Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Is the world open?

tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon

I know the quests are linear, etc., but how open is the world? Can I walk to those mountains in the distance if I wanted to? Or those buildings and towers I see miles away?

I have feeling it will not be open at all, just because of how linear the levelling is. Reminds me a bit of SWTOR.

Must say, the Foundry sounds really nice.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,474Member Uncommon
  • OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon

Dungeons and Events | Team-based, five-person instances brimming with traps, monsters and treasure, and unique zone events, dungeons and public missions.

Pretty much sums it up on the front page ;)

• tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Onomas

Dungeons and Events | Team-based, five-person instances brimming with traps, monsters and treasure, and unique zone events, dungeons and public missions.

I don't mind if it is zoned, I would prefer a seemless huge world, but I know that is not going to happen in this game. But even with zones on within a zone, can you go off the beaten track and explore or is this another SWTOR?

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,474Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tuppe99

I don't mind if it is zoned, I would prefer a seemless huge world, but I know that is not going to happen in this game. But even with zones on within a zone, can you go off the beaten track and explore or is this another SWTOR?

I don't think it will live up to your standards of perfection.  it does have zones .

• RyukanRyukan Mason, MIPosts: 706Member Uncommon
    Got to lvl 20 and the maps didn't leave a lot of room for exploring. The main city hub for Neverwinter wasn't all that big either. Overall the individual zones as far as I made it felt kind of small to me. Perhaps the maps get bigger in the later levels, I didn't get a chance to get that far in the BWE.
  • EtherignisEtherignis philadelphia, PAPosts: 246Member
    I cant wait until thus game go OB
  • gillrmngillrmn ArnhemPosts: 250Member

I know the quests are linear, etc., but how open is the world? Can I walk to those mountains in the distance if I wanted to? Or those buildings and towers I see miles away?

I have feeling it will not be open at all, just because of how linear the levelling is. Reminds me a bit of SWTOR.

Check out my foundry's non-linear quest in beta weekend 3. It is ready to rock.

Its name is "The Wild Moon(mote) Chase" part of campaign "Maiden in the Moon"

I could have made it much mor non-linear but it is first quest so before going for 100% non-linearity, I decided to add a bit of linear backbone here and there.

However you will find all the ements of non-linearity and more.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus BaatorPosts: 1,113Member Uncommon

No you can't walk to those mountinas in the distance, the world is zoned and each zone is kind of small. I havent played Swtor so can't really compare.

TBH it doesn't feel like an open world to me.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 2x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• ArconaArcona VanlosePosts: 1,185Member

isnt that how D&D is supposed to be?

Tight dungeons etc

• HironHiron BristolPosts: 49Member
    Originally posted by Arcona

Tight dungeons etc

You can have an open world AND tight/wel designed dungeons. Problem is NW has neither. Just wait for foundry if you want good dungeon design. The normal Cryptic dungeons are generic as ****.

• tokinitokini third hut on the leftPosts: 341Member Common
    Originally posted by Arcona

Tight dungeons etc

LOL not at all.  DnD campaigns were full continents, you could travel from one end to the other in the great outdoors.  the campaign this game is set is perhaps the most popular, most deeply fleshed out of them all.

sure, a part of your adventuring may lead you into a tomb, or winding maze, or the like, but that is in no way what DnD was, at least if you had a good DM/GM, and semi intelligent players.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer RomePosts: 557Member Uncommon

It's not an open world by design choice. The game is about doing dungeons in instances. People who don't like instanced content can just move on already, because they are not the target audience.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

It's not an open world by design choice. The game is about doing dungeons in instances. People who don't like instanced content can just move on already, because they are not the target audience.

Problem is, the dungeon is linear/generic as ****. So what do they have? Only the foundry. NW can still be saved if awesome dungeons are created.

