Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Review -

ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

Graphics/UI - 6/10 

The graphics is no where near amazing it just feels liek typical PWI graphics nothing too fancy and special. The UI settings is a little annoying at times because the Hotbars are not really customization as of right now. Or at least I can't seem to expand it or move it to the side. 

Classes - 6/10

As of right now I feel like the difference in going down one tree vs another is very minimal I have two control mage at lvl 30 and with completely different paths but their dps/rotation and skill damage is almost identical. It doesn't feel like there is any reason to pick a particular path over another but for PvP for sure the hp related path becasue like I mentioned same amount of dmg but more hp! As for rogue, cleric, great weapon fighter, and guardian fighter I can't say much for but my friend says it is the same for Guardian Fighters. 

I wish the paths actually matter more in the game like in DDO when you pick certain paths the way you play your character is completely different. Even WoW, Shadow Priest vs Holy priest vs Disc Priest.(bring in more variety and a reason to be not generic)

Community - 8/10

So far the people I have met are really nice and willing to help out when people are stuck. Haven't joined a guild but the Foundary playerbased dungeons is probably one of the best and interesting thing to play with. For the Foundary i don't know if the 199$ founder have more access to things they can do in Foundary but when I tried to make it I felt very limited. Finding a dungeon is not hard in this game becasue of the instant queue finder.

Gameplay - 8/10

Beside the minor bugs(beta) the overall gameplay is a very fun experience for friends that want to get together and just relax and play DnD and dungeon crawl and do not want to spend all the time setting up and making characters this is a easier choice than DDO. The only downside like I mentioned above is the lack of variety of classes. The game is very linear in the main story quest line like some people mentioned but to me that isn't that important becasue the story is what the community makes it to be in the future. Also, you are allowed to have a minion like in DDO and they don't count as a party member. +++ 

Cash Shop - 1/10

This is probably the only reason I wil not pla this game. Let's just start from the founder's package before we go into the ingame cash shops. 

They are saying the value you are getting is going to be worth 549$ in the future so let's count the things you get.

1 race, 1 mount, 1 pet, 1 costume set, 12 extra inventory slot, foundary unlocked, founder's armor aura, guarantee rare lvl 60 weapon, moonstone access, adventurer's help pack, 1 respec token, mastercrafted item, 750k astral diamonds, vip beta access.  14 things benefits

divide that by 549 you get around 40$ per thing above. Now obviously not everything is the same price but are you kidding me, any item in the cash shop that is 40$ is ridiclous same reason why I quit Perfect World got sick of 50-60$ mounts. 

Astral Diamonds - maybe someone can enlighten me but as of right now I believe the only way to "earn these are through praying". Earn I don't mean buy with gold or zen. For the people that haven't played the game Astral Diamonds is going to be the Auction House Currency. So the gold you have in game crap if you want to buy loots on the AH. 

I don't know what the game is going to be like down the road. but I believe there cash shop is way messed up in the sense that this game is similar as hell to DDO. This one is just easier and more casual friendly than DDO. The cashshop in DDO completely reasonable but because of it I probably spent 100$+ on it but in Neverwinter it is like you buy a mount and you are broke... 

Overall Rating 

5/10 -

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by ozerinx

As of right now I feel like the difference in going down one tree vs another is very minimal I have two control mage at lvl 30 and with completely different paths but their dps/rotation and skill damage is almost identical. It doesn't feel like there is any reason to pick a particular path over another but for PvP for sure the hp related path becasue like I mentioned same amount of dmg but more hp! As for rogue, cleric, great weapon fighter, and guardian fighter I can't say much for but my friend says it is the same for Guardian Fighters. 

I wish the paths actually matter more in the game like in DDO when you pick certain paths the way you play your character is completely different. Even WoW, Shadow Priest vs Holy priest vs Disc Priest.(bring in more variety and a reason to be not generic)

At level 30 you would have barely made it into the start of the paths that actually matter (the 3 on the end).

