Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is way too casual for me

pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73

I had great expectations for GW2; unfortunately this game is taking casual gameplay to the extreme. Nothing is even remotely challenging.

I cannot tolerate culling and lag so WvWvW is out of the question. The downed state lowers the skill cieling in sPVP too much. What I mean by that is 1 player cannot defeat 2 or 3 players in a 1v2 or 1v3 situation. I got to Fractals 40+.... yawn...

Explorable dungeons are very poorly designed. They're easy and unrewarding too. The open world PVE is so mind numbing that you can auto attack any NPC to death; even those world event dragon bosses. I feel like I'm losing IQ and becoming stupid the more I play this game.

I was wondering if any people were like me; frustrated by how easy the PVE is and how bad the PVP feels?

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

GW2 is not all casual unless ofcourse you don't do dungeons (and no they are nowhere near easy) or meta events. But then again name me one themepark MMO where you can not play casualy and solo all the way to level cap by selective gameplay.

One example? i will be waiting.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Dungeons aren't easy, they are a sheer mess since they didn't want to use the trinity system, which ended up being a flop quickly, and it even spawned a new type trinity (which is just the old trinity made I guess more 'flexible') to make it a little better. Still something that I don't get what they were thinking with it, it should be difficult by taking skill, not by being a sheer mess with little you can do about it except having a good group make up... kinda like you were trying to NOT do by making it more free without the trinity. 

But yes, the game is way too easy. Dodge seems to be the reason to simplify the skills down hugely and unlike games with simpler combat like Diablo 2 or PoE, theres little to no customization which really detracts from gameplay. It is very casual, one of the easiest games I've played for sure when it comes to areas that aren't just a mess (dungeons) but thats not nessisarily a bad thing either.

People are allowed to enjoy a casual game, some people aren't huge on complex gameplay and as such GW2 isn't too bad. Personally I find it to be my least favorite AAA MMO in ages but that doesn't mean people can't enjoy it either. I just think mostly it needs to really give casuals more to do as fluff and make 'grind' less of the 'do this same task several times' deal. 

Sure, I feel its highly over-rated and its very very casual friendly, but heck, there is no problem with that. There are people who like it so let them enjoy it. Just because its casual it doesn't mean its bad. I could recite stuff that I feel wrong with the game but can you claim that its focus on casual is bad as a valid point? Not really. 

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    i was playing gw1 for years (i m still playing some times) and loved it. i still love it. i was looking for gw2 many years. maybe it was over hyped in my mind, but after so many years of development, this is a mess. i m boring of writting the reasons, but gw2 really sucks big time. at least imo, a gw1 big fan...
  • pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Dungeons aren't easy, they are a sheer mess since they didn't want to use the trinity system, which ended up being a flop quickly, and it even spawned a new type trinity (which is just the old trinity made I guess more 'flexible') to make it a little better. Still something that I don't get what they were thinking with it, it should be difficult by taking skill, not by being a sheer mess with little you can do about it except having a good group make up... kinda like you were trying to NOT do by making it more free without the trinity. 

But yes, the game is way too easy. Dodge seems to be the reason to simplify the skills down hugely and unlike games with simpler combat like Diablo 2 or PoE, theres little to no customization which really detracts from gameplay. It is very casual, one of the easiest games I've played for sure when it comes to areas that aren't just a mess (dungeons) but thats not nessisarily a bad thing either.

People are allowed to enjoy a casual game, some people aren't huge on complex gameplay and as such GW2 isn't too bad. Personally I find it to be my least favorite AAA MMO in ages but that doesn't mean people can't enjoy it either. I just think mostly it needs to really give casuals more to do as fluff and make 'grind' less of the 'do this same task several times' deal. 

Sure, I feel its highly over-rated and its very very casual friendly, but heck, there is no problem with that. There are people who like it so let them enjoy it. Just because its casual it doesn't mean its bad. I could recite stuff that I feel wrong with the game but can you claim that its focus on casual is bad as a valid point? Not really. 

Ahh finally, a skilled player. :)

I guess part of the reason I'm writing this is because all my friends left GW2 and I hang around with players that demand extreme challenges. I was curious to see if all the hardcore players left. I saw with my own eyes the sPVP elite crowd dissolve from 30+ teams down to like.... 3. I'm not even sure if they're around anymore.

I'm not bashing on the game. I'm just struggling to find skilled players and the only type of player I could find are unskilled, slow, casual players. Sometimes I just pause and look at them play for a few minutes in total amazement. 

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Okay then, c'est la vie.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    I feel the same. Lupicus was "challenge", but only for new facebook generation uber-pro gamers. Other "hard" content like dragon events, priests in Orr (OMFG, Grenth is HAAAAAAAAAARD now, nerf circles!!!) require use of 0.00000001% brain cells. Before someone start spiting on me - I'm noob, casual gamer. But this game is really to much casual. 
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by pointchiz

I was wondering if any people were like me; frustrated by how easy the PVE is and how bad the PVP feels?

Please name an MMO that has difficult PVE.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    you can auto attack any NPC to death; even those world event dragon bosses.

^ Didn't fight Claw of Jormag, apparently.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    If you think hitting 123 for a "skill rotation" while standing still is any easier then using a blast finisher in a combo field or dodge rolling you are severely mistaken. MMOs are not hard games by nature. The only "hard" part about MMOs is the grind. Everything is just a matter of time or time invested. If you want a game that requires skill I suggest playing an FPS or another genre. This one is not for you. 
    Originally posted by Eir_S

You can if you stand in the right spot on the ledge. If you want to make it a little more challenging you can stand in the middle where the ice spikes come up. If one comes up near you; just strafe away and keep auto attacking.