Dont know if you have played DDO. But their dungeon designs compared to the NW ones are a masterpiece. The dungeon in NW is zerg to the boss and kill everything on your way. EVERY single dungeon I have played till 25 has this linearity. Not even a tiny bit of a puzzle. Well if you really want there is a puzzle with 3 rotating statues...twice.

Although I was deeply dissapointed with the dungeon Ill still stick to the game for the great combat/lore. And the foundry is a mayor plus. For me the foundry will break or make the game.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG MelbournePosts: 1,133Member Uncommon

It is not open at all. It is very much quest/dungeon based

It is as closed as Lehman Brothers's businesses

• EzhaeEzhae LondonPosts: 737Member

If you played Dragon's Age2 then that;s about the same level of openness in NWO. That said first few zones are within city of Neverwinter so obviously the will feel smaller and more linear. Blackdagger, Helm's Keep and Ebon Dawn's had slightly more space to them, but still, expect to rather follow along a path gameplay rather than roaming. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon

Not going to happen in any game.  Sorry but theres not ever for the forseable future going to be a Triple-A MMO which is seemless and non-zoned.

To answer the OP's question, yes the game features large zones.  There fairly small in the early game but by late game the zones are fairly expansive.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon

Exactly.  This game is for those of us longing for a content focused on small scale/solo dungeons and instances.  Its really nice that a game came along and features solo dungeons.  I do not for the life of me understand why more game don't go this route.  Massive quantities of dungeons to explore and delve into is the nature of this game. 

If anyone has any qualms about the content this game can curn out I suggest you go watch the Rhazzad solo dungeon:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxeEthrnYsk  and the Green Dragon 5 man Dungeon (level 35 dungeon) at http://www.twitch.tv/casimyroverride/c/2010812 and tell me those aren't some epicness in action.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Exactly.  This game is for those of us longing for a content focused on small scale/solo dungeons and instances.  Its really nice that a game came along and features solo dungeons.  I do not for the life of me understand why more game don't go this route.  Massive quantities of dungeons to explore and delve into is the nature of this game. 

If anyone has any qualms about the content this game can curn out I suggest you go watch the Rhazzad solo dungeon:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxeEthrnYsk  and the Green Dragon 5 man Dungeon (level 35 dungeon) at http://www.twitch.tv/casimyroverride/c/2010812 and tell me those aren't some epicness in action.

green dragon is pretty awesome

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Boston, MAPosts: 67Member Common

Not going to happen in any game.  Sorry but theres not ever for the forseable future going to be a Triple-A MMO which is seemless and non-zoned.

Elder Scrolls Online....

Originally posted by adrikthorsen

Elder Scrolls Online....

umm LOL you serious? you are aware ESO is currently an extremely zoned game right?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VincentFoxyVincentFoxy Darlington, SCPosts: 11Member
    I see that that game world is going to basically be like DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online), basically just a decently sized city questing hub with a few open zones for questing. Though the foundry system seems like it's going the be the game's shining gem along with it's visceral and engaging combat system, and hopefully the character customization is as good as i hope it is because i know Cryptic is really good at adding that creative value to their games.
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Rochester, NYPosts: 231Member Uncommon
    So is it zoned ala Everquest with big zones to explore just  with instances that lead off of them?  Or is it zoned ala DDO where most all zones are of relatively small size with lots of little instances through most doorways etc?

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

Originally posted by Deadlyne
    So is it zoned ala Everquest with big zones to explore just  with instances that lead off of them?  Or is it zoned ala DDO where most all zones are of relatively small size with lots of little instances through most doorways etc?

closer to DDO.. the first city is very large and some of the later questing zones are pretty large as well with lots of instances thrown in the mix

Originally posted by Deadlyne

Its like DDO but with generic dungeons. Lacking traps, secret doors, PUZZLES and hidden treasures. More like 3d diablo. Its just go straight to the boss and kill everything on sight.

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Boston, MAPosts: 67Member Common
    Foundry dungeons will be huge, but yes I'd say NW looks like DDO in that it's primarily based around dungeons.