Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How tolerant are you regarding discussions about real life in voice/in-game chat channels?

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Came up on another thread, thought I'd explore the topic more.

Perhaps it's just my background but I am not very tolerant when people want to discuss real world subjects in voice chats or in game chat channels.  Goes back to my early days of DAOC when I used to be in a role playing guild (Shadowclan) that forbid any OOC (out of context?) chat in any public channel.

Or perhaps the too many times I saw guilds in my DAOC/WOW days destroyed by unnecessary real world drama including online dating issues and other useless personality clashes.

The thing I really abhor are people who get on chat and have to tell you in detail how high/drunk/horny they are..  Shut up and get the hell out of my game is what I say to myself. (and sometimes to them as well).

Other bad subjects of course, religion, politics, sports and personal feelings.

Seriously folks, IMO, focus on the darn game, or matters concerning the game, and keep the other stuff off in some off topic chat channel for those who prefer that sort of thing. I've been in guilds that have exactly this, private channels for those types of discussions, always a great idea except some folks fail to understand the concept and flood the general chat with nonsense.

Look, I'm really not in your guild to be your close friend, we have one primary common interest, we play the same game together and hopefully we have the same goals in terms of accomplishing things in it.  I don't care much about your personal life/problems/interests (and I'm sure you don't care much about mine) and while I don't mind you mentioning you had a hard day at work, don't drone on and on about it or how much it sucks, just move on and get back to gaming related subjects.

BTW, this doesn't mean I'm some sort of anti-social person, I'm really not, but I do not wish to share the personal details/interests of everyone's lives, just don't have the time for it.  Let's just stick to the gaming and we'll all get along. image

Yeah, feeling snarky today so thought I'd toss this out there to see if I'm the only social reject in the MMORPG.com forums.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Totally agree. This is why I limit my vent/mumble usage to when it is necessary for battle tactics. And even then it's still unavoidable.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I report anyone who says any real life threat. However, innocent talk, is fine in my book.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    It's what drove me to solo play more than all other things combined.  Chit chat is annoying to me (Introvert).  Now planning and battle tactics is great.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    As long as it's not interrupting a current group activity and I'm not expected to join in with my real life details then I don't care.Inbetween times peopel can discuss what they want and I'll chime in if I'm intersted or not,just like real life.If I don't like the discussion or the people I can move channel or mute them.I really don't see an issue here/
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Agreed on this one.

In general chat I expect to see game-related subjects and not someones personal real life problems/issues or whatever. Simply dont care..

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Unless you have a medical reason or a personality not suited for such things (examples: you're an introvert or you suffer from autism or something like that) being intolerant of how other people talk when it is not insulting towards you in an objective way in a game is... stupid?

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

It's not really an issue for me as I'm usually not paying attention to other people too much anyway :)  Whatever personal thing I was told is likely forgotten about in 30 seconds. 

Now this may mean I am a dispassionate apathetic person about my  fellow gamers in games, but oh well.  I'm playing to be entertained, listening to someone's life problems is not entertaining, it defeats the pupose of the activity and becomes too much like RL> 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Perhaps it's just my background but I am not very tolerant when people want to discuss real world subjects in voice chats or in game chat channels.  Goes back to my early days of DAOC when I used to be in a role playing guild (Shadowclan) that forbid any OOC (out of context?) chat in any public channel.

Or perhaps the too many times I saw guilds in my DAOC/WOW days destroyed by unnecessary real world drama including online dating issues and other useless personality clashes.

The thing I really abhor are people who get on chat and have to tell you in detail how high/drunk/horny they are..  Shut up and get the hell out of my game is what I say to myself. (and sometimes to them as well).

Other bad subjects of course, religion, politics, sports and personal feelings.

Seriously folks, IMO, focus on the darn game, or matters concerning the game, and keep the other stuff off in some off topic chat channel for those who prefer that sort of thing. I've been in guilds that have exactly this, private channels for those types of discussions, always a great idea except some folks fail to understand the concept and flood the general chat with nonsense.

Look, I'm really not in your guild to be your close friend, we have one primary common interest, we play the same game together and hopefully we have the same goals in terms of accomplishing things in it.  I don't care much about your personal life/problems/interests (and I'm sure you don't care much about mine) and while I don't mind you mentioning you had a hard day at work, don't drone on and on about it or how much it sucks, just move on and get back to gaming related subjects.

