAoC tons so when I saw CU and his name I got mixed emotions.

Hope it does turn out well.  WOuld be very nice to be playing a great sequal to DAoC.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Thornz2000

Thoughts?

That's your point of view, but I played both and don't feel that way at all. I've been in beaurocratic environments

before and know how frustrating they can be. I'm not excusing him from any blame, but I wouldn't try to hold him solely responsible either. A lot of elements came together with the war situation. There can be all sorts of voices in a room of ideas. The one that improves business numbers will win out every time. Tis especially occurs when companies are worried about quarterly numbers/reports so go for short term benefit and ignore long term harm.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Gamers are so unforgiving.  Name one developer that didn't make an "average" game.  I liked WAR a lot, the PvP was great, it had great potential but it failed because it released too early and was rushed.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Thoughts?

Dont expect to get anything here other than watered down excuses. For example, no doubt everyone will say War was the fault of a big evil corporate entity and nothing was Jacobs fault...even though the man himself says most of it was his fault and even talks at length about the mistakes with DaoC.

So even he himself says he was at fault.

So, look at CU itself, see that the game is being based on the same ideas as DaoC, a 12 year old game showing even more that he hasnt evoled as a game maker and really loves old outdated forms of gameplay.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• tokeshtokesh Member Posts: 35

Unforgiving? Right.

The next SimCity will probably outsell the current one. 

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Give me a break.

MJ was solely responsible for that WHO fiasco. Blaming EA is like blaming your boss for your screw up. Any "leader" who can't successfully manage his superiors isn't much of a leader at all.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

bad taste from Warhammer Online

Bad taste??

You do know that there is nothing really wrong with WAR except for the instanced battleground implementation (which it don't need), the imbalance of 2 factions war and the fact that it was prematurely released (because of pressure frm EA) rite?

And the fact that it came out at the wrong time - came out during the pinnacle days of WoW, just like AoC, and got beaten to the bloodly pulp by WoW.

WAR was NOT a bad game. Just not a good enough game.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

Give me a break.

MJ was solely responsible for that WHO fiasco. Blaming EA is like blaming your boss for your screw up. Any "leader" who can't successfully manage his superiors isn't much of a leader at all.

You ever heard of being micromanaged? Yea EA is notorious for that. Just look at EA's past and you won't be so up in arms about it being all MJ's fault. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

^ This, Mark Jacobs pretty much got his hands tied by GW & EA and their pursuit of WoW's crown, and anyone can see that if they look at how stuff went down. His reluctance to drag people through the mud (who certainly deserved it) shows a character that is rare in the corporate world & rarer still in game development, integrity intact.

I look forward to see what he can doi in CU without those shackles, and I think CU will be a better title to judge him as failure or not.

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86

If you don't believe in the project or developer don't pledge. You're not going to hurt anyone's feelings.

For those who keep posting just to bash Mark Jacobs, maybe you need a new hobby? Not sure how the man's video game ruined your life. WAR didn't live up to what it should have been, but since the early years what MMO has? Still crying about it on the internet five years later is a bit obsessive.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by Skuz

^ This, Mark Jacobs pretty much got his hands tied by GW & EA and their pursuit of WoW's crown, and anyone can see that if they look at how stuff went down. His reluctance to drag people through the mud (who certainly deserved it) shows a character that is rare in the corporate world & rarer still in game development, integrity intact.

I look forward to see what he can doi in CU without those shackles, and I think CU will be a better title to judge him as failure or not.

+1

Well said Skuz

Give me a break.

Love the armchair forum devs, that probably can manage EA and their "superiors".

LOL

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

bad taste from Warhammer Online

Bad taste??

You do know that there is nothing really wrong with WAR except for the instanced battleground implementation (which it don't need), the imbalance of 2 factions war and the fact that it was prematurely released (because of pressure frm EA) rite?

And the fact that it came out at the wrong time - came out during the pinnacle days of WoW, just like AoC, and got beaten to the bloodly pulp by WoW.

WAR was NOT a bad game. Just not a good enough game.

U missed my next post. I did like WHO alot.

I thought it was fun.... was sad to see it die.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Even tho war didn't completely work out, I enjoyed it a lot for 2 or 3 years. What killed it for me was 2 faction instead of 3, and the endless gear grind...

i still enjoy it more than world of warcrapt

It's target player base is like 10 to 18 year olds now.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Originally posted by Vunak23

Give me a break.

You ever heard of being micromanaged? Yea EA is notorious for that. Just look at EA's past and you won't be so up in arms about it being all MJ's fault. 

So you know this because you are an employee of EA?

No decent leader ever allows himself to be micromanaged. You've obviously never worked in a large corporation. When your budget and resources are on the line, you'll fight for it. You'll never get any respect from your keepers if you don't.

Which is probably MJ's problem. No respect. No credibility.

Optional PvP = No PvP
    Originally posted by tokesh

Unforgiving? Right.

The next SimCity will probably outsell the current one. 

That is a good point actually.  I should say the 1% minority that always screams and yells on forums are so unforgiving.  I guess the opinions don't matter after all?

Give me a break.

No decent leader ever allows himself to be micromanaged. You've obviously never worked in a large corporation. When your budget and resources are on the line, you'll fight for it. You'll never get any respect from your keepers if you don't.

What utter "utopian" nonsense.  I don't know what reality you live in, but it isn't this one.

Originally posted by SoMuchMass

Give me a break.

Love the armchair forum devs, that probably can manage EA and their "superiors".

LOL

Four years at IBM, 17 years at Microsoft, 2 at EMC, and currently at Amazon.

I'd be happy to PM you a copy of my resume or a url to my LinkedIn profile.

Optional PvP = No PvP

Give me a break.

LOL

Please do.

I would like to see any "accomplishment".  More likely to be a "yes man"?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Give me a break.

LOL

Sorry how is what your resume is, diverse as it might be, relevant to what MJ's role and influence is in EA?

I fail to see the connection here, and it is quite a irrelevant response to a slightly sacastic comment from the previous poster, which was more directing on what we know about what internally happened between MJ and EA (which is pretty much nothing, REGARDLESS of how beautiful your resume might be).

Give me a break.

LOL

Please do.

I would like to see any "accomplishment".  More likely to be a "yes man"?

On it's way.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • RaefarRaefar Member UncommonPosts: 29

Give me a break.

So did you like DAOC? If so you have to admit that 50% of the MMOs hes made were good.  I'll admit WHO wasnt the greatest game however I had a fun playing it for 3 years.  Also I believe what  Vunak is talking about is the EA Louse rant article, it was a forum post where a person claiming to be a Mythic employee that was about to be laid off goes into say that Jeff Hickman was to blame for most of WHO failures.

This discussion has been closed.