Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rooted in place

Comments

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I saw. Cleric video and the player was complaining thatwith every spell he casted, he w unable to move and rooted on the spot.  That sounds just plain stupid for an action based combat system, doesnt it?

Thanks for sharing. I can officially rule this game out.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Originally posted by Skeetz
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

I have noticed some have not played the game very much or leved up very much in it.  The problem with rooting is not very evident until you get into some higher levels where difficulty ramps up. If you try try out the 40+ content you will see rooting may not be a problem before then but it does become one afterwards.

The game is quite easy up till 30ish where it slowly gets harder and this is where you will see peeps dying becuase they are rooted during an animation.

In end game content it is even worse where you can routinely be one shot killed if hit and where cleric healing/potting is kind of laughable and more for in between fights.

I don't mind it so much at lower levels but at high levels it just kills gameplay for me, tactics notwithstanding.

They're dying because they're not paying attention to the mob's animation. NPCs have telegraphs too and if they start a big attack and the player doesn't pay any attention to it and fail to move out of the kill zone he will get hit. 

Reason that doesnt happen in lower lvls is because they got away with it with mobs that dont hit as hard so they kept doing the same thing at higher lvls - guess what...you get one shotted while in middle of your combat animation.

This is what it means by action combat - There is NO TAB Targetting. You have to be aware of your position , the boss' position and what the boss is doing as opposed to spamming your skills and movement keys.

No in an action game you can move freely and use strategies.  This is more a weak attempt at balancing certain issues and an attempt to make the game feel like it is based on strategy more than it really is.  IF you had played ALL the betas as extensively as I did you would know this.

The issues have nothing to do with failing to see mob tells or tab targetting.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SkeetzSkeetz Member UncommonPosts: 24
    No in an action game you can move freely and use strategies..

Which action game? TERA, Raiderz, Dragon Nest, DCUO, Vindictus are all  action combat games that have rooted mechanics. Please don't name GW2 as that's not action combat. neither is DDO.

While I don't have much issue with having rooted combat I feel it could have been done better in games.

It would be great if midway thru the a casting or swing you can hit your dodge keys and that overides everything else and interrupts whatever you're doing. Maybe even have a threshold where once you've gone past that you're commited to the action and that can be tweaked and refinded.

I would have liked that more than a perma root with no  recourse.

Apparently I hear that you can do that in NWO ( interupt combat with dodge), but the animations are slow and clunky that it never felt instant.

Which action game? TERA, Raiderz, Dragon Nest, DCUO, Vindictus are all  action combat games that have rooted mechanics. Please don't name GW2 as that's not action combat. neither is DDO.

Just take any real action game, MMO or not going back to the 80's. I will not start quoting games at you if you can't see what I am saying.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Just take any real action game, MMO or not going back to the 80's. I will not start quoting games at you if you can't see what I am saying.

lol we're talking about rpg that use action combat not action games - that is an entirely different genre. No matter what an rpg is still and rpg , and action games are not rpg. There may borrow some elements from other genres like shooters that have weapon upgrades and lvl ups but noone is going to confuse CoD as an rpg. Likewise none is going to confuse NWO as an action game...except for you I guess.

lol we're talking about rpg that use action combat not action games - that is an entirely different genre. No matter what an rpg is still and rpg , and action games are not rpg. There may borrow some elements from other genres like shooters that have weapon upgrades and lvl ups but noone is going to confuse CoD as an rpg. Likewise none is going to confuse NWO as an action game...except for you I guess.

I think rooting does not belong in  a "action" rpg or "action" mmo period. I am not interested in debating this with you, you have your opinioin and I have mine, I can respect anothers opinion even if I greatly disagree with it, even though you seem intent on "picking" a fight about it.

The more I post in forums the less I am inclined to "debate" things. Seems to me it is far more effective to state your opinion, ask question or clarifications if you desire and then move on.  When you start to debate things it just tends to turn into flame fests or thinly veiled insults.

Think I made my opinion pretty clear and I think I have understood yours as well.

Carry on.

Alright we'll agree to disagree and I respect your opinion. I wasn't trying to 'pick a fight' but I apologize for my wording.

I won't debate this anymore too and there're numerous debates in other threads about this in this forum and elsewhere.

