Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best quality for desktop setting?here is 3 tip!

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

bcdedit /set useplatformclock yes

bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

and to verify

bcdedit /enum

this should give you the best quality.

i5 2500k is my cpu and w8 is my os.

the idea being you use intel counter instead of os counter and for some reason (personally i think its a bug somewhere,because technicly it should look the same)

but for me i got a huge improvement in look!

to revert jjust use same command but saying no at the end

(all done in command line as administrator (admin is avail by right clicking the coomand line black icon)

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Care to explain what those commands do?  Better yet, why would they improve performance of anything?
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

like i say ,i think its a bug at windows end.because it doesnt make sense for it to improve quality of graphic or video.but it does!

i checked into the why and so far only thing i could think of is for some reason it create interference (noise)might be a threading problem at ms end etc .they only fixed lifechat not that long ago .so it probably is something similar (interaction problem etc)for now i ll keep using this tweak hopefully in the futur i wont need to!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx

(food for the mind before bed time!)

Your posts still don't make any sense.  Try reading a professional article then try writing like they wrote it.  Your post about a technical issue like this should go into the details of the answers to several questions, like the following:  Who or what programs does this affect?  When is the issue affecting users?  What does your workaround actually do to improve things?  Why does your workaround do anything to improve the issue?

The Microsoft article only describes the bcdedit command.  It does not say anything about the specific commands you are telling people to do.  If you aren't going to write a decent explanation, at least find another web page which answers the questions above.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

If nothing else, the avatar fits.

I'd look into the commands and see what they are actually associated to. Then go from there in trying to figure out what he means.

From my own tinkering I've become rather chagrin to tell anyone to modify things in their PC operation, can't trust a tewak now to not be a cataclysm later unless properly accounted for not just by you, but by anyone who you install software and rivers from.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

While I'm not sure what this does, I'll take a stab at explaining what it might do.

A computer has multiple timers in it with varying degrees of precision.  The clock generator for a CPU has to be very precise, for example, as it has to fire about every 0.3 ns and keep the clock cycles properly spaced or else the system will crash.  It's okay if that clock generator systematically runs 0.1% too fast or too slow, however, as you're not going to use it to tell you the time of day.

Meanwhile, for a system clock that you do use to measure the time of day, being systematically off by 0.1% means you're off by more than a minute per day, which is basically useless.  If you want to know the time of day and the answer returned by the computer is off by a few milliseconds in a random direction, on the other hand, you don't care.  Being off by a few milliseconds is wildly unacceptable for some purposes, however.  Some system timers are faster for a software program to check than others, while some cannot be checked in software at all.

One of the new features of Windows 8 is that if a computer is essentially idle, it will warp one particular system timer that a lot of programs rely on to systematically make many ticks come artificially early or late.  The reason for this is to reduce power consumption, as you can shut down various portions of various chips when they're not in use, but have to fire them up when they're needed.  Under Windows 7, you may have to turn on a CPU core to do some trivial little thing, then turn it back off, then turn it back on a few milliseconds later to do some other trivial little thing, then turn it back off, and so forth.

Windows 8 will say, since we're only doing a handful of trivial little things and no one is using the laptop anyway, let's shift the times at which the CPU is expected to do various things so that it has to do them all at once.  Turn on a CPU core, have it do a bunch of things, and then turn it back off for an extended period of time (which is probably still a small fraction of a second).  That means that the CPU core has to be on and using power much less of the time.  For a computer that wasn't in use anyway, or had sufficiently light use that something happening some tens of milliseconds too early or late doesn't matter, saving power is a good thing.

This creates obvious potential for problems if you're actually doing anything performance sensitive--such as typing, moving the mouse, or playing audio, not just demanding stuff like games--so Windows 8 will only do this when the computer is idle.  What I think drbaltazar's suggestion will do is to disable the timer rescheduling so that the ticks all happen at the normal time, without Windows 8 rescheduling them.  Instead, it will base things on some other timer that Windows 8 doesn't distort.

Originally posted by Quizzical

What I think drbaltazar's suggestion will do is to disable the timer rescheduling so that the ticks all happen at the normal time, without Windows 8 rescheduling them.  Instead, it will base things on some other timer that Windows 8 doesn't distort.

This makes a lot more sense.  I only use WIndows 8 on my work computer, and I haven't noticed any timing issues with programs, yet.  I also don't do much programming, but this is good to know in case I do.

The only thing this do is disable is timer and use Intel timer instead.like I mentionned I believe it's a bug at is end .both ways should look the same? They don't!

channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Darryl/Server-Message-Block-SMB21-Drill-down

here is another good tip for those with big internet in window 7 and say with gigabyte internet

basicly it unlock mtu from 64kb to 1 mb!