Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How in depth will characters be in Neverwinter?

BriskkBriskk Member Posts: 4

I played the this last weekends beta for a decent amount - and i was just wondering where the skill depth will come from. You got your choice of your abilities on your main bar, the pet, and those "talent trees" that seem to just improve core abilities. Since the game is being released with 5 classes, i was hoping the depth of each class would be ...well pretty deep.

I guess i will get right to it, how much customization can be put into a character class in neverwinter? Is there socketed gear? Locked in talent trees? (no respec, or respec being hard to achieve) Enchantments on gear? Do different weapon types do different damage vs certain armor classes?

Was just kinda curious, i haven't researched a ton yet - which is why i come to you guys. I love games with variation in terms of class design. From what i looked at with the talent trees - it seemed boring...hopefully that is not the case.

Cheers

Comments

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

It's pretty much a action orientated D&D experience, so there won't be tons of skills per class primarily spammable attacks, feats (which can be respec'd), and gear which can be enchanted/crafted (however each class is pretty much locked into types of weapons).

Weapon types don't offer better damages against armor types, however some weapons gain armor penetration, which would be helpful I assume against heavily armored foes.

The game focus is more on the fun of play, puzzles, traps, story, moreso than the mechanics of old school d&d...not so much number crunching, min/maxing ( which can be fun in their own way ).

It does take somewhat away from the roleplay aspect as well since there isn't a ton of customization involving feats ( at least with this beta ), but from what i discerned from the Guardian Fighter you could branch into 3 different paragon subsets which offer more expansive skills selection.

The game is fun, still early, but mostly has upside from my point of view.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    You're better off thinking of classes as Champions from League of Legends.
  • BoreasBoreas Member Posts: 24

Character customization seems to be one of the weaker aspects of the game. Many of the feats seem to give fairly small bonuses and the relatively high respec cost will discourage experimentation. Each class has a fixed set of powers and only a few of those can be on the hotbar at a time.

Companions add a little variety. You can have several different types and summon the one you want based on the circumstances. In dungeon groups (5 players) each player had a companion. I did not see raid groups (assuming they exist) so I can't say whether companions can be summoned there.

Around level 15 or so, you start finding gear with sockets. The items you socket into the gear can be upgraded by combining four of the same type. There is a chance of failure and of course you can pay for an item that eliminates that chance. You also have to pay to remove the item from the socket if you want to put it into something else. As a result, I suspect socketing will mostly just be something you do at max level.

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93
    You should visit the class build forums at the official site, now that all the whiners are done complaining about how it's not the sytem they're used to people are actually posting interesting builds. Rogue tanks, minimum wisdom smiting clerics, agile guardian fighters. 
  • xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Its not the traditional class and how you build them feel of Dungeons and Dragons its more like WoW or any of a myriad of other MMO's.

Once classes started being named things like "Control Wizard" it became pretty clear the idea of the game being Dungeons&Dragon fell apart..is an MMO set in Dungeons&Dragons ..it is not Dungeons and Drgaons v1 2 3 4 5 or whatever it is today,...

Doesn't make it a bad game..its simply not what it appears to be.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

At present I feel charatcers have no depth really and everyone will be pretty much the same as the next guy. The customization pretty much blows chunks for DnD game.

On the other hand if you want a standard MMO game with the standard cookie cutter builds and lack of choices but with  FR background you will like it.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49

Character customization wont be a selling point for sure. It lacks depth. Same for the dungeons. But I will stick around for the foundry. Hope players can create some awesome dungeons.

If the foundry fails to deliver then the game is not worth it. Pity though, I kinda like the mainquest/lore/battle.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

At present I feel charatcers have no depth really and everyone will be pretty much the same as the next guy. The customization pretty much blows chunks for DnD game.

On the other hand if you want a standard MMO game with the standard cookie cutter builds and lack of choices but with  FR background you will like it.

"At present I feel characters have some but not a lot of depth and everyone will pretty much the same as the next guy when starting out.  The customization is pretty much watered down for DnD game, but still present, essentially making this "DnD lite".

On the other hand if you want a better-than-average-but-not-WoW-level-phenominal MMO game with better than average builds and above average choices you will like it."

There, fixed it for you.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Hiron

Character customization wont be a selling point for sure. It lacks depth. Same for the dungeons. But I will stick around for the foundry. Hope players can create some awesome dungeons.

If the foundry fails to deliver then the game is not worth it. Pity though, I kinda like the mainquest/lore/battle.