But I want to point out something about so called action combat or the term used. I think it's a poorly worded term probably coined by a company marketing their game when they wanted to seem different from the current status quo in MMORPGs.

It sure sounds better than 'console like combat' which is where these things started and eventually like most things on console they get assimilated into the PC platform. 

So instead of hit chance dice rolls, we get collision detection. Where something that used to be decided by a dice roll is replaced using collision detection. Rooting is just an unfortunate by product - a necessary evil if you may.  Basically I see root as the hit chance of the enemy's attacks landing on me. I can decrease that chance  by positioning and timing. So that's where the 'action' comes in.

Whereby on classic rpgs , I can improve my not getting hit (enemy's misses) by skill points and gear and they actually mean something in game.

Sure you may still see Defence as a stat to keep in line with what an rpg is supposed to be, but it's role is somewhat neutered or rejigged to something else. Like most 'action combat' rpgs, there's not a lot of emphasis placed on stats as compared to classic rpgs.  Which is kinda odd design choice for a DnD style game. The great thing about playing a DnD game is the theorycrafting and the stats make a difference.

Anyway that's my way of rationalizing it.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I think the rooting does not only belong to action games, but also it's a necessary gameplay and tactical element. I normally lose respect pretty quickly for action games that allow you to just run around freely as you swing a two handed sword or cast a powerful spell, or just allow you to do a 180 direction change mid-jump. To me it's so absurd that it breaks the immersion and makes me think of outdated mechanics typical of the arcades in the 90's.

Even the most acclaimed ARPG saga of all time, Diablo, uses rooting not only when casting spells, also when doing melee attacks. Rooting in action games has always existed, and will always exist. It adds the important element of forcing you to make decissions such as skill timing or choose when you can afford to attack, or will have to settle for a more defensive approach. I value the feature, and I enjoy its existance. It's here to stay, and rightly so.

When I want to play mindless button mashers, I switch to console games.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I think the rooting does not only belong to action gamse, but also it's a necessary gameplay and tactical element. I normally lose respect pretty quickly for action games that allow you to just run around freely as you swing a two handed sword or cast a powerful spell, or just allow you to do a 180 direction change mid-jump. To me it's so absurd that it breaks the immersion and makes me think of outdated mechanics typical of the arcades in the 90's.

Even the most acclaimed ARPG saga of all time, Diablo, uses rooting not only when casting spells, also when doing melee attacks. Rooting in action games has always existed, and will always exist. It adds the important element of forcing you to make decissions such as skill timing or choose when you can afford to attack, or will have to settle for a more defensive approach. I value the feature, and I enjoy its existance. It's here to stay, and rightly so.

When I want to play mindless button mashers, I switch to console games.

i will agree rooting is probably not going anywhere and when done right i like it.. For example batman arkham games I felt had very fun and fluid combat even with the rooting.. but for whatever reason certain games and rooting feel very off for me.. diablo i couldn't stand the rooting but mostly because it's a point and click game to begin with. I think it's honestly the animations in this game as in games like vindictous I don't mind the rooting either. Just something about the ranged classes animations feels wrong and it turns me off to their combat.. 

but then again Tera had some very nice animations and the ranged classes rooting felt all wrong.. so i dunno has to be a combination of the animations and how the skills transition from one to the other that bothers me... but guess I'm just picky in that way... oh well melee it is for me I guess as I don't see this changing much...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Alright we'll agree to disagree and I respect your opinion. I wasn't trying to 'pick a fight' but I apologize for my wording.

I won't debate this anymore too and there're numerous debates in other threads about this in this forum and elsewhere.

But I want to point out something about so called action combat or the term used. I think it's a poorly worded term probably coined by a company marketing their game when they wanted to seem different from the current status quo in MMORPGs.

It sure sounds better than 'console like combat' which is where these things started and eventually like most things on console they get assimilated into the PC platform. 

So instead of hit chance dice rolls, we get collision detection. Where something that used to be decided by a dice roll is replaced using collision detection. Rooting is just an unfortunate by product - a necessary evil if you may.  Basically I see root as the hit chance of the enemy's attacks landing on me. I can decrease that chance  by positioning and timing. So that's where the 'action' comes in.

