Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mark Jacobs and Company - Please do not REQUIRE monthly fees to play.

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I don't mind paying a sub fee for a great game either, especially if it will keep the game hoppers away.

Besides, they are damned if they do ~ damned if they don't.  3/4 of the people on this forum believe MMO games should be completely free, as in they don't have to pay a dime for any of it whatsoever.  They whine about cash shops, whine about box fees, and whine about subs.

So true!

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Free2play almost always turns into pay 2 win unless you have loads of free time to grind.

Even in league of legends there are advantages to having every single champion unlocked which takes a long time to do as a free player.

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Kuppa

I don't like monthly fees and it's many horrible arguments, like:

1. "anyone has that amount of money": That amount of money is clearly not in everyones hand, if you have it great. Give thanks for the fact that you have a well paying job or have parents who give you money or maybe won the lotto, I don't know or care the point is not everyone is on the same boat so please don't boast how "cheap" it is. It just makes you look ignorant.
    2. "kids will come!": The kids that will come are the spoiled brats that can afford a sub.
    3. "It's cheaper than a movie!": Yes, it's cheaper than a movie, an amusement park, a concert, ect... Where this falls flat on its ass is that compared to other games it's more expensive. It's easy to know there is something wrong when folks try to justify the price of something when they have to start compairing it to other things aside from it's direct competition.
    4. "they need that montly income": In this market with so many games that cost much less they will not get that monthly income if players feel like they could be getting more for their money elsewhere. They have to lower the price of admission in order to even get people in the door and after they are in the door they have to blow them away to justify a sub. So it actually hurts to charge a sub even though it sounds good in theory(in this market).

It costs money to host and manage servers, to design continued improvements to the game, etc.

That money is going to be paid somehow.  Either by those who are rich enough to Pay to Win in a F2P model, or by all of us evenly in a subscription model where everybody will be on equal footing and you don't have to worry about the guy on the other realm having purchased stuff from the store that will put him at an advantage to you.

Personally, I am with Mark on the equal footing, subscription model.  Especially in a PVP-oriented game.

Honestly, if you can't afford $15/month, you are in the minority here.  Skip out on a night of drinking.  Skip out on one dinner out a month.  I don't know a single person that can't afford $15/month for a game.  Not one. And I know people who don't make a lot of money and don't get money from their parents.  You're doing something wrong if you can't afford it (or  your priorities should be somewhere other than gaming at the moment).

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

1. "anyone has that amount of money": That amount of money is clearly not in everyones hand, if you have it great. Give thanks for the fact that you have a well paying job or have parents who give you money or maybe won the lotto, I don't know or care the point is not everyone is on the same boat so please don't boast how "cheap" it is. It just makes you look ignorant.
    2. "kids will come!": The kids that will come are the spoiled brats that can afford a sub.
    3. "It's cheaper than a movie!": Yes, it's cheaper than a movie, an amusement park, a concert, ect... Where this falls flat on its ass is that compared to other games it's more expensive. It's easy to know there is something wrong when folks try to justify the price of something when they have to start compairing it to other things aside from it's direct competition.
    4. "they need that montly income": In this market with so many games that cost much less they will not get that monthly income if players feel like they could be getting more for their money elsewhere. They have to lower the price of admission in order to even get people in the door and after they are in the door they have to blow them away to justify a sub. So it actually hurts to charge a sub even though it sounds good in theory(in this market).

1. If someone don't have 15 free dollars per month he shouldn't play games. So not everyone have 1000$ to go for Disney, let everyone go there for free. Wtf ?

2. It's not always like that. I'm almost sure it's different. Most of people i know who played free games like for example tibia had some poblems with law in real life. At least it's from experience.  (it doesn't apply to all of them of course)

3. So go to that other games. We don't want here ppl who want everything for free. Who thinks that everything should be theirs because they exist in world. Because you were born doesn't give you rights to somebody work for free.

4. As I mentioned above. Go somewhere else. They will get more in PvP game from subscription it will be stable and they will focus on game not on thing like items for people who pay.

