Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does anyone have anything POSITIVE to say

mcoolmcool Member UncommonPosts: 122

The negativity on the forums is staggering.  It seems to me that the posts that gets that get the most responses are the ones where the gaming industry or the players are being criticized. 

think I'am lying, check out the three most popular posts right now.

Identity crisis(325 comments)- somebody saying TESO is jst a reskin of of dark age of camelot

Do i really need be leet(190 comments)- somebody critisizing guild wars role system and then offering a poll,asking which role you prefer

If you dont like the holy trinity,come up with something better (172 comments)-instead of critisizing a game or the industry , the user is crticizing the players. he is saying that players should stop complaning about the holy trinity(dps,tank,healer) if they cant come up with something better

Cheer up guys, the gaming industry isn't that bad. We have seen major improvements over the years. You cant tell me the industry has gone backwards in terms of development, 

guild wars 2, WOW and TERA are much than swg,everquest and ultima online. take off your nostalgia tinted glasses and be happy, we are moving in the right direction but it will take time ;)

Comments

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

I'll say something positive:

I am positive that Camelot Unchained will be an incredible game.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'm confused about why this post is in the Camelot Unchained section and not the Pub or something.
  • mcoolmcool Member UncommonPosts: 122

yes,. that was an accident, it should be in listed in the general forums

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Should we just stay silent despite modern MMOs getting worse every year?
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by mcool

Cheer up guys, the gaming industry isn't that bad. We have seen major improvements over the years. You cant tell me the industry has gone backwards in terms of development, 

guild wars 2, WOW and TERA are much than swg,everquest and ultima online. take off your nostalgia tinted glasses and be happy, we are moving in the right direction but it will take time ;)

All i am saying is what are you smoking and where can i get some, cus that must be some seriously good shit if you honestly believe what i highlighted in your post.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

MMO'S are getting better, they just cant repoduce the same feeling you got when you played your first mmorpg.. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    Should we just stay silent despite modern MMOs getting worse every year?

I think we've stopped getting MMO releases entirely now.  The industry has been moving to essentiall create browser games with better graphics, without the browser.  They want fairly shallow gameplay that can appeal to the widest range of consumers, sort of like what Budweiser does.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Hrimnir

All i am saying is what are you smoking and where can i get some, cus that must be some seriously good shit if you honestly believe what i highlighted in your post.

really, i gaurantee you that if you get players who have never played a mmorpg before, they will prefer WOW over everquest, guild wars 2 over swg etc.. games can reproduce the same feeling you got when you first played them, thats why it so difficult make another WoW. if those games are so good then go back and play them, 

• tokeshtokesh Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

lol.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

MMO'S are getting better, they just cant repoduce the same feeling you got when you played your first mmorpg.. 

They've only been getting prettier.  Some, not even that.

You make me like charity

really, i gaurantee you that if you get players who have never played a mmorpg before, they will prefer WOW over everquest, guild wars 2 over swg etc.. games can reproduce the same feeling you got when you first played them, thats why it so difficult make another WoW. if those games are so good then go back and play them, 

I love that argument, its such an absurd argument, with no basis in logic.

Games are like anything else, they have a limited amount of content.  Telling us to go back and play them if they're so good is like telling someone to read a book they've read a 16th time when they've already read it 15 times.  IT DOESNT WORK THAT WAY.  We'd much rather read a new book with new characters that is in a similar style.

Instead whats happening is we've had people who in the past read awesome books like The Song of Ice and Fire, or Farseer Trilogy, or Riftwar Saga.  Now we're being told that we have to read Harry Potter and Twilight and if we don't like it its because we have "rose colored glasses", not because its actually dog shit on a cracker (which is precisely what it is).

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by asmkm22

They've only been getting prettier.  Some, not even that.

Games are starting realise that cloning WoW leads failure, games are becoming more innovative by the month the long grinds we faced in everquest and swg has been reduced. guild wars and tera both tried something new:dynamic events and action based combat. whether they executed the idea properly is debatable but at least they tried. 

The quest, dungeons,instaced pvp list  is no more. games wont make money if they do,and many aren't because they are following this cookie cutter formula.

Games are like anything else, they have a limited amount of content.  Telling us to go back and play them if they're so good is like telling someone to read a book they've read a 16th time when they've already read it 15 times.  IT DOESNT WORK THAT WAY.  We'd much rather read a new book with new characters that is in a similar style.

Instead whats happening is we've had people who in the past read awesome books like The Song of Ice and Fire, or Farseer Trilogy, or Riftwar Saga.  Now we're being told that we have to read Harry Potter and Twilight and if we don't like it its because we have "rose colored glasses", not because its actually dog shit on a cracker (which is precisely what it is).

mmo games arent like a book, where the content remains the same over the years. Games update themselves, adding new content with each patch/expansion. the fact is people are fed up with the formula behind these games(check call of duty) , they are boring and repititive. if these games were as great as people say, then more expansion packs will keep people coming back like fifa or WOW. 

the fact is the methodology behind those games are flawed, but with each new game., we are reaching perfection.

Except that a game like EQ which he referred to has come out with an incredible amount of content and systems since most people last played it. That's a pretty absurd argument with no basis in logic you are using there.

Going back would be more like reading the third book in your favorite trilogy, not the same book over and over again. Besides that, it sounds like you like to hop games a lot; you eat up content like a book and move on to the next book.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

Hope so or definitely a good step in a positive direction.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

I strongly disagree. Instant gratification does not equal better. While I loved vanilla WoW, I find MoP to be awful. It's not nostalgia. Current WoW feels like a lobby game, with stupid stuff like Pokemon tacked on.

Originally posted by OgreRaper

I strongly disagree. Instant gratification does not equal better. While I loved vanilla WoW, I find MoP to be awful. It's not nostalgia. Current WoW feels like a lobby game, with stupid stuff like Pokemon tacked on.

when you played vanilla WOW for the first time,( if thats was your first mmo) everything felt new to you, beacause it was. But wow cant produce the same feeling because the current wow is built upon vanilla wow. 

• akleyakley Member Posts: 17

I can honestly say that everything that MJ has said (except for mounts) has been perfect. Music to my ears and I am as excited as I have ever been for a video game.

Also Justin Timberlakes new song 'mirrors' is pretty good. No Mo.

mmo games arent like a book, where the content remains the same over the years. Games update themselves, adding new content with each patch/expansion. the fact is people are fed up with the formula behind these games(check call of duty) , they are boring and repititive. if these games were as great as people say, then more expansion packs will keep people coming back like fifa or WOW. 

the fact is the methodology behind those games are flawed, but with each new game., we are reaching perfection.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that.  But the point you seem to be missing is that NO GAME has come out that is even REMOTELY similar to the way Everquest was during the height of its popularity.

Yes, WOW clones are bad.  We all know that.  WOW only remains popular BECAUSE it is popular.  WOW was 75% of the current MMORPG players "pie" first game.  So many of them have the issue that they cant or wont quit the game because they feel like they've invested so much into it.  Many of us older MMO gamers had the same problem with our first games, so we understand, but it doesnt make it right.

Unfortunately the direction the genre has been going is NOT the right direction.  Games like GW2, Tera, and WOW are not better games than EQ, SWG, DAOC, or UO.

Tera was and is considered a failure, even by the developers as they wouldnt have felt the need to relaunch the game with a new title if it wasnt.  GW2 has had HORRIBLE retaining figures.  Yeah, they sold 3 million boxes, which is admirable, but nowhere near that many people play the game regularly anymore.  Hell, Age of Conan sold over a million boxes which at the time was staggeringly higher than anything else that was released post WOW, and within 2 months had less than 30% of that playing the game, and within 6 months was down to around 10%-15% of that.

WOW will always be a fluke, there will never be another MMO that captures that kind of audience, and its taken almost 10 years for the money lenders/investors to realize that.  They treated this industry the same way they treated the music industry and tried to produce formulaic freeze dried "POP" games, thinking that it would be popular because it followed a certain format. What they didnt realize is that the format of WOW was a fluke, it was a fad, a self feeding popularity machine.  It took WOW years to build up to 9 million subs.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by colddog04

Except that a game like EQ which he referred to has come out with an incredible amount of content and systems since most people last played it. That's a pretty absurd argument with no basis in logic you are using there.

Going back would be more like reading the third book in your favorite trilogy, not the same book over and over again. Besides that, it sounds like you like to hop games a lot; you eat up content like a book and move on to the next book.

Wrong.

First and foremost i am the opposite of a game hopper, im typically one of the last people to abandon ship.  I leave games when they start becoming uninspired.  I played EQ from 2000-2005 and ive been looking for another "home" ever since. Just like books can start getting crap, all media/entertainment has that problem.  I stopped reading Raymond Feists  Riftwar Cycle books after number 10 or 11, when it just started getting ridiculous.  Same thing with the CSI series, 11 seasons of the original, 8 seasons of miami, etc etc etc.  People just dont know when to let something DIE.

Telling me to go watch the new seasons of CSI if i liked the original say 7 so much is a STUPID Argument, and frankly just a generally stupid statement.  Its the same with a book series, or a game with expansions. 

- Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm not disagreeing with you on that.  But the point you seem to be missing is that NO GAME has come out that is even REMOTELY similar to the way Everquest was during the height of its popularity.

Yes, WOW clones are bad.  We all know that.  WOW only remains popular BECAUSE it is popular.  WOW was 75% of the current MMORPG players "pie" first game.  So many of them have the issue that they cant or wont quit the game because they feel like they've invested so much into it.  Many of us older MMO gamers had the same problem with our first games, so we understand, but it doesnt make it right.

Unfortunately the direction the genre has been going is NOT the right direction.  Games like GW2, Tera, and WOW are not better games than EQ, SWG, DAOC, or UO.

Tera was and is considered a failure, even by the developers as they wouldnt have felt the need to relaunch the game with a new title if it wasnt.  GW2 has had HORRIBLE retaining figures.  Yeah, they sold 3 million boxes, which is admirable, but nowhere near that many people play the game regularly anymore.  Hell, Age of Conan sold over a million boxes which at the time was staggeringly higher than anything else that was released post WOW, and within 2 months had less than 30% of that playing the game, and within 6 months was down to around 10%-15% of that.

WOW will always be a fluke, there will never be another MMO that captures that kind of audience, and its taken almost 10 years for the money lenders/investors to realize that.  They treated this industry the same way they treated the music industry and tried to produce formulaic freeze dried "POP" games, thinking that it would be popular because it followed a certain format. What they didnt realize is that the format of WOW was a fluke, it was a fad, a self feeding popularity machine.  It took WOW years to build up to 9 million subs.

Actually, it took years for them to build to 12 million and then a few more years to drop to 9 million. And... it still has 9 million subs, 8 years later, and will likely hold onto multiple millions for another few years at least. Yeah... what a "fad" that was. And still is. And might still be for a long time from now.

Also, where is your logic or evidence for this?

WOW only remains popular BECAUSE it is popular. WOW was 75% of the current MMORPG players "pie" first game. 

Do you just make stuff up that sounds like it should be right and expect people to accept it? 75% eh? Another statistic pulled out of the old ass?

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

What we are seeing is the start of the modern gaming revolution... Bottom line is that players are going to have to adapt to this and take a good hard look at what a game offers besides pretty graphics and voide overs and cinematics.

What I mean by the gaming revolution is many of these old school game developers are reinventing themselves in moden games

Take a moment to look at some of the single player games... Look at what Jordan Weisman is doing for Shadowrun... Brian Fargo for Wasteland 2, and finally Chris Roberts with Star Citizen... These are people who were and are inovators and some ofg the forefathers of their individual genre's.

Developers like these are no longer tied down to big publishers (factories) that crank out games for the sake of earnings reports.

Marc Jacobs is one of these inovators as well, take away the big publisher and he will prdocue a reinvention of his original vision (DAoC)...

The issue is look at any of the above mentioned games.. they are not going to be the AAA quality graphics and high production value that are being made by the NCSOFT, EA, Blizzard, Trion's of the world... What they will offer is much more rich and rewarding game play ...

The sooner you the player changes your overly unrealistic expectation for elements of the game that are shallow and meaningless and embrace immersion and gameplay you will see these are going to be games that will provide a rich and immersive experience.

You can let the independants win or you can let the mega factories win...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Anyone else find it ironic that a post that is trying to remind everyone to be positive is slowly turning into a negative thread?

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

Wow,tera and gw2 are better games than UO,everquest and SWG, they feature less static content and the grind isnt as bad, those games are pratically unplayable now. I stopped playing those games because the grind was immense. WoW wasnt a fluke, WoW was just user friendly, and thats why it attracted so many players. likeyou said WoW retained it playerbase because so many people invested to much time into it

''NO GAME has come out that is even REMOTELY similar to the way Everquest was during the height of its popularity'' thats becuse everquest was one of the first, every game since  has been built upon the foundation everquest left.the mmo industry needs to churn something breathtakingly new ,but it it doing that one baby step at a time, 

'' Games like GW2, Tera, and WOW are not better games than EQ, SWG, DAOC, or UO'' you never explained why? .. i believe they are. Most new players in the mmo scene will prefer gw2 ,wow over uo or eq in terms of gameplay. 

• CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Member Posts: 54
    When this game was first announced, the community was stellar. But then the general crowd found its way here. Most MMO forums never get this bad unless its close to release. I really hope this negativity clears up soon. I would hate to be in MJs shoes, having to filter through all the shit to find the few good posts around here. Sadly I have succumbed to the hatred as well, and I simply have to avoid these forums most of the time now.