Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Securing the Isle

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, World of Warcraft was updated with The Thunder King content expansion with an impressive array of new features, quests, dailies and more. We've got a few thoughts to share about what we think of The Thunder King so keep reading and then let us know what you think in the comments.

I first want to point out that I rarely preview content on the PTR so my experience in Patch 5.2 is very fresh. The only time I really check out PTR’s is to look at UI updates because I find that kind of thing very fascinating. In terms of actual gameplay and story content, I try to hold off until it hits the live servers so the first time experience is more impactful. That being said, I decided to use my Horde character on my first outing to the Isle of Thunder. 

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: Securing the Isle.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I like this patch, as it gives you plenty to do.  Also, I'm a big fan of dinosaurs, and you can go to the Isle of Giants and get dinosaur pets as a hunter, or 4 of the new companion dinosaurs that are like baby Oondastas.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Unless WoW ever adds housing, I could care less about it.
  • popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58

I stopped playing WoW after WotLK and get my MMO kicks playing Rift now.  Even if I wanted to play WoW again, the game is so big now that I'd feel lost trying to make my way to 90... assuming I wanted to reinvest all that time to get there.

Does WoW appeal to new players, or is it just a case of keeping their many subscribers playing with new content?

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Ahn Qiraj server effort was outstanding

The way they are doing it for this is one of the biggest disappointments in the history of the game.  There is no clear indication of how you help progress (give me things to turn in instead of just doing dailies, which arent even repeatable if I want to put in a big effort) and they have it normalized so all the servers are close together anyway.

AQ took a big server wide effort, this is just something that can be ignored, especially since most will be doing the dialies anyway

Speaking of dailies, where the patch shines is in maing dailies unnecessary for the older MoP factions.  The new Warbringer nameds drop BoA faction tokens so you can just collect those (as well as use farm work orders and dungeon/scenario runs) instead of doing those ultra annoying ShadoPan dailies.  

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    most of their changes is just that, to appeal to new players. they streamlined leveling so leveling 1-90 is easy as shit. to easy if you ask me but the real game in WoW was always at the end game so that's negligible.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    most of their changes is just that, to appeal to new players. they streamlined leveling so leveling 1-90 is easy as shit. to easy if you ask me but the real game in WoW was always at the end game so that's negligible.

The 1-60 zones are mostly great fun playing through.  For instance Eastern Plaguelands has some top notch story telling.  60-90 is nowhere near as good though, mainly because you remain in the same zone a little too long.  they wear out their welcome.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by popezaphod

I stopped playing WoW after WotLK and get my MMO kicks playing Rift now.  Even if I wanted to play WoW again, the game is so big now that I'd feel lost trying to make my way to 90... assuming I wanted to reinvest all that time to get there.

Does WoW appeal to new players, or is it just a case of keeping their many subscribers playing with new content?

i don't know how much it appeals to new mmo players.  but they have made a concerted effort for it too.  they redid the vanilla zones a while back.  updating the graphics and questing experience.  so to your question,  i think both.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

After trying Neverwinter I had an urge to go back to WoW. So I did..

Neverwinter was that bad...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • YazeedYazeed Member Posts: 29
    Such a nice patch ... i been lvling 2 characters after MoP and i can tell u this ... this game is still fun and active ..
  • dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Too bad ive been too late to the WoW craze. I started with SWTOR and then went straight to TERA and others and after trying WoW the other day, it just feels slow to me. Pandaria felt better but the mechanics are outdated imho
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by popezaphod

u can play the entire thing while sitting in town

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Unless WoW ever adds housing, I could care less about it.

Seeing as no one visits the old areas except for leveling up the ywould be prime real estate to add open world housing.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Vannor

Hardly!  Neverwinter is the game that WoW wishes it could be.  Neverwinter offers so much more in terms of combat that WoW will never be able to deliver on.

Dragon fights at level 35:  http://www.twitch.tv/casimyroverride/c/2010812

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Vannor

Hardly!  Neverwinter is the game that WoW wishes it could be.  Neverwinter offers so much more in terms of combat that WoW will never be able to deliver on.

Dragon fights at level 35:  http://www.twitch.tv/casimyroverride/c/2010812

I'm glad you enjoy Neverwinter but to me it's total junkware. I wanted to like it, trust me I really did.. But I didn't. It just reminded me how good the WoW model is. The only difference I see in that video is that you don't select targets the same way as WoW and newer (but still way behind the times) graphics over WoW, everything else from the mechanics to the length of the battle is the same as WoW and any game in that style.. Sorry, not convinced.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This game is still blow away better than all other games and they just keep making it new and interesting all the time. Day one on the isle, the guild and I marched all over and then we hung out on the alliance ship, we are all horde. It was a nice warm welcome for all of alliance players who just logged and picked up "call of thunder" and then powned once again. They should have seen it coming from a mile away. Then we raided stormwind and killed the king 5 days in a row :-) For the Horde!!!