Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identity Crisis

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    They are banking on TESO fans liking the DAOC formula (limited exploration and pvp focused)....good luck with that.
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

ok just a stupid question...

As a daoc player I do know what PvP is, RvR, etc... but... what's that AvA? O.o

Sorry for the dumb question and thanks in advance :)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Alliance vs alliance, just like GW2 changed RvR to WvW for world vs world. Call it FvF for faction vs faction its all the same thing!

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Alliance vs alliance, just like GW2 changed RvR to WvW for world vs world. Call it FvF for faction vs faction its all the same thing!

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    I'm still gonna call it RVR. LOL

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Tuktz
    I'm still gonna call it RVR. LOL

Me too.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by trash656

Look at all of you, 30 pages of arguing about if this game is a True TES game or not. Who cares, all that you people should be more concerned with, is if the game is if the game is an indepth, descent MMO.

How many absolutely shitty MMO's have we been playing in the last 13 years? At this point who cares, all that we need is a good indepth MMO like the old days.

Only reason I keep posting is because I am sick of MMOers two sided bashing. Every PvP MMO to come out in the past 10 years has all been compaired to DAoC and told off for not doing 3 faction RvR. We get that and we bash the devs. We ask for old school features to be brought back and when we get open world dungeons and old school 3 faction RvR, again we bash. We really are a hard bunch to please. As for indepth MMO like the old days... HERE HERE!!! I really hope ESO can bring that as I am sick of 3-6 month MMO stops because of shallow waters. Time devs spent as much time polishing the game and working on the elder game as they do just building the MMO.

You will find very few bashing the DAoC model. Most peple agree it is a good one.

You will find many bashing the 'shaft what we like about TES to incorporate the DAoC model'.

You are putting the cart before the horse every time you post on this.

Originally posted by Mardukk
    They are banking on TESO fans liking the DAOC formula (limited exploration and pvp focused)....good luck with that.

...yeah....

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can at least try to please a great many of the people your efforts are supposed to be aimed at...

Pointless debates that go absolutely nowhere. Look you can argue all day and night for the next 20 years about this, all that you people should be more concerned with, is if the game is an indepth, descent MMO.

How many absolutely shitty MMO's have you all been playing in the last 13 years? At this point who gives a f? Whats more inportant is if it is any good or not. We have not seen a good MMO in almost 14 years.

A pointless post talking about the pointlessness of other peoples posts...

... ironic...

You are right in your penultimate sentence however - it is important whether the game is any good or not.

What a great many people already know is good is TES's freedom to explore and DAoC's 3-way factional PvP .

That's what they are talking about, and why this thread isn't in fact pointless at all...

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by sapphen

I like this thread because it calls ESO out for what it is.  I don't care what the developers are trying to feed us, they never intended to make a TES MMO (originally tab targeting, no proper FPV,  no faction choice and limited exploration is not TES).  They wanted to make money by creating a generic MMO with DAoC RvR in a TES skin.

You know what else is not TES?

Multiplayer.

Originally posted by Caliburn101

Pointless debates that go absolutely nowhere. Look you can argue all day and night for the next 20 years about this, all that you people should be more concerned with, is if the game is an indepth, descent MMO.

How many absolutely shitty MMO's have you all been playing in the last 13 years? At this point who gives a f? Whats more inportant is if it is any good or not. We have not seen a good MMO in almost 14 years.

... ironic...

You are right in your penultimate sentence however - it is important whether the game is any good or not.

What a great many people already know is good is TES's freedom to explore and DAoC's 3-way factional PvP .

That's what they are talking about, and why this thread isn't in fact pointless at all...

It must take a lot out of you and others like you who like to hate on a game. You have no clue how indepth the exploring is in this game but if you cant go everywhere on one char its a fail. There is more to exploring in a MMO then going everywhere on one char. We know so little about the details your stand seems so silly to me. The mages story is about exploring, they have talked about making sure there are lots of ruins to explore, caves and 2 man open world dungeons. That seems to make the explorer in me happy and for all we know that could be the half of it. I dont get haters, if you dont like it go find a game you do and dont buy this one.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

I like this thread because it calls ESO out for what it is.  I don't care what the developers are trying to feed us, they never intended to make a TES MMO (originally tab targeting, no proper FPV,  no faction choice and limited exploration is not TES).  They wanted to make money by creating a generic MMO with DAoC RvR in a TES skin.

Multiplayer.

Just because it's going to be a MMO doesn't mean they have to forfeit important elements from the series.

... ironic...