BTW, this doesn't mean I'm some sort of anti-social person, I'm really not, but I do not wish to share the personal details/interests of everyone's lives, just don't have the time for it.  Let's just stick to the gaming and we'll all get along. image

Yeah, feeling snarky today so thought I'd toss this out there to see if I'm the only social reject in the MMORPG.com forums.

I think there's a time and a place for both serious gaming chat and OOC mindless chat but more importantly, I would like to give you some serious respect points for using the word "abhor" in a post. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I prefer people save the chit chat and such with actual friends and family. I don't want to hear about your doctors visit unless we are friends. I don't care how your date went, I don't care about your sexual preference, I don't care about your sex, race, creed, color, nationality, medical conditions, how your day was, what you ate for dinner, who won the superbowl, what award you got, who's mom you banged or who banged your mom, or any of that crap if we aren't actually friends. 

If someone is sneaking up behind me, I want to hear about it. If you just got your nails done at this new place, well I don't care. 

I guess you could say I'm fairly intolerant. In game, I'd rather discuss the game. 

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

I really don't see a problem here. We can learn a lot if we open up to one another. Now, there is a time and place for such discussions of course. 

If your problem is people then remove yourself from the guild/group and surround yourself with more like-minded individuals. Its simple, really

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    I don't mid as long as people aren't having a whinny pity party.  Then it's STFU time

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

I agree with the OP almost completely.  I make the rare exception for someone who seems to click with me and becomes an especially close adventuring partner.   

While I'm not a hardcore roleplayer, I have roleplayed in several MMOs and preferred that style of communication.  When I'm in game I'm more or less that character or am myself in a sense inside the game world.  I restrict most of my responses in chat to the task at hand. 

Good thread by the way.  I like the way you approached it.  I myself am tired of so many drunk derps yelling about football scores or losing their virginity.  Although I was guilty of the same when I exclaimed to the entire EQOA community that I was about to get laid for the first time lol (operation was successful by the way...and no wasn't the last time).  I've since matured and spare the ears of all my fellow gamers.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I'm like the OP mostly. If in game, I prefer converstations to mostly stay on topic of the game. 5%-40% of chat being off topic lollygagging shenanigans is acceptable (less so if voice). If that is all I hear in the time I'm playing, I'm not not going to be pleased and will have to start muting.

You aren't a social reject image you just like to stay focused.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

It depends on how long I've known the person.  I've been in corps / guilds with some people for years.  Naturally you run out pure gaming conversation after a while.  In those cases I don't mind talking about work,  spouses, children, etc.  On the other hand, there's a lot of players who think they're your best friend after playing one game with them.  They're our future stalkers, I avoid them at all costs.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't use them.

I play to get a pleasant break from reality, not to hear other people's RL crap.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Perhaps it's just my background but I am not very tolerant when people want to discuss real world subjects in voice chats or in game chat channels

In the middle of a raid (or somesuch srs bzns), you mean?

Depends a lot on the group's motivator/cat herder. The bigger the event, the more likely it is to descend into uncontrolled chatter...and by extension, the less tolerant the driver of the bus can be with it. Grioup size 5 or 10? Chatter pretty harmless, and therefor a non-issue. Group size larger? Uh, someone better be putting his foot down.

If no srs bzns is happening...you're just being an asocial grump, lighten up Francis. :)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Does not bother me in the least and if it does meaning too heavy stuff I get off vent or don't read the chat. Everyone including myself has a right to talk and say things as long as they are not outside the rules of chat meaning general chat channel on use of profanity and such. I used to since Everquest days deal with drama so am used to it in games. I mean such bad drama as people getting divorced in guildchat so it really is not something I get my knickers in a twist about and besides I share stuff when others ask too so am guilty too so how can I get on a high horse now ?

