Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laughable DRM Sim City 5

Comments

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Originally posted by Quailman
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Nethkhar

Originally posted by Aori I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.
    If I buy the game then download a pirated copy so I can play it offline, would that still make me a scumbag? 

Yes. Still illegal to hack exe's....

Oh bullshit. He paid for the game, he should be able to play it however he wants, whether the company that made it wants him to or not. As long as he's not freely distributing the game, he's not doing anything wrong.

I think legally, he didn't buy the game per se. He just bought a temporary access to the Sim City server, which may be suspended or even terminated at EA sole discretion, according to the EULA if you have read it.

Some people fail to understand that the only thing they bay is the plastic that is the disk, and/or the registration key that is essentially a proof of purchase. Everything else is the property of EA

And some people fail to understand how ridiculous that is. I can't believe there are consumers out there that actually think it's okay that we only "lease" games. When I buy a game, it's mine. I wil do whatever I want with it, barring sharing it to the public or getting profit from the publishers/developers work. Whatever I choose to do with it for personal use is my business, and I really don't care what you or any EULA has to say about it.

And that is exactly why we have DRM. 

And that is exactly why publishers are going to lose more and more money, and piracy is going to continue to rise.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Oh bullshit. He paid for the game, he should be able to play it however he wants, whether the company that made it wants him to or not. As long as he's not freely distributing the game, he's not doing anything wrong.

I think legally, he didn't buy the game per se. He just bought a temporary access to the Sim City server, which may be suspended or even terminated at EA sole discretion, according to the EULA if you have read it.

Some people fail to understand that the only thing they bay is the plastic that is the disk, and/or the registration key that is essentially a proof of purchase. Everything else is the property of EA

And some people fail to understand how ridiculous that is. I can't believe there are consumers out there that actually think it's okay that we only "lease" games. When I buy a game, it's mine. I wil do whatever I want with it, barring sharing it to the public or getting profit from the publishers/developers work. Whatever I choose to do with it for personal use is my business, and I really don't care what you or any EULA has to say about it.

Legally, when you buy a game like Sim City, its not yours. You do not own anything. You have gained a temporary access to the software and/or game servers, which at the sole discretion of EA, can be terminated.

Whether its right or wrong is a different matter. Your opinion only counts how you behave as a customer. If you bought it, you have no right to bitch about it. And as a matter of fact, I haven't bought Sim City and dont intend to do so until it's DRM free.

REALITY CHECK

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Legally, when you buy a game like Sim City, its not yours. You do not own anything. You have gained a temporary access to the software and/or game servers, which at the sole discretion of EA, can be terminated.

Whether its right or wrong is a different matter. Your opinion only counts how you behave as a customer. If you bought it, you have no right to bitch about it. And as a matter of fact, I haven't bought Sim City and dont intend to do so until it's DRM free.

Err no.

The EU supreme court said otherwise just last year. ;)

Even download buy = legal owner with rights to resell.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Elikal

Err no.

If EA was a european company, then that would be true, however its not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah but the customers are in Europe.
    However, if youre really set on buying the game, I'm sure EA would sell it to you for $150M if youre lucky.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Err no.

How much is EA paying you... now honestly... cause if we split hairs like this EA with its current European law breaking should not be allowed to publish in Europe, any company that does so should be banned from selling their wares if said wares somehow go against the laws of said region.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Uhwop

It's been a pain to play, but holy crap it's an awesome game. 

I can suffer through the release pains, very worth it. 

Exactly^

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

Err no.

Any company that wishes to do business within a certain country, must comply with that country's consumer laws. EA is no exception.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

Err no.

Any company that wishes to do business within a certain country, must comply with that country's consumer laws. EA is no exception.

Sure, enforce it then. If they had the balls, they would, but they love ther money too much, so tough luck with that.

Err no.

Sure, enforce it then. If they had the balls, they would, but they love ther money too much, so tough luck with that.

You really wanna see how fast politicians switch sides? all it really needs is a few dozen maybe a few hundred people from Europe to demand refunds and if not take their money back via the banks and if EA does anything sue the bastards. The politicians will then side with their voters not a dying publisher who's grasping at straws.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hmm I think Microsoft have more money than ea. Doesnt stop the du hitting them with numerous anti trust rulings.

Err no.

So, you think that the EU does not enforce it's consumer laws? Is that what you're saying?

Consume. Be silent. Die.