It must take a lot out of you and others like you who like to hate on a game. You have no clue how indepth the exploring is in this game but if you cant go everywhere on one char its a fail. There is more to exploring in a MMO then going everywhere on one char. We know so little about the details your stand seems so silly to me. The mages story is about exploring, they have talked about making sure there are lots of ruins to explore, caves and 2 man open world dungeons. That seems to make the explorer in me happy and for all we know that could be the half of it. I dont get haters, if you dont like it go find a game you do and dont buy this one.

Thanks for being dismissive and not bothering to read the clear posts I have made on this in various threads before characterising my entire position.

But then doing so would 'probably take a lot out of you' yes?

Easier by far to mislable me a 'hater' and follow the well-worn road of those with nothing useful to say but who nevertheless have internet access and insist on using it.

So allow me to reiterate so you can understand without making said effort.

There is only one thing wrong with this game - and as much as you go on about other people not having a clue about how much exploration is in the game - even a village idiot can work out that there would be twice as much without a lockout. There is no point arguing against this point - it's basic maths.

My stand is on ONE thing - the issue that in putting in the well-respected and hopefully well-realised DAoC 3-way style PvP model they have gone for, they should not have seriously restricted (as THEY have already said they have...) the freedom to explore the entire gameworld.

The three biggest threads on this forum are about this very issue - and any poll or opinion gathering exercise clearly shows no more than a third of people happy with Zenimax's model 'as is'.

There are a great many TES fans who don't like being restricted - and a few vocal DAoC fans such as yourself (and please... don't bother to deny it - your very many lurid green posts make it perfectly clear where you stand) who think that that restriction was 'innevitable', or 'required' to make a 3-way game work.

What simplistic, unimaginative and limited thinking...

It may well be that things cannot change wholesale at this stage, but then Zenimax didn't bother to discuss it with the IP fans before this point did they? There are also some reasonable ideas for part-fixes which would allow full exploration whilst not interfering with the questing set up YOU have made a great many assumptions about previously.

You don't get haters? Then stop your passive aggressive posts - which by your own definition - are 'hating' by being exlusively and dissmissively 'pro' the current model.

That you don't agree with the TES fans who have a problem with it doesn't give you the imprative to moralise about 'haters' - a word too often used by the foolish to describe anyone who doesn't agree with them.

By all means keep banging the drum for what YOU want - but do yourself a favour and bin the casual derision of those who don't agree with you.

That way, maybe those people seriously debating the issues can take you seriously.

Multiplayer.

Just because it's going to be a MMO doesn't mean they have to forfeit important elements from the series.

Don't you just love this kind of 'logic'...

"Because this Elder Scrolls MMO has some elements TES has never had before as a single player game means you cannot argue it should have any of the things which have made it such a successful game in the past, even when such elements are already an established part of the MMO genre."

A roomful of monkeys might take a long time to write a Shakespeare play by randomly hitting typewriter keys, but they could shoot this kind of argument down in seconds...

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Elder Scrolls of Camelot is what this game be.  I want to play Elder Scrolls true to the games
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Multiplayer.

They don't have to include game mechanics from the single player series either. I know you have a point, they could make all of Tamriel explorable on one character, however they didn't.

I'm actually liking the decisions they are making thus far. Does that not make me a "True TES fan?", I don't care.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Elder Scrolls of Camelot is what this game be.  I want to play Elder Scrolls true to the games

Dark Age of Elder Scrolls, lol.

• Monstre0auSMonstre0auS Member Posts: 46

Reading this forum (Woah, seriously, 30+ pages now, this -IS- a passionate discussion) I can't help but read everyones' arguments and think of Tool's Hooker With A Penis, playing in the back of my mind. Especially this bit,

'All you know about me is what I've sold you,
    Dumb f**k.
    I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip s**t,
    And you bought one.'

Personally, when TESO is released (or if I am invited to beta) I'll log into the game not looking for a TES franchise, nor looking for a DAoC rehash (I never actually played DAoC) but looking for an mmo set to some of the lore of TES. That's all I'm asking for.

I had the same mentality when I first purchased Bethesda Softworks', Fallout 3... And after having played Urban Wasteland, through to Fallout Tactics, I can tell you how trepidatious I was with that, wondering if the lore of the previous games would ring true in this new interpretation. Turns out, New Vegas is one of my favourite Fallout titles.

The reality is, we're all buying media that is an interpretation. We may like some, we may hate others, but what we are getting is what an artist views a particular subject matter as made whole, whether it's a game mechanic or an animation or a class/character/territory restriction, this is an artists' interpretation of that subject matter.

If you don't like it, then don't like it, voice your concerns that you don't like it, but you cannot say, legitimately that it is wrong. Because it's not your interpretation, it's theirs, and if they say it's right, it right.

If you still insist that it is wrong, hipsters love quoting Oscar Wilde, do yourself a favour and live by this mantra, 'All art is quite useless'.