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

Just depends on what it is.  Remember when Chuck Norris jokes were popular?  Trade chat was lousy with that crap.  Now that is annoying.  If a bunch of people are talking about things they find interesting though I couldn't care less.  I do wish there was a politics and religion filter though :) 

Bottom line is, if I don't like what I am seeing or hearing there are ways to avoid it.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I do not object to any OOC chat in any chat channel, be it guild or world or voice.  But, it gets problematic when people speak about interpersonal relations, religion and politics; since I'm always right, it gets tough listening to wrong opinions. :-)

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

However terrible this sounds, I rarely get involved in guild/clan voice chat unless it's southerners and midwesterners. While they will say some of the craziest and most off color stuff sometimes, they seem to have a certain level of social ettiquette that most others lack. They don't seem to get into politics and religion in mixed company. They also seem to 'feel out the crowd' when it comes to sex related comments and set the bar high enough to be shockingly entertaining but not too high as to offend the others in voice chat.  That bar always seems to be a moving target, shifting based on who comes and goes in chat. :)

With text chat, if it goes off in a direction I don't care for, it's easy enough for me to switch channels so it never really bothers me there.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by bliss14

Just depends on what it is.  Remember when Chuck Norris jokes were popular?  Trade chat was lousy with that crap.  Now that is annoying.  If a bunch of people are talking about things they find interesting though I couldn't care less.  I do wish there was a politics and religion filter though :) 

Bottom line is, if I don't like what I am seeing or hearing there are ways to avoid it.

A cobra bit Chuck Norris once, after 10 days of intense agony the cobra died.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

IMHO, Global chat is the cancer of MMORPG's... it completely breaks immersion and is more or less filled bullshit the likes of 4chan.

This especially holds true on RP servers which are completely unmoderated and devolve quickly to the same barrens chat we've all come to abhor.

Vent, mumble etc... well that a completey different show and is really up to your clan executives to dictate that policy... If you have a special general room where you can talk about whatever thats fine... but I personally hate shit that breaks immersion.

Perhaps I am just one of those crotchity old bastids yellin at the kids to get off my lawn...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Wighty

IMHO, Global chat is the cancer of MMORPG's... it completely breaks immersion and is more or less filled bullshit the likes of 4chan.

This especially holds true on RP servers which are completely unmoderated and devolve quickly to the same barrens chat we've all come to abhor.

Vent, mumble etc... well that a completey different show and is really up to your clan executives to dictate that policy... If you have a special general room where you can talk about whatever thats fine... but I personally hate shit that breaks immersion.

Perhaps I am just one of those crotchity old bastids yellin at the kids to get off my lawn...

-his tengu moves into geosync orbit above your location in-game- want me to break it from orbit with nukes? :D god... dude... it's everyone's choice what to do, I get you want to RP and there are places to do that but to quality of RP these days has gone down the shitter, there has been more than one NWN 1 persistent server that has gone down in flames after the RP went to The Twilight Saga Zone ( I know one particularly horrific story of one such server where a part of the GMs turned into vampire lords... cue Hellsing anime level vampire on human wars and actual in-game cyber orgies... yeah... it went from bad to worse to are you kidding me? XD )

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

etc

For the most part I agre. It depends on who they are. I have been playing with a small group of people over the years and I don't mind hearing about their lives, I think we've become actual friends over the years as much as one can over the interwebz. I even meet one of them (who is "related" to the others one way or another) for drinks when he is in town.

Having said that, if it's a large general clan chat with people who don't really know you well, I would say I agree to everything you said.

I don't want to hear about how drunk you are, don't mind if you swear though, don't want to hear how you are out of a job and yet you are playing video games and spending money in them yet you are worried about your finances (that actually happened to me once and I tried to give "advice" but you can lead a horse to water...)

And the thing is, I'm an extrovert so it's not like I have problems talking with total strangers. I just think you should "know your audience".

This is not to say I'm going to go balistic and if someone gets on vent and really needs advice or an ear to listen, I'll do it, but I do believe there is a time and a place.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    I totally agree Kyle, I'm in game to play a game not talk about righting the worlds wrongs or slagging off other MMO players (I can do that here image) So I avoid VC as much as I can and I tell guild leaders this when I join, but of course I'll use VC in dungeons and PvP as its a great tool for that. I type fast so I'll do that I'm not playing an MMO to make lifelong friends I'm there to play with others and enjoy the unique gaming experience MMO's provide.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.