I'd shit myself laughing if a hacker group like Anon or Lulzsec takes down the EA servers =)) they'd be dead and nailed to a cross.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

When EQ first came out, I bought it because I liked RPG's. Then I discovered that you HAD to be logged in to play it, and I returned it for a refund LOL

Probably good in the end, I started playing DAOC after deciding I would play online.

But I will never buy a single player game that requires you to be logged in. SimCity type games are what I play when I'm OFFLINE, like on a plane.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Err no.

So, you think that the EU does not enforce it's consumer laws? Is that what you're saying?

Didnt stop EA from publishing their game, did they? You know why? Cuz either there is no violation, or they dont care to enforce it.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    people seem to be missing that point that the online requirement for SimCity 5 isnt just for DRM purposes, in fact, DRM is on the minor side of the online functionality of SimCity 5, in this game you city takes is place in a persistant world doe sit not, which is able to interact with other people cities? i for one think thats awesome, however EA did a very poor job of preparing for the loads.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

Err no.

Didnt stop EA from publishing their game, did they? You know why? Cuz either there is no violation, or they dont care to enforce it.

Or they are not aware of it yet... I wonder what would happen if people filled lawsuits against EA :-?

Originally posted by ianicus

people seem to be missing that point that the online requirement for SimCity 5 isnt just for DRM purposes, in fact, DRM is on the minor side of the online functionality of SimCity 5, in this game you city takes is place in a persistant world doe sit not, which is able to interact with other people cities? i for one think thats awesome, however EA did a very poor job of preparing for the loads.

Agreed 

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Well, it could also be a modern strategy of a lot of large corporations.

If you break the law you will make 1 million dollars extra profit.

If you get caught you will pay a penalty of 5000 dollars.

So, if the object of your business is to maximize profits, would you:

a.  NOT make a million  dollars and feel like a proud law-abiding company?

- or -

b. Make a million dollars and pay a nominal fine.

*numbers solely for sake of example

This is exactly what is happening on Wall Street after the fallout from the financial disaster they constructed.

They are being prosecuted and fined for their crimes which amount to chump change compared to what they made off of their fraud.

Therefore, they are continuing to break the law, but adding a line item to the plan to pay for the fine they may or may not incur for doing so. And hey, its good business sense, right? They make more money than anyone could spend in a lifetime or two or three and all it costs is the price of a ticket marked 'fine for fraud' - that and the economic stability of the planet.

Hopefully the EU has a more effective justice system than what is happening here.

Originally posted by Dihoru

Err no.

Or they are not aware of it yet... I wonder what would happen if people filled lawsuits against EA :-?

I dont think so. There are litterally thousands of big name games published in EU, and you know what happened, nothing. 

Err no.

EA published their game because they are complying with the consumer laws at this point. There's no law against DRM. The law that Elikal is talking about gives consumers the right to resell their game, whether it is in physical or digital form. I'm sure EA has thought of that though, since in order to sell Sim City, you'd have to sell your whole Origin account.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

Err no.

EA published their game because they are complying with the consumer laws at this point. There's no law against DRM. The law that Elikal is talking about gives consumers the right to resell their game, whether it is in physical or digital form. I'm sure EA has thought of that though, since in order to sell Sim City, you'd have to sell your whole Origin account.

Now I see, the law only states that the consumer can transfer ownership to someone else, however in this case the ownership is only limited to the physical media and the license for the game. That still does not mean you own the game itself and can do anything you want to it. 

Err no.

Now I see, the law only states that the consumer can transfer ownership to someone else, however in this case the ownership is only limited to the physical media and the license for the game. That still does not mean you own the game itself and can do anything you want to it. 

Correct. I'm still gonna do whatever I want to the game to get it to run how I want, though (not this game specifically, I'm not buying this game). It hurts absolutely no one, since I don't share games. The fact that there are some people that think it's somehow wrong to alter a game for personal use is absurd. That's like telling me I can't modify my car unless done by the manufacturer.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Buttom line for me is: Sim City 5 is nothing but an elaborate Farmville. You constantly play online, you get a small piece of land, you need help and cooperation with others and you have a continually growing shop to alyways buy new shiny extras.

EA just wanted to be the new Zynga. And those kids who grew up with shitty Facebook games think that is normal. Welcome to the Generation Facebook. Even when Sim City 5 works, the details I see in the reviews are anything else but stellar. Busses which are stuck, disasters which destroy your city for no reason (without fallback savegame) and legions of other stuff beyond this enforced online crap.

Sim City 5 is the new Farmville and EA the new Zynga.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert