Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does anyone have anything POSITIVE to say

Comments

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by CluckingChicken
    When this game was first announced, the community was stellar. But then the general crowd found its way here. Most MMO forums never get this bad unless its close to release. I really hope this negativity clears up soon. I would hate to be in MJs shoes, having to filter through all the shit to find the few good posts around here. Sadly I have succumbed to the hatred as well, and I simply have to avoid these forums most of the time now.

I agree completely, Clucking.  I know I haven't seen eye to eye on you simply because of your vocal distaste with DAoC veterans, but your reasoning for being irritated is valid - despite that fact that your posts were.. hmm.. less than tactful.

Hopefully the community returns to something satisifying and enjoyable.  Right now, it's either COMPLETELY in one direction or COMPLETELY divided with bitterness.  It's almost worse than all the 'l2p' and general douchebagness of the WoW forums.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49

Well, once the kickstart launches and is successful, we will have forums and the start of a community of people who actually bought into the game and kickstart, not a bunch of board trolls with nothing else to do with their time.

Then we can get meaningful discussions about the game and its future going.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Anyone else find it ironic that a post that is trying to remind everyone to be positive is slowly turning into a negative thread?

mcool is quite a passive-aggressive poster.

You make me like charity

• mcoolmcool Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Anyone else find it ironic that a post that is trying to remind everyone to be positive is slowly turning into a negative thread?

mcool is quite a passive-aggressive poster.

hahahahaha. 

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

WoW is popular because of instant gratification and the bling bling visuals. But there s no depth in the game. And thats what the majority of players want nowadays, But not only that, but since most of the companies offer games with instant gratification (mmowise), majority of people tend to stick to that, when a game that requires some actual "hard work", thinking, strategies etc, they cant handle it.  So they stick to the genre.

Leaving the minority that wants more out of a game a bit forgotten.

But as far as having positive stuff said, at least when it concerns CU, majority of us so far tend be quite positive.

Once in while, someone that likes to play like we do makes a game for us.

That is good news :)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by mcool

The negativity on the forums is staggering.  It seems to me that the posts that gets that get the most responses are the ones where the gaming industry or the players are being criticized. 

So, you chose to create a post about the negativity and critize those that are being negative and critizing?

Has the world really be so...weakened...that people are going to continually complain about people who have complaints? Have we really fallen so far that some people believe that others have no right to say anything negative about a product? Have so many people lost all power in their lives that they think that a consumer has no right to voice their concerns? Are there really so many people out there that dont understand that a fan of a genre will want as much of that genre to be good to them that they actually SHOULD be voicing their opinions instead of just bending over and grabbing their ankles?

Seriously people...if people stopped complaining about complainers there wouldnt be half as many complaints being posted.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    I think the overwhelming majority of posts on this forum are positive or at least supportive of the efforts of MJ.  Oh, there are the few trolls, here and there... but trolls are like cockroaches, they're everywhere in some small quantity.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196

Negativity?  I see a lot of excitement about the game.  The only negativity I see are some responses to some posts by people putting forth terrible ideas.  But most of the threads are generating some great discussion.

guild wars 2, WOW and TERA are much than swg,everquest and ultima online. take off your nostalgia tinted glasses and be happy, we are moving in the right direction but it will take time ;)

If you really think that, I'm not sure CU will be the game for you.  SWG, EQ and UO were light years better MMOs than GW2, WOW and Tera.  I didn't like a single one of those latter 3, and loved the first 3 (I would include DAOC in the SWG/EQ/UO generation of MMOs when I considered MMOs to be in their golden years).

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

WoW is popular because of instant gratification and the bling bling visuals.

What?  The game has been rediculed for it's graphics since day 1.  It became popular *despite* the cartoon style.  I remember back in college when working at computer retailer, pretty much the only selling point for the original Mac Mini was "It runs World of Warcraft."  Here you had the crappiest expensive computer in the store, with I think 512MB of RAM, and some ghetto ATI card, but it could still run WoW.

Even the instant gratification thing has only been in the last 4 or 5 years.  Vanilla and TBC was basically a whinefest of players complaining about how only 2% of the playerbase get to experience 90% of the new content (high end raids and PvP equipment which required massive time investments).

WoW was crazy popular before they simplified it to the point of idiocy.

You make me like charity

When this game was first announced, the community was stellar. But then the general crowd found its way here. Most MMO forums never get this bad unless its close to release. I really hope this negativity clears up soon. I would hate to be in MJs shoes, having to filter through all the shit to find the few good posts around here. Sadly I have succumbed to the hatred as well, and I simply have to avoid these forums most of the time now.

Exactly.  Now we have the mccool and the colddogs in here now that want to turn DAOC into another cookie cutter quest-grinding MMO like WOW.  You can't escape it.  There are always people that want to turn every game into a F2P boring MMO and can't stand any diversity in the marketplace.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by jtcgs

The negativity on the forums is staggering.  It seems to me that the posts that gets that get the most responses are the ones where the gaming industry or the players are being criticized. 

So, you chose to create a post about the negativity and critize those that are being negative and critizing?

Has the world really be so...weakened...that people are going to continually complain about people who have complaints? Have we really fallen so far that some people believe that others have no right to say anything negative about a product? Have so many people lost all power in their lives that they think that a consumer has no right to voice their concerns? Are there really so many people out there that dont understand that a fan of a genre will want as much of that genre to be good to them that they actually SHOULD be voicing their opinions instead of just bending over and grabbing their ankles?

