Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laughable DRM Sim City 5

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Elikal

Yes but it is evil. Gamers are addicts. They BUY their game even if they have to literally live from water and bread. I know enough such people. Gaming isn't a hobby like knitting or bowling where you change to another bowling club if you don't like yours. If there is a new SimCity or a new Civilization or a next DragonAge or another Star Wars game, people WILL buy it, no matter how trashy, shitty and broken it is. They will curse it and put needles in voodoo dolls looking like the devs, but they will buy it because gamers are addicted to their games. Developers know this and don't care if the drug is rotten, because they know their customers will buy the rotten drug anyway.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how I see it.

So please tell me how to judge a game?

Do I need to trust reviewers that have no idea what I really like or a tiny simple fact they just do not know me personaly?

Do I need to trust forum posters? You know the once who complaints about all sorts of issue's even thought much of those issue I never experiance in their complaint game? Which does NOT mean that many issue's are not correct, just means I didn't encounter many of them.

Sorry but the only way to find out if a game is what I want to play is by actuall trying the game myself.

There are some high profile IP's I buy instantly due to previous good experiances, some games I'll try to wait for demo's, free trails. And then there are those games that do not atract me so I stay clear from them. Unlike some people who buy/try games that already have made their minds up thinking the game will s*ck, which I also feel are often the loudest complainers.

Yes I have bought some games that I never touched passed a few hours, day's or weeks of play, finding out they not really turned out what I hoped for.

The way I see it no gamer buy's trashy, shitty, broken games, they buy games because they want to experiance the game itself. Perhaps it might turn out trash, /shitty or broken.

And in every hobby there is some addiction.

I'll make up my own mind if the game is right for me. I truly dislike DRM but it wll not prevent me from a playing a game I want. As said before in this topic I own plenty of games on Steam, U-Play, Origins. But I do not play the game for them, I play the games for ME.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

But EA Maxis Producer Jason Haber promised that the servers would always be up !!!!!..lol

http://youtu.be/KLYLmsEBGug

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Kumapon

But EA Maxis Producer Jason Haber promised that the servers would always be up !!!!!..lol

http://youtu.be/KLYLmsEBGug

Bold words. Always is a very, very long time.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    From what I understood after reading about the pirated version of Diablo 3 it has not been successfully fully duplicated and that such duplication can never be gotten which was why I posted that the threats of piracy are quite toothless.
    Chamber of Chains
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I'm sure the software companies will go RIAA on everyone and start carpet bomb law suits.  I hear that really put an end to illegal music downloads.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    What trend is this, that you have to be online to play games ? What about someone does not have Internet.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by spizz
    What trend is this, that you have to be online to play games ? What about someone does not have Internet.

Then you are out of luck.  Given the hysteria over "piracy", this is just more of the same nonsense thats been ramping up for years and years.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

I used to love SimCity of old, but NO WAY. A single player game, where I have to be online connected all the time? Why not have the EA CEO watch me with a webcam all the time, to be sure it's REALLY me who is playing?

Patheic. If I buy a game it's mine, end of story. I can accept a one time online registration as compromise, but all the time online on some goddamn servers is going too far. Sorry, but no. So every time their servers are down I can't play? Absurd. No and no!

Actually, you don't own any of the software on your computer. You are licensed to use it, but they hold ownership (think of it as a long term lease). Even so, this is a ridiculous release and will only tarnsifh EA's name even more.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by avalon1000

I used to love SimCity of old, but NO WAY. A single player game, where I have to be online connected all the time? Why not have the EA CEO watch me with a webcam all the time, to be sure it's REALLY me who is playing?

Patheic. If I buy a game it's mine, end of story. I can accept a one time online registration as compromise, but all the time online on some goddamn servers is going too far. Sorry, but no. So every time their servers are down I can't play? Absurd. No and no!

Actually, you don't own any of the software on your computer. You are licensed to use it, but they hold ownership (think of it as a long term lease). Even so, this is a ridiculous release and will only tarnsifh EA's name even more.

At this point, I'm not certain that EA's reputation can get any worse...   I've little doubt that some suits at EA decided to use less server capacity, than the tech staff told them was necessary. Just to save some money. But I doubt they expected it to blow up in their faces like this.

As for software, some of that on my system does belong to me... Given that I wrote it... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by dimnikar

It's just DRM, ffs. Get used to it - it's here to stay.

I hate it when people judge games based on initial DRM issues (server overloads etc.). Same bullshit happened with Diablo 3 and countless other games.

And it will continue to happen as long as people continue to buy these games and say "It's just DRM, ffs. Get used to it."

If the gamers say "Fix your shit or you don't get my money," then the devs are pressured to fix it. Until then, the devs know that they can still release with DRM that does this.

There will be a heavier load that first week. It costs them money to properly support it, however, if it doesn't hurt sales to ride it out, they'll save the money and continue to let it happen. It's just smart business on their part.

have a 6 month wait and see policy! 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Loktofeit 
    I'm curious about how many of the people that rail against EA and like the Sim City series still went and bought this game.

