Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boring, Linear, and Simplistic (Don't Bother)

Comments

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

It's one of those games where people the first couple weeks will be all gungho and excited but the game has no lasting appeal.  It's just like champions online...nicely polished game that looked good and was fun action...for a while.  Then the themepark game on rails takes over and the fun combat is now a grind because there is no variety or strategy...simply spam your abilities as fast as you can.

It's such a shame that a complex world like D&D get's dumbed down so much when it get's made into a game.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I got me and the wife a code for it, and we did not like it.  I did not like the control setup much (I did remap, but still wasnt crazy about some of the ways it still had limits, but thats all personal preference), I am not big on their take on action controls, when my guy seemed to be very sluggish and rooted when doing anything.

Kind of disappointing, been wanting a Forgotten Realms mmo to come out for a long time, may try it some more, but my first impression is that it is blah or so-so....

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

You are really judging the dungeons from what you've played up to level 6...?

Jesus, some people. Up to level 10 the game is pretty much a tutorial. The dungeons in NWO at higher level are simply awesome. The atmosphere, the settings, the feel of true dungeoneering with forking paths and secret rewards. And the most important is that players will be able to make dungeons as twisted and non-linear as they want, with numerous paths to take in which your decissions will matter and change drastically the outcome of the adventure.

I mean, I understand when some people don't have patience with a game, considering how many games are there nowadays to waste time on. But if you didn't even get past the dumb-proof tutorial that is meant for seven year old kids to also be able to play the game, how can anyone take your feeedback seriously?

Lol.

A tutorial should do TWO things. Learn you the game AND show you how awsome it is.

If it fails at the last part thats just bad design.

Besides the tutorial part semed finished after lvl 6 TBH...

And speaking of bad design. Rolling dice (aka random stats) in a computergame? Come on...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Yep... almost no customization and toooo much linear, all you do is go forward. Arent mmorpgs supposed to be opposite?

this game has been known as basically a 3d diablo type dungeon crawler game with some larger open areas areas.. if anyone expected anything differn't then you obviously will be dissapointed

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Well, this isnt actually the most shallow rendition of d&d, I do remember lurking in an arcade in London back in the early 90's and watching some guy hogging a machine playing a d&d version of golden axe.

Really odd when I look back now.

I'm really thinking the golden age of d&d crpg's is dead and buried. Nwn was the last decent d&d based game i played, no point in even going back there now that the gamespy servers are no more :(

I may give neverwinter a go if they ever flesh it out....guess my only upcoming alternative may be pathfinder...not holding out any hopes though.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by trash656

I cannot fathom why people here seem to like this game so much.

-Trash

I find the game fun and it's free.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by hfztt

I think the thing that really broke the game for me was the shiny fly by wire line on the ground you follow when ever you get a quest.

I shit you not. There is an actual line of shiny glimmer that you follow through all your quests showing you the shortest way to the next step of teh quest. This kinda got to be laugh out funny when I got into a room where the teh path up to a platform was not imidiately clear. Good for me I had a shining line showing me exactly which way I should wald through this mini puzzle.

And dont get me started on the "twitch" battle in this. It just dont work. The ammount of times that I have been hit by monsters doing close combat damage after having run away from them several seconds ago is just silly.

They have dumbed the gamepley in this so much down that I cant take it seriously.

But then again DDO was a mess to on release. GIve it a few years and they might actually put some D&D feel into this one as well.

You know you can toggle that on or off, right?  If you don't want to use it or see it, turn it off.  Simple.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by huskie77

OP, people have different opinions and preferences. The fact that you don't care for it doesn't entitle you to attack or belittle those who do enjoy it, as you did in your first and second posts in this topic.

I read your Bio and I woud think that someone who claims to be so caring and one who works with the mentally ill to be more open-minded and supportive of iindividual differences.

How exactly am I attacking or belittling people by posting a thread about how I feel about the game? I never once swore at anyone, or called anyone names here. I was polite and respectful of everyone here. I'm 32 years old and a bit beyond insulting others on the internet over peoples trivial opinions about video games. As a matter of fact I like to hear other peoples opinions, that's why I posted it here. The only thing I stated in my first and second posts is that I had no idea why people enjoyed this game so much and the second post asking the guy if he had ever played a MMO before becuase good gameplay and graphics are the generic thing of these games. And thats an attack on people here? That doesn't even make any sense at all.

