Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XP grind. Mob or Quest?

Comments

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Both. I'd like a group-grind path through the game and lots of solo quests (mostly not in long chains) scattered around and then i'd swap between them depending on mood.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, both have its bad parts.

Mobs often turn into spawn camping and that becomes boring fast.

Quests turns fast into "kill 10 rats" and are equally bad.

Personally I think both should have little XP while the main XP are for veterans, champions and bosses, preferably with less XP for each time you kill the same thing the same day so people have to move around more.

Awarding most XP for hard things stops people from leveling too easy, as we all remember spawn camping is often pretty simple and reward should always be based on the risk you take.

Also questbased games needs to be better on rewarding more for hard and less for easy quests, it often feels the same for all of them nowadays.

I would also give plenty of XP for completing dungeons and opening chests.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Psychow

I would rather quest.  Mindlessly killing mobs for no other reason than to gain XP is not a gamestyle I would want to participate in.

I'm sure developers would LOVE it if we did prefer mob grinding tho. Just think of all the costs they can save from having to provide content for it's players!

and I envy you, because every MMORPG now cater to your preference.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I prefer lvling off mobs and Quest are acualy real quest that give good rewards that arnt gonna be replaced in 5 minutes. Also turn in quest where u can loot no trade items from mobs and trade them in to a merchant at anytime for XP and money and all that u dont need the quest for these itesm to drop Like how they worked in Everquest.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I would much rather mob grind, than quest grind in most mmos.  The only quest mmo I actually liked the quests and thought they were interesting for the most part was TSW.  Just sucks that they always make mob grinding not even comparable.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

I would rather quest.  Mindlessly killing mobs for no other reason than to gain XP is not a gamestyle I would want to participate in.

I'm sure developers would LOVE it if we did prefer mob grinding tho. Just think of all the costs they can save from having to provide content for it's players!

your thinking is wrong there m8.

Developers won't have to do less. they actually have to do the same amount of work. to make mob grinding intresting they have to make a huge open world to explore and within that world have big open dungeons filled with patrols where 1 wrong move would kill your party.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Mob grind for the win..   I just wish we could go back to the days of EQ (pre PoP), but just tweak some minor things and make the world even bigger..  I would of loved the option to be known as the "Druid" of the Karanas, where I can go from birth to max level without leaving that starting area.. EQ was the close to the perfect start, but never advanced.. Tis a shame..
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I play a game where you can grind, quest, dungeon, event or throw sand around your sandbox.  Making friends or not making friends is up to me as well.  

UP   TO   ME.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Arclan

In EQ, we earned xp several hours at a time by killing mobs. Much of that time involved joking around with newly met friends. Often, you came to respect their wit and skill and made a game-long friend and in some cases a lifelong friend.

In Vanguard, I earned xp by doing quests. This never involved staying in one place for more than just a few minutes. If you are busy moving or fighting, you don't have time to chat. So no new friends were made in Vanguard.

Most games require xp, and many refer to that as a 'grind.' So pick your poison.

Are you playing a game, or trying to make friends?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I have to say that I love quests when they are actual quests. Which is rare to non-existant.

Having me run down to the river to kill 5 of X is not a quest. It's a job. Which is fine, I don't mind being payed to get rid of local fauna. But other than that, I'd rather go out and explore and hunt monsters over "run here... now run there... now go back.. now run and talk to one person who has nothing to say and run back again."

That makes quests tedious relay races.

@mannish: I actually play tera mostly with mob grinding sprinkled with the quests. And I grind BAMS which have been somewhat lucrative but only solo.

also, do you think they will make L3 a grinder game? I fear they won't.

Considering changes which they have made to L2, I would say it is unlikely.

The fact that they made L2 casual is the only reason why I cant play it anymore. Now they are giving equip away for free, they also implemented quests,...

I think they are too influenced by the themepark generation of 2004-2013.

Yeah, that's kind of my thought as well. I haven't seen the quests yet. I just loaded it up again on the weekend and tried to find a good grinding spot for my 78 Stormscreamer.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by KaosProphet
    ... I'mma throw out option three here: SOT, skill-over-time, the way Eve did it. This way you're "levelling" while you're doing... whatever you feel like doing. Grinding mobs, grinding quests, grinding craftables, or just shooting the breeze at whatever social hub the game might have.

I would Love for an MMO to implement the xp over time mechanic from Eve. Perhaps have multiple xp bars (one for xp gain, another for time in game, etc). So that a toon powerleveled to max will lack certain abilities/advantages of a character with more tenure.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Arclan

In EQ, we earned xp several hours at a time by killing mobs. Much of that time involved joking around with newly met friends. Often, you came to respect their wit and skill and made a game-long friend and in some cases a lifelong friend.

In Vanguard, I earned xp by doing quests. This never involved staying in one place for more than just a few minutes. If you are busy moving or fighting, you don't have time to chat. So no new friends were made in Vanguard.

Most games require xp, and many refer to that as a 'grind.' So pick your poison.

Are you playing a game, or trying to make friends?

Go play your beloved single players games. u do not belong here.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by xeniar

your thinking is wrong there m8.

Developers won't have to do less. they actually have to do the same amount of work. to make mob grinding intresting they have to make a huge open world to explore and within that world have big open dungeons filled with patrols where 1 wrong move would kill your party.

Well, they do that in quest oriented games also.

I just imagine a mob grinding game having a forest or enemy camp...with various wildlife or enemies...and groups of players killing anything that moves and continuing until the mobs re-spawn and then doing it over and over and over and over...

