Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Petition - ADD follow command

PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103

Please have a follow command where a player can follow anyone on his faction side.  This allows many players to enjoy the game by staying with a partner in combat in Player versus Environment (PvE) or Player versus Player (PvP).  Please do NOT make the mistake that some other MMO's have been making by not including this option.

By having this option in the game, the play style is open for many different types of players as well as those that don't care to use it.

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    I think they should not add follow command, because AFK, botting and multiboxing aren't desirable playing styles.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Vrika
    I think they should not add follow command. Because AFK, botting and multiboxing aren't really desirable playing styles.

I have never been fine with taking away things from players because a small % use them for bad things. My wife often goes AFK to pee while she /follows me to where ever we are going. I think ESO staff can come up with better ways to stop botting, as I have seen games without follow still have bots following. 

/signed, I want /follow command!

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I would hate to be leading a group of PUGs in AvA, walk into a battle only to find the mindless drones are all on follow. image

Getting random pugs to listen is hard enough, don't make it even easier for them.

It would be nice in PvE when I have to leave to go afk real quick.

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I think they should not add follow command. Because AFK, botting and multiboxing aren't really desirable playing styles.

As seen in all major MMO's today, a follow command has nothing to do with AFKers or botters.  That's the mistake that many developers have made recently in some recent MMOs released last year.  Those MMOs were filled with bots even though there was no follow command.  The reason is because bots follow a path determined by the bot program, that is, there is no player at the keyboard.  Combatting bots is an entirely different subject which has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an MMO should have a follow command.  

I plead with the game makers to NOT MAKE the same mistake recent game developers have made because of a badly informed player base.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I think they should not add follow command, because AFK, botting and multiboxing aren't desirable playing styles.

Nothing wrong with two-boxing, i've two boxed in every MMO i've played but then it's always been PVE. I'm going to make a Khajiit male and female brother and sister on day of release for RP. There will be a follow feature especially if you are in the same group.

Two-boxing in windows mode without any third parties is how i do it, running to clients on my one system.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    As long as it's disabled in PvP I have no problem with it. Too many people will just auto-follow the zerg and soak up points while AFK. In a capacity limited battleground/warzone/faction battle, that is not okay.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Many different types of players

E.g. buff bots, multi boxers, people paying farmers to level them

NO THANKS
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Many different types of players

E.g. buff bots, multi boxers, people paying farmers to level them

NO THANKS

That wont stop them, look at GW2 that removed the follow command and they still botted more then any MMO I have seen. /follow only helps players who play the game.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I have never been fine with taking away things from players because a small % use them for bad things. My wife often goes AFK to pee while she /follows me to where ever we are going. I think ESO staff can come up with better ways to stop botting, as I have seen games without follow still have bots following. 

I'm ready to change my opinion a bit: Maybe they should add a follow command that would work max. 5 minutes and have 30 minute cooldown.

But aside from allowing people to take short breaks, I think follow command is bad for the game. People should not be given tools to be less attentive while playing.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I have never seen a great reason for /follow.  So I vote no.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Same, it promotes lazyness and on top of that it's abused way to much. 

On the other hand I do enjoy screwing with people that auto follow me. Was extremely fun in FFXI. Someone decides to go afk and auto follow me to town, take them to an a group of mobs and change gear (You blink when you change gear in FFXI) and watch them go running into them and die lol. 

In any case I vote no. Theres not a good arguement for it. It's a luxury and nothing more. It's not needed in any way shape or form and can be abused on top of simply being annoying. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

On the other hand I do enjoy screwing with people that auto follow me. Was extremely fun in FFXI. Someone decides to go afk and auto follow me to town, take them to an a group of mobs and change gear (You blink when you change gear in FFXI) and watch them go running into them and die lol. 

In any case I vote no. Theres not a good arguement for it. It's a luxury and nothing more. It's not needed in any way shape or form and can be abused on top of simply being annoying. 

