Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All this hype for a game that will come out 2016.

2»

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by makii

Business decisions follow theyr own rulesets- not what the minority wants. hence you guys and your wishful thinking- but what the majority would consider to spend money on.

I wish you could stop with this nonsense-theorycrafting- its pointless

And theorycrafting about a game wich who knows what will happen in 3 years- is even more pointless.

Did you just find this site? Because that's all it is about: hyping and discussing games that won't be out for a long time.

The theorycrafting is fun to many of us who are looking forward to CU because we don't have a modern MMO that provides us the kind of RvR we want. Is having fun pointless? Well okay then. I'm not sure why you are reading websites about computer games if you are opposed to pointless fun.

Besides Mark Jacobs has mentioned several times that he likes the discussions that are going on about the game here and on other forums and they are helping him craft the design of CU (assuming it funds).

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Business decisions follow theyr own rulesets- not what the minority wants. hence you guys and your wishful thinking- but what the majority would consider to spend money on.

And theorycrafting about a game wich who knows what will happen in 3 years- is even more pointless.

I did not realize the extent that MMO gamers will go for mental masturbation until seeing this explosion of posts here and on another forum for another game. It's a really fascinating thing to watch, though.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    @OP

Why does it matter to you? I am not sure why us getting hyoed over a distant game would affect you at all. It seems like you are just trolling, unless you live and breathe by the content of the recent forum activity section of this site, in which case, I am sorry. We will all stop believing in MJ's vision in order to facilitate your own personal enjoyment of the site as a whole.

Why are you on a niche part of an enthusiast mmorpg site, anyway?

Anyway, feel free to not care about the game or our "theorycrafting". We will be fine.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Based on the titles of various threads for this game. I think many here are under the impression that maybe if they talk about a subject, they will somehow put their personal stamp on the developed game.

"See Bob, I asked in a thread about Stealth and posted a few ideas about ho to implement stealth...and then when the game released, some of my ideas were in the game!! Isn't that awesome! Mark Jacobs listened to me and used my ideas!!"

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by steelwind

Another game on the horizon seems to have a lot more in common with DaOC's feature set than CU imho. Maybe that is why as a ex-DaOC veteran I have my sights there instead.

Hmmmm I wonder what game that is?!

I'm skeptical of that one, for all the familiar reasons, but yeah, fingers crossed :)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by DJMantiss

I'm still very skeptical as well. PvE was a VERY large part of DAoC and how anyone can forget that is beyond me. There was a lot of down time when the other realm would just "leave." That is when we did dungeons, BGs, crafting, whatever. To think that any game can survive on this purely RvR model is naive. It hasn't worked with any other game to-date, so why would it work for Camelot Unchained? 

The plan thus far comes off half-baked to me and even the blog-site is inconsistent in terms of communication and how his idas will translate into the game. I invest in things that show consistent and well thought out plans, with the ability to tweak and change as circumstances require. What I won't invest in is a kick-starter that seems soley reliant on RvR and a lot of "wants" with nothing showing the need or how plausible these ideas are.

As much as I hate PvE content, I still believe it is a vital part of an MMO.  It completes a community and world.

PvE content also provides the mindless drones who are drawn to zerging like a moth to flame.  Tearing through large numbers of player characters is so damn satisfying and is a nice respite from serious competition.

I think the source of this prematre excitement is the marketing efforts prior to the kickstarter campaign.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Some of us are not wanting to affect the game, but genuinely like discussing things related to it's development because we are excited and at this point, we have only discussion to go on.

I am not sure why this is an issue for anyone. Actually, bitching about our enthusiasm is far more ridiculous than our enthusiasm. It is telling as to your motivations and the way you choose to spend your time on a gaming forum.
  • Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Yet again.. a bunch of idiots that don't actually contribue to the community in any positive way beyond trolling and starting flame wars.  I wish mmorpg would immediately lock these threads or police the douchebags that constantly troll these forums.

