Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Contraband Corporation Rep Grind

Am I reading correctly that the only way to gain reputation points with the new Reputation faction is to buy the new Contraband Cartel Pack gambling boxes?

Comments

• Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Am I reading correctly that the only way to gain reputation points with the new Reputation faction is to buy the new Contraband Cartel Pack gambling boxes?

Unless you want to spend a buttload of credits on the packs on the GTN, yes. I am ending my subscription with this game. Last straw sort of thing.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    If that is true it seems rather odd.  Whats the advantage to bringing up the faction?  I like leveling up my characters to 50, but see very lttle reason in playing them once their leveled up.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by buegur

If that is true it seems rather odd.  Whats the advantage to bringing up the faction?  I like leveling up my characters to 50, but see very lttle reason in playing them once their leveled up.

Well, hopefully they stay alive long enough to release a story continuation. 

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083

Unless you want to spend a buttload of credits on the packs on the GTN, yes. I am ending my subscription with this game. Last straw sort of thing.

Seems like a pretty hot topic in the official forums. This thread made today already reached 54 pages.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=609921

My favorite line so far:

I want to note that the design philosophy behind this Reputation was to specifically thank the players who purchase the best-selling items on the Cartel Market, the packs.

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

Sinply not true. Here is an article from our guild website.

When you reach 50 you can either level an alternative character, or you can participate in the end game. Of course there's no reason why you can't do both!

If you want to participate in the end game, the most important thing you must do is start running the hard level instances. There are two reasons to do this. First, and most important, it will help you gear up for the operations (the eight man instances). Second, and closely related to the first, if you use the group finder once a day you can earn black hole commendations which help you gear up with black hole gear. This gear will qualify you for most of the operations.

The second most important thing to do when you reach 50 is to earn credits to fund your activities. The primary way you do this is to run daily missions. Some of them pay as high as 16k credits! You will find these missions on Ilum, the Black Hole, and Belsavis.

Another way to earn credits is to do the daily space missions. These don't pay as well as the dailies, but hey, a credit is a credit.

Another way you can earn credits is to run heroics. These can be run once a day.

At 50 you have a choice to make. You can stay with the guild as a teacher, or you can be placed in a raiding guild (allowing you to run operations). The guild will not run operations so if you want to participate in that part of the end game you will need to be a part of a raiding guild.

There are two kinds of raiding guilds. The first kind is the hard core raiding guilds. These usually raid three or four times a week and require you to attend them all. The second kind is a casual raiding guild. These may also run three or four times a week, but attendance is not required.

Whether you stay or not, another important end game activity is to help other players. Social interaction is an important part of an MMO (Massive Multilayer Game). You can help others level, run heroics, and gear up for operations by running instances with them. You can also just be available for answering questions leveling characters ask.

Another important aspect of the end game at 50 is crafting. You can make a lot of credits on the GTN by selling your crafted items. You can also help people in the guild by making items for them.

Something else you can do at 50 is to search for all the datacroms in the game. If you didn't get them as you leveled, this can be very satisfying. The datacroms increase your base stats and make you a better character. BW has made finding the datacroms challenging and fun. To find out where the datacroms are and to get some help in finding them go to this site: http://www.swtor-spy.com/datacrons/

Finally, when you reach 50 you can pvp. I know, you don't think you're any good at it; but, the only way to get better is to do it. PVP requires special gear so will want to buy the recruit set first (about 130k), and then earn the next two tiers by pvping.

Life after 50 is good! Enjoy it!

Ahnog
    Dean Republic University

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Your guilds reasons are valid just not very fun in my opinion.  Repeating dailies/weeklies for gear so I can do harder dailies just doesn't float my boat enough to do them.  I do like making new characters and running their story lines up so I do that instead.  I also like crafting for my new characters as the gear does well until they hit the leveling limit.  I also will help any lower character who needs help with storylines or questing.  I just wish they could of developed the faction warfare into something meaningful or even developed player towns/housing as in SWG, just give something other than just gear chasing to do at the high level!
  • Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083

Seems like a pretty hot topic in the official forums. This thread made today already reached 54 pages.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=609921

My favorite line so far:

I want to note that the design philosophy behind this Reputation was to specifically thank the players who purchase the best-selling items on the Cartel Market, the packs.

