Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft has peaked and is now slowly declining?

I played it back in 2006-2007 and it was a pretty nice game but the quests were so boring that I quit at level 48 iirc playing a human paladin... yeah they were weak back then.

Maybe if I had played a good class I would have stayed but this isn't really the question.

What was WoWs peak subscriber numbers?

Eleven million?

Twelve million?

What has it got now?

How do you feel about WoW?

How do you feel about that WoW has peaked?

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

It peaked during Wrath Of The Lich King, it has been declining since Cataclysm. I'm sure it reached 13 million and is now down around 9 million.

My thoughts on it are that I had a lot of fun when I played it but I have seen everything the game has to offer now and when I go back it feels instantly stale. I would buy whatever MMO Blizzard make next.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I think it peaked at 13 million.  I like WoW.  I played MOP a little bit, had my fun, and recently stopped playing again.

I say give it a shot if you are interested, WoW still has the largest mmorpg community and its still a quality game.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I just entered the World of Warcraft last week, and I'm really enjoying it so far. A lot of PVP going on, even in the low level zones. I'm on the EU side, Sylvanas is my server.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by TheHavok

I think it peaked at 13 million.  I like WoW.  I played MOP a little bit, had my fun, and recently stopped playing again.

I say give it a shot if you are interested, WoW still has the largest mmorpg community and its still a quality game.

I just don't know what the story in the game is about anymore. Does anyone?

And too many old instances that just have been abandoned by the game devs and I loved doing them. image

Originally posted by causs
    I just entered the World of Warcraft last week, and I'm really enjoying it so far. A lot of PVP going on, even in the low level zones. I'm on the EU side, Sylvanas is my server.

So you are brand new in WoW? Do you like it better than LoL?

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    LoL and WoW 2 different games. How are you trying to compare them?

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

Originally posted by DancingQueen

Not brand new, I played it short while way back in 2006. However, so many things have changed, you could say I'm 'new' to the game. Do I like it better than LoL? It's a whole different genre so I can't really comment on that. LoL can be amazing when you're playing with friends, just like WoW. 

Originally posted by Malvious
    LoL and WoW 2 different games. How are you trying to compare them?

I'm not.

I asked which one he thinks is better.

Not brand new, I played it short while way back in 2006. However, so many things have changed, you could say I'm 'new' to the game. Do I like it better than LoL? It's a whole different genre so I can't really comment on that. LoL can be amazing when you're playing with friends, just like WoW. 

Ok but if I say which one is the most fun?

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

World of Warcraft it was epic.

i waited 4 years for wow launch, and then played it as my first MMO for a solid 5 years, then i started to be ON and OFF play 2 months and quite 5.

2 months ago i went back to check MOP out and TBH, the game feels dead to me.

1. tones of boring questing, i wish they made a lot less qs but more interesting and fun to do.

2. instances which where the best part of wow for me are now drop dead easy.

3.Heroic mode is now a joke, i ran 5 instances in HC mode and didn't feel the need to even look at what's happening around me.

4. Rep grind is now so stupid that you need to get at least revered with 4 factions ( at least as there are more ), in order to buy the Valor gear, getting revered means 3000rep + 6000rep + 12000rep. which force you to do daily qs and each q gives 120rep. :)

5. Looking for raid which feels like it was pushed to take the HC mode place in the game, they were really boring tank and spank fights.

6. Raids are right  now the only fun part for me in wow, still the MOP raids are not impressive nor amazing, they are latterly been there done that.

so this is how i feel about wow, and am sure my ON and OFF phase will not last longer sadly....

Ok but if I say which one is the most fun?

Alright, if we're strictly talking about fun, I would say WoW right now. But I've spend quite some time in LoL so you'll have to ask me again in about a few months. 

So far, WoW is really laidback compared to LoL. LoL is very competitive. After a day of work or college, I prefer some laidback gaming. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That a game have reached it maximum subs and slowly are fading does not mean it isnt fun to play still.

I doubt Blizzard can do anything to regain the players by now because even with all the updates you can just update a game and keep the players interest for a certain time, but it will keep millions of players this year and next as well.

