Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: More KOTOR in SWTOR in 1.7.2

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Star Wars: The Old Republic patch 1.7.2 brings some cool new KOTOR inspired additions as well as some other major changes. We're breaking it all down for you in this week's SWTOR column.

BioWare is deploying Cartel Packs to Star Wars: The Old Republic in groupings of shipments. All the packs released from the launch of F2P in November until the last pack released a couple of weeks ago comprise ‘Shipment One’. With yesterday’s patch, the packs offered in ‘Shipment One’ as well as the level 43 one-off chest pieces offered in the Cartel Market were essentially retired and this also marked the beginning of ‘Shipment Two’.

Read more of Michael Bitton's More KOTOR in SWTOR in 1.7.2.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    So basically they added a bunch more stuff that wont actually fill the glaring holes in the game...sweet!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I swear i read someone saying there would be "more KOTOR IN SWTOR"...but then it was just a few items in the cash shop.

• MMOLIFE-AndrewMMOLIFE-Andrew Member UncommonPosts: 50

If they want to even try and be successful, they should take a look at Tera's F2P model without restrictions. If you want players to play the game, dont give restrictions. Just add a cash shop. You will get more players, even perhaps increase the sales on your cash shop. But the number in your game, will probably double, if not triple. I know I would probably go back to swtor if it wasn't for the restrictions, but with EA as greedy and as their ears are broken, they will never listen to the people that actually play the games.

All these items are "somewhat cool" most people don't care, because that set of people that don't purchase anything from the cash shop don't care about most of it. For the cash shop players, most will say, "I already got a cool outfit", "The 2% that are rich will say cool I gotta buy that!", but that is how all games and players will go. Now if you have a bigger player base, that 2% will actually be alot more people lol. Companies these days really don't get it at all. If they would just listen to the players that have been playing forever (12 years here) they might actually be successful and increase their revenue.

Anyways just my 2 cents, if they want me to return to the game they would actually listen to this post.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    by now this game should have had at least 4 new planets, as we can see this snails pace of released content I will come back to swtor in about 3 years to check it out. Of course many many valuable manhours will be wasted on the EA cash shop of course......not for me
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Tera has a great F2P model, but I think that it's Tera that might need to take some pointers from SWTOR. I mean let's face it, you strip away the combat system and you've got a really, REALLY empty game. 

Also, I would argue that success is being able to maintain one of the top 10 populations of an MMORPG while still having a cash shop that seems to want to make you open your wallet at every turn. 

Sometimes I think that people need to have someone pry their wallet open for them so they can provide a good game. Otherwise, nobody EVER would and the game simply dies a slow and painful death.

You can easily play SWTOR from 0-50 on $0. Toss $15 or $20 into the pot and you'll even get have an easier time getting there. Not sure why people continually complain about that. Have you ever bought a brand new console game for less than that? Probably not, and for $$$ vs playtime you'd be hard pressed to find a better value. Plus the story is actually present, oh and there are also distinct stories for each class (minus side quests) so that's also refreshing. I still fail to see the problem people have with cash shops, apart from those who take F2P in the literal sense. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Back to the article, I like the new armor designs. The armor design definitely have a Kotor feel to them. I also like the new mount. More variation in armor and mounts is always good. The Cathar sword is "bleh" thou.

As far as the Cartel shop rep goes, I have mixed feelings. Yeah, the armor is only orange shells but I still dislike that you can not get the armor shells through other ways by playing the game.   

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Cosmetic might not seem like such a bad word, but if all the cool looking stuff is cash shop only and the dropable items look like crap for the most part, then I think there is an issue.  Why even call this an update at all as 95% of it is cash shop and only 5% is an actual update to the game proper.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    *broken record mode* Not intrested until they add a decent freeform spaceship experience.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Cosmetic might not seem like such a bad word, but if all the cool looking stuff is cash shop only and the dropable items look like crap for the most part, then I think there is an issue.  Why even call this an update at all as 95% of it is cash shop and only 5% is an actual update to the game proper.

Agreed. The time it takes to make cosmetic items could have been used to make actual content. This is unfortunately what makes f2p games fail. 

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    200 million on this......just throw in the towel already!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

"the flat experience reduction rate will also trickle in instead of hitting you as soon as you reach level 10. Now, you’ll start seeing experience reductions beginning at level 12, and these reductions will increase gradually until reaching the old flat rate by the time you hit level 20"

hahahahaha

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Anyone else got the feeling SWTOR has become a 3D cash slot machine in some Star Wars styled Las Vegas hotel?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Anyone else got the feeling SWTOR has become a 3D cash slot machine in some Star Wars styled Las Vegas hotel?

Yes

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Nope, cuz their cartel packs are nonsense. More like a tax, if you know what I mean.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Rofl I almost spilled an entire can of mountain dew on my keyboard when I read that.   Yes, that is a good analagy

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Thanks for the positiive write up. [mod edit]

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    How boring. More cosmetic armor sets and gambling packs you have to keep buying in hopes you'll get that rare flying throne? No thanks. 
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    So this is KOTOR and not an MMO as claimed by some one year ago?
  • dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    So I spent 10 dollars on cartels, rolled twice on each pack and didnt get any mounts. what a waste.
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    So they want everyone to spend more money in th cash shop by not offering items for eternity. BUY NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!!!!  Another greedy scam by EA

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Their whole F2P model is atrocious.  The prhase, "nickel and diming", is taken to another level with this genre.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Fix the space portion of the game instead of all this fluff.
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Where is all the KOTOR goodness ;(.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

what do you guys expect its EA doing what they do best . Just dont play it if you hate it there are better free to play games out there if you are worried about not spending a dime of money. To a subscriber I can easily see why none of this really bothers them including Mike B. You get 500 cartel coins a month to spend on whatever you like and there really isnt much to spend on but some boosts and cartel packs. One is 380 the other is 180 so you can basically get two a month for free with your sub fee and not any money needed. I know back when I played I used my cartel coins they gave us and my sub 500 which was well over 1000 to buy some gambling packs and I left my toon with about 1000k credits from selling stuff and even ended up with a pay to win  +41 endurence level 10 pink light saber crystal. 

People pay for novalty and Im not really sure how any of this is pay to win or shady considering wow does the exact same thing in their cash shop with mounts and pets . Hell I remember wows stupid black lion flying mount selling over 2 million dollars worth in less than 24 hours when it first released , the golden king.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Result, I was just saying the other day, what this game lacks is a wide enough choice of cartel point items.