Whereby on classic rpgs , I can improve my not getting hit (enemy's misses) by skill points and gear and they actually mean something in game.

Sure you may still see Defence as a stat to keep in line with what an rpg is supposed to be, but it's role is somewhat neutered or rejigged to something else. Like most 'action combat' rpgs, there's not a lot of emphasis placed on stats as compared to classic rpgs.  Which is kinda odd design choice for a DnD style game. The great thing about playing a DnD game is the theorycrafting and the stats make a difference.

Anyway that's my way of rationalizing it.

Cool I sometimes find it hard to see if someone is really just passionate about something or looking for trouble in forums, without a "tone of voice" sometimes the words just seem inadequate  :)

I understand better what you mean with this post and i guess you have a point, rooting just doesn't feel like action combat to me, though I will add I had no problem with it in Vindictus, a game I enjoyed quite a bit but found got old after awhile. 

In Neverwinter it just doesn't feel right to me, it doesn't feel smooth like in Vindictus, the stats don't seem to do much of much either.  Dunno maybe my problem is more with the engine Cryptic used and how they tweaked things.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Agrias34

I think the combat is fine how it is.  The only small term change I could see being implemented would be faster animation times which means less time standing still after using a skill etc. and balancing each individual skill differently so that you can move faster after using certain skills, meaning said certain skills are quicker to cast, and some skills that do larger amounts of damage or larger area of effects may root you for a longer duration than said other skills that are weaker or highly mobile.

For example, I played a cleric up to level 10, I typically don't like playing beta's too long because it ruins the fun for me when the game actually launches, but I could suggest that the basic left click ability which throws spears could have less animation time so that you can sort of throw a spear, take a small step back in between throws, and continue the chain of throwing the spears since the 3rd spear does more damage.  But some skills like my daily power that calls down the angel wings of light or whatnot, which does a lot of damage and also knocks down or stuns the enemy(something like that) should take longer to cast and hinder your movement capabilities more than just basic and smaller attacks.

I'm not suggesting to completey remove the rooting system for the weaker, more mobile skills, but just tweaking them slightly to improve upon their current system which is fine altogether.

i agree.. overall it's not the rooting that is the core issue for me it's how it looks/feels. It's really an animation and transition between animations issue.. as i have said in earlier posts in other games like dmc and other fast paced action games there is a very smooth animation transition between skills even if rooting is used it is hardly noticable at all.. some animation speed ups and tweaks would do wonders

Agreed even though I personally didn't have an issue with it but if it gets more players playing and make more people happy I am all for it.  As long as they don't remove the rooting entirely because then it becomes another kitefest of which I am not particularly fond of and is probably why I never play caster classes.  I agree with the guy you quoted speaking of Tera.  Other then the Art and Eastern influences (which I wont get into here) or the lackluster WoW'esque style questing the main issue I had was that the rooting in that game felt like an eternity and playign a melee toon in Tera was absolutely atrocious.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Monstre0auSMonstre0auS Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Agrias34

I think the combat is fine how it is.  The only small term change I could see being implemented would be faster animation times which means less time standing still after using a skill etc. and balancing each individual skill differently so that you can move faster after using certain skills, meaning said certain skills are quicker to cast, and some skills that do larger amounts of damage or larger area of effects may root you for a longer duration than said other skills that are weaker or highly mobile.

For example, I played a cleric up to level 10, I typically don't like playing beta's too long because it ruins the fun for me when the game actually launches, but I could suggest that the basic left click ability which throws spears could have less animation time so that you can sort of throw a spear, take a small step back in between throws, and continue the chain of throwing the spears since the 3rd spear does more damage.  But some skills like my daily power that calls down the angel wings of light or whatnot, which does a lot of damage and also knocks down or stuns the enemy(something like that) should take longer to cast and hinder your movement capabilities more than just basic and smaller attacks.

