Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question of pace

BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

on another thread, the pace of fights in mmorps was brought up by Gishgeron, let me quote what he said :

Originally posted by Gishgeron

For MMO gaming, I like my PvP mostly slower paced.  I like for what I'm doing to matter more than my reaction speed.  I also like interactions on my terms more than I like PvP "battlegrounds" any day.  Random awesome PvP moment is always more fun to me, especially if it held meaning.  Like a guy that killed my while I was harvesting ore, and I come back to take revenge.  It also makes those moments where you save an enemy matter more too.  Its something I wish more MMO's would embrace.  Yes i can kill the other faction, but let me heal em too.  Let me forge those bonds in the field, or break them.  It makes the PvP a choice, and choice always feel better.

I agree 100%.

I mentionned something similar in other threads, but what he said is far better than what i tried to explain myself.

battle in DAoC had the perfect pace imo, Not too slow, not too fast. It gave the feeling of playing tabletop rpgs, as it stayed close to the genre, the pace gave you time to sink in, appreciate the ambiance and what was happening, something that even WAR did not render.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
Thurka on WAR

Comments

• KuldebarKuldebar Member UncommonPosts: 67

I think a goal in CU will be to have a variety of activities going on simultaneously unlike the typical battle grounds of  WoW or Rift, or even WvW in GW2.

The "raid size" activities will be Castle Sieges, and unlike other PvP games, these fortifications won't be getting flipped every 10-20 minutes, thank goodness!

But a whole slew of small to medium to large conflicts will be occurring on a near constant basis because each realm will have to consolidate its holdings by fortifying positions and securing resources while protecting the realm's production sites. And, while doing all that, will have to apply constant pressure on the enemy realms in order to keep the enemy from doing the same to them.

Striking a balance between defense and offense will be a major challenge.

Little skirmishes will happen constantly as the realms move to find their equilibrium. Decisions will have to be made of whether to use resources to build or repair new positions or destroy and pillage the materials from newly conquered holds. Over extending will cost a realm a lot if the enemy realms can outflank and attack the farflung holds.

Fortified positions ranging from small entrenched camps to Keeps, Towers and Castles as well as mines and bridges will be of tangible benefit to the realm that controls them.

The reason secure bases will be useful is quite simple: they will be the only places where you can be reasonably safe to craft and process resources in order to support the war machine for your realm.

Building siege weapons, resource processing, materials for repairing/constructing fortifications, building housing, making weapons and armor all require facilities in order to be possible -nearly all of which can be destroyed or captured by the enemy realms.

And, not everything will be centered on fighting over structures and resources, roving forces will collide in open battle as they move about their business. Small groups or solo players will spy on the enemy in order to set the ground work for assaults and major forays.

Attacking the enemy where they are most vulnerable will be the key, because fortifications will be a challenge to capture and even more bitterly lost. The material and time investments to upgrade and construct such holdings will buy a reasonable degree of security for players and guilds.

So, in short, I think there will be a lot going on, big and small scale.

Those who tread with ill intent
    Beneath our sacred firmament,
    Whether of Hammer or of Tree,
    Albion's might shall strike at thee!

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC
    battle in DAoC had the perfect pace imo, Not too slow, not too fast. It gave the feeling of playing tabletop rpgs, as it stayed close to the genre, the pace gave you time to sink in, appreciate the ambiance and what was happening, something that even WAR did not render.

I like DAOC's pacing as well especially in the early years. Later on it became a bit slower than I prefer with all the increased hit points from TOA gear and CLs and other changes that reduced damage.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

Daoc before TOA had a good pace to fights.

Actually i'd say the pace sped up because of ToA (% dmg and cast speed bonuses), and champion levels were a desperate attempt to slow it back down a little bit, but they failed to get back to the pace fights had pre toa. 

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Well personally I perfer a faster paced game but dislike lower TTKs. I think players should be making decisions frequently, maximizing their own efficiency, reacting to events, shifting positioning etc.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

I like DAOC's pacing as well especially in the early years. Later on it became a bit slower than I prefer with all the increased hit points from TOA gear and CLs and other changes that reduced damage.

Yeah every time i mention how good something was in DAoC, i'm always reffering to the pre-NF/ToA era, or if you prefer, "Classic" DAoC.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• NegativeXNegativeX Member Posts: 100

Classic DAoC Speed/Pace was a golden era for MMORPG combat.

Anything else I think will drive the majority of your ex-DAoC community away from CU.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage

https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/