Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Neverwinter: Thoughts from Beta Weekend 2

2»

Comments

• Sovereign88Sovereign88 Member Posts: 1

"As it stands now, dying armor different colors is the only thing that can change the silhouette of your character, and that’s not quite enough when everyone looks the same."

Actually there is an option to change your gear's appearance. I discovered it while trying to enchant some item i found with a "enchantment" slot in it. It is very much like WoW's transmog feature.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Dakirn

I'm surprised you didn't mention the new nickle and diming apsect of the Identifcation Scrolls being taken off the vendors for in-game silver and is now purchased at 800 Astral Diamonds each.

So spend Astral Diamonds, hope for an ID scroll to drop, wait for some free ones from your X level lockbox, or don't identify items.

Making players buy Zen and convert it into Astral Diamonds to buy Identify Scrolls that are basic game functionality is a pretty jerk move.

Everything in the game costs Astral Diamonds, from customizing armor (making my 20 chain tunic look like another chain tunic cost over 14,000 Astral Diamonds) to mounts, to training companions, to doing just about everything is a nickle and diming experience I've never encountered before.

Also kinda sucky that you have to buy resurrection scrolls from lack of any rez spell in the game so far..

They should be making things we WANT to buy, not HAVE to buy.

Where do you people come up with this sort of rubbish?

You can easily get ID scrolls from monster drops, go out and kill some until you have your fill.  You can get them from lootable chests.  You can get them from dungeons.  I finished the weekend with 20 or 30 extra ID scrolls.

You can bring other players back up from a downed state before they release.  It takes like 5 or 10 seconds to bring someone back up.  You don't have to buy rez scrolls.

You want to pay $15 a month in sub, but then bitch about having to spend money.  Why are p2p proponents so cheap?  Spend $15 / month on Zen then.  If you can't afford that (you know it's only 50 cents a day) then maybe you shouldn't be playing online games.  Isn't that what you pro-sub people always say?

Yep. I also finished the weekend with a nice stack of ID scrolls, and I never saw anyone actually die in any of the dungeons, skirmishes, or quest areas. I didn't know there were rez scrolls.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Dakirn

Death is absolutely normal in NW due to how Clerics don't heal anywhere near enough to keep someone alive.

Death in NW also means a 5-15 minute run back to your group, depending on if you died in an instance or the trash between you in the open world.

While no resurrection is an annoyance in an MMO, it's more the astral diamond thing that annoys me.  EVERYTHING costs astral diamonds.  I would rather pay a sub and just play the game, but I can calculate paying more than $15 a month if you play a lot.

It turned me off to NW altogether, cancelling my pre-order.

Umm...I had no issues in the first beta weekend keeping my group alive with a hot and 1 direct heal...

Death in NW is also easier than death in EQ1, EQ2, AC1, AC2, DaoC....where corpse runs were far worse. Quick trips from a graveyard to where you were are recent MMO features, ones that created the wonder thing known as GY zergs, something people with no actual skill use to beat content the easy way.

and yet again, ADs can be gained by playing the game and costs you nothing but the time you are already investing into the game...so, cya or not...doesnt matter to me, if anything will make the game better because its one less person playing it that doesnt know the game mechanics.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Umm...I had no issues in the first beta weekend keeping my group alive with a hot and 1 direct heal...

Death in NW is also easier than death in EQ1, EQ2, AC1, AC2, DaoC....where corpse runs were far worse. Quick trips from a graveyard to where you were are recent MMO features, ones that created the wonder thing known as GY zergs, something people with no actual skill use to beat content the easy way.

and yet again, ADs can be gained by playing the game and costs you nothing but the time you are already investing into the game...so, cya or not...doesnt matter to me, if anything will make the game better because its one less person playing it that doesnt know the game mechanics.

Same experience here.  If you are taking too much damage, you're doing it wrong.  The only time I died in a dungeon was Idris because our group matched up 2 gaurdians, 2 CWs and my rogue....so I didn't have enough health pots.....

Also about the Id scrolls, I ended up with 33 in my bags when servers went down.  The item tells you what class, lvl, and any enchants (+1,+2,+3,etc) the item has before a scroll is used.  Don't discover every item that drops and you'll have some left over.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

I couldn't get into it because of the graphics :( I hope that changes at launch. Texture resolution, the character models....it all needs to be a lot better to hold my interest.

I hope the final version of the game has greatly updated graphics.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I have not yet played the game. I have read many of the comments and watched videos so far. I am failing to see much reference to the D&D elements in the game. I can see it looks like a nice combat game. It looks good graphic wise, but what about the D&D core elements? Where are they? Do they even exist in the game? I can tell already you won't be dual-classing (at least at launch). It appears there is no choice consequences (?). What about alignment? 

I can see the game would be fun for maybe a month or so, but is there real D&D elements that will define your character and adventure?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Gel214th

I couldn't get into it because of the graphics :( I hope that changes at launch. Texture resolution, the character models....it all needs to be a lot better to hold my interest.

I hope the final version of the game has greatly updated graphics.