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    please p2p!! in f2p and b2p are tons of stupid ppl
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Yes, MMOs are a hobby of mine. I am also more than willing to pay the monthly fee to play them.

You see i don't look at it the same way you do, if i stop paying, i don't think of it as someone swooping in and taking away everything i had put into it, i think of it more as they aren't putting enough into it for me to be having fun.

You give me a good game, that i find fun, entertaining, exciting, (or whatever you want to call it), I'll gladly shell out my monthly fee, probably for years or as long as you can keep it coming, or better yet, until someone does it better. Its my hobby, and I'm more than willing to invest in it, so long as the developers are as well. Its thier game, and its thier job to keep me coming back and paying that fee. As a consumer, I love monthly fees. I feel like it keeps them on their toes as they really want me to keep that sub going every month.

My first non-monthly fee game since the month UO came out has been GW2. I don't care for it much (the pay model). Theres always that hint that you can play it normaly, or, you can do it much, much faster in the cash shop by buying gems. I like everyone on equal footing thanks.

Just my opinion..

Originally posted by sweetdigs

It costs money to host and manage servers, to design continued improvements to the game, etc.

That money is going to be paid somehow.  Either by those who are rich enough to Pay to Win in a F2P model, or by all of us evenly in a subscription model where everybody will be on equal footing and you don't have to worry about the guy on the other realm having purchased stuff from the store that will put him at an advantage to you.

Personally, I am with Mark on the equal footing, subscription model.  Especially in a PVP-oriented game.

Honestly, if you can't afford $15/month, you are in the minority here.  Skip out on a night of drinking.  Skip out on one dinner out a month.  I don't know a single person that can't afford $15/month for a game.  Not one. And I know people who don't make a lot of money and don't get money from their parents.  You're doing something wrong if you can't afford it (or  your priorities should be somewhere other than gaming at the moment).

So you went with both argument 4 and 1?

All those costs can be paid by both models you are correct, I already told you why P2P is at a disadvantage.

Please don't sound ignorant. How do you know that is a minority? do you have some data to back it up and even if you do what makes it right to alianate the minority? Of course you don't know anyone who can't pay that sub, because in societies people tend to be around their same age group, wealth group, ect...Again guys, NOT EVERYONE has it as good as you do. Please stop coming here and saying that is money everyone should have, it really makes you sound arrogant and ignorant.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Subscription is fine as long as they can release content quicker than once every blue moon (or every 2-3 years)

whichever is shorter  :)

I'm not asking for everquest content releases (6 months for an expansion), however something quicker than WoW

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by morfidon

1. If someone don't have 15 free dollars per month he shouldn't play games. So not everyone have 1000$ to go for Disney, let everyone go there for free. Wtf ?

2. It's not always like that. I'm almost sure it's different. Most of people i know who played free games like for example tibia had some poblems with law in real life. At least it's from experience.  (it doesn't apply to all of them of course)

3. So go to that other games. We don't want here ppl who want everything for free. Who thinks that everything should be theirs because they exist in world. Because you were born doesn't give you rights to somebody work for free.

4. As I mentioned above. Go somewhere else. They will get more in PvP game from subscription it will be stable and they will focus on game not on thing like items for people who pay.

1. Missed the point completely. Im not saying that if you don't have the money then let them play it anyways. It's the idea that if I have that money everyone else SHOULD also have it. Don't think 15/mo is within reach of everyone.

2. ???

3 & 4. I'm not complaining about the game, Im debating the business model itself. Don't take it personal with the game, although if you believe a list of ideas on a piece of paper stands to deserve anything then so be it but that's a different problem.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Also DISAGREE. I want a good community. Not a hoping players who jump from realm to realm.

I don't want also so many kids. 

10-15$ per month is very cheap. And it's good for overall quality of game. Let devs focus on game not on rewards for people who pay. 

BTW LoL is instant action game not a game like CU is gonna be. CU is gonna have legendary moments that might be unpredictable and we need it to be paid not free.