I'm not suggesting to completey remove the rooting system for the weaker, more mobile skills, but just tweaking them slightly to improve upon their current system which is fine altogether.

i agree.. overall it's not the rooting that is the core issue for me it's how it looks/feels. It's really an animation and transition between animations issue.. as i have said in earlier posts in other games like dmc and other fast paced action games there is a very smooth animation transition between skills even if rooting is used it is hardly noticable at all.. some animation speed ups and tweaks would do wonders

Agreed even though I personally didn't have an issue with it but if it gets more players playing and make more people happy I am all for it.  As long as they don't remove the rooting entirely because then it becomes another kitefest of which I am not particularly fond of and is probably why I never play caster classes.  I agree with the guy you quoted speaking of Tera.  Other then the Art and Eastern influences (which I wont get into here) or the lackluster WoW'esque style questing the main issue I had was that the rooting in that game felt like an eternity and playign a melee toon in Tera was absolutely atrocious.

RED: And Azzamasin comes to the crux of this issue: will a little bit of tweakage get more people to play? There has been quite a few passionate posts, rationalizations and debates in this forum, one can only hope the devs are reading this as well and actually take time around the water cooler to tell one another, 'this is something that our current playerbase, and potential playerbase are saying is important, let's make sure we've given it enough work to ensure we're all happy with it'.

I think I just made $0.10?

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

this is only proof of the FPS players invading the mmorpg genre and slowly taking out the RPG aspect.

Ppl that dont have a effing clue about D&D.

In D&D in order to a mage cast a spell he needs to be concentrate  while making certain hand gestures and movements allied with words with perfection for the spell work. IT s NOT A FART OR A BURP its a SPELL with spetacular effects.

u adhd kids and ur twich combat, go play COD with retarded kids where u belong.

Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

this is only proof of the FPS players invading the mmorpg genre and slowly taking out the RPG aspect.

In D&D in order to a mage cast a spell he needs to be concentrate  while making certain hand gestures and movements allied with words with perfection for the spell work. IT s NOT A FART OR A BURP its a SPELL with spetacular effects.

RED: I hate to argue with you, as I did in fact argue the same point earlier in thread (using magicians from fantasy novels as inspiration), but in 3ed and 3.5ed there were feats mages could take that allowed them to cast spells without gestures, sound, reagents or even removed cast times! - The one thing that rings true is that the magician had to be able to concentrate still, so this could barely be pulled off whilst on the run from a fireball, or if you were knocked out...

However, in the same edition, certain rituals and crafting attempts for example required several hours of concentration! Meaning that wizards who flapped a butt cheek to fart would ruin that attempt! So yes, there were exceptions to your rule, but ultimately in terms of storytelling, you are correct.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I saw. Cleric video and the player was complaining thatwith every spell he casted, he w unable to move and rooted on the spot.  That sounds just plain stupid for an action based combat system, doesnt it?

The problem is that this is in line with the lore.

In D&D many spells limit your movement, particularly wizards spells. That is why D&D isnt a great model for a more action based MMO mechanics while working for more tactical games.

This is not Cryptics fault and anyone who played Biowares NWN remember the same thing there. Maybe they should have used some other mechanics instead, if they would have based it on Pathfinder there would have been some more flexibility and it would have been even more if they based it on something like Warhammer.

The real problem is that clerics doesnt cast that many spells in the P&P game. Sure, you do some healing, some buffs and even a attack spell or 2 but they spend a lot of time smacking in the opponents head with a morningstar as well, in fact our cleric in our last campign were so much tanking as we had (no aggro control but he did walk in front and took the main damage), not that much casting for him.

Wizards are standing so still because of balance, their spells are really OP but they are very fragile, the favorite target of any mob and lacks mobility. That type of balancing might not work so well in a action MMO.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I didn't have any issues evading mid-attack in this beta round, so I am fine with the rooting. I can see how wizards and clerics reverse strafing while casting would end up being rediculous. The main issue I had with it last beta weekend was that my rogue would get locked in an animation and then get blasted by an AE that was completely avoidable. Now that is fixed I am fine with it.
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Monstre0auS

RED: I hate to argue with you, as I did in fact argue the same point earlier in thread (using magicians from fantasy novels as inspiration), but in 3ed and 3.5ed there were feats mages could take that allowed them to cast spells without gestures, sound, reagents or even removed cast times! - The one thing that rings true is that the magician had to be able to concentrate still, so this could barely be pulled off whilst on the run from a fireball, or if you were knocked out...