The first part isnt even a path really, you just have to put 5 points anywhere to move to the next tier, and you can go back and put points in any earlier tier. The customisation comes from the paragon paths which result in very different playstyles.

Did you think that you needed to stay in a line on the first part? Hahaha.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

...foundary unlocked

I thought they were quoted as saying that the foundry would be fully available to anyone and not cash shop dependent.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

...foundary unlocked

I thought they were quoted as saying that the foundry would be fully available to anyone and not cash shop dependent.

It is. You just have to reach level 15 or something to make foundry dungeons. People who pay the 200 dollars can make it without reaching level 15 lol.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Cmon! Nobody is so evil, not even EA

Cash Shop - 1/10

This is probably the only reason I wil not pla this game. Let's just start from the founder's package before we go into the ingame cash shops. 

They are saying the value you are getting is going to be worth 549$ in the future so let's count the things you get.

1 race, 1 mount, 1 pet, 1 costume set, 12 extra inventory slot, foundary unlocked, founder's armor aura, guarantee rare lvl 60 weapon, moonstone access, adventurer's help pack, 1 respec token, mastercrafted item, 750k astral diamonds, vip beta access.  14 things benefits

divide that by 549 you get around 40$ per thing above. Now obviously not everything is the same price but are you kidding me, any item in the cash shop that is 40$ is ridiclous same reason why I quit Perfect World got sick of 50-60$ mounts. 

Astral Diamonds - maybe someone can enlighten me but as of right now I believe the only way to "earn these are through praying". Earn I don't mean buy with gold or zen. For the people that haven't played the game Astral Diamonds is going to be the Auction House Currency. So the gold you have in game crap if you want to buy loots on the AH. 

I don't know what the game is going to be like down the road. but I believe there cash shop is way messed up in the sense that this game is similar as hell to DDO. This one is just easier and more casual friendly than DDO. The cashshop in DDO completely reasonable but because of it I probably spent 100$+ on it but in Neverwinter it is like you buy a mount and you are broke... 

Also, instead of making up imaginary numbers, you do realise that the cash shop was actually availabile in game over the weekend to look at?

The prices are fairly standard fare, with pretty much nothing that was P2W.

Astral diamonds are gained by doing events in game too btw. How far did you even get to? Level 5?

Originally posted by evilastro

...foundary unlocked

It is. You just have to reach level 15 or something to make foundry dungeons. People who pay the 200 dollars can make it without reaching level 15 lol.

Ah okay. Good to know. Thanks.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

I will give:-

Graphics/UI - 8/10

Graphics are good but default settings are not. They need to spend more time finding the recommended settings. At highest settings the game is amazing - but again low level areas are not that good looking. Only at Helm's Hold do you realize the game is beautiful.

UI again is very raw and needs more polish. But it is highly innovative

Character Customization - 5/10

Not enough classes. 7 races are enough (as for any D&D game at launch).

Absence of multiclassing, bard, druid, any primal class, any psionic class - rankles a lot. Psionics are less, but primals are not - they are just next door to Neverwinter, the Vellosk.

Gameplay - 8/10

The gameplay is fun but needs serious balancing. Control wizard was weak, cleric was too strong. Then suddenly Wizard became fun near level 40 - but was still weak.

I would say great potential, but it was obviously a REAL beta.

Social/Roleplay - 7/10

Roleplaying capabilities had a good start. Walk is there, just under the hood (/bind <key> ++walk) but not visible in UI. There kind of small overlook on their part is there but they have given a lot of attention to RP elements. Though not a dedicated shard for RP was an off to me - tough in game I didn't really feel need for it that much. Social was good. Making a channel and talking to others by using a custom made channel was way easy! Making guilds was a turn off - 5 lvl 15 players in a group can make one. But otherwise, a good start.

Cash Shop - 1/10

I have to agree with all the comments on cash shop above. Astral DIamons are obtainable by doing most damage in end level dungeon, participating in contests with others etc. So they are more of a competition based reward. It is good, but you can not have common items like ID scrolls only available from Astral Diamonds and call it fair for a f2p game. Basic things like that should be available from drops. ID scrolls felt a lot like lockboxes - though not that bad.