If that is not how it worls, then I admit I'm wrong. I have avoided mob grinding games so I may not know of special features that make such gamestyle fun for players.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    A fair mix of "grinding" and questing is needed.  However, not themepark question.  Story based questing is the way to go.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have yet to see a class/player that gets an ability that revolves around questing.Your abilities such as buffs,heals,dps are all centered around killing mobs.

Also follwing around yellow question marks is not even gaming in the sense of a ROLE playing world,you are just playing connect the dots,playing the game the way the developer wants you to play,not the way you want to play.That wouldn't be considered role playing by definition,so go fogure devs call their games rpg's.

It has become status quo for the simple reason it is VERY simple content to generate in the thousands.The developer can setup one simple array of commands and triggers and just plugin in tons of variances.

I don't mind quests at all,they shoudl be there and have a purpose,but they do not.

Furthermore,how can one justify your player becomeing more experienced at combat just because they delivered a styne of ale to a npc?Heck your player wouldn't be experienced at anything,other than proving yo uare not an alcoholic becuase you delivered the Styne full and not half empty.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Before answering which I prefer, I want to understand a little better why the game is offering me XP.  What exactly is the purpose of having this illusion of ever-increasing power?  And if I'm simply intending to power my way through it to some content at the end, why is it there in the first place?

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

I have pleasent memories from Anarchy Online! The mob grinding, at least for me, made the games more social, people would just sit near the grinding spot waiting for teams and chatting while doing it and once the grinding started players would still chat. Most games that I played in last few years players just join team and most don't bother saying "hi" or even "cya". I could say it's because of Dungeon Finders it seems to plague most game, I am recently playing PoE and most people don't even bother saying "hi" when they ask for teleport.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• Verik97Verik97 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Mob grinding is definitely better imo. Quests should be epic and heroic feats, not helping Farmer Joe clear his field of rats or running errands for Guardsman Bob, who needs you to deliver a message to his girlfriend.

Also, with quest grinding. The way they're currently set up you spend entierly too much time running from point A to point B and then back to point B, only to get new points to run to. When did MMO's become about running around so much and less about kick ass and meeting others who did the same? Nearly every game since DAOC came out now has 2-4 minute "rides" on mounts as a form of fast travel/money sink. Every MMO that I play has me running around so much that I never feel like I get to actually enjoy the game and taking a "ride" on a gryphon/speeder/horse is just developers automating the process and eating my gaming time.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Best way, is to do a quest, and grind mobs along the way. This way I get the best of both worlds.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

So true. I play Allods Online and it really sucks when you also have to grind reputation quests for gear along with the regular quests. Once you get to the level 35+ areas the reputation quests only give about 250-400 reputation experience and to get the gear you need so you don't suck in that particular area you have to earn 25k reputation. 

I finally got so sick of it that I bought scrolls from the item shop that doubled the reputation you earned for each quest, but that's bordering on pay to win because if you don't use them instead of having to do 32 reputation quests you have to do 63 (this is the exact number of reputation quests you have to do for one of the areas too because I calculated it when I got the reputation scrolls). I don't have time to talk to anyone but my guild when I have to grind like that! 

Smile

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

prefer questing solo

prefer grinding mobs in player groups

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

Runescape had the best model imo. The quests were actually real quests that involved traveling all over the world, solving riddles, obtaining rare items and some of them even had epic story lines spaning across multiple parts. There is not a single kill X many or collect X many quests in the game. But these quests didn't give massive xp rewards, only very little combat xp and sometimes for crafting professions. Other times they would give you a special item or access to a new area, but practically all of your xp would come from grinding. Wether that would be killing trolls or chopping down trees, essentially, to progress in the game you had to grind. And it was great because there's so many options to choose from no matter what skill you were leveling and you could always meet other people.

I mean if two people are in the same place killing mobs for an half an hour they would eventually talk to each other right? So even though it was not the end goal to make friends you end up making them anyway because of the nature of the game. And that's one aspect that I really enjoyed about it.

Another thing I want to add to this is that if you were fighting powerful monsters there was chance you could die and lose your stuff. Health regenrates at an extremely slow pace so you always needed to carry food with you, but it could only be a limited amount since you would need to save inventory slots for other items such potions. I think this really added more depth to the grind and made it a lot more exciting because you needed to have some sort of strategy or escape plan.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'd like a game with both, where non-quest content are the primary activity for experience and general loot with a smaller chance for superior loot, but quests, while not as common, give you a sizeable chunk of experience and guaranteed superior loot, but you can only do a few each day and they should be very involved, then you spend the rest of your time exploring, crafting, PvPing, roleplaying, mini games, physical and mental puzzles and camping  solo or with friends and aquaintances.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by LauraFrost

and I envy you, because every MMORPG now cater to your preference.

Yeah...it's pretty amazing being me. Happy and enjoying gameplay day after day. I hope it never ends!

:-)

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I'd like a game that has a bit of both. The mob hunting for the main bulk of the exp that promotes, dare I say require, grouping up to explore the tougher and tightly packed areas of dungeons and camps. IMO, making the mobs harder and less soloable makes the world feel more dangerous since you can't go running off into a dungeon on your own and expect to live long for the most part.

The quests should be light on exp, offer rewarding  and relevant to the quest items or skills and should be less in number / more involved than the current crop of quests. I think there can still be the collect x and return at the lower levels, but I'd like to see those phased out after the starting cities. Say a newbie leather or silk armor set made from pelts or silk strands dropped by the local wildlife you can bring to be made. Less of the kill 10 rats because I say and, viola, here's this magic sword!

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger