Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

player housing in elder scrolls online

asj18asj18 Member UncommonPosts: 86

Something i absolutly love in any game is player housing and i loved it in the elder scrolls series alot. it is one of the biggest reasons I played Skyrim and oblivion. it makes the game feel more like home and I love hearthfire yes it was buggy but fun.

I have some idea how player housing can be implemented and i would love to hear some of your guys thoughts on player housing.

they could make zone in towns for player housing  example (residential area b) and it is a portal that take you to a semi instanced part of the game to a shard so to speak for player housing where you and so many other players have a houses.

Now i know this is not going to be availible right off the bat but it is a possibility down the line. How would you like to see it done? 

Games I will be playing are: TES V, SWTOR, ME 3, TSW

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Best player housing ever was in SWG, second for me is guild city building in Age of Conan, I hope ESO will have both player housing and guild cities at launch.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• asj18asj18 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Best player housing ever was in SWG, second for me is guild city building in Age of Conan, I hope ESO will have both player housing and guild cities at launch.

they stated they wont have player housing at launch but guild cities would be awesome.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by asj18

Something i absolutly love in any game is player housing and i loved it in the elder scrolls series alot. it is one of the biggest reasons I played Skyrim and oblivion. it makes the game feel more like home and I love hearthfire yes it was buggy but fun.

I have some idea how player housing can be implemented and i would love to hear some of your guys thoughts on player housing.

they could make zone in towns for player housing  example (residential area b) and it is a portal that take you to a semi instanced part of the game to a shard so to speak for player housing where you and so many other players have a houses.

Now i know this is not going to be availible right off the bat but it is a possibility down the line. How would you like to see it done? 

I jokingly want to start slagging you off for wanting to change their design or for trying to change something that isn't going to change or any of the other types of trolling but I won't.

Not having housing is a dissapointment for a couple of reasons. Firstly because the housing in every TES game I have played was central to my fun. In fact in Skyrim I downloaded a number of mods just to allow me to build houses, from one that just game me a big sort of magical airship to one that I had to collect all the raw materials to build. I simply love housing in TES games. Secondly because of the comment made by Matt Frior that houseing was 'too difficult'.

But onto my thoughts...

Ideally there would be a combination of several housing options as follows: -

1 - Basic housing in the form of a simple room. These can be available from inns in the form of instanced zomes for housing. So you go to an inn, buy a room and it is yours till you stop paying for it. Each floor (instance) would ahve a number of doors, each one a small room. This would provide the majority of early housing.

2 - Town housing. These types of house can range in size but essentially these are houses that are fixed and limited in number. You would simply buy a pre-determined house that is already in game but waiting for someone to buy it. These are as mentioned limited are part of the world.

3 - Freeform housing. Tree ways to do this. Either allow houses to be built anywhere that has space or allow houses to be built on pre-determined plots of land. Bot of these are permanent fixtures in the world. The 2nd option is more managed and probably the best way to have open housing. The 3rd way is to have instanced housing zones. Good for letting everyone have a house but screws with immersion and that 'world' feel (not that the game is really going for that world feel anyway but you get my point). 

4 - Guild housing. Can take the form of any of the above options. I would prefer permanent establishments and not instanced.

5 - PvP building. Due to the nature of how they are doing PvP with a centralised, permanent war zone I think the only way to do it is for permanent housing/building structures in PvP area's. Build em up/knock em down type things with purpose. So you should be able to build a tower to give archers an advantage, a patch of mud to slow down the enemy, barricades to prevent cavalry charges etc...

Personally I feel they will, when they get round to it, go for instanced housing because they seem to be making lots of 'generic MMO' type design descisions rather then trying to have features that might be more in line with TES games.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

With all the phasing technology that they keep boasting about, I dont see why open world player housing cant be implemented. We all love player and guild hosing, I cant figure out why devs always leave this out, or on the back burner.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by WellzyC

With all the phasing technology that they keep boasting about, I dont see why open world player housing cant be implemented. We all love player and guild hosing, I cant figure out why devs always leave this out, or on the back burner.

