Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laughable DRM Sim City 5

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Kaerigan
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Quailman Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Nethkhar Originally posted by Aori I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.
    If I buy the game then download a pirated copy so I can play it offline, would that still make me a scumbag? 
      Yes. Still illegal to hack exe's....
    Oh bullshit. He paid for the game, he should be able to play it however he wants, whether the company that made it wants him to or not. As long as he's not freely distributing the game, he's not doing anything wrong.
      As a student programmer, It annoys me that people think they can: hack, crack, manipulate or Reverse engineer my software because it is apparently "Theres" now they bought it. If i need to sell 1000 units to keep my lights on, But i only sell 50% because just 1 person decided it would be fun to hack, and upload the software how is that fair? Wheres the incentive to make good sofware?
    If you've already sold it, what does it matter to you if your customer messes around with it? Just because one messes with something one has purchased doesn't automatically mean they'll upload it to some torrent website or something...

I'm a student programmer, too, by the way. Not that that would lend any weight to what I'm saying.

Because its well within my rights to maintain the integrity of my software? especially If its a networked enabled application.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Quailman

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by Nethkhar

Originally posted by Aori I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.
    If I buy the game then download a pirated copy so I can play it offline, would that still make me a scumbag? 
    Oh bullshit. He paid for the game, he should be able to play it however he wants, whether the company that made it wants him to or not. As long as he's not freely distributing the game, he's not doing anything wrong.
      As a student programmer, It annoys me that people think they can: hack, crack, manipulate or Reverse engineer my software because it is apparently "Theres" now they bought it. If i need to sell 1000 units to keep my lights on, But i only sell 50% because just 1 person decided it would be fun to hack, and upload the software how is that fair? Wheres the incentive to make good sofware?
    I agree that it sucks to have your software ripped off, and people that download your product for no other reason but to just have it for free are scumbags. Most of those people probably wouldn't have bought your product anyway though, so you're not necessarily losing all that much in the end (obviously debatable). If you put out a product worth buying, people will purchase it and support you. If you put out a garbage product, or one that has crazy DRM or other ways of screwing the consumer, much less people will be inclined to pay for it.

I hear what your saying, But i have a firm belief that if its hard to pirate, People will buy legit. (assuming the software is good)

Here's a genuine question, What is an acceptable level of anti piracy systems?

I'm sure people will say "its going to happen anyway why bother" But the fact is there needs to be some level of protection or difficulty, Or otherwise people are going to walk all over you.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NethkharNethkhar Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Aori I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.

As a student programmer, It annoys me that people think they can: hack, crack, manipulate or Reverse engineer my software because it is apparently "Theres" now they bought it.

If i need to sell 1000 units to keep my lights on, But i only sell 50% because just 1 person decided it would be fun to hack, and upload the software how is that fair?

Wheres the incentive to make good sofware?

I don't think I can hack crack anything and in my comment I'd be one of the 1000 units you'd need to sell because I would've bought your software. I'm not your problem.

Piracy is a problem, agreed, but there are many facets to the issue. It's not just about scumbags wanting stuff for free. Supposing you only sold 500 units but then one of those people hacked it and uploaded it then suddenely you sold the other 500 from people who'd downloaded it liked it and bought it. Would they be scumbags? That hacker had helped you meet your quota.   I'm not condoning piracy I'm just trying to point out that it's a very grey area it's not black and white.

The incentive to make good software comes from the fact that if you do, people will buy it. Most people will buy stuff they want, but assuming that everyone connected to the internet is a thief and freeloader alienates you from your customers.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

I agree that it sucks to have your software ripped off, and people that download your product for no other reason but to just have it for free are scumbags. Most of those people probably wouldn't have bought your product anyway though, so you're not necessarily losing all that much in the end (obviously debatable). If you put out a product worth buying, people will purchase it and support you. If you put out a garbage product, or one that has crazy DRM or other ways of screwing the consumer, much less people will be inclined to pay for it.

I hear what your saying, But i have a firm belief that if its hard to pirate, People will buy legit. (assuming the software is good)

Here's a genuine question, What is an acceptable level of anti piracy systems?

I'm sure people will say "its going to happen anyway why bother" But the fact is there needs to be some level of protection or difficulty, Or otherwise people are going to walk all over you.

Well, for me personally, I won't support any current anti-piracy system that goes beyond what Steam does (I will NEVER purchase a game that forces me to be online to play the single player modes). You want me to activate my product online? Sure, as long as I don't have to stay online to use it. Now, when I say I won't support that product, I simply mean I won't purchase it or even give it a second look. I'm not gonna go pirate it, I'll just write it off.

Honestly, I am a firm believer that if your product is good enough, people will purchase it even if it's readily available for free on one of the many software pirating sites. I remember a statement from one of the Witcher 2 devs saying that the Steam version, the DRM version, was pirated more than the non DRM version. Now CDProjekt RED are working on The Witcher 3. If they thought piracy was such a big issue, why would they continue making games for the PC?

In some ways DRM seems counter productive, as it just pisses people off and makes them want to steal your product.

EDIT: In my wording above, it looks like I'm implying that CDProjekt RED doesn't consider piracy an issue. They obviously do, as they made requests to known pirates of their game to kindly pay them for it (interesting approach). But they still stand firm in their no DRM stance, as they know it can make a big hassle for legitimate users. Paying customers should not be punished for the acts of thieves.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

Well, for me personally, I won't support any current anti-piracy system that goes beyond what Steam does (I will NEVER purchase a game that forces me to be online to play the single player modes). You want me to activate my product online? Sure, as long as I don't have to stay online to use it. Now, when I say I won't support that product, I simply mean I won't purchase it or even give it a second look. I'm not gonna go pirate it, I'll just write it off.

That's basically my thoughts. I don't like platform limiting drm systems personally and never will implement that in my in devours...

However, I might hate companies for putting in 'extreme drm' but i can understand when there working on multi-million dollar projects.

Honestly, I am a firm believer that if your product is good enough, people will purchase it even if it's readily available for free on one of the many software pirating sites.

I agree Most people buy. But then again Some people still pirate skyrim...

Interesting thing about Skyrim is people are forced to go legit if they want the latest features/mods to work due to patches. which i think is a good system.

That's basically my thoughts. I don't like platform limiting drm systems personally and never will implement that in my in devours...

However, I might hate companies for putting in 'extreme drm' but i can understand when there working on multi-million dollar projects.

Honestly, I am a firm believer that if your product is good enough, people will purchase it even if it's readily available for free on one of the many software pirating sites.

Interesting thing about Skyrim is people are forced to buy if they want the latest features/mods to work due to patches. which i think is a good system.

I agree, Skyrim seems to have a decent system set up. And just for the record: I am not in favor of piracy. I just believe that people should be able to do what is necessary to get their products in working order, and they should be able to do what they want with said product, as long as it's strictly for PERSONAL use.

I think that both sides, the company that institutes ridiculous DRM, and those that pirate to get free products, are at fault here, and they are equally to blame.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

Can't say I'm very much suprised. Don't very much care as Maxis lost me as a customer back when they released the ridiculously content gutted, yet mysteriously still full priced The Sims 3.

However I do have to ask how this kind of so called protection saves these companies any money. Sure they will probably stop people from pirating their game, but what about the added development cost of extra personnel to create and maintain the servers, which will have to continue to be maintained the entire lifespan of the game, and the inevitable flood of angry support tickets and calls the support staff have to handle when things like the server queues happen.

In my personal experience people who pirate affordable items such as games and music never intended to become a customer in the first place so these DRM measures do not effect them. Sadly however actual customers who feel they are being asked to jump through pointless hoops to play a game they've already payed for have a high potential to become ex-customers.

That is kind of ridiculous. There's a reason it's being stolen, and that reason is not because people don't want it. They steal it so they don't have to pay for it, as well as, they steal it because they want it bad enough to take that risk.

I'm not siding with DRM here, I'm just sick of hearing this old excuse aimed at rationalizing theft by data pirates.

I carry the belief that DRM is akin to cutting off the nose to spite the face. Yet I also feel these companies have every right to protect their property. Always online has certainly shown itself to be extremely problematic. Not to mention off putting toward future purchases, at least from the crowd most important to early sales, the CE/pre-order crowd.

There's a middle ground some where, it's only a matter of finding it. Ignoring it is not really an option.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Im having fun playing the game. It truly makes me feel like a kid again where I was playing simcity on the snes. 

According to an ingame stat people have played over 8 MILLION hours in simcity.  Laugh at the DRM all you want but Maxis/EA are going to the bank with a phat stack of cash.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

http://www.develop-online.net/news/43477/EA-halts-Sim-City-online-advertising

Publisher 'temporarily' pauses promotion of troubled city-builder

The ad campaign for SimCity has been temporarily halted, according to an EA email.

SimCity has been plagued with server issues since launch, preventing customers from playing the online-only game they purchased.

The email, obtained by IGN, was written to EA Origin Linkshare marketing partners and explains the removal of text links for the game.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What's to stop ea shutting off the severs when they release sim city 6.

Why can't I play it on my laptop while travelling with work.

This is the big difference between sim city / diablo 3 style drm and steam style drm.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think its about piracy at all. Steam style drm does as much as you can to stop piracy.

this style of drm is designed to stop people swapping / trading games with friends and to force players into buying the latest version. Don't forget many players wisely gave societies a wide berth and stuck with sim city 4.

Couple this with stuff like day 1 dlc and dead space 3 cash shop in a pay to play single player game. It's all about fleecing consumers and has burger all to do with pirates.

Ea and activision are bad for gamers. Don't buy their games until they start treating you with respect. (ubisoft used to be too but thankfully saw the light)
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Xirik

Im having fun playing the game. It truly makes me feel like a kid again where I was playing simcity on the snes. 

According to an ingame stat people have played over 8 MILLION hours in simcity.  Laugh at the DRM all you want but Maxis/EA are going to the bank with a phat stack of cash.

That's honestly not much.. at 10 hours a person that's just 800k, 6 days since launch for a newly released game the average is probably higher then 10 hours though.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It's a fraud. Sim City 5 is an Online game and should have been name "Sim City Online". As it is, people had to assume it would be somewhat like the other Sim Cities, a single player game. Which it isn't. It's simply deception and fraud.

Amazon Germany took the game down for the time being.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Elikal

It's a fraud. Sim City 5 is an Online game and should have been name "Sim City Online". As it is, people had to assume it would be somewhat like the other Sim Cities, a single player game. Which it isn't. It's simply deception and fraud.Amazon Germany took the game down for the time being.

No.

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148

Can't say I'm very much suprised. Don't very much care as Maxis lost me as a customer back when they released the ridiculously content gutted, yet mysteriously still full priced The Sims 3.

However I do have to ask how this kind of so called protection saves these companies any money. Sure they will probably stop people from pirating their game, but what about the added development cost of extra personnel to create and maintain the servers, which will have to continue to be maintained the entire lifespan of the game, and the inevitable flood of angry support tickets and calls the support staff have to handle when things like the server queues happen.

In my personal experience people who pirate affordable items such as games and music never intended to become a customer in the first place so these DRM measures do not effect them. Sadly however actual customers who feel they are being asked to jump through pointless hoops to play a game they've already payed for have a high potential to become ex-customers.

Or the customers who decided not to buy it all together because of their protecton nonsense. aka me

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Interesting thing about Skyrim is people are forced to go legit if they want the latest features/mods to work due to patches. which i think is a good system.

You do realize that everything you have stated about skyrim is completely, totally, and abjectly false.  It was cracked within minutes of its release on steam and every patch is available almost instantaneously.  Far faster than it takes for the SKSE folks to update.  Could have been an interesting point if there was anything true to it.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by severius

You do realize that everything you have stated about skyrim is completely, totally, and abjectly false.  It was cracked within minutes of its release on steam and every patch is available almost instantaneously.  Far faster than it takes for the SKSE folks to update.  Could have been an interesting point if there was anything true to it.

Not to mention mods don't need a legit version to run XD.

So say we all!

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I think legally, he didn't buy the game per se. He just bought a temporary access to the Sim City server, which may be suspended or even terminated at EA sole discretion, according to the EULA if you have read it.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Thillian

I think legally, he didn't buy the game per se. He just bought a temporary access to the Sim City server, which may be suspended or even terminated at EA sole discretion, according to the EULA if you have read it.

Some people fail to understand that the only thing they bay is the plastic that is the disk, and/or the registration key that is essentially a proof of purchase. Everything else is the property of EA

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Distopia

That is kind of ridiculous. There's a reason it's being stolen, and that reason is not because people don't want it. They steal it so they don't have to pay for it, as well as, they steal it because they want it bad enough to take that risk.

I'm not siding with DRM here, I'm just sick of hearing this old excuse aimed at rationalizing theft by data pirates.

I carry the belief that DRM is akin to cutting off the nose to spite the face. Yet I also feel these companies have every right to protect their property. Always online has certainly shown itself to be extremely problematic. Not to mention off putting toward future purchases, at least from the crowd most important to early sales, the CE/pre-order crowd.

There's a middle ground some where, it's only a matter of finding it. Ignoring it is not really an option.

well just you know, that is kind truth, most games I get over the internet was because I heard about it, and downaload to play it, finish then never look at it again, if not for it I wouldn't even care to pay for it, other games in the other hand I bought after because it was good enough for me to play and the drm was only at max validate over net ONCE,

you can say all over it again, but software can't be limited by hardware, software can be copied, replicated, expanded most of time without issues, people will piracy it for the sake of, piss off company they hate, for challenge (company says its impossible to hack it: challenge accepted ), for abusive DRM (yes guys, we have a some nice group of people who do it just so to prove they anti piracy is useless).

i'm not buying game who force me to be online 100% for anything if I play single player, and most of time I do it becasue my net is out or i'm downloading/uploading something,

also you say a middleground, so tell me what you think it will do? since the companys main objective is not really stop piracy but stop, 2nd hand sales, and piracy comes 2nd to that goal.

funny part is if they did that with any hardware ,prevent you sell your old console, tvs, or anything, people would rage hardcore against it,  but for some damn reason I never get hold off you guys think its ok they do this kind of thing, one thing was validate online to let's force people be online all time so we can control what they can do, and over time let's try to push some comercials over some loading screens here and there.

what they are doing is not for profit is pure greed, and only reason they push it is for people who is so mindless sheeps they don't question anything anymore they just take it and keep taking, really sad.....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Aaaand.... lets leave it at this, 'dont like it, dont buy it', end of story.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Here's a radical idea...

Get rid of DRM completely.  Use all the time and money projected to be spent on it toward improving the quality of the product itself.  Then the customers who were going to legimately buy it get a better value for their money.  The people who were going to pirate it, will continue doing so.  Everybody's happy.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Aaaand.... lets leave it at this, 'dont like it, dont buy it', end of story.

Lets not ;) intrusive DRM needs to die in a fire and if the publisher wants to die along with it then it is their choice.

Some people fail to understand that the only thing they bay is the plastic that is the disk, and/or the registration key that is essentially a proof of purchase. Everything else is the property of EA

And some people fail to understand how ridiculous that is. I can't believe there are consumers out there that actually think it's okay that we only "lease" games. When I buy a game, it's mine. I wil do whatever I want with it, barring sharing it to the public or getting profit from the publishers/developers work. Whatever I choose to do with it for personal use is my business, and I really don't care what you or any EULA has to say about it.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

And some people fail to understand how ridiculous that is. I can't believe there are consumers out there that actually think it's okay that we only "lease" games. When I buy a game, it's mine. I wil do whatever I want with it, barring sharing it to the public or getting profit from the publishers/developers work. Whatever I choose to do with it for personal use is my business, and I really don't care what you or any EULA has to say about it.

And that is exactly why we have DRM.