I'm a big fan of the series and I have played almost every Sim City that came out, but this Origin crap was the last straw for me with that company.

I've written EA off completely at this point. There are just way too many issues with this company for me to willingly give them my money and just look the other way about.

Although to be fair considering how most of their games as of late seem to be on a downhill trend can't say I really feel like I'm even remotely missing out on anything.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Agreed. Easy answer is not to support them with a purchase. They'll learn then.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I bought D3 even though the always-online-DRM really grated on me.

I've been waiting for a new sim-city for some time, but the same DRM scheme made me walk away and not look back.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NethkharNethkhar Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Aori

I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.

If I buy the game then download a pirated copy so I can play it offline, would that still make me a scumbag?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Nethkhar
    Originally posted by Aori I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.
    If I buy the game then download a pirated copy so I can play it offline, would that still make me a scumbag? 

Yes. Still illegal to hack exe's....

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Aori I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.

Sure, it's illegal, but why would that make him a scumbag? EA won't lose anything if he actually buys the game first. Breaking a law does not automatically make you a scumbag, you know.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

Oh bullshit. He paid for the game, he should be able to play it however he wants, whether the company that made it wants him to or not. As long as he's not freely distributing the game, he's not doing anything wrong.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

Originally posted by Kaerigan
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Nethkhar Originally posted by Aori I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.
    Sure, it's illegal, but why would that make him a scumbag? EA won't lose anything if he actually buys the game first. Breaking a law does not automatically make you a scumbag, you know.

Because hes part of the problem. By Getting Hacked software your supplying demand for the hackers to continue supply.

Remember the whole reason this drm shit came into place was to combat piracy. Less piracy = Less DRM.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Because hes part of the problem. By Getting Hacked software your supplying demand for the hackers to continue supply.

Remember the whole reason this drm shit came into place was to combat piracy. Less piracy = Less DRM.

Do you honestly believe that? Do you honestly believe that EA and other similar companies would stop using DRM at this point, even if all piracy ceased? No, they wouldn't, because this type of DRM gives them huge control. Launching a new Sim City? Shut down the servers for the old one. Now everyone has to buy the new one if they wanna keep playing.

I realize I sound like a conspiratard but look at all these games they've shut down, especially the sports games: http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

Originally posted by Quailman
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Nethkhar Originally posted by Aori I don't like EA in general but ya know what they still own 1 IP i'll always be a sucker for. Anyways if you like the game and want to play it then buy it, obviously the company is doing something right. However If you're going to bash EA and their products but turn around and pirate it because you want it, you're just a scumbag thief.
    Oh bullshit. He paid for the game, he should be able to play it however he wants, whether the company that made it wants him to or not. As long as he's not freely distributing the game, he's not doing anything wrong.

As a student programmer, It annoys me that people think they can: hack, crack, manipulate or Reverse engineer my software because it is apparently "Theres" now they bought it.

If i need to sell 1000 units to keep my lights on, But i only sell 50% because just 1 person decided it would be fun to hack, and upload the software how is that fair?

Wheres the incentive to make good sofware?

• NethkharNethkhar Member Posts: 13

It may well be illegal but if companies insist on creating games that are almost impossible to play and you've paid your money and refuse to give a refund then as far as I'm concerned that  makes them the scumbags.

It may well be illegal but if companies insist on creating games that are almost impossible to play and you've paid your money and refuse to give a refund then as far as I'm concerned that  makes them the scumbags.

I dont condone what ea is doing with refunds...Im just saying there might be a better way to combat the issue rather than resort to these methods..

As a student programmer, It annoys me that people think they can: hack, crack, manipulate or Reverse engineer my software because it is apparently "Theres" now they bought it.

If i need to sell 1000 units to keep my lights on, But i only sell 50% because just 1 person decided it would be fun to hack, and upload the software how is that fair?

If you've already sold it, what does it matter to you if your customer messes around with it? Just because one messes with something one has purchased doesn't automatically mean they'll upload it to some torrent website or something...

I'm a student programmer, too, by the way. Not that that would lend any weight to what I'm saying.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

I agree that it sucks to have your software ripped off, and people that download your product for no other reason but to just have it for free are scumbags. Most of those people probably wouldn't have bought your product anyway though, so you're not necessarily losing all that much in the end (obviously debatable). If you put out a product worth buying, people will purchase it and support you. If you put out a garbage product, or one that has crazy DRM or other ways of screwing the consumer, much less people will be inclined to pay for it.

Now, while I believe that the best way to show your dissatisfaction with bad practices is to simply not buy said product, and not pirate it either, if someone purchases  a game or other software, and it is a hassle to use/play, if they can't get a refund for it, their only option is to download a crack to make it work, otherwise they're out of the money they paid for the product and the company gets to keep it. That doesn't seem right to me.

This industry is tough, but I'm not gonna label people scumbags and thieves for simply trying to get what they paid for. If you can't make a decent enough product to make a profit from it, perhaps it's time to change careers.

Consume. Be silent. Die.