Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How tolerant are you regarding discussions about real life in voice/in-game chat channels?

2»

Comments

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    If it's with random people then I can understand.  I ran WoW raids with a close knit 10 man group and a lot of RL talk would happen at times.  We were all on a first name basis.  It didn't irritate me really as I felt we were all good friends.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

On occasion a new member to the guild will make the mistake of talking politics or religion.  If he doesnt take the hint, quickly, that those topics aren't appreciated, they are removed.

After reading through the comments in this thread however, I have to ask what kind of guilds are your guys in?  A good 30% are against idle chit chat.  Seriously?  Unless you purposely join an RP guild, why the hell would you want an uninviting environment like that?

When you are in the middle of pvp, then VC discipline comes into affect.  When everyone is just sitting around or doing something unimportant like PvE, why not talk to eachother?  

My guild in GW2 chats all the time, especially when we are making fun of Sea of Sorrows or Sanctum of Rall.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Delete

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont really see the point for this discussion, all the chatting stuff is up to the guild rules, and general chat is the general chat.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Some of the best times I've had in MMOs have been with real life friends, and it would be... uh, just awkward not to talk about any "real life" stuff with them. :)

I'm also OK with talking about real life stuff with people I don't know from real life, though with them I'll certainly steer clear of stuff that's really personal. I'll also stay away from issues that's prone to conflict.

In other words, I'll stick to friendly chat and nothing too serious.

On a related note, I don't think everybody plays MMOs to "just play the game". Socializing is certainly a part of the genre in my opinion and chatting about real life stuff can be part of it.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Depends on the conversation, the channel etc. If it's in-game and generally broadcast, I tend to /ignore people chatting about RL.

If it's a guild I am more tolerant. If things go over the top for too long, I leave and go back to my solitary wandering.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

It is a mixed bag for me. Generally, I am with you Kyleran.

A lot of people don't seem to "take a measure" of other people when in voice chat. Many times they just spout whatever comes into their head without engaging their brain. Games are inundated with Facebook people who think I care about what they had for lunch and need to see a picture of it.

Idle chit chat in and of itself is fine by me, but not everyone can hold back from gory details or cases of "TMI." All too soon, idle chit chat degrades into one-upmanship.

Voice chat is worse than text chat. A player has to actually work at typing out their words and may sometimes see what they type before hitting "send." Text chat can still get wildly inane, though. Voice chat has no such work. Just open mouth and talk. Maybe hit a "talk button."

For me, I don't have online friends. If I have not met you face to face, you are, at best, an acquaintance. I really don't care about another's personal life. If something tragic happens, I feel bad for them and can do nothing about it from my end. I did not log on to commiserate with others.

Overall, chit chat does not bother me. But many times it degrades quickly into more personal info than I care to know about. Soon drama follows and this is when I leave.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

I'm very gregarious and enjoy socializing in mmo's. If you do not, it is your prerogative to mute me or excuse yourself. However, you cannot dictate how people interact outside your privately owned channels. We are paying customers too. General chat is for general chat.

"He asked me how my day was. Ban him!"

"Teacher! Teacher! They're laughing and talking, and not about fireballs and heals! I want them to talk about fireballs again and again...........but without me!"

Come to think of it, why do introverts involve themselves with mmo's then complain about human interaction? Why are they bothered by the way others socialize, especially when they are left alone upon request? Are introverts reaching out when posting on forums?

Save RP for RP servers. I should start a toon on one of those servers and say "Yo what up peeps?! Geez, RP...RP....RP.........don'tcha talk bout other stuffz? Word! True dat!"

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Overall subject to myself it comes down to this.

"Why should anyone care if you chit chat or chatty cathy it up".

This is the problem with the good ole internet. People forget this is a facist place.

To the greater good. The individual matters not in any chat. It's a collective and you cannot place your little self outside of (the collective). Besides disconnecting.

Introverts, exoverts, billyverts. All of these are caste indoctrination.

Get over yourself, in essence.

(That's what I had to do. Just get over it, it's a first world problem, people in ethopia are killing eachother over a bag of chips yo.)

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I'd rather know the characters people create, rather than the people themselves.  The characters they create are often more interesting than the people themselves.  I'd like to be treated the same way.

I'm rather tolerant of OOC chat.  But I'd rather keep my game life to games, and my real life to reality.  When I find that I am opening up about OOC issues, I treat it as a sign that I need to take a break from the MMO.  When I see it in others, when they start to talk about OOC things to me, I usually tell them to take a break from the game as well.

I'm of the theory, alongside Castronova, that people usually dive into an MMO after reality kicks them for a loop.  It's a place to take a break from reality, but it is no substitute for reality.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

For the most part I agree with you.

Politics is the one that drives me up the wall. When general chat devolves into that.....well, let's just say its the real world I'm trying to get away from.

But there have been instances, for example, real life issues of the people I play with can matter. Not drama queens who are always in crisis or gossipy who is dating who stuff, but rather, here's an example where it mattered to me:

A person who I've gamed with for years, who I met through gaming, suffered a traumatic injury in a car accident - for real. I'm glad I knew that.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

pretty much depends on discussion and how people tolerate each other.

most of the time I like real life discussion if it not turning into personal data hunting, or massive flame.

sure would prefer to hear some funny stories instate of politics or deep religious discussions, but don't mind them either if it not turn into dispute.

hate mindless chats like:
    - WTF this game is? (alien wrong landing)
    - your mom! (kid calling for help)
    - you are all just idiots! (his first escape from the mad house)

etc

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Came up on another thread, thought I'd explore the topic more.

etc

For the most part I agre. It depends on who they are. I have been playing with a small group of people over the years and I don't mind hearing about their lives, I think we've become actual friends over the years as much as one can over the interwebz. I even meet one of them (who is "related" to the others one way or another) for drinks when he is in town.

Having said that, if it's a large general clan chat with people who don't really know you well, I would say I agree to everything you said.

I don't want to hear about how drunk you are, don't mind if you swear though, don't want to hear how you are out of a job and yet you are playing video games and spending money in them yet you are worried about your finances (that actually happened to me once and I tried to give "advice" but you can lead a horse to water...)

And the thing is, I'm an extrovert so it's not like I have problems talking with total strangers. I just think you should "know your audience".

This is not to say I'm going to go balistic and if someone gets on vent and really needs advice or an ear to listen, I'll do it, but I do believe there is a time and a place.

What makes you think introverts have trouble talking to people but extroverts are good?  Do you mistake shyness for interversion?  Here is a most basic understanding in the difference between introverts and extroverts:  Extroverts feel more energetic when social and drained when lonely.  Introverts reverse that.  Shyness is a different thing altogether like eye color.  While an Introvert could be shy, it works better for him due to the inner locust, whereas an extrovert being shy causes bind in that extroverts need to be social. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Well I dont roleplay, but I cant stand all the real life chat either.

Im playing a lot of PS2 right now, and most of the time you have to be paying attention or get shot from behind. The game moves real fast.

And almost every squad I get into, some stupid discussion starts about a movie, or somebodies drunk adventure.

If you are one of them, trust me when I say..... we dont care!!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    If the game is so boring we resort to talking about real life then it's time to find a better game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    If the game is so boring we resort to talking about real life then it's time to find a better game.

What if people are playing the game for the social aspect? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

I love to connect with ppl. While I understand that role playing is interesting to some, and community stability is desired, there's nothing so valuable as human relationships, and the real human on the other side of that toon is the most interesting part about a good MMO, the social aspect.

I'd say I'm extremely tolerant. Some ppl may not like it, they may make groups, clans, channels or whatever under the guideline of specific gameplay enjoyment or role playing, it's up to them, let everybody do what they want... within legal boundries >.>

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

What if people are playing the game for the social aspect? 

Role playing is social.  Telling me you are fighting with your wife because you've been on the game to long is not.  It's just annoying.  If you/re going to do that go play Gaia or IMVU.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Discussion about real life isn't really a problem at all.  It's only immaturity that bothers me. 

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

While I personally prefer an eventful and enthralling game, nothing is so enjoyable as doing something with other ppl and sharing your experience. I'm not willing to settle for a boring game, but I do appreciate the social opportunity, the question arises, how can you do both?

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.