Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beggars: do you help such guys or what you doing? (poll)

Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Hi all,

sometime in some games, most with low reward rate like runescape (worst of all), and some others, I see beggars chat: *FREE ST00F plox* and such.

from my part I never give anything for several reasons, but I saw people giving items and cash to them.

what do you think about and do you give anything to random beggars?

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Rewarding people for begging encourages them to beg more.  That's the opposite of what we want, isn't it?
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Well they usually earn a spot on my ignore list, does that count?
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I help them.

By giving them nothing.

Otherwise how will they understand the value of anything?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Usually ignore them but if they are to pushy I will put up a large amount of plat in a trade window and then go AFK.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Sithos
    Usually ignore them but if they are to pushy I will put up a large amount of plat in a trade window and then go AFK.
    ROFL!!!

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    I use to give out plat in eq1, haven't done anything like that in a long while though. It's pretty easy to make money through auction houses, and since pretty much every recent game has BoP/level/class/ requirements for gear, handing out gear is kind of pointless.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Sithos

I've done that before.

I also sometimes reply with something to the effect of, "So let me get this straight:  you spend real-life money to come beg for fake online-game currency?"

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    It really depends on the beggar, I've helped one that was polite and needed some money that I as a high level had, so i did so and he didn't bother me ever again.But if the damn person is just sitting there SPAMMING chat and everyone around them for money, straight to the ignore list.
  • KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

If it's just "halp fr33 stuff pl0x" then forget it.

But... if they do a decent RP job of playing it out in-character, thereby contributing to the atmosphere of the setting, I'll give them something. 

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

ive always thought begging really differed according to which game your playing, in games like anarchy online and DAOC a little bit of $$ can really help out a new player where as games like WOW etc. begging is completely pointless.

played a million mmo's

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I wont give to beggers but I don't hate them or find them annoying.  I worry for them.  I don't think they lack respect.  I think they lack self discipline and experience.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Well...in Age of Wushu there is a Beggar's Sect and there is a Begging Profession - I find it to be annoying when on the receiving end. Having to do the begging yourself, when the game allows such a method, was also pretty harsh. Lots of denials and slaps in the face.

Now begging in a game without an actual Begging Profession is incredibly annoying, and I will most likely just ignore the person.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543

Voted "depends on beggars". If person asks for some stuff, like "I need that Shiny Sword..." - I can craft it just out of the fun. Hve your sword and fight, if you wish.

I met other persons (in Istaria I code-named it "Person A"). Annoying type - "plz plz help me kill as much spiders as u could, plz", "You help me get to Point XYZ", "Craft me that Halberd". I ended in ignoring him and helping only when I thought it was rational. And if we refused - he went almost crying, telling he would go to the very dangerous area and commit (virtual...) suicide here.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

no (i'll tell my reason):

I've found through past experiences that the majority of these "beggars" that I've come across are actually people in game that have alts and or mains that are pretty well off or doing just fine in the game.  They roll new characters and beg for gold, credits, etc., just for the hell of it or to pad their pockets.

I made the mistake of helping some of these beggars before and afterward would add them to my friend list to track their advancement, sadly almost all of them never progress passed that level they beg at, never sign on again, or actually delete the character completely.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I had a player stop me and ask for 5 silver (a miniscule amount).  I was so impressed with the fact that s/he wasn't asking for a large amount of gold, I gave them a tidy sum.  For me such an event is quite rare.  I bust butt working the economy and as a general rule don't reward begging.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    I don't give money to beggers because if you need to beg the game probably isn't for you. I tend to help people who are making progress or trying to make progress.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    No, but if I loot somnething I dont need that is useful for a groupmember or a guildie I give it to them without being asked.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    It depends on the beggar, I recently encounter one player in a free to play MMO who simply ran up to me and said give me money... he didn't get any.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I tend to just outright ignore beggars.

<3

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

From the poll responses, it seems a high effort for low yield "profession".

And yet, the buggers just flood mmo space.

What's going on here?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

From the poll responses, it seems a high effort for low yield "profession".

And yet, the buggers just flood mmo space.

What's going on here?

Simple.

It's a volume business - like Nigerian Lawyers for dead US GI's needing to put twenty million through YOUR bank account to get it out of the country and giving you a 20% slice of the 'action'.

99.99% of people erase it from their spam folder, the others get fleeced and the spammer makes their money.

The only question for me is how does the time/reward formula work against just going out and earning it...

... one presumes, unless all beggars are retards, that it is favourable towards the begging method, but I do wonder...I mean there is always some muppet who will let the BMW (that's just jumped the 1 mile tailback) cut-in in front of them - therefore making it a dead cert the BMW crowd will keep doing it...

... so these people do exist in numbers...

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    As a rule no but if I see an earnest player and I craft usually I make them stuff and give it to them to help them play. But never money just gear which I can make.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Tell them how to make money, get items etc. See them still begging.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

In roleplaying I can see it, and if done well I will also give a little for it. But on non-rp servers I just laugh at them and go on my way.

Sometimes I think they are a product of our economy, "you have and I don't so give me some" But that's just me. :)

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I ignore them.. if they persist I block them.

I really hate it in games.

The worst are the ones that run after you and pm you asking. DIrty Nezzers.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.