There is only one thing wrong with this game - and as much as you go on about other people not having a clue about how much exploration is in the game - even a village idiot can work out that there would be twice as much without a lockout. There is no point arguing against this point - it's basic maths.

the freedom to explore the entire gameworld.

The three biggest threads on this forum are about this very issue - and any poll or opinion gathering exercise clearly shows no more than a third of people happy with Zenimax's model 'as is'.

There are a great many TES fans who don't like being restricted - and a few vocal DAoC fans such as yourself (and please... don't bother to deny it - your very many lurid green posts make it perfectly clear where you stand) who think that that restriction was 'innevitable', or 'required' to make a 3-way game work.

What simplistic, unimaginative and limited thinking...

It may well be that things cannot change wholesale at this stage, but then Zenimax didn't bother to discuss it with the IP fans before this point did they? There are also some reasonable ideas for part-fixes which would allow full exploration whilst not interfering with the questing set up YOU have made a great many assumptions about previously.

maybe those people seriously debating the issues can take you seriously.

Quantity does not equal quality. You want a buffet and I want fine dining. The care that’s been taken to give my faction an area to play without open world PvP, so real TES like me (played them many times) have a place to PvE without being bothered. No one trying to trick me to flag. So story and quests drive my factions story. So my immersion is not broken as a Darkelf tries to dance with me as I am killing his kind (NPCs) in some quest. Your idea of deep is shallow and watered down.

No one is stopping you, but stop thinking you can flip a switch and just go everywhere. Play the game as the devs intended and see each area as the faction it was designed for.

And the polls are made by people uphappy and are bias. The polls are on mmorpg.com that are full of people with all different ideas on what makes a good MMO. The polls dont cover TES fans who dont play MMOs like my good friend in RL who would never come to mmorpg.com and hear him say, "I dont want to PvP as I explore!" The polls are at best to be taken with a grain of salt. 

You assume much. I am as much a DAoC fan as I am a TES fan. My fav single player RPG of all times is TES games. I have played them to death and many times. Going back to the days when TES was 8 bit tech. My fav MMO model is DAoC and I have been waiting forever for a MMO to bring us a updated model of that game as they failed to with Warhammer and broke all the rules that made DAoC awesome. This really is my dream MMO and I hope they stick as close to the 3 faction model as they can.

Try harder, your lack of vision of what you are asking for shows lack of understanding of what ESO is becoming and if 1/3 of what you are all asking for happens, it would derail this game in ways that would make it fail. Been MMOing for almost 15 years and I have seen every major MMO launch and I am to the point I think MMOs are a magic mixture and the greats stumbled on greatness. EQ, DAoC, WoW and EVE to name a few. Recreating is not imaginative, its messing with greatness and at best a gambleSure add new features but keep the core game that worked alive.

What assumptions? You mean me talking about the faction map being designed for the faction that plays on it? You think they are going on about VO story for kill 10 rat quests? lol Everything about this game and lore of this time is about the war and why each faction has the right to rule. Why would the quests and VO stories focus be different? Sure I bet there is other types of quests and side stories, TES was always good at that. But the majority of whats there will be in a direction, that wont make sense for another faction to just go PvE there. If you dont see that you lack perception. 

My stand is simple, I agree with the direction of ESO. I will not stand by as haters go on and on and make a poop storm that has any chance to break this game. Come up with a good idea I would be glad to say so but at this point there has been none.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    WTF was that multicoloured eyesore!
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    fairy speach from fairy land; dunno didn't read it...taste the rainbow

My stand is simple, I agree with the direction of ESO. I will not stand by as haters go on and on and make a poop storm that has any chance to break this game. Come up with a good idea I would be glad to say so but at this point there has been none.

I agree, your stand IS simple;

Simple in understanding. Simple in execution. Simple in reasoning.

As simple as thinking that any change to what YOU want will 'break' the game.

Yes - I would characterise your point of view as 'simple'.

Quite so...

... and perhaps in future you could refrain from giving everyone a multicoloured dayglow headache with your 'classy' posts.

It draws attention to be sure - which is presumably what you want them to do - but it does smack of style over substance...

... in a BIG way...

Originally posted by Monstre0auS

Reading this forum (Woah, seriously, 30+ pages now, this -IS- a passionate discussion) I can't help but read everyones' arguments and think of Tool's Hooker With A Penis, playing in the back of my mind. Especially this bit,

'All you know about me is what I've sold you,
    Dumb f**k.
    I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip s**t,
    And you bought one.'

Personally, when TESO is released (or if I am invited to beta) I'll log into the game not looking for a TES franchise, nor looking for a DAoC rehash (I never actually played DAoC) but looking for an mmo set to some of the lore of TES. That's all I'm asking for.