Mark has already gone on record he wants to aim for, if my memory serves me correctly, Sept. 2015.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

The 24/7 closed beta for backers will start in 2014.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    By 1216 the game engine is going to be outdated for start, not to mention, a lot more games are going to be released as well with better gameplay and graphics, and all of you hype fans are going to rage, just like you did with warz.
  • steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Personally, I come to this site for general MMO news and have for many years. Lately it seems as though CU is the only acceptable discussion. While we cannot control what others create as topics, it is frustrating to me to have to weed through all these CU posts to get to posts I give a crap about. I wouldn't be so frustrating if the game was releasing soon or if there was more tangable information about it. Nonetheless I come to this site and all I see are OMG I CANT WAIT FOR DAOC2!!!!

At the same time there are titles releasing this year that deserve discussion as well but sometimes you just can't predict the behavior of sheep.

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Originally posted by DJMantiss

I'm still very skeptical as well. PvE was a VERY large part of DAoC and how anyone can forget that is beyond me. There was a lot of down time when the other realm would just "leave." That is when we did dungeons, BGs, crafting, whatever. To think that any game can survive on this purely RvR model is naive. It hasn't worked with any other game to-date, so why would it work for Camelot Unchained? 

The plan thus far comes off half-baked to me and even the blog-site is inconsistent in terms of communication and how his idas will translate into the game. I invest in things that show consistent and well thought out plans, with the ability to tweak and change as circumstances require. What I won't invest in is a kick-starter that seems soley reliant on RvR and a lot of "wants" with nothing showing the need or how plausible these ideas are.

As much as I hate PvE content, I still believe it is a vital part of an MMO.  It completes a community and world.

PvE content also provides the mindless drones who are drawn to zerging like a moth to flame.  Tearing through large numbers of player characters is so damn satisfying and is a nice respite from serious competition.

I think the source of this prematre excitement is the marketing efforts prior to the kickstarter campaign.

Exactly, otherwise why are these realms fighting at all? There is no great calamity, no Dragons, evil gods, forces of evil/good/potatoes taking over everything. To me if they remove all or most facets of PvE then why does the RvR matter? Are we fighting over the right to build a house on that greener side of the fence? What is the benefit? What is the benefit to taking this risk?

All of those questions and a thousand more make the game concept appear half-arsed. Which is why I personally consider this vapor-ware until we see a fully realized and fleshed out concept complete with an actual reason for conflict and the incentives/risks associated with it.

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

Personally, I come to this site for general MMO news and have for many years. Lately it seems as though CU is the only acceptable discussion. While we cannot control what others create as topics, it is frustrating to me to have to weed through all these CU posts to get to posts I give a crap about. I wouldn't be so frustrating if the game was releasing soon or if there was more tangable information about it. Nonetheless I come to this site and all I see are OMG I CANT WAIT FOR DAOC2!!!!

At the same time there are titles releasing this year that deserve discussion as well but sometimes you just can't predict the behavior of sheep.

WTF? Just go and talk about something else. Nobody is forbiding you to go to another forum and talk there about something else. If you give crap about posts here why do you even read them? You are hilarious.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Personally, I come to this site for general MMO news and have for many years. Lately it seems as though CU is the only acceptable discussion. While we cannot control what others create as topics, it is frustrating to me to have to weed through all these CU posts to get to posts I give a crap about.

How is CU the only acceptable discussion? If you want to discuss another game, go to its forum and discuss it. Nobody is stopping you. I constantly ignore posts about games I don't care about when they pop on the front page. Why is that so hard for you and the OP? Don't like CU? Stop coming to its forum! We will all welcome your abscence.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I did not realize the extent that MMO gamers will go for mental masturbation until seeing this explosion of posts here and on another forum for another game. It's a really fascinating thing to watch, though.

Well, we could just bash WOW again for ruining MMORPG's, but even that enjoyable hobby is getting a little stale.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Good lord... why do you even care? Let 'me, have their fun. It's not costing you anything.

It's not my game, I am not sure I have three more years of MMOs in me, let alone a PvP one, but I think it's cool that people are excited for what's coming.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

2016 is a long way off, way too much hype over this and it has not really even started to be worked on. Hell it may get canned or be just another major dissapointment.

Heard and read rough details about it, aint going to follow or read much else untill closer to the time (if it is still in the works). But i also have to agree that there is too much hype about this game right now.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I don't think you undertsand the concept of a discussion forum.

Nobody is forcing you to click on this forum or read any of the topics.

If you want a place where people only discuss the topics that you think are relevant then go make your own website.

This discussion has been closed.