Seriously people...if people stopped complaining about complainers there wouldnt be half as many complaints being posted.

To be fair, the same can be said about the constant complainers. Have we become so self centered that we need to constantly belittle every game in development even before it is in an alpha stage? Are we so self centered that every game has to cater to our wants and preferences? Is there not enough niche games coming out to satisfy every style of player? Can we vets not come to the realization that tastes have changed and games are no longer mass marketed to suit our style of "hardcore" game play?

Just saying...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I will say something positive.

Despite all the neuroses and disillusionment carried over from past games that project the mechanics of those games onto CU prematurely (and often immaturely), I think that the chance for a real, meaningful RvR experience is possible in CU far more than any mmorpg made to date, and it's kind of ironic that those most vocal in their negativity are those who could possibly benefit from CU's innovation most if they would give it a chance.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by sweetdigs

Exactly.  Now we have the mccool and the colddogs in here now that want to turn DAOC into another cookie cutter quest-grinding MMO like WOW.  You can't escape it.  There are always people that want to turn every game into a F2P boring MMO and can't stand any diversity in the marketplace.

What? In another thread I even said I thought quest grinds were horrible and that I preferred to level either through PvP or some type of dungeon-like experience with a group of other players.

And who said anything about changing the game? There isn't even a game at all yet. If anything, Jacobs is asking for feedback from the community - a community that includes many different types of players and preferences. Believe it or not, your personal preferences are not the only ones that matter.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I do have something positive to say.. 

Proton.

That'll be all.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• SiecefireSiecefire Member Posts: 23

Honestly, I don't have anything negative to say about the game.  Mainly because there isn't a game yet!

I personally think that a title shouldn't even be hyped by websites such as this until you have something to show for it.  I am amazed that so far, we have a short teaser trailer that shows...well...nothing.  We have a few "developer interviews" by people who have so far developed....well...nothing.  We as a gaming community should hold ourselves to a higher standard and not hype up an "idea", yes I am calling it an idea since there is no "game" at this point.

Certainly there have been many games in the past that have been hyped far ahead of any real progress simply on the strength of their developers reputation.  Richard Garriott was telling us the next great thing was Tabula Rasa.  How did that work out?  Who is making a game is simply not enough anymore.  It isn't what you say, its what you DO that defines you.

We should be praising, (or complaining) at least for the games that are truly in development.  Ones that show us video of ACTUAL gameplay, not some teaser trailer that makes no sense.

It's not about love or hate for any title.  However, the title should actually exist in some capacity beyond the frenzied vaporware hopes and dreams of those who played DAoC until thier fingers bled.  We should all demand more, but for some reason we don't.  The hype meter shows 8.41 for this game.  Why?  This is the equivelent of telling everyone that your favorite car company is coming out with a new sportscar in 2020 and everyone should buy it, when you don't even know what the hell its going to be yourself!

There has to be justification for this level of excitement.  Only there isn't.  The game shouldn't even be on the list at this point, simply becuase it has nothing to show for its self. If it turns out to be great, hey I loved DAoC and I will be the first in line to play this one, but for god's sake lets make them show us something before you throw down your money for that 2020 car that turns out to be a piece of cardboard.

• ClaudeSuamOramClaudeSuamOram Member Posts: 122
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Yes, I like playing MMO's especially Tera and GW2 at the moment. Is that OK?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

MMO'S are getting better, they just cant repoduce the same feeling you got when you played your first mmorpg.. 

Philosophically and fundamentally true.  I can't go back to the point in my life when I played my first MMO.  When I lived in my mom's basement, worked part time, and spent all my free time playing MMOs with friends.

Today, I just don't have the time or energy to dedicate 100% to any MMO.

The problem isn't bad games, the problem is the people who play the games and expect more than what they're getting.  And they will never get what they expect.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by gigat

MMO'S are getting better, they just cant repoduce the same feeling you got when you played your first mmorpg.. 

Philosophically and fundamentally true.  I can't go back to the point in my life when I played my first MMO.  When I lived in my mom's basement, worked part time, and spent all my free time playing MMOs with friends.

Today, I just don't have the time or energy to dedicate 100% to any MMO.

The problem isn't bad games, the problem is the people who play the games and expect more than what they're getting.  And they will never get what they expect.

I think there are many people out there that would love devs to actually do less effort and keep out the portals, instant dungeon popup, stupid dailies etc. All lost efforts that could be put into basic and simple, but much more immersive gameplay.

On a side note, and not at all related to gaming, FC Barcelona won from AC Milan 4-0 and got through to quarter finals of the CL and it was a great match with nice FOOTball. That's great news!

• ZhylawZhylaw Member Posts: 115

There is a DIFFERENCE between a bad game and a game that you don't enjoy. Unforutentalty alot of people have trouble seeing the difference between the two.

For example:

DDO: I believe this is a great game if your into hardcore D&D and min/maxing. I think this is one of the very few games that actually has a good F2P model and has greatly benefited from going F2P. But personally its not my cup of tea and I don't play it.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Ummm....I like The Secret World :)

Joined - July 2004

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

The optimist will almost always have at least some of their hopes dashed.

The pessimist can on occasion be pleasantly surprised.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Fairy tale endings are called that for a reason.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    who are all the bat rastards getting paid to post 10 forum threads on this game per day?  I mean, come on guys, at least try to fake it.