Ehh..as if there are no kids in P2P games right? 

Ehh as if there are so many like in F2P game right?

So many? i don't know..you got some internal data to share with us? you make it sound as 15 bucks is such a huge barrier to stop kids from playing a P2P MMO.  In your own words 10-15 bucks is very cheap.... so you are just contradicting yourself.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Honestly, if anyone is really so strapped for cash that they can't pay a measly 15 dollar monthly sub, then they should probably reconsider their priorities.

The ONLY free to play model that I even remotely agree with is EVE Onlines model.  In EVE it's fully EULA legal for anyone to pay me in game currency, goods or services and I pay their sub fee for them.  Quid pro quo.

The freeloader model can take a hike.

Free trials, yes.

Freeloaders, no.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by sweetdigs

So you went with both argument 4 and 1?

All those costs can be paid by both models you are correct, I already told you why P2P is at a disadvantage.

Please don't sound ignorant. How do you know that is a minority? do you have some data to back it up and even if you do what makes it right to alianate the minority? Of course you don't know anyone who can't pay that sub, because in societies people tend to be around their same age group, wealth group, ect...Again guys, NOT EVERYONE has it as good as you do. Please stop coming here and saying that is money everyone should have, it really makes you sound arrogant and ignorant.

i know i dont have good at all...i cannot work at all atm, we have 2 autistic children at home, we re flat broke, everything is tough, but still, if i can allow 20 $ per month for myself to have fun in with all the stuff going lately, hell it'd be on a good mmo.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Cheap players and company...get over yourself. $15 a month is nothing even if you are strapped for cash. If you can't afford 50 cents a day to game you have the wrong hobby. These threads are beyond annoying.
  • Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Again guys, NOT EVERYONE has it as good as you do. Please stop coming here and saying that is money everyone should have, it really makes you sound arrogant and ignorant.

I'm going to apologize before you read the rest, as I don't mean to sound like a jerk... but...

Water, Food, and Shelter are necessities.  Going to Disney Land is a luxury.  Playing an MMO that charges $15, believe it or not, is also a luxury.  I'm sorry, but even when I worked a minimum paying job and did freelance work on the side so I could afford a decent place to live..  I was able to afford a monthly subscription to a video game.

If you can't find $15 in your budget, you're mismanaging your money.. or you need to find a different job.  If it is so tight that you can't find the money, then CU probably isn't the game for you.  There's free alternatives out there.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Honestly, if a game is going to have a subscription, then it needs to have multiple different types.  You can have your standard "complete access" subcription which would allow 24/7 access and you could have your weekend gamer sub which could be cheaper, but only grant access Fri-Sunday.

There is nothing inherently wrong with subscription other than that fact that games CAN be successful without it (as in actually make money and stay afloat).

Dungeons and Dragons Online comes to mind.  Like the game or hate it, Turbine did something right by allows you to purchase content to allow you to have access to everything without a sub, or allow you to sub and have access to everything.

How I would do it

$14.99 - Standard Sub, 24/7 access, full access to all content

$9.99 - Weekend/Holiday Sub: 24/7 Access ONLY during this time, but full access to all content

FREE - 24/7 Access, but limited to certain content. (which can be purchased through in-game shops, or access granted by friends with full access)

IMO of course!

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

Again guys, NOT EVERYONE has it as good as you do. Please stop coming here and saying that is money everyone should have, it really makes you sound arrogant and ignorant.

I'm going to apologize before you read the rest, as I don't mean to sound like a jerk... but...

Water, Food, and Shelter are necessities.  Going to Disney Land is a luxury.  Playing an MMO that charges $15, believe it or not, is also a luxury.  I'm sorry, but even when I worked a minimum paying job and did freelance work on the side so I could afford a decent place to live..  I was able to afford a monthly subscription to a video game.

If you can't find $15 in your budget, you're mismanaging your money.. or you need to find a different job.  If it is so tight that you can't find the money, then CU probably isn't the game for you.  There's free alternatives out there.