I would be surprised if Blizzard dont have a small team already working on Wow 2 though, that have the potential to beat 13.5 millions of subs. Right now is of course their focus on Titan but it might fail, with new MMOs it is always hard to tell but sequels to mastadonts usually sell good if not great and I just dont see a Wow 2 under 5 million players under any circomstance.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

And too many old instances that just have been abandoned by the game devs and I loved doing them. image

You're right, but the story doesn't even matter anymore. All that matters is chewing through levels. It's not something that is a WoW problem though, it's an industry problem. I think that WoW propagated the problem, but people look to power level every single game these days. 

It's funny, because I remember when Wrath was released, there were so many people who bitched and complained about how Bliz was just giving away level 60 characters (the Death Knight). Now they bitch and complain about how the rep grind is too long. 

I love WoW and I liked MoP, but I recently quit also (pre-Thunder King), so the content was obviously NOT engaging enough to keep me interested long enough to stick around for the eng game stuff.

I think that WoW makes me feel like a robot sometimes, or like it's a job. I don't like games like that anymore. I prefer engaging stories that I can play through an hour at a time and feel like I'm still progressing, regardless how fast or slow that may be. That'll get my monies.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

All of the level 1-60 stuff got revamped in cataclysm, it's all streamlined, all the old instances are still there and still work.

The only real problem you have starting now is that you won't get the full story as you level because you will level too fast. But to be honest if you want to get up to speed on that you would be as well reading about it at this stage rather than trying to play through the last 7 years of content.

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

You're right, but the story doesn't even matter anymore. All that matters is chewing through levels. It's not something that is a WoW problem though, it's an industry problem. I think that WoW propagated the problem, but people look to power level every single game these days. 

It's funny, because I remember when Wrath was released, there were so many people who bitched and complained about how Bliz was just giving away level 60 characters (the Death Knight). Now they bitch and complain about how the rep grind is too long. 

I love WoW and I liked MoP, but I recently quit also (pre-Thunder King), so the content was obviously NOT engaging enough to keep me interested long enough to stick around for the eng game stuff.

I think that WoW makes me feel like a robot sometimes, or like it's a job. I don't like games like that anymore. I prefer engaging stories that I can play through an hour at a time and feel like I'm still progressing, regardless how fast or slow that may be. That'll get my monies.

You are correct, everyone just wants wants wants now. I think the game is good solid fun from when you start playing to a couple of expansions in. That is the point you realise that every expansion is the same thing over and over and it feels like a job at that point.

Blizzard have catered to the players, I think they get a lot of unfair criticism for making the game easier when players have been doing it themselves for years, when WoW started it was standard questing with minimal waypoints so someone made QuestHelper to pin point every objective, millions used it, so blizzard made there own version.

Addons for raids are all over the place, it got to a point where for me if you are not heroic raiding you don't even need to know tactics, you just load up your boss mod and it honks at you when you have to do something or you do something wrong.

I'd encourage any new player give the game a go, if you can get beyond the barren starter zones and in to the actual game and meet some people it will be fantastic still. Old players fancy going back? Just leave it be and remember the fun times you had.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Same too many dailies for me and my family.

Im back to dark age of camelot even though its ran by EA sigh.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Eleven million?

Twelve million?

wow reached 11.5 million and stopped growing 5 years ago in 2008

http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/10/morhaime-confirms-the-unthinkable-wows-stopped-growing/

WOW briefly reached a new peak of 12 million when Cata released but lost 10% of their playerbase soon after

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/08/activision-blizzard-loses-1-1-million-wow-players-triples-profi/

regardless, WOW is a behemoth and seems to be holding steady at 9-10 million

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/04/mists-of-pandaria-pushes-warcraft-subs-over-10-million

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Nadia

Eleven million?

Twelve million?

http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/10/morhaime-confirms-the-unthinkable-wows-stopped-growing/

WOW briefly reached a new peak of 12 million when Cata released but lost 10% of their playerbase soon after

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/08/activision-blizzard-loses-1-1-million-wow-players-triples-profi/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/04/mists-of-pandaria-pushes-warcraft-subs-over-10-million

And for all the hoopla about the lost subs over the last two-three years, what game hasnt lost a large chunk of its playerbase the last few years?  Right now WoW probably has the steadiest population of any game on the market.