I very very very highly doubt they would drop the NDA on a beta that didn't have the final graphics implemented. The ones you've seen are the ones it's launching with. If they arn't I'll eat my hat.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

I only managed to play till level 12 this weekend but i had a blast. I haven't had this much fun in an mmo since vanilla wow.

Hate the idea of this zen currency tho. This mmo is one of the recent ones to be released that I can gladly say I would buy AND pay a monthly sub for.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Originally posted by wildtalent
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Character customization was bad:  For Cryptic, usually one of the best in the field, it was pathetic.  As an example, every male tiefling has the same set of horns, and essentially the same tail.    While I can understand charging in-game currency for dyes and such, your character features should be far more adaptible at character creation.  

I was told in game that the leveling rate and drop rate had been massaged for the beta.  Any experianced beta players here have an opinion on this?

The Tiefling design has more to do with it being 4th ed D&D.   In, 4th tieflings are a true race and all bore the same basic horns, reddish skin  and tail.  It's not that same as in 3rd Ed, where there was a vast array of physical characteristics. 

NO excuse for every character looking the same.   It's just laziness.  Not like they didn't change other stuff from 4th Ed.  Their entire character set up was way below par.  The importance of this depends on your individual opinion, of course.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124

I seem to be the only one truly disappointed with the game. I've found the game to be Far to instance based,far to linear (the game is gonna be horrible for alts),not enough gear variety and the character creation by cryptics standards is poor. Hope some of this improves with time but as it stands I may play for a month or so at release but it will only be a stop gap game for me in its current form. Shame really as this was one of my big hopes for the yr.Roll on the other big hopes wildstar and elder scrolls I guess.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by Xepo

I have not yet played the game. I have read many of the comments and watched videos so far. I am failing to see much reference to the D&D elements in the game. I can see it looks like a nice combat game. It looks good graphic wise, but what about the D&D core elements? Where are they? Do they even exist in the game? I can tell already you won't be dual-classing (at least at launch). It appears there is no choice consequences (?). What about alignment? 

I can see the game would be fun for maybe a month or so, but is there real D&D elements that will define your character and adventure?

I belive this game is 4th ed D&D rules, not 1st ED D&D, 2nd ed D&D nor is it 3rd ed D&D or even 3rd ed AD&D rules.

I belive dual classing eg: fighter/thief/mage was only 3rd ed AD&D rules.

hope this helps.

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by redcap036

I belive this game is 4th ed D&D rules, not 1st ED D&D, 2nd ed D&D nor is it 3rd ed D&D or even 3rd ed AD&D rules.

I belive dual classing eg: fighter/thief/mage was only 3rd ed AD&D rules.

hope this helps.

Multi-classing and Hybrid classes are both part of the 4th edition ruleset, I wouldn't expect to see them in NW.  As for other D&D mechanics; alignment is absent, and largely unimportant in 4e; character backgrounds and deity choices are present, no impact that I saw, no idea if that applies to the Cleric.  Foundry dialogue options should give you a bit of scope to RP your character, assuming the author takes the time to write in different responses for you.  Lip service at best.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by DJMantiss

It's a fun game, a simple game, but fun. Will it last? I don't see that being a problem it will have a smaller player base and be a niche game for those wanting an almost arcade like experience with a D&D setting.

Which seems to be fine for games like Camelot Unchained where the developer himself says he is targetting a small audience that loved his vastly limited DaoC game design...only difference is that Neverwinter isnt being made with those limitations abandonded by the genre and so is targetting a larger audience and will have a content amount limited only by the players imagination thanks to the foundry.

This seems to be the catch all response to anyone who questions the value of this title.

You do realise that, 'content creation' tools for players already exists in games such as COH and STO? In both those titles most of the player created stuff is simple generic tilesets full of mobs in the hope of exploiting drop rates for cash shop items.

The way some of you talk you'd think it's some new idea with an assortment of frustrated GMs all waiting in the wings to entertain you with creations beyond imagining.  Not the probable reality of a few tileset, (more in the cs), a lot of mob placement, and limited scripting.

As for the beta and the game itself it's the same old Cryptic, 'turn it around in two years and put a price on everything model', that served them so well with CO and STO.  

The questing is the most boring i've seen in about six years, with little or no incentive to draw you into whats going on.  The classes have about as much depth as a tea funnel. The world itself has all the instance, explorable, wonderment of spending an afternoon in a closet. The graphics and character models look like they were designed by an interin who was playing LOTRO a lot, at the time.The combat is simply bizzare, why have a system with free aiming but requires you to stand still when attacking, (with no break in animations), and also has a dodge button on top? Is the engine so borked it can't keep up with responses on the player end? Sounds like CO all again. Grouping was a nightmare, but you get the point by now...

The only parts that were resonable were some of the combat animations and I thought the way abilites unlocked for certain keybindings and the timers on these was a novel idea.  The rest of it was godawful in my opinion.

