Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Southpaws (Left handed gamers), Razer wants your input on the layout of the left handed Naga

GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

https://www.facebook.com/razer

As the title says, Razers looking for feedback on the left handed Naga. Regular Keypad or Mirrored. Just sharing this because I know a few left handed players on this site. 

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Why does the difference matter?  Wouldn't you just map the skill you want on the top front key to button 1 if they use a normal layout and button 3 if they use a mirrored layout, and get exactly the same functionality either way?
  • SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Why does the difference matter?  Wouldn't you just map the skill you want on the top front key to button 1 if they use a normal layout and button 3 if they use a mirrored layout, and get exactly the same functionality either way?

Left handed gamer here.  I absolutely agree.  I don't care what you do with them.  Put the freaking numbers on backwards, upside down, in symbol text, etc..   I don't care, just make the freaking mouse already.  

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I think I speak for most lefties when I say that I've been using a right-handed mouse since I started using a PC. As a lefty, there are just some things in this world you have to do right-handed. I'm ambidextrous because of a lifetime spent in a right-handed world.

Joined - July 2004

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

It's not simply a macro pad like a G13. It is 123 etc. keys or you can switch it to be your number pad. Theres a bit of a difference. I haven't touched a number pad  since I got my naga because its just to convenient having it all at my thumb. You have to quit being such a little picture guy and take a look at the bigger picture. 

The layout may matter to some considering it's more than just a macro pad. To top that off, it seems there are a few thousand this seemed to matter to already so maybe you could ask them why it matters. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

It's not simply a macro pad like a G13. It is 123 etc. keys or you can switch it to be your number pad. Theres a bit of a difference. I haven't touched a number pad  since I got my naga because its just to convenient having it all at my thumb. You have to quit being such a little picture guy and take a look at the bigger picture. 

Wouldn't being able to switch that in software be the real solution, in which case, it still doesn't matter what they go with?

Wouldn't being able to switch that in software be the real solution, in which case, it still doesn't matter what they go with?

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying its better to switch 3 to 1 and 1 to 3 with the software rather than having the number actually match the key label it's assigned to? 

Like hitting the 1 key would type 3 and the 3 key would type 1?

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying its better to switch 3 to 1 and 1 to 3 with the software rather than having the number actually match the key label it's assigned to? 

I'm saying that it's better to let the end user assign the buttons to do whatever they want, rather than having to go with what a majority of people who hadn't used the mouse guessed that they'd prefer.  If you think you'd like it one way and change your mind after you use it, you should be able to switch what it does after you've used it.  If 2/3 of customers want it one way and 1/3 want it the other, they should all be able to get what they want.  If my $10 gamepad can do that, then there's no excuse for an $80+ mouse to not be able to do it.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm Ambidextrous, so it doesn't matter to me :)

I used to play my NES with the controller upside down, it "felt" better lol.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

I'm not going to put words in Quiz' mouth but I would venture to guess he is referring to software change of assignment for each button.  My own G600's 12 side buttons are generically assigned (the label on the buttons themselves) G9-G20 which relate to the "standard" 1-12 keys on a keyboard.  Regardless the software provided by Logitech (and Razer) will allow you to reassign said keys to any combination you choose.  I would agree that delaying the release of a mouse for something as minor as cosmetic design that is never going to suite all customers when you have an innate ability to change the funtions to suite individual needs seems rather odd.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Just throwing this out there ~

I don't play WoW, but I bought the cataclysm mouse for the funcionality.  The locations of the buttons is masterful and the software is easily configured.  

Coupled with my G13 and G110 and I have a sweet setup.  

IMHO, The naga is way too small.  The biggest complaint about the Cataclysm mouse is that it's "too big".  Well, that works great with my long fingers.

I was a logitech mouse guy for years, but their mouses (mice?) got smaller every year.

Random thoughts from a nobody ~

I'm saying that it's better to let the end user assign the buttons to do whatever they want, rather than having to go with what a majority of people who hadn't used the mouse guessed that they'd prefer.  If you think you'd like it one way and change your mind after you use it, you should be able to switch what it does after you've used it.  If 2/3 of customers want it one way and 1/3 want it the other, they should all be able to get what they want.  If my $10 gamepad can do that, then there's no excuse for an $80+ mouse to not be able to do it.

Ah, ok so you don't understand how the Razer Naga works then. No problem I can try and fix that. 

The Naga doesn't have generic keys on the side that you have to assign like a logitech G13 or Nos pad. It actually has Numbers that either coincide with your 1,2,3 keys or your number pad keys depending on which you currently have selected on the underside of the mouse. 