However, in the same edition, certain rituals and crafting attempts for example required several hours of concentration! Meaning that wizards who flapped a butt cheek to fart would ruin that attempt! So yes, there were exceptions to your rule, but ultimately in terms of storytelling, you are correct.

correct me if im wrong, but these feats are cumulative for a single spell?

if memory does not fail me u can cast a fireball without reagents or without gestures or without sound,  but not all of them in a single spell.

if memory does not fail me u can cast a fireball without reagents or without gestures or without sound,  but not all of them in a single spell.

You are indeed correct and I apologise for having not made it clearer in my post. You could cast spells without needing vocalisation, you could cast spells without the gestures, you could cast spells without reagents, but only a DM could do all of this at the same time! image

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

You are indeed correct and I apologise for having not made it clearer in my post. You could cast spells without needing vocalisation, you could cast spells without the gestures, you could cast spells without reagents, but only a DM could do all of this at the same time! image

Not to say that when you use any metamagic feat, the spell becomes a higher level to cast, up to three levels higher for Quickened spells, which are the ones that can be cast instantly.

I would see as good thing a cooldown ability that allows casters to move while casting for a short period of time, much like Shaman's Spiritwalk in WoW, but in my own point of view, I insist that rooting is necessary, and welcome in any ARPG. From the Legend of Zelda to Diablo 3, and everything in between.

I will accept and respect the comments of people that think they'd enjoy the game more if it didn't have rooting, each one is entitled to their own opinion. But every worthwhile action RPG has used rooting as a tactical mechanic and those who can't see that fact or say that rooting doesn't belong to the ARPG genre is just clueless.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

You won't start "quoting games" because you have no examples.  Most action games including the god fathers of action games root you.  I will name them again:

• Diablo, God of War, Bayonetta, Kingdoms of Amalur, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dark Soul, Devil May Cry even games like Street Fighter and Mortal Combat

I just don't think you have played any action games.

Originally posted by SoMuchMass

You won't start "quoting games" because you have no examples.  Most action games including the god fathers of action games root you.  I will name them again:

• Diablo, God of War, Bayonetta, Kingdoms of Amalur, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dark Soul, Devil May Cry even games like Street Fighter and Mortal Combat

I have been playing video games since atari and colecovision, these game you mention are far from the grand daddy of anything.  From your post I would deduce that I have forgotten more games than you have even played.

Troll on though!

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93

I have been playing video games since atari and colecovision, these game you mention are far from the grand daddy of anything.  From your post I would deduce that I have forgotten more games than you have even played.

Troll on though!

On the contrary, every modern ARPG can trace it's roots back to Diablo, Bayonetta and Dark Souls are widely considered modern classics, and Street Fighter and Mortal Combat are the games where this literally all began. 

Unless you can cite some examples of your own I'm going to say that the TL; DR here is that you have nothing to add to this conversation other than a misinformed opinion. 

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It's how the rooting is implemented that is the problem.  It feels stuttery and jerky which is not how you want your action combat to feel.  I'm used to the system now and how to use the dodge mechanic to break animations, but it's not smooth compared to the GW2, Tera, or TL2.

I actually think the problem stems from the Attack Qeueing system. You have by now no doubt realised that when you click the left mouse button twice, even tho it takes 1.5 seconds for your attack to finish, the next one is already lined up. This means that if you're out of stamina, there's no way to interupt whatever is lined up in the action qeue so that you can walk away. 

Originally posted by ranncore

Troll on though!

On the contrary, every modern ARPG can trace it's roots back to Diablo, Bayonetta and Dark Souls are widely considered modern classics, and Street Fighter and Mortal Combat are the games where this literally all began. 

Unless you can cite some examples of your own I'm going to say that the TL; DR here is that you have nothing to add to this conversation other than a misinformed opinion. 

Really ranncore are you telling me there were no action games before these ones lol   Street fighter came out in 87 and Mortal Kombat came out in 92 and was an arcade game.

You guys have got to be kidding me, have you not ever played some of the old DOS games lol there were many many action games where you could attack while moving.

lmao

Modern classics my behind, they are only classic if your like 25 or so which in the scheme of things is still kind of young, it's like 12 year olds claiming stuff is OLD SKOOL BABY

But w/e floats your boat.  Be sure I will TL; DR your next posts myself.