Originally posted by gillrmn

IBasic things like that should be available from drops. ID scrolls felt a lot like lockboxes - though not that bad.

I thought ID scrolls were available as drops and could be also purchased in game with gold. Is this not the case?

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Astral diamonds are not an issue at all, if you actually played the game you would realize the Auction/broker uses Astrtal diamonds as the main currency.  When I played there were plenty of good drops from solo dungeons, open world areas that selling my gained equipment I was able to acquire thousands of Astral diamonds.  

There is a lot I disagree with you statement such as the paths, i'm guessing you never made it to level 30 either which is where the actual pathing starts.  If you thought the pathing started at level 10 then you're dead wrong, the paths at 30 are unique enough to cater to different players.  So please do us all a favor and do your research the next time you feel the need to spread false information.  

Sorry, I meant shop, but I typed drop.

They removed the ID scroll from shops (they are no longer available for gold, you have to buy them with Astral Diamonds - and they are very expensive).

You get them from drop but drop rate is very low.

They removed the ID scroll from shops (they are no longer available for gold, you have to buy them with Astral Diamonds - and they are very expensive).

Really?

Well...gonna have to agree that is rather lame. Don't really see an issue with the other cash shop items remarked on but that one does seem prett weak sauce.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

uhm... I got to lvl 30 is when I stopped on both control mage. And I did not have a shit ton of astral diamonds.. I barely had over 20k astral diamonds.. If it is so easy to get 750k please let me know what you guys were running over n over to get astral diamonds and then what items that dropped you were selling to get so much astral diamonds. Most drops were just the useless gold currency. 

also, it isn't making up numbers it is Neverwinter making up "valued at 549$" because when I looked at the shop none of the items were that expensive. Which is what lead me to think this is not going to be the official pricing. 

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I found Neverwinter to be a fun distraction for Tera/GW2 fans but an abomination for the Neverwinter/D&D fans.

Really?

Well...gonna have to agree that is rather lame. Don't really see an issue with the other cash shop items remarked on but that one does seem prett weak sauce.

Good thing is devs admit that the drop was much low than they expected and will raise the drop rate based on this beta data.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Really?

Good thing is devs admit that the drop was much low than they expected and will raise the drop rate based on this beta data.

They only said their numbers where off, tbh at this point i only expect them to just lower the droprates of items too  and leave id scrolls as they are....

• CatbertCatbert Member UncommonPosts: 28
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

This is incorrect.

I played to level 12 on Sunday.  They gave me 10 identify scrolls.  I am not sure if this is for all characters, or just a beta thing.

I identified all the drops I needed to (potential upgrades) and ended up with 14 scrolls.  The same thing happened last beta weekend (played to level 30).

If you're a fool, and identify everything that you pick up, you'll need to buy the scrolls.  If you think about it, you'll be fine.

Originally posted by grimfall

This is incorrect.

I played to level 12 on Sunday.  They gave me 10 identify scrolls.  I am not sure if this is for all characters, or just a beta thing.

I identified all the drops I needed to (potential upgrades) and ended up with 14 scrolls.  The same thing happened last beta weekend (played to level 30).

If you're a fool, and identify everything that you pick up, you'll need to buy the scrolls.  If you think about it, you'll be fine.

Lvl 12 is like lvl 2 in PnP. Its a starter level. It becomes more of an issue when you don't level after every single quest - somewhere near lvl 18 or so.

Also I am not alone, large number of players were having this issue - check the forums. There are at least three or four big threads about it.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

This is incorrect.