And its probably peaked, although if they add back talent trees or something similar in next expansion (and I think its likely that they come up with something, even if its path of the titans brought back) it could get back to those peak numbers.

Thanks for the info Nadia. image
  • ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by Nadia

Eleven million?

Twelve million?

wow....you can always count on Nadia to bring the facts!.... with links!...nice work

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I played it back in 2006-2007 and it was a pretty nice game but the quests were so boring that I quit at level 48 iirc playing a human paladin... yeah they were weak back then.

Maybe if I had played a good class I would have stayed but this isn't really the question.

Eleven million?

Twelve million?

What has it got now?

How do you feel about WoW?

How do you feel about that WoW has peaked?

At its peak, if I remember right it was north of 13 million.  Its now down to around nine and still declining.  Thats only to be expected, given how long the games been out, and the influence of Ghostcrawler... ^^

But just about every game company out there would be VERY happy to have even half of that.

Now? I went back for Panda land, and ran two of my nine 85's up to 90 (warrior and rogue).  I may eventually do that with my 85 hunter, but I'm in no hurry.  I started in late beta, and have had a lot of fun with all of the expansions, but I suspect I'm reaching my burn out point.

I was less than impressed with the new monk class. If I want a tank, I use my protect warrior. If I want dps, I use my rogue, arms warrior, DK or hunter.  I've never had any interest in healing, so thats a non starter.

As for the other, as has been true for years now, the only threat to WoW is Blizzard and/or Ghostcrawler... ^^  It will be with us for years and years I suspect. Slowly losing ground, but always keeping more than enough to be profitable.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I enjoy the story and lore in WoW.  There is actually a big overarching story in MoP.  It's not spelt directly out like in BC or vanilla.  You're not actually the main character of the story in MoP.  The main characters in MoP are Anduin, Garrosh, Vol'jin (when he returns to become warchief and reuinite the troll tribes under the horde banner! oops forgot, spoiler alert lol), and Taran Zhu.

It used to be your character was the epic hero that was the protaganist.  You made history, defending azeroth from the likes of the firelord Ragnaros and the evil dragonkin of Onyxia.  Then you were sent out to explore beyond the dark portal, where you found out that Illidan was planning on destroying everything.  Once again you put on your hero pants, and put him in his place...6 feet under.  Wrath of the Lich King is where it started to shift.  Although you were a main character, there were NPCs, who were also main characters, like Tirion.  He's the one that actually saved your butt and called upon arthas' father to ressurect your slain carcass to defeat his son.  Another NPC main character, Bolvar, then takes on the responsibility of holding the reins of the scourge.

In Cataclysm, you are just another hero in a long list of heroes.  The main story is all about Thrall and Aggra, and the dragonflights.  You were no longer the main hero in the story, instead you sorta play like Thrall's right hand man.  This shift is what alot of people didn't like about cataclysm, whether they know it or not.  You're no longer the main protaganist in the story of Warcraft.

All MMOs eventually hit a wall and start to slowly slide down it.  Some hit the wall sooner than others, but it took WoW a long time to get to it.  Some slide down that wall faster than others, but WoW is going down the wall very slowly.  It will still be a long time before it is "dead" but everything ends eventually.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    LMAO many gamers feel that the next big MMO will be the next WoW killer but to tell the truth WoW will be its own WoW killer and no other MMO will not kill WoW so to answer your question of course a 9 year old game will be on a decline.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I quit WoW sometime during Cata.  Have not desire to go back.

WoW is in decline, ableit, a slight decline.  This can be attributed to the simplification of the game (IMHO)

Besides, no matter how much polish Blizzard gives the game, a polished turd is still a turd.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    They will keep making WoW more and more casual to keep the numbers up. Real gamers will have moved on while WoW will be populated with 10 million toddlers and arthritic grannies.