I think you are stuck in the trap of "I like it, so everyone else likes it too."  We do not "all love player and guild ho(u)sing."  I have been playing MMOs for about 10 years and I still have no idea why anyone would want to buy a house and show the same trophies everyone (but the raiders) has.  It makes my day when I hear that there is not going to be housing because it means the devs have put their energies into more substantial aspects of the game.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

I doubt you will see player housing in ESO any time soon

Zenimax is likely to spend the first 9mo-1y balancing the Classes and the Factions

That and Matt Firors belief that "Player housing is too hard to implement in an MMO the way players want"

Im sure for at least the first 2 years you will get Dev responses like "It is on the board, but right now there are other things that take priority"

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Depends on how the game goes ,if it starts to fail maybe they will soon discover housing again the way rift did. As for some people being happy for the lack of a game feature just because they are not using it ,I wonder how happy will they be if the game joins the list of recent failures which also ignored any world building and tried to be a cheap themepark copy with less features than wow.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by eldaris

Depends on how the game goes ,if it starts to fail maybe they will soon discover housing again the way rift did. As for some people being happy for the lack of a game feature just because they are not using it ,I wonder how happy will they be if the game joins the list of recent failures which also ignored any world building and tried to be a cheap themepark copy with less features than wow.

The world is just fine as a backdrop in an MMO (in most people's eyes).

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by WellzyC

I've met plenty of players who don't like housing so I wouldn't make that claim of  "everyone " likes it. But I do think it should be a more standard feature than it is.  It doesn't have to be like SWG where you have a bunch of urban blight uglying the landscape. With the phasing that is already available it shouldn't be that difficult to put a housing type set up  in certain areas and keep it contained there. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Having a virtual world but no virtual home is why these new games without housing are just lifeless games. No wonder people don't stick around. People seem to want to play MMO's like money sinks mindlessly bashing keys for monkey treats. Bring back the days when people played MMO's for what they are ment to be. I want MMO's to be virtual worlds, keep the console generation and their 5 minute attention spans away I say.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by asj18

I jokingly want to start slagging you off for wanting to change their design or for trying to change something that isn't going to change or any of the other types of trolling but I won't.

Not having housing is a dissapointment for a couple of reasons. Firstly because the housing in every TES game I have played was central to my fun. In fact in Skyrim I downloaded a number of mods just to allow me to build houses, from one that just game me a big sort of magical airship to one that I had to collect all the raw materials to build. I simply love housing in TES games. Secondly because of the comment made by Matt Frior that houseing was 'too difficult'.

But onto my thoughts...

Ideally there would be a combination of several housing options as follows: -

1 - Basic housing in the form of a simple room. These can be available from inns in the form of instanced zomes for housing. So you go to an inn, buy a room and it is yours till you stop paying for it. Each floor (instance) would ahve a number of doors, each one a small room. This would provide the majority of early housing.

2 - Town housing. These types of house can range in size but essentially these are houses that are fixed and limited in number. You would simply buy a pre-determined house that is already in game but waiting for someone to buy it. These are as mentioned limited are part of the world.

3 - Freeform housing. Tree ways to do this. Either allow houses to be built anywhere that has space or allow houses to be built on pre-determined plots of land. Bot of these are permanent fixtures in the world. The 2nd option is more managed and probably the best way to have open housing. The 3rd way is to have instanced housing zones. Good for letting everyone have a house but screws with immersion and that 'world' feel (not that the game is really going for that world feel anyway but you get my point). 

4 - Guild housing. Can take the form of any of the above options. I would prefer permanent establishments and not instanced.

5 - PvP building. Due to the nature of how they are doing PvP with a centralised, permanent war zone I think the only way to do it is for permanent housing/building structures in PvP area's. Build em up/knock em down type things with purpose. So you should be able to build a tower to give archers an advantage, a patch of mud to slow down the enemy, barricades to prevent cavalry charges etc...

Personally I feel they will, when they get round to it, go for instanced housing because they seem to be making lots of 'generic MMO' type design descisions rather then trying to have features that might be more in line with TES games.

Good thing Housing is coming after launch and according to the Devs they didn't want to include it at launch because it wasn't as important but they still want to include it shortly after.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Good thing Housing is coming after launch and according to the Devs they didn't want to include it at launch because it wasn't as important but they still want to include it shortly after.

I'd love if that were true, but I've heard that from so many games now that it's just become boiler plate. "We want to do housing, but it will be post luanch" often turns into, "We just can't seem to agree on how it should be implemented" until eventually, "It's scrapped until further notice". Which never comes.

That said, DAoC actually did introduce a great, customizable housing system that I truly hope will inspire a similar system in ESO. Best player housing I've ever seen done in an MMO. So finger's are crossed, but I'm not expecting much.

• asj18asj18 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I'd love if that were true, but I've heard that from so many games now that it's just become boiler plate. "We want to do housing, but it will be post luanch" often turns into, "We just can't seem to agree on how it should be implemented" until eventually, "It's scrapped until further notice". Which never comes.

That said, DAoC actually did introduce a great, customizable housing system that I truly hope will inspire a similar system in ESO. Best player housing I've ever seen done in an MMO. So finger's are crossed, but I'm not expecting much.

that would be awesome

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I think a good way of doing it on server shards with thousands of players is as follows;

Instance a district of a city like in GW2.