Yes. Let's reward them by asking them to spend more money.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Your guilds reasons are valid just not very fun in my opinion.  Repeating dailies/weeklies for gear so I can do harder dailies just doesn't float my boat enough to do them.  I do like making new characters and running their story lines up so I do that instead.  I also like crafting for my new characters as the gear does well until they hit the leveling limit.  I also will help any lower character who needs help with storylines or questing.  I just wish they could of developed the faction warfare into something meaningful or even developed player towns/housing as in SWG, just give something other than just gear chasing to do at the high level!

Then i suggest give up on themepark MMOS all together because dailies, monthlies and the grind attached to it ito chase gear at level cap sn't going anwyhere.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    An entire rep grind based on spending real money.. can that website from last year do another worst company in America awards please?
  • leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Yeah this reputation grind is pretty incredible.  Has any other f2p game done anything similar before?  It's pretty sketchy if you ask me.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by leojreimroc
    Yeah this reputation grind is pretty incredible.  Has any other f2p game done anything similar before?  It's pretty sketchy if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure this is a first. I thought they would just sell Rep boost potions. The concept of giving a bonus to rep for buying stuff could be ssen as kosher, but excluding gaining rep in game but only from buying gambling packs seems pretty off-putting to me.

I'm not even going to bring up Pary to Win, since someone will just say the rep rewards have no stats; it still seems skeezy, especially to the long time subscribers.

• yea i can certainly see how this is going to upset people, im certainly not thrilled with it.  however i  will say it does offer up a way for people to possibly get items that they had been trying to get from packs but couldn't since that seems to be what the vendors are selling along with the chest pieces they removed from the market. but i think they should have found a better way to do this

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/23516-game-update-1-7-2-contraband-resale-corporation

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    lol, you guys wanted "Free to Play."

You make me like charity

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

I just started reading that thread on the official forums, and one of the first responses I find pretty funny (and sad actually).

Someone said: "If you can't trade them... Well, it's pretty sickening how they are allowed to screw over subbed players."

Uh, subscribers are allowing themselves to be screwed over. If you don't like what a company is doing, stop giving them money! I really don't know why this is such a difficult concept to understand.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Most of these items to buy from vendor drop from cartel packs... players were complaining that they should be able to buy on cartel market the exact items (like Revan Mask) and not gamble through boxes.. LOL I guess that's an answer to this request :)

Thr reputation items mention Makeb... it might be that when expansion will come, you will be able to gain the reputation via quests there... right now... cartel packs

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Guess they need that SimCity Legal Defense Fund nice and stocked up.

You know for as bad as it looks, I wonder if the items are BOP or tradeable. For people(like me) that usually just buy 1 pack a month with the allotment and buy titles or what not through GTN, this might help deflate some of the crazy priced items.

I don't know that's about the only positive spin I can put on this blatant cash grab.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

Guess they need that SimCity Legal Defense Fund nice and stocked up.

You know for as bad as it looks, I wonder if the items are BOP or tradeable. For people(like me) that usually just buy 1 pack a month with the allotment and buy titles or what not through GTN, this might help deflate some of the crazy priced items.

I don't know that's about the only positive spin I can put on this blatant cash grab.

Apparently, the gambling packs themselves are tradeable, but the items are BoP.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Most of these items to buy from vendor drop from cartel packs... players were complaining that they should be able to buy on cartel market the exact items (like Revan Mask) and not gamble through boxes.. LOL I guess that's an answer to this request :)

I remember thost complaints as well. Most were complaining because they were spending lots of money on those packs and not getting their Revan mask. Well now here it is on a silver platter. Enjoy.  ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    And yet you will all be playing tomorrow. Hate to say it but anything that has EA on it should be avoided I know I will and that means giving up Battlefield.

Someone either smarter or more familiar with the new rep grind (preferably both) figure out the cost of getting to the end of the new faction rep grind. The last estimate I heard was 63 gambling packs + 10 more for certificates at a total cost of US $170, or if listed on the GTN (assuming players are able to convert the packs directly to in game credits) 18 million credits.