I had the same mentality when I first purchased Bethesda Softworks', Fallout 3... And after having played Urban Wasteland, through to Fallout Tactics, I can tell you how trepidatious I was with that, wondering if the lore of the previous games would ring true in this new interpretation. Turns out, New Vegas is one of my favourite Fallout titles.

The reality is, we're all buying media that is an interpretation. We may like some, we may hate others, but what we are getting is what an artist views a particular subject matter as made whole, whether it's a game mechanic or an animation or a class/character/territory restriction, this is an artists' interpretation of that subject matter.

If you don't like it, then don't like it, voice your concerns that you don't like it, but you cannot say, legitimately that it is wrong. Because it's not your interpretation, it's theirs, and if they say it's right, it right.

If you still insist that it is wrong, hipsters love quoting Oscar Wilde, do yourself a favour and live by this mantra, 'All art is quite useless'.

What a enlightened idea, play the game as the devs designed and interpreted, like it play it, or dont and walk away. 

I agree, your stand IS simple;

Simple in understanding. Simple in execution. Simple in reasoning.

As simple as thinking that any change to what YOU want will 'break' the game.

Yes - I would characterise your point of view as 'simple'.

Quite so...

... and perhaps in future you could refrain from giving everyone a multicoloured dayglow headache with your 'classy' posts.

It draws attention to be sure - which is presumably what you want them to do - but it does smack of style over substance...

... in a BIG way...

If you dont get each color was in response to what I highlighted in your reply there is no hope for you. If my support of the game shows how simple minded I am, then so must all the devs making ESO. I can live with that, what do you do for a living? They do more creative projects in a day then most do in a month. 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Do you not see they have 3 sets of fans to deal with...

1. MMO fans who will want one of the winning models we have come to know and love over the past 15 years and games with PvP in them tend to make more money and the fact its a TES games is not what decides if they will play this game.

2. TES fans who like to explore and do so without getting attcked by players because thats not in their game they play now.

3. MMO fans who are TES fans as well, who will nit pick this game to death to try and make it fit their vision.

So what MMO model that will make them the most money and let the people from box 2 still live in the same pool as everyone else and not hate eachother? Because no MMO that wants to make it, plans on making money just from current MMO fans, they hope to make new MMO fans. 4 Maps, 1 for PvP, 1 for each faction is one that can make group 1 and 2 very happy. Group 3 will never be happy, so why try? There is always going to be people from group 3 upset no matter what way ya do it.

As suggested in this thread having one open world with PvP everywhere, one open world where you can chose to flag PvP (lots of jurks know how to force you to flag so they can kill you, just stand next to you killing NPCs and one AE spell and you get to kill them, one of many ways to do that) all this would make most players from pool 2 not happy as a new fan and that would make this game a fail. IMO ESO did the right model for the game. We from pool 3 here on this forum are only one third of the target but we think we should be 80% of what decides what goes where. Look at the poll we win!!!!! LOL Noooo sorry. 

I think they hit the nail on the head for this game with what model they picked and its one on many a MMO forum we PvP fans have been asking for, over and over again. Every new 2 faction game that comes out, lots of us keep saying... "Needs a 3rd faction. Pls look back to DAoC they did it right!!!" I think this will pull lots of people from pool 1 as well.

If they try and follow the 3rd pool, we will have a new game every week!!!! 

4. DAoC fans who will take things out of context to try and defend their little nugget of happiness.

5. Suckers who blindly flock to the next big MMO and throw money at it until they've filled the hole in their meaningless lives.

Seriously, some of you're descriptions sound about as retarded as 4 & 5.  TES fans do not want the game designed to our vision but we want ESO to be in TES' vision.  I am only speaking my mind about what defines TES for me.

What does this have to do with my right to make a judgement on ESO with the information we have so far?

Long way of saying, your and my input mean very little. ESO devs have spent a lot of time working out what model will get them the most money and make the game that will net them the most fans.

No, they did not.

Picking the DaoC model is not going to net you the most money or fans. DaoC was the 4th most popular MMO of its time behind EQ1, UO and SWG.

UO and SWG had OPEN WORLDS, EQ1 had OPEN FACTIONS. DaoC was so UNPOPULAR with its PvP that how many games copied its closed factions area build? Well? HOW MANY? Where are the millions of players that long for segregation? There arent.

Yeah...they chose to make TESO this way because they DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT ANY OTHER WAY...not even Raph Koster and his BS ideas were so limited that he made every MMO he worked on the SAME WAY. Just what we need, another MMO made by people that cant come up with new ideas right...

The model that is going to net you the most money and fans is to make the game as close to the IP as possible with an MMO...open world, open factions and the ability to PvP anywhere...no, NO I DID NOT SAY FFA PVP. A war is only a war if it can be on your front doorstep, not in some magical neverland behind an invisible wall.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson