Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats your overal score?

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

6/10 - which is good, but not great.

It's hard to give it more than that because I've only been to Level 10 (in each of the two weekends so far), I haven't seen the Foundry, and Cryptic hasn't had a chance to cut that score in half by doing a bunch of "class balancing" for the PvP whiners.

The game is much more stable this time around, though there are more visible bugs, but nothing too serious.

The strength of this game is going to be using the Foundry to create a series of areas and dungeons (a campaign) for specific group of players (or type of group). Everything right now is created for the least common denominator, so a lot of us are sleep-walking through the content; but I got just a taste of the challenge this game could be. I grouped with a Rogue to do the Many-Arrows Orcs quests, and it was tough with just the two of us! We really needed a healer.

So, while I don't think it's at all absurd to judge a game based on its performance or appearance in Beta, I don't think we have access to the best experience this game has to offer.  Again, that experience is probably not an "MMO" experience.

• Monstre0auSMonstre0auS Member Posts: 46

$0.02...

First, to address all the people that have commented on 'How much do you expect to change between this beta and launch!?', my answer to that is, 'Probably a lot'. I played the first closed beta weekend, this is my second, and between those two weekends they've added content (two full quest arcs, with animations and story/lore in between) and slowed down the pace of levelling (first beta weekend was ridiculous, you did a single story quest, bam, levelled, killed a couple mobs, bam, another level!). So, what do I score it on the possibility of the game getting a lot better? A tentative and hopeful 8/10.

I like the direction of the games development, and having already paid $60, would consider donating more of my funds through micro-transaction to continue to help development of the title.

As for everything else, what do I score this game?

On the whole, the game is an enjoyable action based mmo with rpg elements (YES! RPG ELEMENTS!) that allows you to have a D&D based experience for free. What is that judging panel, that scores a nice and well deserved 8/10? I couldn't agree more! Anyone who thinks this game is anything below a 6/10, I'm going to call bias, anyone hovering between the 6-9/10 range I'm going to consider their arguments, and anyone who scores 10/10 is either being paid or just a love-lorn fanboy.

In summation: the game isn't perfect. But you're not paying for it to be, so unless you're personally paying for something, shut up and enjoy your free sweet roll.

If you have paid for this game, and you did so with rose coloured goggles and are now a jaded monster seeking vengeance, ask politely for a refund and make a concise and succinct arguement why, without the emotional melodrama this forum appears to contain so much of.

If like me you've paid for the game and genuinely enjoy it for what it is, help support it by spreading the word on the games positives, I would love to see this game grow! And all of that, is upto you.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    As a first impression its gets an 8 out of 10 for me. This is the free to play game that I have been waiting on.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Monstre0auS

$0.02...

First, to address all the people that have commented on 'How much do you expect to change between this beta and launch!?', my answer to that is, 'Probably a lot'. I played the first closed beta weekend, this is my second, and between those two weekends they've added content (two full quest arcs, with animations and story/lore in between) and slowed down the pace of levelling (first beta weekend was ridiculous, you did a single story quest, bam, levelled, killed a couple mobs, bam, another level!). So, what do I score it on the possibility of the game getting a lot better? A tentative and hopeful 8/10.

I like the direction of the games development, and having already paid $60, would consider donating more of my funds through micro-transaction to continue to help development of the title.

On the whole, the game is an enjoyable action based mmo with rpg elements (YES! RPG ELEMENTS!) that allows you to have a D&D based experience for free. What is that judging panel, that scores a nice and well deserved 8/10? I couldn't agree more! Anyone who thinks this game is anything below a 6/10, I'm going to call bias, anyone hovering between the 6-9/10 range I'm going to consider their arguments, and anyone who scores 10/10 is either being paid or just a love-lorn fanboy.

In summation: the game isn't perfect. But you're not paying for it to be, so unless you're personally paying for something, shut up and enjoy your free sweet roll.

If you have paid for this game, and you did so with rose coloured goggles and are now a jaded monster seeking vengeance, ask politely for a refund and make a concise and succinct arguement why, without the emotional melodrama this forum appears to contain so much of.

If like me you've paid for the game and genuinely enjoy it for what it is, help support it by spreading the word on the games positives, I would love to see this game grow! And all of that, is upto you.

Admittedly, the reason for that happened is because most quests are not yet implemented, so they needed people to still be able to level to try out the content and encounter bugs to report, give feedback, etc.

The final version of the game will definitely contain many more side quests than it does now, and it will have an even slower leveling pace. 

What they need to fix is really those animations that are off and the voiceovers in the cutscenes. The rest, things like the graphic style, the rooting while casting etc, is a design choice. They just need to make it work and honestly, to me, it works.

One big flaw that I'm not too happy about is the number of classes, but hopefully that'll get fixed soon. I disagree with others that seem to think that you have no power to customize your character. As soon as you get to level 15-20 you start notcing the many options and forking paths that open before you. Even the gemming/enchanting of your gear can make two characterrs of the same class into completely different creatures.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

I'm a dungeon crawler in any MMO, and I really liked how the did it. They all looked different and pretty. I was searching for loot in every corner, and rewarded.

I can see myself killing some time with friends (if i ever find some) in the dungeon delves and possibly creating some content myself.

What I didn't like was the 'quest log', generic story and hand-holding.

edit: it's too early to give it a rating for me. that said I'm not expecting a 'WoW killer!!11', just a bit of fun and if I like it I'll support it by using the cash shop.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by Nicksino999
    Will there be a character wipe or not?

why do people still ask this...99% of betas have character wipes..only recent one i think of is Path of Exiles, but its no an MMO.

Because its a valid question. Some have wipes and some dont even in the closed phase. If you would think before you posted you would see that you are saying the same thing in your reply.

List 10 major AAA mmorpgs that did not do a character wipe.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I am not going to give it a number but a different kind of rating:  The more you liked DDO the more likely you would like neverwinter.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    I am not going to give it a number but a different kind of rating:  The more you liked DDO the more likely you would like neverwinter.

I used to really like DDO but it really went down the shitter last year. I check the forums every once in a while but it looks like it's only getting worse. I haven't logged on in ages now. On the contrary I am loving Neverwinter so far. Because they chose not to start with a borked D20 system that will never work in an MMO environment they don't have to make bizarre alterations to make it playable. 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

5/10 for me as well.

It has the same old been there/done that themepark feel for me.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

Originally posted by Monstre0auS

$0.02...

Admittedly, the reason for that happened is because most quests are not yet implemented, so they needed people to still be able to level to try out the content and encounter bugs to report, give feedback, etc. <- This I knew.

The final version of the game will definitely contain many more side quests than it does now, and it will have an even slower leveling pace. <- This I was hopeful for, as I hadn't read up much about it on the NWO forums.

What they need to fix is really those animations that are off and the voiceovers in the cutscenes. The rest, things like the graphic style, the rooting while casting etc, is a design choice. They just need to make it work and honestly, to me, it works. <- This I sort've agree with, animation wise the Tiefling is cool though. ;-)

One big flaw that I'm not too happy about is the number of classes, but hopefully that'll get fixed soon. I disagree with others that seem to think that you have no power to customize your character. As soon as you get to level 15-20 you start notcing the many options and forking paths that open before you. Even the gemming/enchanting of your gear can make two characterrs of the same class into completely different creatures.

Red: There are source files in the game atm for a few more classes which have been semi-confirmed-announced for not long after launch, including a Warlock and a Ranger (more likely a 2 bladed, not the archer kind unfortunately), so yes, there is definately more coming - However, 5 classes with no racial lockouts at launch, with the Guardian fighter having two paragons, the cleric having paragon, the Control wiz and rogue both having paragons, it's still more like several as opposed to 5 true classes... (I make the same distinction with WoWs druid, it's more like three classes in one as opposed to one)

Blue: I'm glad you brought this up! People appear to forget the importance of skill, feats and gemming in this game, which will help decide the overall 'feel' and effectiveness of your class.

Green: I disagree! I actually hated DDO in the end, because by the time my friend and I hit level 20, ran into a raid/dungeon with a group of about 20 other players, it felt like my character wasn't even there... We just ended up zerging the final boss and I didn't have time to actually appreciate the gameplay or style...

Neverwinter hasn't had that feel with me yet. But I stress the term 'yet', as I only reached level 30 in Beta Weekend 1, so considerably far away from end-game content experience to truly comment.

• GressGress Member Posts: 12
    Just killing time till eso....need something but this wont last, combat is fun and some cool dungeon bosses but everything else is meh.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I give it the lowest score because I don't want to play it based on the current state even considering it's offering a lot for free.

Unless I see some evidence of dramatic changes to the game on forums such as this, I probably won't check it out again.

It may come across as hate.. but I didn't want to dislike this game. It's a shame it didn't like up to anywhere near my expectations.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

why do people still ask this...99% of betas have character wipes..only recent one i think of is Path of Exiles, but its no an MMO.

Because its a valid question. Some have wipes and some dont even in the closed phase. If you would think before you posted you would see that you are saying the same thing in your reply.

That has nonthing to do with what I asked and my questions answer has been found.

Stop sending me private messeges. image

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

2/10. The graphics are mediocre at best, the animations are lackluster, the environments are boring, the character models are horrifically bad, the engine is a resource hog, the voice acting is laughable, the setting is garbage, and the ruleset I've already made my feelings quite clear on in several other threads.

There's just nothing enjoyable about this game.

This weekend was my first chance to play the game. I was so disappointed. I really wanted to like this game, but I have to agree. The graphics are pretty terrible, especially the character models and animations. The art has no real style to it. It's very bland and generic. 

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Ill give it 5/10 and Im being generous here. All my playtime in beta I tried to find a single thing that I actually liked. And I couldnt. Everything felt so bland, secondary and half-cooked.

Whats your score?

I'll go for 3/10, and the three points are solely for the Foundry.  I played one mission that actually felt somewhat like a D&D tabletop session, but the rest of the game just ruins it for me.  Wizards of the Coast needs to be far more picky with regards to who they license their IP to.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    for me if a game plays horrible, i hate the look, it doesn't grab me out the gate i probably won't put much time into it(just too many games out their right now).. having said that aside from some minor quirks like the running animations, character models, and rooting i don't have any major issues with neverwinter as all i expected was a dungeon crawler with a creation tool.. i have limited time with the tool and well see how it turns out overall but for me the game rests on how much I enjoy making my own content.. anything else is just extra..

So The Foundry isn't available for this beta test?

Goddammit...

...or is it just limited or that people simply haven't the time to really utilize it yet?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    for me if a game plays horrible, i hate the look, it doesn't grab me out the gate i probably won't put much time into it(just too many games out their right now).. having said that aside from some minor quirks like the running animations, character models, and rooting i don't have any major issues with neverwinter as all i expected was a dungeon crawler with a creation tool.. i have limited time with the tool and well see how it turns out overall but for me the game rests on how much I enjoy making my own content.. anything else is just extra..

So The Foundry isn't available for this beta test?

Goddammit...

...or is it just limited or that people simply haven't the time to really utilize it yet?

nope possibly next one.. or try to get into alpha its available to us there

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

nope possibly next one.. or try to get into alpha its available to us there

Drat

Oh well...thanks for the info.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

Age of Wushu. 

Yep, Age Of Wushu did not have a wipe. I was there.image

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Almost all the original games developed in English have wipes after close beta. Most have wipes in between close beta sessions, and many have wipes after or inbetween open beta.

Only games which are translated and not developed usually do not have wipes. This is because the beta for translating already developed game is different than a game which has not been developed elsewhere and is being developed fr first time.

I bet the chinese localization of Neverwinter will not have much wipes in their beta because by ten english game would already have been developed and tested in English.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

3/10

boring, classes are lame and uninspiring, with the future looking like pay for classes.  The engine is bad, the world is lifeless. I couldnt play it longer then 2 hrs.  

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

caveat: I did not have my own account and was only able to leech off a friends access for about half of Sunday.

Overall - 5/10

The lack of choices and customization was the real killer for me. I liked tabletop 3.5 and regularly play DDO and so know just how mant directions things could go. We never adopted 4.0 rules and beyond.

NWO was just so confining and restrictive that there was little to no real choices. Sure they prevent you from making a mistake, but instead make everyone a cookie cutter cut out. 

My second point was that the gameplay felt like just another twitchy ARPG, and not MMO-like at all. Almost felt like a Diablo/Torchlight spinoff. And while I enjoy Path of Exile for that style of play, it is NOT what I expect from D&D.

The graphics were mostly good, but the animations and effects went way way too far into the "OOOOoooh SHINY!" for my tastes. A more restrained look would hav been more appreciated. Again, not Bad, just not to my liking at all.

Still a beta, sure. But from what I saw, there was little to nothing to hold and keep people after the first month. The Forge/Foundry(sic) might do the trick. But if the system is weak or lacking at its core, dressing it up in a new suit with each player dungeon will only hold and fool people just so long. I will keep an eye on NWO, but nothing I saw today makes me want to play it.

Say what you will about Neverwinter. It has some awesome moments. (If this doesn't like properly, I'll try another way. First time trying to do something like this.)