Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is way too casual for me

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by pointchiz

<>

<>

wow 600 times you must have upwards of 2k hours into this game i'd say its take to give it a good rest for awhile.. these types of games aren't meant to be life replacements

1 fractal dungeon including Jade Maw counts as 4. With a solid group we completed an entire fractal in under 20 minutes.

so what themepark MMO does the most elite of the elite find challenging then?

None unfortunately.

Funny you mention themepark. I do keep a lookout for sandbox MMOs marketed to a mature hardcore audience. Hopefully we'll get a studio that doesn't want to target everyone and thier dog with a T rating.

figured as much.. but try out what i said above.. go to orr and round up a group of 20+ mobs and see how well you fair.. hell throw in a champion while you at it since you find everything so mind numbingly easy... compared to most other themepark MMOs gw2 pve is hardly a cake walk. 

You're fighting a losing battle.  Players have come into every MMO in the history of the world's forums to belittle the game's content, calling it any variety of "dumbed down," "boring," "simplistic," "carebear," or "casual."  The hope is that doing so thereby elevates the poster to some superior status above all the lowly drones who indulge in the game he just criticized.  There's no quick point you can make that's going to make him stop believing he's a god amongst men.  

Many better examples of difficult pve content in games more difficult than GW2 have been put forth, and they've just as easily been met with empty answers like "lol, right.  Pressing 1-4 repeatedly is hard," which of course completely fail to accurately represent how combat is actually played in the respective game.  You can't expect to actually make him reconsider, especially using GW2 as the counter example, which admittedly lacks a tier of difficulty that players find themselve fighting ferociously to progress through.  

i get that.. my point is perspective.. when you compare gw2 pve content against many other MMOs it is actually a bit more difficult overall.. enemies hit harder, have more hp, use more forms of cc, numerous champions will one shot with any attack, one shot traps.. ect ect sure its not like dark souls challenging but compared to other games it does offer a good bit of challenge for this genre.. my example I showed above with Rift i could AOE level with several characters just pulling as many mobs as I could see and blow them up with hardly a scratch on me... gw2 this would not be possible especially in the higher zones(in which my example in Rift was the highest level zone at the time)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

<>

<>

wow 600 times you must have upwards of 2k hours into this game i'd say its take to give it a good rest for awhile.. these types of games aren't meant to be life replacements

1 fractal dungeon including Jade Maw counts as 4. With a solid group we completed an entire fractal in under 20 minutes.

None unfortunately.

Funny you mention themepark. I do keep a lookout for sandbox MMOs marketed to a mature hardcore audience. Hopefully we'll get a studio that doesn't want to target everyone and thier dog with a T rating.

figured as much.. but try out what i said above.. go to orr and round up a group of 20+ mobs and see how well you fair.. hell throw in a champion while you at it since you find everything so mind numbingly easy... compared to most other themepark MMOs gw2 pve is hardly a cake walk. 

You're fighting a losing battle.  Players have come into every MMO in the history of the world's forums to belittle the game's content, calling it any variety of "dumbed down," "boring," "simplistic," "carebear," or "casual."  The hope is that doing so thereby elevates the poster to some superior status above all the lowly drones who indulge in the game he just criticized.  There's no quick point you can make that's going to make him stop believing he's a god amongst men.  

Many better examples of difficult pve content in games more difficult than GW2 have been put forth, and they've just as easily been met with empty answers like "lol, right.  Pressing 1-4 repeatedly is hard," which of course completely fail to accurately represent how combat is actually played in the respective game.  You can't expect to actually make him reconsider, especially using GW2 as the counter example, which admittedly lacks a tier of difficulty that players find themselve fighting ferociously to progress through.  

I must say I agree with this though.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

I had great expectations for GW2; unfortunately this game is taking casual gameplay to the extreme. Nothing is even remotely challenging.

I cannot tolerate culling and lag so WvWvW is out of the question. The downed state lowers the skill cieling in sPVP too much. What I mean by that is 1 player cannot defeat 2 or 3 players in a 1v2 or 1v3 situation. I got to Fractals 40+.... yawn...

Explorable dungeons are very poorly designed. They're easy and unrewarding too. The open world PVE is so mind numbing that you can auto attack any NPC to death; even those world event dragon bosses. I feel like I'm losing IQ and becoming stupid the more I play this game.