If this was six years ago,(as I stated about the questing), I would feel sorry for anyone whose put money down on this already but honestly nowadays it's your own fault.  Plenty of people have told you about Cryptic and PW, we all know the score with this lot by now, and if you looked around, (there's a sticked topic on the NW forum), you could get a beta invite to this event no risk to yourself.  Yes, I know you'll say I'm wrong and that you are so smart you can't possibly make a bad purchasing decision, but I can guarantee many of you will be back here a month after launch complaining about what a waste of money this title is.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

This. Excactly where im at. The foundry is what im waiting to see but really, seeing comments about DnD and arcade gameplay in the same sentence is really scaring me. How about investigative work, political intrigue, social skills, trap making and disarming, etc. I have seen a litle bit, but very put on the back burner'ish stuff.

Seems like DDO is light years ahead of this game in terms of actual DnD stuff and character development. Still, it does look fun.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I on the other hand was incredibly disappointed in Neverwinter, and don't see it growing beyond a niche audience. For all intents and purposes, it's a stripped down DDO. The graphics are scattered in quality, the astral diamond necessities are out of control, non-instanced questing is KXY, the skill bar and system is extremely restrictive and there is ZERO class versatility.

Unlike a lot of people here who played for a couple of hours or just for a day, I played the whole weekend. I made it over level 30, into the Paragon Levels on my Cleric, to get a good feel for the game before making any kind of judgement. It's repetitive, and the immediate response of, "Oh hey, this is fun!" will begin to dim by 20 and by 30 it'll be gone entirely. Paragon levels don't much to change the gameplay, they decide your next 3 skills over the following 30 levels and that's pretty much it.

The class system is inferior to nearly every other Dungeons and Dragons game, the skill trees and class choices are inferior to Rift, the combat is inferior to GW2, the quests are inferior to TSW, the graphics ugh...take your pick. Even CO/STO are more attractive and they're by the same company, and older. I was one of those people that stood up for Cryptic where CO was concerned, but I think they missed the mark by miles with Neverwinter.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    My concerns are the same as the posters, along with the terrible art for faces/hair and dungeon loot rules needing a revisit. The game is nothing but linear and dungeons need a good balancing. Also, surprises in dungeons should be surprises, not big sparkly arrows pointing to the secret doors or instruction manuals on how to tilt a statue or flip a switch. Make people use their noodles.

No bitchers.

• SilvergryphSilvergryph Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I found that the Control Wizard was affected more by my gear choices than my Trickster Rogue was. Once I equipped gear focused on just power and recovery and took feats for cooldown reduction and action point gain I felt really powerful. You also have to pay attention to what power you put in the Tab slot once you unlock it. That is your Spell Mastery slot and the each spell gains something different by being there. For example, Repel becomes multi-target which was a lot of fun and helped build action points quickly.
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I played the beta for this first time during this second weekend beta event. I played the CW to level 23. For the first few hours of play I was not that impressed. I had the same gripes as most people - not able to cast and move at the same time a la GW2, no mouse camera zoom (without hitting the B key while standing still) and the lame fingers sticking up all the time on your toon. After I got over all that (which honestly, wasn't THAT big of a deal) I really started to enjoy the game. It had a definite "D&D feel" which of course was a good thing. The visuals were great. Yes, the questing was very linear, but it's a themepark MMO, what do you expect? It was still a lot of FUN and that is most important to me. Yes, when I got new gear it looked quite similar to the gear I just had on. But once I got my companion (a la SWTOR) the game got even more interesting, combat-wise. You can have up to 3 companions (more with purchase) and level them up and swap them out depending on what you need (heals, tank, etc). I am very interested in what the crafting will be like, but all-in-all, I loved this game and it will definitely be my primary MMO (at least until ESO comes out - so it better come out SOON!) And the best thing is, it's FTP!! I considered spending the $60 cuz it was that good, but I already got the PC Gamer mount for free, so I will probably just spend the money on microtransactions. Anyway, I highly recommed this game and I can't wait for release!!
  • neferithneferith Member Posts: 1
    I had lots of fun with the game I did a small group play with a buddy and now I'm going to be getting a founders pack cause I want to be in the next beta.....
    I was able to get to level 12 with the control wizard.....and rocked the world.....I would like to see more role playing as that is what I'm used to for traditional dnd play......but other then that the story line is great and the battle sequence kept me intrigued.....
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Control Wizard was very fun but weak.

Especially stuff you could do with spell specialization (placing a spell in tab and making it different from normal spell) was cool. Repel can be used to push monsters off the cliff killing several of them including bosses in one blow in some maps (not all bosses and loot is lost). For example the cave maps in foundry had a kill volume if you fall down.

But otherwise, control wizard needs balancing.

p.s. And anybody reading this, if you are in beta weekend 3 dont forget to check my foundry quest "The Wild Moon(mote) Chase" if you like non-linear quests.

• JZSquaredJZSquared Member CommonPosts: 1
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    playing the game solo was amusing for a few levels, then boring as hell.  I suppose next beta weekend I should try to group, but it didn't seem like anyone else was looking for or leading any groups asking for people to join.  Worries me.

So why don't you make your own group and invite people? And there's always the skirmishes and group content where they put you into a group. And you can get into that as early as level six. Or do what my friend and I did. Got three other people to join us so we'd have a full group.