The naga works right out of the box without having to assign any keys at all. In MMO's its much easier for me to assign keys in game to my 1-0 keys and Num pad rather than going in and assigning each key on the naga. This gives me easy access to everything on my hot bars without ever having to take my hand off of my mouse. 

Yes, you can assign the keys to do what ever you want. You can make them all macros if you want. Out of the box though it works just like a keyboard does. Games actually register it the same as they would a keyboard. 

The key layout isn't about a "These keys can no longer be assigned to do anything else" kind of thing like it seems you assume. It's about the physical layout you have while using it in its default state. 

Asking those that will be using it their preferred hardware layout isn't a bad thing because the naga out of the box has a great deal of functionality without having to reasign keys on the mouse. Having a seperate number pad at your disposal negates a lot of need for reasigning keys especially when games and other software registers it as a num pad on a keyboard. 

I hope this cleared up your confusion :) 

Ah, ok so you don't understand how the Razer Naga works then. No problem I can try and fix that. 

The Naga doesn't have generic keys on the side that you have to assign like a logitech G13 or Nos pad. It actually has Numbers that either coincide with your 1,2,3 keys or your number pad keys depending on which you currently have selected on the underside of the mouse. 

The naga works right out of the box without having to assign any keys at all. In MMO's its much easier for me to assign keys in game to my 1-0 keys and Num pad rather than going in and assigning each key on the naga. This gives me easy access to everything on my hot bars without ever having to take my hand off of my mouse. 

Yes, you can assign the keys to do what ever you want. You can make them all macros if you want. Out of the box though it works just like a keyboard does. Games actually register it the same as they would a keyboard. 

The key layout isn't about a "These keys can no longer be assigned to do anything else" kind of thing like it seems you assume. It's about the physical layout you have while using it in its default state. 

Asking those that will be using it their preferred hardware layout isn't a bad thing because the naga out of the box has a great deal of functionality without having to reasign keys on the mouse. Having a seperate number pad at your disposal negates a lot of need for reasigning keys especially when games and other software registers it as a num pad on a keyboard. 

So basically, they're asking what people want the default functionality that they'll probably change away from anyway to be?  That strikes me as the sort of thing that a marketing person might post when he has nothing better to do, as opposed to a newsworthy announcement.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's just advertising for when it hits the market. "feed back " is just another way of saying " hey look what we're doing "

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by SteeJanz

Left handed gamer here.  I absolutely agree.  I don't care what you do with them.  Put the freaking numbers on backwards, upside down, in symbol text, etc..   I don't care, just make the freaking mouse already.  

No doubt. 

I'll give you one more - while excited about a left handed gamer mouse, I spent the last 14 years developing coping skills with the right-handed industry which make me wonder if it is necessary to learn a new device.

Its like, although I am left handed, my first guitar was a righty - so I learned to play it right handed. I had a wild hair a few years ago to try to learn it left-handed, so I could be one of those virtuosos who can play both. 

Mistake. I realized it would take another decade to condition my hands to the new way of playing. My left handed playing sounded like a kindergardner with a guitar and a chainsaw......

I'd be afraid of something similar by switching mice. 

But I'll buy the damn thing. Probably use it once and put it in the closet. 

I'm a perfect sucker as a consumer.

So basically, they're asking what people want the default functionality that they'll probably change away from anyway to be?  That strikes me as the sort of thing that a marketing person might post when he has nothing better to do.

They are asking how people want the hardware layout for the default functionality that most people don't change in MMOs, yes. 

I mean... lets keep in mind that in most MMOs your hotbar is set to 1-0 keys. Out of the box the naga has your hotbar at your thumb. Why would you assume most people would reasign those naga keys with that in mind? Lets say you didn't want the 1-0 keys within thumb reach and you wanted to do a secondary hotbar in a game like SWTOR or WoW. If you have a numpad at your thumb isn't it easier to simply go in game and hit assign key and hit num pad 1 with your thumb? Would you really go through the trouble of assigning keys in game and then go into your mouse profile and assign those keys to the thumb pad? Isn't that a bit redundant for most? 

Thats not saying many will not create macros and stick them on there, but I don't think thats something the majority would do considering the default setup and how well it in itself coincides with the setup of MMO hot bars.  

But yes, I agree it's mostly for marketing. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by remyburke
    I think I speak for most lefties when I say that I've been using a right-handed mouse since I started using a PC. As a lefty, there are just some things in this world you have to do right-handed. I'm ambidextrous because of a lifetime spent in a right-handed world.

I'm right handed, but I exclusively use my mouse with my left hand. I've been waiting for more leftie options for ages. Even contemplated a making a kickstarter for a left handed mouse product.