I was wondering if any people were like me; frustrated by how easy the PVE is and how bad the PVP feels?

Agreed.

I already sold my account with 1550 hours played and 2 legendaries crafted after I realised all this and I am glad I did :) When I announced my guild that I am leaving the game they understood me very well, gw2 is not about progression, grind, etc.. Its just about a simple ''fun''. GW2 is the game for casuals .. thats not mmoprg i am looking for :/

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Go ahead and put me in the can not play it section!

I have 6 level 80 chars and find higher level pve too much of a drain (and very little reward1) to bother doing, and as for dungeons, forget it, I am never going to be hard core enough to call these anything but patheticly hard. So, not being able to do dungeons, I will never get any good armor and thus never go to pvp, not that pvp is playable anyway with the other players apearing out of nowhere and killing you before you can react! I havnt played for a couple of days and the withdrawal symptoms are going away!

For those that say the game is too easy, this is not the game for them, go elsewhere! For the rest of us, please make the game playable!

1. the reward system is not worth the effort as when you do get a better quality item from a drop, it is usually for another class of char and thus not worth anything except what you can sell it for!

Originally posted by zastroph

Go ahead and put me in the can not play it section!

I have 6 level 80 chars and find higher level pve too much of a drain (and very little reward1) to bother doing, and as for dungeons, forget it, I am never going to be hard core enough to call these anything but patheticly hard. So, not being able to do dungeons, I will never get any good armor and thus never go to pvp, not that pvp is playable anyway with the other players apearing out of nowhere and killing you before you can react! I havnt played for a couple of days and the withdrawal symptoms are going away!

For those that say the game is too easy, this is not the game for them, go elsewhere! For the rest of us, please make the game playable!

1. the reward system is not worth the effort as when you do get a better quality item from a drop, it is usually for another class of char and thus not worth anything except what you can sell it for!

mindnumbingly easy and pathetically hard... no wonder devs can't balance anything out... 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    The problem as I see it is that there are some people who just spend too much time playing these games. There's a real world out there...go out and explore it.
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    The problem as I see it is that there are some people who just spend too much time playing these games. There's a real world out there...go out and explore it.

haha i can agree with that.. or just play other games.. hell i'm a big fan of gw2 but only have 2 80s and 450 hours /age since launch.. i can't imagine how some people have 1500 hours + in this game already.. any game I did that in that fast  i'd be bored i like to mix it up and play several games at once.. enjoying tomb raider right now(great game imho)

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

I had great expectations for GW2; unfortunately this game is taking casual gameplay to the extreme. Nothing is even remotely challenging.

I cannot tolerate culling and lag so WvWvW is out of the question. The downed state lowers the skill cieling in sPVP too much. What I mean by that is 1 player cannot defeat 2 or 3 players in a 1v2 or 1v3 situation. I got to Fractals 40+.... yawn...

Explorable dungeons are very poorly designed. They're easy and unrewarding too. The open world PVE is so mind numbing that you can auto attack any NPC to death; even those world event dragon bosses. I feel like I'm losing IQ and becoming stupid the more I play this game.

I was wondering if any people were like me; frustrated by how easy the PVE is and how bad the PVP feels?

Agreed.

I already sold my account with 1550 hours played and 2 legendaries crafted after I realised all this and I am glad I did :) When I announced my guild that I am leaving the game they understood me very well, gw2 is not about progression, grind, etc.. Its just about a simple ''fun''. GW2 is the game for casuals .. thats not mmoprg i am looking for :/

Took you 1550 hours to realize that, Jesus Christ. image

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• badgerAlumbadgerAlum Member Posts: 27

Agreed.

I can understand your opinion.  Mine happens to be the exact opposite - after years of gaming and now having a family, the ONLY thing I look for in a game is "fun".  I get paid to do a job, when I get home I'm done with work.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by issling

You may flame me and I may be a dinosaur, but I am sadden by the current state of this genere. So to stay on topic what truly is the point of this game? It is so boring and Does anybody really feel connected to the game world, you can port to other citys within five minutes of being in the game world the first time you play. I know I am on a losing side when it comes to this, but I have been out with friends and have maybe had one or two to many:) 

You're are not wrong man, not at all. I blame the player for the most part. Not all the way, but for the most. I could never understand why a gamer would what to play a game  for "free." If the game is worth your time it's worth your money. Yet many still feel they are wronged if they are charged. Thus the "free to play" system. 