I'm sorry you took it that way, I never meant it to sound offensive, or an attack on anyone. II was just telling people my experiance with the game. Even re-reading my posts again I don't see anything offensive about it. Please don't take offence to this, but You seem like someone who just get's overly emotional over things and takes things out of context. I have known many people like this and actually have quite a few friends like this. Maybe you should think about going to see a Counselor or a Psychologist about your emotions.

Cheers,

-Trash

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Sorry but very very obvious here that the OP has not played very far at all into the game. Yes as there really is not a tutorial the game may seem rather linear at first just to help you learn the mechanics and parts of the core game play up to and including level 20, from there on the game opens up quiet a bit, especially if you are intelligence enough to get off the sparkly line and go explore the world around you and all it has to offer.

IMO the game has quite a bit to offer even if it does have some serious issues they really need to be taken back to the drawing board. 

I would say this is a game that will appeal to most gamers in some way or other if given a fair and open minded chance.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

This was a huge disappointment for me.

Restricted classes, a bastardization of the 4e ruleset, and the gameplay itself feels loose and unpolished.  There is little attention to detail in the world.  No swimming animations, no water ripples, no wind that I noticed... nothing.  It feels like a dated game and it's not even out of beta.

One day someone will create a MMORPG that does D&D justice.  Today is not that day.

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119

For a D&D game this is one of the most Boring, Linear, and unindepth/simplistic out of all the D&D games I have ever played in my life. Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights had more depth, class customization, and uniqueness, and these were single player games that came out over 10 years ago.

Even Dungeons and Dragons Online has more depth than this sorry excuse for a D&D game. Everyone chooses the same class skills, aquires the same traits, and can specialize in small things like a little bit of armor resistance or damage, but not enough to really make a huge inpact on anything. About the only good thing about this game is the Graphics, and Gameplay. This game is one of the most boring games I've ever played. I had more enjoyment in the latest Skyrim DLC and that wasn't even that great.

PS: I don't care if this is beta, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what kind of game this is.

Cheers,

-Trash

I couldnt have said it any better. The game is extremely boring, cannot understand why it was hyped up to the main page several days ago, now taken down as it is deserved.

Graphics are OK to be honest. Quests are quite boring and what shocked me was, that you were unable to zoom in and out? This is quite unbelievable to me. I honestly thought that the camera view was way too zoomed out and needed some adjustments, but unfortunately you cant.

I found it great that you could choose your starting zone and a couple of other things, though the gameplay itself was not attractive at all.

The so called action combat that they have, isnt exactly action combat. It reminded me more of a mix of DCUO and Vindictus. As long as your cross hair notices a target, it automatically locks on to it and you dont exactly need to be viewing the opponent to attack them. All this time while I was attacking, my camera was looking the other way which of course the cross hair did too, my character kept demolishing the enemies. That really put me off and I just couldnt play a game like that.

If Im going to be playing any game that involves a cross-hair, I must be aiming at them precisely so that I hit them.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Thanks for your warning? op..but i am having loads of fun and i will be playing this for  al ong time. It is a kick ass game for  free to download and play. Tera on the other hand with its teddy bear popori and sexualised child like races running around completely ruined it for me.

NWN luckily doesn't go that cheap route to attract players.

Sadly many of us dont care how much the game cost or how big subscription fee it has. I am willing to pay whatever for good mmorpg, but I wont play mmorpg just because its kinda good for free to download and play game :)

I rather pay 100 euro per month for great mmorpg than pay 0 for good mmorpg.

It cause of people like you why companies like EA still exist. 

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I spent all my play time this weekend only doing foundry quests.  The cryptic storyline is quite linear, still fun, but linear.  But some of the foundry content is really fun, gives a good change of pace, and it helps me learn just what I can do with the foundry myself when it becomes usable.

That's why so many people are fans of this game, the ability to create user generated content.  Not because of the linear cryptic questline.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

There is sooo mutch wrong whit NWO , from handmade animations that are far worse then SOE's swg: alfa animations , copy/pasted stuff from CO/STO , fake action combat (there is no -miss- heres only Hit or action dont work) , fake dice rolls during char generation (its a list you scroll true rather then truely rolling ) quest/missions are extremely easy even at high lvl. kinda like CO but even easyer.  no zooming to char or away from it if you need to use the UI or want to chance chat channel you are unable to controll youre char or even see youre surounding. 

