Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loot Timers need to change!!!

blackwyvernblackwyvern Member Posts: 3

I hate being two steps away from a piece of loot and not have enough time before somebody jacks something that was meant for me. The couple of seconds you get are simply not enough. It should be like 8 or 10 seconds. Gives you enough time to realize you received a yellow/gold item, and enough time to actually pick it up. I hate seeing that I got an item, only  to have it swapped up a second later.  When I say something about it, I get a reply, "If the devs didn't want other party members snatching stuff, they would have made the time longer..."

With that logic, why did the devs even make a timer at all? This is a good question because the timer serves no purpose with such a short duration.

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Agreed, the loot timers are WAY too short, especially since some of the items could be just off screen.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Just a heads up, I've posted about this and got burnt to a crisp with flaming lol.  I've had two uniques ninja looted from me, haven't touched this "hardcore" game since.  Just letting you know, they're all going to call you all kinds of names, and tell you you're not hardcore enough to play this hardcore game, when really it's ninja looting.  There's a reason why every single other game has gotten rid of, or have ways to help fight ninja looting...because it causes your community to run down the toilet...which this great game has the worst community I've ever seen.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I have met a bunch of great people in this game. I am more of a soloer though but ive enjoyed talking to almost everyone i merely trade with as well. Met some streamers and started streaming the game myself as well occasionally. The partying up part of the game is definately broken because GGG truly needs to make a 30 sec loot timer on things literally boggles the mind. Just be patient though because they WILL change it. They are also letting poeple reselect rewards for Bandit quests. Got a reply from a GM about that :D

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by blackwyvern

I hate being two steps away from a piece of loot and not have enough time before somebody jacks something that was meant for me. The couple of seconds you get are simply not enough. It should be like 8 or 10 seconds. Gives you enough time to realize you received a yellow/gold item, and enough time to actually pick it up. I hate seeing that I got an item, only  to have it swapped up a second later.  When I say something about it, I get a reply, "If the devs didn't want other party members snatching stuff, they would have made the time longer..."

With that logic, why did the devs even make a timer at all? This is a good question because the timer serves no purpose with such a short duration.

There is an almost 800 page thread on looting in the beta section.    The timer is just there as a compromise for their FFA looting and the fact that latency and ranged characters are at a disadvantage.  It isn't there to guarantee that a player gets their drop, but to make the disadvantage of latency and range from the mobs be less of a disadvantage for players.

Currently, the only way to ensure you get what is yours is to form a group of friends and play with them.  

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by blackwyvern

There is an almost 800 page thread on looting in the beta section.    The timer is just there as a compromise for their FFA looting and the fact that latency and ranged characters are at a disadvantage.  It isn't there to guarantee that a player gets their drop, but to make the disadvantage of latency and range from the mobs be less of a disadvantage for players.

Currently, the only way to ensure you get what is yours is to form a group of friends and play with them.  

Agreed. :)

I like it the way it is, if you're running with randoms and you're not really communicating with them or if they're crappy players and not doing much good anyway, just snap their stuff up if you can.

Don't like it? Play with mates. Either r/l ones or get looking in PuGs for regs to run with.

EDIT: I just can't wait for the cut-throat league.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Yesterday 3/18/13  They had a small patch which may help the loot timer problem some.

Version 0.10.3c

• Magic items are no longer allocated to specific players when they drop. The only items allocated are: Uniques, Rares, Gems, Currency and Maps.
    • Increased the base duration of the item allocation timer from 1.6 seconds to 2.6 seconds. There is still a bonus allocation time for characters that are a distance away (travel time +10%).
    • Allocated items no longer show a countdown timer or player name. They are still dimmed out while they are allocated to someone else.
    • These changes were made to reduce the number of allocated items (for readability), increase their allocation duration (for fairness) and to reduce the visual chaos associated with the timer and allocation name appearing and disappearing (for readability). In our testing it is now much easier to see what items bosses drop and to click the items that are allocated to you.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Just a heads up, I've posted about this and got burnt to a crisp with flaming lol.  I've had two uniques ninja looted from me, haven't touched this "hardcore" game since.  Just letting you know, they're all going to call you all kinds of names, and tell you you're not hardcore enough to play this hardcore game, when really it's ninja looting.  There's a reason why every single other game has gotten rid of, or have ways to help fight ninja looting...because it causes your community to run down the toilet...which this great game has the worst community I've ever seen.

And this game didnt do that so maybe this is not the game for you.

You should just stop playing it then. And it really is that simple....

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    they add loot time 1,5s more i think or maybe more idk
  • karlz0rkarlz0r Member Posts: 158

I think it was perfectly nice before. Got several free unique items and tons of free currency items.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

i want to complain about a mechanic i dont like in a game to raise awareness so the devs might possibly change it....so instead of posting on the actual games forums...i go to mmorpg.com and post there.

genius.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• karlz0rkarlz0r Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

i want to complain about a mechanic i dont like in a game to raise awareness so the devs might possibly change it....so instead of posting on the actual games forums...i go to mmorpg.com and post there.

genius.

Take it easy, they already increased the drop timers by half. It's very good right now.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Onigod
    Originally posted by Gravarg

And this game didnt do that so maybe this is not the game for you.

You should just stop playing it then. And it really is that simple....

Your right it's not the game for me either. I mean any game that ignores all the advancments of need before greed, assigned loot and everything that has been done to eliminate ninja looting in favor of having ninja looting is just sad. I'm sure a lot of people will stop playing this game when they get a unique ninja looted.

The game goes from having fun with your build killing monsters to ignoring the monsters and trying to pick up loot faster than other people. That or you can solo or group with friends. Having loot work the way it does enables ninja looting griefers and kills any cooperation, fairness, and even loot distribution that a public group should have. Having a loot system that makes grouping pointless since people will just steal your loot it's easy to stop playing this game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/