Always a red flag for me when comments like the one highlighted pop up. You went to level 30 in a weekend? is this x4 beta exp gain, or normal stuff? Do not want to play another 'couple months' game

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Cash Shop - 1/10

I have to agree with all the comments on cash shop above. Astral DIamons are obtainable by doing most damage in end level dungeon, participating in contests with others etc. So they are more of a competition based reward. It is good, but you can not have common items like ID scrolls only available from Astral Diamonds and call it fair for a f2p game. Basic things like that should be available from drops. ID scrolls felt a lot like lockboxes - though not that bad.

Seriously, did you guys even play the game? ID scrolls ARE drops. The AD is just a sure fire way to get them.  And there are many ways to get ADs, from the skirmishes / competitions, to zone events and dungeons. You also get a MUCH higher amount of them at higher levels.

uhm... I got to lvl 30 is when I stopped on both control mage. And I did not have a shit ton of astral diamonds.. I barely had over 20k astral diamonds.. If it is so easy to get 750k please let me know what you guys were running over n over to get astral diamonds and then what items that dropped you were selling to get so much astral diamonds. Most drops were just the useless gold currency. 

also, it isn't making up numbers it is Neverwinter making up "valued at 549$" because when I looked at the shop none of the items were that expensive. Which is what lead me to think this is not going to be the official pricing. 

You get a lot more for higher level skirmishes / dungeons / events.

Originally posted by Toxia

This is incorrect.

Always a red flag for me when comments like the one highlighted pop up. You went to level 30 in a weekend? is this x4 beta exp gain, or normal stuff? Do not want to play another 'couple months' game

Beta XP is higher than launch, but 1-30 will still be relatively fast. XP slows down at higher levels.

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Ok, so I'm seeing a lot about the cash shop here in this thread.  This is my take on it.

A lot of the things in the cash shop are very high in price.  You buy, for real money, 100 zen for $1 U.S. Dollar according to their website, lowest you can get is 500 zen for 5 dollar etc. all the way up to 5000 zen for 50 dollars blah blah.

So that makes the mounts which are 4000 zen basically cost 40 dollars, and pets/companions being anywhere from 1500 to 2500 being 15 - 25 dollars respectively.  This is expensive, yes, however, you have to realize that through astral diamonds, you can convert them into zen.  You do this through other players in the game.  The average price of 1 zen is roughly 200 astral diamonds.  So the 750,000 astral diamonds you get from the hero of the north pack translates into about 40 dollars, so you are basically paying for cash shop zen with this pack, just in the form of astral diamonds.

Like I said, even the totally free to play player can get any cash shop item they want without paying a dime because just by earning astral diamonds in game through questing, auctions, getting tips from the foundry etc. can all be converted into zen to spend on said items.  I can agree that they should make the prices relatively high or it wouldn't take much effort to eventually buy everything for free essentially.  Gotta make money somehow in order for them to pay for the game and servers etc.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

wait wait wait dude during beta 2 I never dropped below 35 scrolls EVER. if anything you guys need to stop identifying items that do NOT pertain to your class. Identifying them does NOT make their value go any higher. I do not see how anybody was not getting enough scrolls. Plus your lock boxes give you 10 everytime you open them. I mean come on my guild bank has over 180 scrolls in it and only me and my buddy were depositing them (ie. only we had permission to withdraw and deposit)

and no we did not buy any with Astral Diamonds either. well he dosent have any and I spent mine on a horse lol

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by Toxia

Sorry, I meant shop, but I typed drop.   They removed the ID scroll from shops (they are no longer available for gold, you have to buy them with Astral Diamonds - and they are very expensive).   You get them from drop but drop rate is very low.
    This is incorrect. I played to level 12 on Sunday.  They gave me 10 identify scrolls.  I am not sure if this is for all characters, or just a beta thing.   I identified all the drops I needed to (potential upgrades) and ended up with 14 scrolls.  The same thing happened last beta weekend (played to level 30). If you're a fool, and identify everything that you pick up, you'll need to buy the scrolls.  If you think about it, you'll be fine.
    Beta XP is higher than launch, but 1-30 will still be relatively fast. XP slows down at higher levels.
    Don't forget that most people (like myself) did play for at least 15 hours a day!