Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

1293031323335»

Comments

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

my ideas for an EQ next item system.

My idea expands on the item system in daoc where a quality number was used and the items degraded with use.

Items come in a quality range of 0-100 and also have a durability range. Higher quality items have an inherant higher durability. Quality also affects the power of the stats so a 100% item might have the total listed stats, where anything less would be equivilant to the overall percentage. 99% is 1% less at everything.  

in addition items come in different types as follows according to their quality.

Cracked Items: Items such as cracked swords are the most common type of drop. These items come in the range of 0-50 quality and can be improved by a crafter up to 75 Quality regardless of the starting condition. These items can have up to 2 gem slots, 2 stat modifier, 1 resistance and 1 "ability". Neither the gem slots nor any ability can be used until the item is restored by a crafter, which requires materials.

Flawed  items: This is a higher quality than cracked items. Flawed items start at 75-85 quality and can be improved up to 5 points (90 max). These items have up to 3 gem slots, up to 2 stat modifiers, 2 resistance and up to 1 ability.

Cursed items: Cursed items are items confer some negative stat or condition onto the player. EQ1 had these in a limited sence though they were scarce. I would take this to the next level. Cursed items would come at the 85-94 quality range, would have up to 4 gem slots, 3 stat modifier, 2 resistance and for every  ability, it would also have a negative condition modifier. The cursed item could be "decursed" by magical traqdeskill classes, at the cost of abilities. If you equip a cursed item you cannot un-equip it until its been decursed. (Remember the bone bladed claymore that reduced your dexterity from befallen). These items cannot be improved.

Pristine Items: These items come in the range of 95-98% and require no intervention on the part of a crafter to "fix" it. These items come with 4 gem slots , 4 stat modifier, 3 resistance and up to 2 ability powers.

legendary items: Legendary items come in a quality range of 99-99.999% and can have up to 5 gem , 5 stat modifier slots, 4 resistance and 2 ability powers. Legendary items decay at 1/3 the rate of pristine items.

God items: These items have 100% quality  5 gem slots, 5 modifier, 5 resistance and up to 3 ability powers. These items degrade at a rate of 1/10 that of a pristine item.

Crafted items: Crafted items come in the exact same configuration as the item types above with similar probababilities to obtain. In addition to mundane items and parts needed for recipes, the chance for an item is conditional on the parts used. For instance if a legendary item is salvaged, when you create a new item you have a higher chance to get a legendary or god item. There are no hard failures, but cracked, flawed and cursed are considered failed combines, where pristine, legendary and god are considered successes.

For any particular item type you could potentially get any one of these of the above item types when an item is dropped. The chance of each item is dependant on the quality of the item and the mob difficulty. Dungeon bosses and raid mobs have the same difficulty rating and thus the same drop chance. ( raids would also give guild rewards). The difference is that dungeons would only have a few bosses, where every raid mob would be considered a boss mob (same chance, higher frequency).

Gem Slots: All items in the game would be capable of putting in gem slots, which the player can choose to put in in the item. Gems can be interchanged by any player but are affected by the quality of the item. Gems could be found with magical properties but also can be crafted.

Stat modifiers: these are unique to the drop and cannot be changed by the player.

Ability: This is an actual ability such as a "positive proc" that fires off in combat, or a usable ability.

curse: This can be either a stat modifier, negative proc (proc a disease on yourself, or a constant condition). Cursed items have an equal amount of negative and positive abilities and when the item is decursed both the positive and negative abilities are removed. There is a remote chance that 1 ability will be kept.

within the probabilities for each category there are sub probabilities. For instance on a pristine item  you have a certain chance to get that, but there are also chances that you will get X gemslots , X stats slots, X resistance and X ability slots. Just because the item is pristine, only gives you a higher chance of getting the best possible pristine. The exception is god items which are always at the max.

so if there was a 5% chance of getting a pristine item, theres also a 50% chance youll get 3 slots and a 50% chance youll get 4 slots. This is applicable to all attributes in an item based on the max available.

For all items the power curve remails low. God items are only 1% more effective in raw power  than legendary items ( not including the extra stat slots)

thats what i would like to see. :)

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

i'd like to see a press release or screenshot, personally.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by pvpirl

i'd like to see a press release or screenshot, personally.

I would like to see a little bit of info about what there planning every month or two so we atleast get something :)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I too would like to see something more to chew on such as..  How big of world?  Will it be a microscopic as Rift, or as huge as Vangard..  I'm hoping for something atleast the same size as the original EQ..  And classes.. Will we be able to have hybrids once again or will we be limited to the holy trinity mindset :(   I sure hope they have level scaling too like GW2 does.. I really dislike "outgrowing" zones :(
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by pvpirl

Originally posted by Yizle
    Is mmorpg.com anti EQN? Over 80 pages on this thread and we still can not get a forum for it.

They claimed they wanted an offical logo, screen shots, etc before a content area would be provided, despite the countless turd MMOs, vaporware, or games as pre release as EQN, with their own areas. Oh well :P

Well EQNext could never be.  Sony is in dire straights, soon to be in bancruptcy court.  Pieces and parts will get sold off.   

Who knows what will happen to SOE and EQnext,  MMO's take a long time to make and are expensive, especially sand box ones.  I very much doubt SOE is very profitable right now.  Might not ever see a PS4, as they cannot afford to sell it for less than cost, when in bankruptcy that is a big no no.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

the ev erquest franchise IP is still worth a ton of money even if they get sold off it will get made.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Since it's SOE I'll believe it when I see it.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

keep the faith/hype bros.

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

And Brad rejoins EQ, lol

back in november it was deny deny but now its official.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/12/brad-mcquaid-returns-to-everquest/

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Thread has been necroed. Putting the new info in its own thread would be more appropriate.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.