It's a good tool to use as melee against kiters in PVP. Many including myself used it to great effect against riflemen, pistoleers and bh's  in SWG, I actually had it in one of my Macro's. follow, burst run, then one hand lunge was the exact macro. Never had a problem with ranged classes using it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by waynejr2

You never had to go to the bathroom while you and a buddy were running from Freeport to Qeynos in EQ.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Distopia

It's a good tool to use as melee against kiters in PVP. Many including myself used it to great effect against riflemen, pistoleers and bh's  in SWG, I actually had it in one of my Macro's. follow, burst run, then one hand lunge was the exact macro. Never had a problem with ranged classes using it.

SWG let's you autofollow enemy pvp opponents? That seems wrong philosophically speaking. Or at least a good explination why I sucked.

So you admit to abusing it? 

Prime example of why it shouldn't be included lol. 

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    And please add God mode, so i can't die. And please enable cheating like in single player games.  Follow command is must because i wan't somebody to follow me. For example if i see some asocial player  and he doesen't want to help me in some hard questing i type follow and he must  help me or i never let him go with command unfollow

using a mechnic = abusing a mechanic? I could have always just let the rifleman rape my mind pool I suppose.

Originally posted by Zorgo

SWG let's you autofollow enemy pvp opponents? That seems wrong philosophically speaking. Or at least a good explination why I sucked.

Ya I agree, as much as I want a /follow command, I dont want oen in PvP. That should be about skill not macros. As for /follow in PvE, to all the people saying no, I hope you get every small bladdered player and forced to take many AFK breaks if we get no follow command. Sorry RL happens between Pee breaks and kids falling out of bed and /follow command keeps teams going. If a small population abuses this, the majority should not be punished.

using a mechnic = abusing a mechanic? I could have always just let the rifleman rape my mind pool I suppose.

Using a mechanic in an way thats unintended is abusing a mechanic, yes. I mean, how much different is auto follow for a melee chasing down a ranged character to someone in an FPS using auto aim? 

Originally posted by Zorgo

Yes it did let you, there was a lot of CC as well as DOT's to worry about in PVP-- IE applying fire blankets, poison cures, using stims to heal, all the while trying to dish out more damage than your opponent. Add to that posture changing attacks (if you're standing they make you kneel, etc..), no form of snare/root on ranged abilities, ranged classes clould be extremely dangerous given the right skill loudout/equipment.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294

Or, you could just wait the 45 seconds it takes your wife to take a piss.

Who would have thought?

Originally posted by AZHokie54

Who would have thought?

Naaa, rather have follow. Lifes to short and full of waiting. When I log in I want to have fun and if you think it takes 45 seconds for a wife to pee I know your not married. I also forgot to list, when the kid falls out of bed, when the in laws call, when your team mate has a knock at the door. All the short RL stuff, why keep taking AFK breaks when that 1 team mate can /follow for a few min and deal with it. I get so little time to game I want to get the most out of what I can.

Using a mechanic in an way thats unintended is abusing a mechanic, yes. I mean, how much different is auto follow for a melee chasing down a ranged character to someone in an FPS using auto aim? 

Who's to judge what the intention of that mechanic was? DId you play SWG pre-cu, PVP was a choatic mess when it came to all of the factors you were facing, macro's and tactics were extremely important due to how many things of the micro-management variety a player had to deal with. This is just thinking in terms of a one on one fight.

I used the follow command so i could focus on healing all the dots, sustaining through CC'd moments which fire-blankets and poison cures were extremely important, holding out that pixie use until the last second before my mind gave out. While trying to lunge attack the kiter, and kd-dizzy them, switching weapons and armor (mostly helms) was another area where focus had to be, I only have two hands.

Originally posted by AZHokie54

Who would have thought?

Naaa, rather have follow. Lifes to short and full of waiting. When I log in I want to have fun and if you think it takes 45 seconds for a wife to pee I know your not married. I also forgot to list, when the kid falls out of bed, when the in laws call, when your team mate has a knock at the door. All the short RL stuff, why keep taking AFK breaks when that 1 team mate can /follow for a few min and deal with it. I get so little time to game I want to get the most out of what I can.

If you are AFK auto following you aren't really getting anything out of the game. In any case, like I said. It's a luxury that everyone can live without. It simply isn't needed. For me it's not worth adding something like that since it can be abused and used to aggrivate and annoy. 

But I guess we are simply going to differ in opinion on it. You vote yes, I vote no.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I also hope it doesn't support bloody macros.
This discussion has been closed.