Have the domestic buildings in that instance (one per shard or whatever they are calling it on the megaserver) with instanced front doors and have floor layout instances correct for each shape of building.

Allow internal customisation of contents including decor, furniture style, a non-garish colour palette, display of trophies etc. but not a complete building system.

Allow houses to be sold for different prices and allow people to move-up – have an auction house for housing for instance, and give in-game advantages for having a house in the first place (extra storage, ‘no place like home’ rested buff when you log in if you logged out using your bed, etc.).

If you also have a civic pride system – where PCs can pay for civic improvements and get their name, bas-relief face, marble bust or bronze statue put up in honour of them, that would be great too.

You could have the same system for guild halls, but have the hall itself customisable and have district instance for them too.

If they do a complete building system, it will have to be extremely customisable to avoid creating creating clone districts – and you can’t have the in the countryside otherwise you will get ridiculous uncontrolled sprawl. It would be too much work for the benefit.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I want player housing and its something my wife loves. Hope they follow suit of some of the newer MMOs that are making housing a deeper part of the game then where to keep nick knacks. Dragon Prophecy and Wildstar are to good games two look at for player housing.
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

personaly i always liked Asherons Call housing, ranged from simple rooms in a kind of instanced area through small houses up to huge guild halls. the houses of each lvl each had their own areas and were purchased using special items you had to find.

Vanguard housing was good as well, you purchased the plot of land, then harvested the materials or brought them to build the house size and type you wanted.

both types of game the houses were used for storage of all that junk that we think will be usefull one day but never actualy use and i think they help the social aspect of a game as well, with guild halls etc.

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

Originally posted by Ardnut

personaly i always liked Asherons Call housing, ranged from simple rooms in a kind of instanced area through small houses up to huge guild halls. the houses of each lvl each had their own areas and were purchased using special items you had to find.

Vanguard housing was good as well, you purchased the plot of land, then harvested the materials or brought them to build the house size and type you wanted.

both types of game the houses were used for storage of all that junk that we think will be usefull one day but never actualy use and i think they help the social aspect of a game as well, with guild halls etc.

I would like to see it done like Wildstar, where a zone just for players to tame is added. Cut down some trees, kill the NPCs in the way and make the land yours then you can build =-) I also like it when games let you grow and harvest mats from your home land. 

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    I would rather they not include it at all. I feel it detracts far too much from the game.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    I would rather they not include it at all. I feel it detracts far too much from the game.

How so?

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

How so?

Its expensive content wise, both in its payout and opportunity. For it to be "relevent" it has to be tied into systems in such a way as to make it something I must use (ala Eq2 for example, which I hated). Besides, as has been gone into with virtually every housing thread ad infinitum, its something that a minorty of players enjoy. It is to pvers what world pvp is to pvpers. Something that is highly cried/asked for, but then rarely utilized.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

How so?

Its expensive content wise, both in its payout and opportunity. For it to be "relevent" it has to be tied into systems in such a way as to make it something I must use (ala Eq2 for example, which I hated). Besides, as has been gone into with virtually every housing thread ad infinitum, its something that a minorty of players enjoy. It is to pvers what world pvp is to pvpers. Something that is highly cried/asked for, but then rarely utilized.

So if its a feature many PvEers ask for, how is it not worth doing?

How so?

So if its a feature many PvEers ask for, how is it not worth doing?

Because it only pays for itself in the very long term if it does at all. Paying an artist to make 2 weapons will have much more effect on a game then paying that same artist to make 10 lamps.

Originally posted by Xobdnas

How can they not have player housing? They keep saying how much they are using the RPGs as inspiration and how similar this game plays to the RPGs yet they seem to be removing the core elements that make the RPGs so great.

What elements?

How can they not have player housing? They keep saying how much they are using the RPGs as inspiration and how similar this game plays to the RPGs yet they seem to be removing the core elements that make the RPGs so great.

How do you figure? The most popular rpgs of all time had a "base" you operated out of at best, but most of that was nothing more than a contrivence to carry you around the map. None of which offered any kind of real customization that many people feel is a requirement for housing.

How do you figure? The most popular rpgs of all time had a "base" you operated out of at best, but most of that was nothing more than a contrivence to carry you around the map. None of which offered any kind of real customization that many people feel is a requirement for housing.

Tools are becoming so easy to use to create spaces you can customize that devs are handing them over to players. Neverwinter, Rifts, Dragon Prophet to name a few, how is this a problem any more? Even landscape is not outisde players ability to manipulate. Importing a dumbed down set of dev tools is not hard to do and takes very little time away from devs making other content as whats needed is already in their hands.