Since its "f2p" I urge everyone to try it out as soon they can, its unbelievable how bad of a job they done this time.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Because the new aged gamers are  Boring, Linear, and Simplistic  ? Want now, free, no work, dont want to travel, i didnt get a medal for killing 5 rats, i hit max level in 5 hrs i are king, this game is boring i quit.......................

i jest i jest................. but yeah most new mmorpgs are like this now. Developers and gamers alike seem to have lost their creative and exploration side and just want everything so easily available now. Its not what a mmorpg is about. Though a few decent looking ones are on the horizon thankfuly.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

For a D&D game this is one of the most Boring, Linear, and unindepth/simplistic out of all the D&D games I have ever played in my life. Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights had more depth, class customization, and uniqueness, and these were single player games that came out over 10 years ago.

Even Dungeons and Dragons Online has more depth than this sorry excuse for a D&D game. Everyone chooses the same class skills, aquires the same traits, and can specialize in small things like a little bit of armor resistance or damage, but not enough to really make a huge inpact on anything. About the only good thing about this game is the Graphics, and Gameplay. This game is one of the most boring games I've ever played. I had more enjoyment in the latest Skyrim DLC and that wasn't even that great.

PS: I don't care if this is beta, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what kind of game this is.

Cheers,

-Trash

What would you recommend people to play that is better?

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

The official questline is basically story-telling. Hence it is linear. All good storytelling games are linear in nature (Mafia - the city of Lost Heaven comes to mind).

Developers chose to make linear quests. It is very much possible to make non-linear quests in foundry. The engine does not disallow the nonlinearity in questing.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Onomas

Because the new aged gamers are  Boring, Linear, and Simplistic  ? Want now, free, no work, dont want to travel, i didnt get a medal for killing 5 rats, i hit max level in 5 hrs i are king, this game is boring i quit.......................

i jest i jest................. but yeah most new mmorpgs are like this now. Developers and gamers alike seem to have lost their creative and exploration side and just want everything so easily available now. Its not what a mmorpg is about. Though a few decent looking ones are on the horizon thankfuly.

This is fault of the playerbase and sorry for saying that, stu**d NA/EU mentality.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    What would you recommend people to play that is better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcmKPmj9yeE

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Its better than 3 other games in beta / alpha at the moment. If you are holding out for those, don't bother.
  • HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by gillrmn

The official questline is basically story-telling. Hence it is linear. All good storytelling games are linear in nature (Mafia - the city of Lost Heaven comes to mind).

Developers chose to make linear quests. It is very much possible to make non-linear quests in foundry. The engine does not disallow the nonlinearity in questing.

Which is why the mainquest/story is one of the things I like about the game. The lore, the setting/environment and challenging battle. But the lack of side quests, limited character costumization, and generic/simple dungeons is a huge letdown for me. Maybe the foundry can save the game.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Hiron
    Originally posted by gillrmn

Which is why the mainquest/story is one of the things I like about the game. The lore, the setting/environment and challenging battle. But the lack of side quests, limited character costumization, and generic/simple dungeons is a huge letdown for me. Maybe the foundry can save the game.

Yes, foundry has a capability for non-linear quests. My quest is quite non-linear.

It was not there this beta weekend because I got busy with RL job, but it was there in beta weekend 1 and will be there in beta weekend 3(promise).

It is completely non-linear. Next time, open foundry and search for Cmapaign named "Maiden in the Moon" or the quest named "The Wild Moon(mote) Chase" or the author named @gillrmn. You should be able to find it. It is completely non-linear in nature, however it starts as linear quest to make you feel comfortable at first.

There are some side-quests in map 1 which you can miss. Map 3 (Lake teardrop) is open map with 7 side-quests out of which you will have to do at least 1. Then map 4 has a courtroom trial with battle of wits and many "optional" elements (either do this or do that choices).

I will add more nonlinear elements in the campaigns later down the line including optional endings, but for now these much should do. Already few people who tried it are saying in ratings review, "Too many puzzles" "too many options, didn't know what to do first" - something which I aimed for!

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Great! Puzzles! Will try at next beta3, looking forwards to it.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Yeah I found that this game was more like playing an Arcade Fighting game out of the 80's then a D&D game, let alone a RPG. There is nothing really RPG'ish about this game other then you lvl up.

Welcome to 2013.

Issue is on your end.

new trend is sell action,shooter games as rpg's ,  coz most action/shooter players think,rpg = trade in game(i talking about some my rl friends)

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Yeah I found that this game was more like playing an Arcade Fighting game out of the 80's then a D&D game, let alone a RPG. There is nothing really RPG'ish about this game other then you lvl up.

Welcome to 2013.

Issue is on your end.

new trend is sell action,shooter games as rpg's ,  coz most action/shooter players think,rpg = trade in game(i talking about some my rl friends)

I agree 100% and some of the younger folks are touting this like some grand new step in the right direction lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.