Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8.42 rating? Based on what?

I am interested to hear from the rest of the MMORPG community on the subject of Camelot Unchained rating of 8.42.  How exactly are they rating a game this high when there is nothing other than a teaser trailer (showing no game what so ever) to go by?

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    its based on hype level of interest on this site. Mark Jacobs is posting almost daily on this site on the forums and keeping the game top interest over most other games. For awhile it was number 1 and 2 but is falling down a bit more lately. The game doesnt have a review , its just how much people post about it and how many topics are created about it.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Some people obviously feel that idea's alone are enough to start the Hype train rolling.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Rating say nothing its fans who click on like thats all don't see to much in this hype meter its just filling home page thats all:)

Many high rated games have failed btw, thats why its meaningless number.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You have to take any review of a unreleased or newly released game with a grain of salt. They are usually guesses and hype.

That doesnt mean the game will suck, I honestly have no clue about that yet.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i remember when people were leaving in droves from SWTOR and the game was sinking so fast it wasnt funny but the shear amount of negative posts kept the game as number 1 for so many weeks it was funny as hell.
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

This is, what this site is about:

Getting overly excited about an upcoming MMO and checking the forums daily to get every tiny bit of new information.

-> Hype

I never understood the criticism of hype, it always has appeared to me like somebody traveling to Hawaii for vacation and then while lying at the beach starting to complain: "There is so much sand, and so much wind, and it is so hot, and the water is so cold!"

Moreover,

yes, exactly - the best thing about this site is the fact, that we get information directly from the developers (forum posts, podcasts, etc.). Although they obviously use this platform for cheap advertising, it is still interesting and fun.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I guess it's because there are still a few people left who believe the hype.

But don't worry, they'll learn eventually...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Siecefire
    I am interested to hear from the rest of the MMORPG community on the subject of Camelot Unchained rating of 8.42.  How exactly are they rating a game this high when there is nothing other than a teaser trailer (showing no game what so ever) to go by?

They are not rating the game.. the are rating how interested they are in it... the hype

Myself I really really like what the guy is saying about the game every blog he posts up is basically maknig me want the game more and more..  a lto of other people want this type of game as well.. so the hype is high..

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

In the vacum of whats supposedly meant to be good MMORPG's people see this kind of projects as a beacon of life ^^

I myself have becoma a cynic. So even if its tempting to belive some people will make a game as good as Asherons call 1, Shadowbane, DAoC etc as an AAA title nowadays, i wont.

I will never belive it before im atleast 50 hours gameplay in and ive hardly sleept because its that cool.

And that just wont happen. Ever. Again.

So to answer your question: Those ratings are made by unrealistic optimist's. ;) 

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Funny how many people are hyping this game, while at the same time bashing ESO for having a PVP system similar to DAoC.
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

I think a lot of people are chasing the 'what will be our next great game hype' frankly kinda reminds me of an addict chasing that first MMO fealing again. I think some of these people genuenly want something innovative to come out and save them, and that is fine cause i am not thrilled with the vast majority of themepark clones out there, but i also think there are some people that cannot admit that no MMo out there is every really gonna make them happy again, and they are just chasing one hyped up game after another only to find dissapointment when the game does not live up to that hype.

Then the cycle repeates itself over and over again.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    It's rated that high using the same means that the 2012 game of the year used, and nobody ever played that one either. 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

wow the same guy that mislead many people with Warhammer, strikes again and people fall for it twice.

MMO gamers must really be fools after all.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

It's because the rating system on this site is ... how to put this politely ... not really well designed.

The simple fact that fans and hyped up people will rate a game they like but never ever bother to rate any game they not interested in makes these rating completely useless.

Just ask yourself: "How many games have you rated on this site you did not like or did not care about?" Add to that the games you never even heard about.

The easiest way is to ignore the ratings completely.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

That's pretty much the definition of how hype works.  This site is a catalyst for garnering interest for games.  People hear something they like about a particular game (ie. the simple fact that a developer is actively communicating with players at all), they look up the game and give it an upvote.  

The number itself is meaningless though.  It's more for fun than anything.  It's when people take those numbers way too seriously and start making threads about them that issues arise.  

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Its unique IP address hits on mmorpg.com that look up info on said game. So its where the traffic is going on mmorpg.com.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

Some people obviously feel that idea's alone are enough to start the Hype train rolling.

yea, that's the basic idea behind a "hype". shocking. i know.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    It's called hype, everyone seem to think it will be DAoC improved. I personally doubt it, probably it will lend a lot of aspect from WoW as that is what most mainstream MMOs do these days.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Yamota
    It's called hype, everyone seem to think it will be DAoC improved. I personally doubt it, probably it will lend a lot of aspect from WoW as that is what most mainstream MMOs do these days.

Everyone is so fast to play the WoW card. CU will be a small MMO thats focus will be a RvR style map. Its like taking DAoC and removing 75% of the game and giving PvP fans the 25% of DAoC that they loved. For me, its not enough of a MMO to be on my radar but for people who want a Battleground and not much more, this will be their game. For me I will play ESO as it will have AvA (what they call RvR) and it will also have all the other stuff that makes a full scale MMO. I am sure CU will do what it does well and will have its small place in the world of MMOs.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

CHOOOOO CHOOOOO

All aboard the hype train!

Next stop: Disappointment.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Salio69

CHOOOOO CHOOOOO

All aboard the hype train!

Next stop: Disappointment.

lol

can I have lasers on my train to fight off monsters in the land of Disappointment?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    effective marketing campaign leading up to a kickstarter campaign.

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
     How exactly are they rating a game

i think game developer paying money and they rating a game with its amount

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

The only people rating the game are those sold on it's marketing.The rest of us are waiting to some concrete evidence of the games mechanics and engine so are reserving judgement or will never bother to rate the game at all as it is a meaningless number as others have said.

I get hype.I put money behind Wasteland 2 and Torment :Tides of Numenara based only on the lead designer,my love of the original Wasteland(which I still paly occasionally on a dos emulator) and wanting some old school CRPG action as opposed to the 3rd Person shooter/Fighters with RPG elements that CRPGs have become(Legend of Grimrock is satisfying that right now).

That gamble seems to be paying off from the latest footage of Wasteland 2 but I'm unwilling to take that gamble on a MMORPG personally,I tihnk it's a much riskier proposition.

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    effective marketing campaign leading up to a kickstarter campaign.

This.

This discussion has been closed.