One more time....It's not me, Im not the one who can't afford. It's not personal against the game. It's stating that "if I can do it, anyone can"....

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

1. Missed the point completely. Im not saying that if you don't have the money then let them play it anyways. It's the idea that if I have that money everyone else SHOULD also have it. Don't think 15/mo is within reach of everyone.

2. ???

3 & 4. I'm not complaining about the game, Im debating the business model itself. Don't take it personal with the game, although if you believe a list of ideas on a piece of paper stands to deserve anything then so be it but that's a different problem.

1. I didn't also say that 15$ is in reach of everyone. You don't have money. You don't play. You don't work you, you have other real life problems you don't have money and what's more you shouldn't spend your time on games. It's so simple. 15$ might be a lot for some people. But games like that are not for them. They have thousands of free to play games. There they can go.

3&4 What is that problem ? If the ideas on a piece of paper deserve my cash it's good. It's not the problem at all.

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Not going to happen, subsciption fees are already a go my friend and most here agree. There are plenty of free to plays out there for you.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I am going to throw my hat in with the hordes of people that prefer a subscription-based MMO.  I have never liked the feeling that I am being pestered to pay or being tricked into paying or the whole game is just set up to strangle money out of me through walls, limits, and artificial boredom.  I would much rather just pay a subscription and have the dev put out the best product they can.  If that is not working for the company then they may need to resort to a different plan to bring in new players as a last resort.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

He probably has the money to spend on it, but probably wants someone else to play for his game time instead. That's where a lot of these f2p players come from, they just believe that there is always going to be some guy out there that would spend more money in a cash shop and allow them to play for free. They just don't want to pay money to have fun :P

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

I have not read the rest, but if you want a PvP game and not a shop that is P2W then you pretty much have to be sub.  Otherwise they have to put items in the store you want to buy.  In a PvP game that would be stuff to make you better than someone else.

In PvE you can fill the store with fluff and make money...even some speed increase items that do not damage the game as a whole, but unless you can show me items that do not break the game and sell well I do not believe a PvP centeric game can do it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

The niche market this game is aimed at has no issues with paying regular sub fees (even with an initial box price) if it turns out to deliver the gaming experience they've been looking for.

In fact, some of them probably would pay $20 a month if Mark would throw in a once a day automatic I win kill button that they could use on members of their own realm who pissed them off enough.  image

The OP is looking at these games wrong, he is not investing in them, or the characters, he's renting time in the game, much like a cable TV subscription.

Doesn't matter if you've been watching some Showtime feature for years, stop paying the fee and you won't get to watch the program anymore.  Same with MMO's, if you really want access to your characters, pay the toll.

Now, it sounds like they are going to offer tiered subs and that might provide a more limited access for a person like the OP who only perhaps wants to access them on occasion.

I realize that sub games have their share of jerks, but it seems to me that F2P takes a bad situation and just makes it worse, so I'd rather people "invest" in the game by paying the sub fee, whatever it turns out to be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

Personally I like the B2P model.  And games that sell cosmetic items like cool looking mounts etc, get more money out of me.

In a perfect world....

What I really woulkd not mind is to see is an MMO clearing house that charges me a subscription and allows me to play any contracted MMO I wish, when I wish.  But this company has to have contracts with a large stabe of games and all of the AAA's.

And after say a 15% administration fee the clearing house would pay the MMO's based on the players who played it.

Nanulak

• sweetdigssweetdigs Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Kyleran

In fact, some of them probably would pay $20 a month if Mark would throw in a once a day automatic I win kill button that they could use on members of their own realm who pissed them off enough.  image

lol!  Count me in! I'd probably go up to $30/mo just for that alone.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Any PVP game that is 'F2P' will die a horrible death due to cheaters (Look at Planetside2). They will be banned and just create another account. However, if it's a 'B2P' type thing then it offers some deterrence I guess. I'm not saying P2P is a lot better however I'm sure it stops the masses loading up a hack they found on the internet in fear of being banned and having to buy the game again.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')