What I've found recently is that if the game is good enough, I can stomach it. I want good developers to make money. I've come to terms with it, as long as it doesn't effect my game play.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

GW2 PvE was probably the biggest joke I ever experienced, at the time I got 80 fractals wasn't out and Arah was apparently the hardest dungeon, I did 3 of the 4 paths my first day at 80...

So what do I progress towards now? WvW... alright, my guild and friends claimed a base, we guarded it and fully upgraded it, k, that was easy, now were bored, I did SPvP for two weeks then quit.

Boring, casual, no progression, doesnt feel like an MMO.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by issling
    [mod edit]

I think you are very mistaken here. This game is at the other end of the cash shop spectrum. What is it you are buying that is making you feel this way?

Also, what company doesn't sit down in a meeting room to discuss making money? Somehow they have to pay bills and feed their families. 

edit:sp

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by badgerAlum

I can understand your opinion.  Mine happens to be the exact opposite - after years of gaming and now having a family, the ONLY thing I look for in a game is "fun".  I get paid to do a job, when I get home I'm done with work.

same.. also way to many games out now to be locked down to one game for thousands of hours.. i like a good variety and gw2 offers me some good fun and I play several other games as well.. don't feel i need every MMO to suck my life away where I feel i need to spend every waking hour playing just to keep up with my guild.. glad gw2 isn't like that.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Agreed.

Yup, you got it right: GW2 is about having FUN and not WORK.

Its absurd really. i mean "people used to pay 60+15/month to work. And now they can have fun....for free. OMG! how could they do this? This game suxxorz...its about.....fun! FUN! WHere is this world going now that people play MMOs for FUN! The genre is RUINED."

OTOH, I always said id welcome them to work for me. Ill even make em WORK HARDER! :) And ill even raise the sub the harder i make them work lol

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by mikahr

Its absurd really. i mean "people used to pay 60+15/month to work. And now they can have fun....for free. OMG! how could they do this? This game suxxorz...its about.....fun! FUN! WHere is this world going now that people play MMOs for FUN! The genre is RUINED."

OTOH, I always said id welcome them to work for me. Ill even make em WORK HARDER! :) And ill even raise the sub the harder i make them work lol

You know, you use exactly the same arguments as those you are attacking. Everyone is free to judge games and pretty much anything by their own will. Someone wants to have fun in MMORPG. Someone wants to work towards something in MMORPG. Why to punish people, because their idea of fun is "hard work and progression"? I can understand those people even if I'm not like that...

I'd like to use similar approach from real life. You can earn money by using your wits or body. You can also earn your money by winning a lottery (and you may earn much more money than hard working guy). There are people that would LOVE to win a lottery and they dream about it. I'm from people, that would hate it, cause I want things I really earned in my life, not things that were simply given to me.

So leave people to their own opinions. None of them are really wrong, they are just different and if your opinion is opposite, learn to tolerate others. By tolerating other's people opinions you can actually learn something. For example, that hard, tedious and grindy work can actually be fun for someone.

Edit: stupid typos

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

Agreed.

So I have to get this straight, it took you 1550 hours of "fun" to come to a realization that you don't want to have "fun" in a game, or atleast in an MMO.  Also as a side note, to you and the OP, maybe what you really want is a 4X game? 

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Kaleston

You know, you use exactly the same arguments as those you are attacking. Everyone is free to judge games and pretty much anything by their own will. Someone wants to have fun in MMORPG. Someone wants to work towards something in MMORPG. Why to punish people, because their idea of fun is "hard work and progression"? I can understand those people even if I'm not like that...

I'd like to use similar approach from real life. You can earn money by using your wits or body. You can also earn your money by winning a lottery (and you may earn much more money than hard working guy). There are people that would LOVE to win a lottery and they dream about it. I'm from people, that would hate it, cause I want things I really earned in my life, not things that were simply given to me.

So leave people to their own opinions. None of them are really wrong, they are just different and if your opinion is opposite, learn to tolerate others. By tolerating other's people opinions you can actually learn something. For example, that hard, tedious and grindy work can actually be fun for someone.

Yes, because EVERYONE loves that grind to get to cap. You know that level where you're told that's where the REAL game begins. So all that grinding to get there that you did before? That was not really playing the game, that was that hard work and tedium that all people desire in their life, it doesn't make you want to kill yourself at all.

Also you're wrong about the lottery, you have to pay for that ticket, so the money wasn't given to them. I also have to understand you here. So if you won the lottery, and had the money to do what you wanted with, money that you would have tried to amass through hard work, you would be completely unhappy even though the result is the same?

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

Originally posted by Kaleston

Have you really compared "hard work" in MMO to hard work in RL?

Yes you did.

And then you proceed to wonder why is it absurd.

And yes, gosh, there IS such thing as wrong opinion and no i dont have to tolerate it.

Originally posted by mistersalty1
    [mod edit]

There was and still is no commercial, ad, or promotion that said it was the "next big thing". The game was simply developed and released as a casual title. Folks that are still playing love it for what it offers and that is the freedom to leave, and then jump back in at any time and pick up where they left off. 

It's sad that folks need to call a group of people that like something they don't names. I'm not sure insulting folks will get you any points on this fourm...I believe it's against the Rules of Conduct.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Yes you did.

And yes, gosh, there IS such thing as wrong opinion and no i dont have to tolerate it.

Didn't you compare work in game to work in RL (for you) in your original post, too? And actually sure, I did. Do you remember those chinese farmers? It is very real work for them... Not sure if hard, but that's very subjective. And I remember very well, when guild become competitive, you WORK HARD to down that boss (sitting at computer playing nonstop for 16 hours at weekend with many more hours to actually prepare for this session is hard work in my book).

Wrong and right... I'll sound very old now. It is wrong to kill a cow in India. It is wrong to snort loudly in public in Japan. It is not wrong in some muslim countries to kill woman that cheated on husband. So yeah... wrong and right are not black and white by any means... But if you want to continue to live in your safe space of black and white, I can tolerate you, even if I feel a bit sorry for you for this ilusion of "freedom". But yeah, life is much easier that way.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Well there's your problem! lol

Why would you buy a game and stand in one spot? The game is huge and diverse. 

You also described every mmorpg on the market! They all have tens of thousands of "faceroll" monsters. If they didn't, we would just stand in one spot. /shrug

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

<>

<>

None unfortunately.

This!!! 110% agree. 

Originally posted by Amjoco
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Well there's your problem! lol

Why would you buy a game and stand in one spot? The game is huge and diverse. 

You also described every mmorpg on the market! They all have tens of thousands of "faceroll" monsters. If they didn't, we would just stand in one spot. /shrug

Dont think you understood.

GW2 can become one of those "uber MMOs".

just do these:

- raise HP/damage of regular monsters so you need 5 other people to kill one (challenge of course stays the same)

- make damage unavoidable so you remove all skill from the fight and gimp classes so one class can ONLY do 1 thing (tank/dps/heal/buff/debuff/CC)

- make each monster give 0,0001% XP and remove XP from everything else in game of course

- make drops in range of 0,1-0,0000000000000000001 %

- make you lose 150% of current level xp on death and preferrably break gear that is pain to get in the first place

- make dungeon progression so you have to do AC min 150 times so you can "progress" (gear wise of course) to CM that you have to repeat at least 150 times so you can "progress" to TA.....rinse/repeat for all the instances to top level fractals...then add dragon events....after you done endless farming of dungeons....do shatterer 150 times just to be able to do tecuhatl 150 times....to be able to do jormag. Of course, every dragon spawns only once a week and only 1 small selfish group that manages to win game of  "tag teh dragon" can do it.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by RizelStar

Took you 1550 hours to realize that, Jesus Christ. image

Sadly .. I thought Legendaries will make me somehow stay ingame, sadly no.

I even leveled 7x lvl 80 which is really bad because in every other mmorpg I played in past 10 years I had NO urges to play or level up to max more than one or two characters in years. This proves how fast you get bored in gw2 with your character, even in my guild everyone had several 80lvl characters ...

Yes you did.

Yes he did and hes right.

MMORPGs were always about progression and grind/farm and upgrading/maxxing out your character.

More grind, more hard and more time consuming it is to max out your character in mmorpg then better. We dont play mmorpgs for simple fun, they are supposed to simulate real life in fantasy/scifi scenarion, if i wanted to play game for simple and easy fun, I have sc2, dota 2 and single player games. Why would I play mmorpgs where everyone has the same gear without any effort, to find a friends, communicate with them tru chat? LOL

This discussion has been closed.