Does that sound about right?

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Very, very soon, the usual suspects will be in here telling everyone that "SWTOR isn't pissing on you, that's rain!". It's as inevitably as the rising sun.
  • DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by MortisRex
    Very, very soon, the usual suspects will be in here telling everyone that "SWTOR isn't pissing on you, that's rain!". It's as inevitably as the rising sun.

Actually, I couldn't believe there were people complaining.  When I got packs today, the first time I've spend real money on them, I thought the rep stuff was a great idea.  Previously, when I bought packs of the GTN or with my free monthly coins I would sometimes be disappointed to get absolutely nothing of value.  Now I was guaranteed to at least get something useful, rep.  So yes, well before I saw any complaints on the forum I felt that I was getting rewarded for buying the packs.

People complaining are completely out of line, as far as I'm concerned.  It's a rep for buying packs, that's it.  There is no reason for you to get that rep if you don't buy packs.  None of the gear you get is required for end game, it's all cosmetic.  Secondly, you get free coins every month so you'll get rep without spending another penny and lastly you can buy the packs off the GTN.  On my server they go for 250-300k.  I can make that in 2 hours doing dailies or crafting.  That's how I was buying packs before this.

I got 2 skiffs, and a crapload of other cool stuff.  Lots of people in my guild bought the 24 packs.  We're all working adults and we all had fun opening packs.  Not a single rage quit over not being able to do this rep grind if you didn't buy packs.

Originally posted by DaRoamer

Actually, I couldn't believe there were people complaining.  When I got packs today, the first time I've spend real money on them, I thought the rep stuff was a great idea.  Previously, when I bought packs of the GTN or with my free monthly coins I would sometimes be disappointed to get absolutely nothing of value.  Now I was guaranteed to at least get something useful, rep.  So yes, well before I saw any complaints on the forum I felt that I was getting rewarded for buying the packs.

People complaining are completely out of line, as far as I'm concerned.  It's a rep for buying packs, that's it.  There is no reason for you to get that rep if you don't buy packs.  None of the gear you get is required for end game, it's all cosmetic.  Secondly, you get free coins every month so you'll get rep without spending another penny and lastly you can buy the packs off the GTN.  On my server they go for 250-300k.  I can make that in 2 hours doing dailies or crafting.  That's how I was buying packs before this.

I got 2 skiffs, and a crapload of other cool stuff.  Lots of people in my guild bought the 24 packs.  We're all working adults and we all had fun opening packs.  Not a single rage quit over not being able to do this rep grind if you didn't buy packs.

So you should be able to grind that rep, assuming you do little else, in 3 months without a hitch. (That's 3 months of subbing one would assume, credit requirements and all.) Unless of course you drop $170 in one shot. I also like how you slip in "working adults". Apparently now even "kids" just paying their $15 a month just doesn't cut the mustard. Obviously all the "adults" recognize that a sub (an outdated model which is why SWTOR went Freemium) is not enough. If you want new content, you should pay extra, as all "working adults" do.

Have you ever been to a strip club?

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

This is pretty much the reason I out right quit playing SW:TOR after hearing the free to play news announcement.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by DaRoamer

So you should be able to grind that rep, assuming you do little else, in 3 months without a hitch. (That's 3 months of subbing one would assume, credit requirements and all.) Unless of course you drop $170 in one shot. I also like how you slip in "working adults". Apparently now even "kids" just paying their $15 a month just doesn't cut the mustard. Obviously all the "adults" recognize that a sub (an outdated model which is why SWTOR went Freemium) is not enough. If you want new content, you should pay extra, as all "working adults" do.

Have you ever been to a strip club?

It isn't new content though. Rise of the hutt cartel is new content we have to pay for , but this new rep grind is a way for the poor sods that spend limitless amounts of real money to have a chance of getting what they actually wanted from the cartel packs. Doesn't bother me one bit , give them something back I say. Noting that they could have bought that stuff off the GTN for in-game credits , they can even buy these new cartel packs off the GTN.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]