Someone apparently already did with "The Dweomerkeepers, Act 1"

Say what you will about character customization, voice acting, graphics, etc, as some people will love them and some will hate them.  The foundry is going to attract just about every dungeonmaster, and given how we have gotten some truly amazing foundry missions in STO, we are going to get some truly amazing foundry quests in NW (of course, some will suck, but not everyone is great at making this kind of stuff).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

There should be a requeriment to have a level 20+ character in NWO Beta to be able to post here at all.

The missinformation and missleading comments are mind blowing. If you don't know what you're talking about you should refrain from ridiculising yourself, really.

When you learn about Paragon paths and their exclusive skills for each path, region and deity customization on character creation, talent trees, pet customization, socketed gear customization etc etc then you're allowed to speak about character depth.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

There should be a requeriment to have a level 20+ character in NWO Beta to be able to post here at all.

The missinformation and missleading comments are mind blowing. If you don't know what you're talking about you should refrain from ridiculising yourself, really.

When you learn about Paragon paths and their exclusive skills for each path, region and deity customization on character creation, talent trees, pet customization, socketed gear customization etc etc then you're allowed to speak about character depth.

Pretty much agree.

Here is the link to NWO forums, where lvl40 cleric skills&feats are explained.

Level-40-Cleric-Feedback

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49

Dweomerkeeper was ok but nothing special. We will see in a few month wether truly awesome dungeons will be created.

I was 25 when beta ended. Even with the paragon/feats the customization isnt on par with other games. Take a look at FF11, DDO and even NWN 1/2. So no there is not enough depth. Heck even basics like selecting what weapon I want to use is out of the question.

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93

Couldn't have said it better myself. Most the complaints about character customization can be summed up as followed - "TL; DR, it's not a system I'm familiar with, I'm too lazy to learn a new one, so I'm going to bitch about it." 

Now that most the people foolishly complaining about how there is no character customization are done with their rambling some interesting builds are starting to pop up on the forums. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I wish you could start in one of the numerous places you pick durring character creation, and follow a story line that leads you to Neverwinter instead of just starting in Neverwinter like everyone else.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

If a game can't keep people interested past level 5, it certainly won't hold them till level 20+

I only played a little, but was offered no choices and found the gameplay very boring, I can't imagine the game doing well if it doesn't start putting a little more choice into players hands at the start.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by adam_nox

If a game can't keep people interested past level 5, it certainly won't hold them till level 20+ I only played a little, but was offered no choices and found the gameplay very boring, I can't imagine the game doing well if it doesn't start putting a little more choice into players hands at the start.

Agreed. I got to lvl7 and was aleady tired of it. 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    The ability to customize the character's look was really pathetic, especially given Cryptic's usually strong character creator.  The powers, etc looked pretty constrained, but even at level 20, I noticed other rogues using completely different skill sets.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

I respectfully disagree with most here.

There is a lot of customization. however that customization is not at the begining but during the progress of character.

However one thing to note is that the character customization is MMOish in nature and not D&Dish in nature. But then again it is an MMO telling D&D story and not a D&D gameplay based game.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by ranncore

Couldn't have said it better myself. Most the complaints about character customization can be summed up as followed - "TL; DR, it's not a system I'm familiar with, I'm too lazy to learn a new one, so I'm going to bitch about it." 

Now that most the people foolishly complaining about how there is no character customization are done with their rambling some interesting builds are starting to pop up on the forums. 

TL;DR, it's more of it was suppose to be a game based on DnD not a game based on other MMOs, so it is foolish not to expect peeps to complain and bitch.

Character customization in this game is an "illusion" ;)

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Originally posted by xxtriadxx

Its not the traditional class and how you build them feel of Dungeons and Dragons its more like WoW or any of a myriad of other MMO's.

Once classes started being named things like "Control Wizard" it became pretty clear the idea of the game being Dungeons&Dragon fell apart..is an MMO set in Dungeons&Dragons ..it is not Dungeons and Drgaons v1 2 3 4 5 or whatever it is today,...

Doesn't make it a bad game..its simply not what it appears to be.

I'm surprised and dissapointed with this aspect of the classes as well. Why is the class a "Control Wizard", when it should be "Wizard" with a 'Control' spec possibility? It doesn't make sense to dilute a single aspect of a class into its own class. If they were going to do that, they should have dropped the D&D class naming convention entirely and just called this the "Archmage" which would mean whatever the heck they wanted it to without sounding like an overly limited Wizard.

Now they have a "Great Weapon Fighter" coming out. I am assuming that it uses large weapons, but that doesn't seem to be what a "class" should be based on....