You can if you stand in the right spot on the ledge. If you want to make it a little more challenging you can stand in the middle where the ice spikes come up. If one comes up near you; just strafe away and keep auto attacking.

So you depend on everyone else not auto attacking while you do no damage.  I think the problem lies with you, not the game.  Who'd even want you in a group?  You sound lazy.

By the way, the damage done in the ice spike phase is done by the exploding golems, not player attacks.  When they're not exploding, the dragon stays at the same health.  Like I said, you didn't do the fight.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

op you playing warrior or guard by any chance? i found them very easy mode compared to the other classes.. mesmer is much more fun overall and thief/ele is a good challenge as well.. but yea what MMO pve is hard? honestly gw2 has most difficult pve for a standard MMO out of all the recent themeparks.. hell in rift i just ran around rounded up 30 enemies and mowed them down rinse and repeat. Been one shot in gw2 countless times can't even count anymore.. we were fighting fast-fuse felix the guild bounty guy. Only 4 of us on him he would throw out bombs which you could dodge but would still get hit by the bleeds which would kill you in 3 ticks unless you had condition removal.. pretty damn hard fight for 4 of us.. i'd also be curious to see some video of you facerolling 40+ fractals if you got time

here's my 50 rogue back when i played Rift fighting in stillmoor taking on the mathos packs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0GR88RTm0 i could chain this and just go from pack to pack never stopping

i'd love to see someone run around orr solo round up at least one veteran and a group of regular level 80s and drop them without a scratch on you.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

op you playing warrior or guard by any chance? i found them very easy mode compared to the other classes.. mesmer is much more fun overall and thief/ele is a good challenge as well.. but yea what MMO pve is hard? honestly gw2 has most difficult pve for a standard MMO out of all the recent themeparks.. hell in rift i just ran around rounded up 30 enemies and mowed them down rinse and repeat. Been one shot in gw2 countless times can't even count anymore.. we were fighting fast-fuse felix the guild bounty guy. Only 4 of us on him he would throw out bombs which you could dodge but would still get hit by the bleeds which would kill you in 3 ticks unless you had condition removal.. pretty damn hard fight for 4 of us.. i'd also be curious to see some video of you facerolling 40+ fractals if you got time

here's my 50 rogue back when i played Rift fighting in stillmoor taking on the mathos packs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0GR88RTm0 i could chain this and just go from pack to pack never stopping

i'd love to see someone run around orr solo round up at least one veteran and a group of regular level 80s and drop them without a scratch on you.. 

I play double dagger elementalist, 2000 power, 35% crit, 60% crit damage, 19k hp, 2500 armor.

Every other class and weapon setup bore me to tears. There aren't enough skilled players playing to make a group of fractals 40 anymore. Besides after doing fractals 600 times I got fed up.

I play double dagger elementalist, 2000 power, 35% crit, 60% crit damage, 19k hp, 2500 armor.

Every other class and weapon setup bore me to tears. There aren't enough skilled players playing to make a group of fractals 40 anymore. Besides after doing fractals 600 times I got fed up.

wow 600 times you must have upwards of 2k hours into this game i'd say its take to give it a good rest for awhile.. these types of games aren't meant to be life replacements

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

So you depend on everyone else not auto attacking while you do no damage.  I think the problem lies with you, not the game.  Who'd even want you in a group?  You sound lazy.

By the way, the damage done in the ice spike phase is done by the exploding golems, not player attacks.  When they're not exploding, the dragon stays at the same health.  Like I said, you didn't do the fight.

I can do jormag with my eyes closed with both hands tied behind my back while someone is beating me over the head with a tennis racket. If you seriously find this fight challenging then we are leagues apart my friend.

wow 600 times you must have upwards of 2k hours into this game i'd say its take to give it a good rest for awhile.. these types of games aren't meant to be life replacements

1 fractal dungeon including Jade Maw counts as 4. With a solid group we completed an entire fractal in under 20 minutes.

1 fractal dungeon including Jade Maw counts as 4. With a solid group we completed an entire fractal in under 20 minutes.

so what themepark MMO does the most elite of the elite find challenging then?

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Yes the game is extremely casual, with very little challange, it's one of the reasons the SPvP community and pro players/teams have whittled down to like 2 on NA and 3 on EU. After realising the low skill ceiling and restricted meta in Spvp everyone i know left, as did I. 

Really just don't even bother playing GW2 if your looking for challanging, difficult content which requires co-ordination, teamwork and communication, the various world events are mind numbingly easy and can be done by anyone who can pres WASD and the 1 key. 

Just right it off as a bad purchase or a fun for a month sorta thing many good mmos are coming out later this year which won't be focused on player content for people of equal skill level e.g casual content so even the casuals can have fun! Quaggan backpack anyone!?

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

None unfortunately.

Funny you mention themepark. I do keep a lookout for sandbox MMOs marketed to a mature hardcore audience. Hopefully we'll get a studio that doesn't want to target everyone and thier dog with a T rating.

None unfortunately.

Funny you mention themepark. I do keep a lookout for sandbox MMOs marketed to a mature hardcore audience. Hopefully we'll get a studio that doesn't want to target everyone and thier dog with a T rating.

figured as much.. but try out what i said above.. go to orr and round up a group of 20+ mobs and see how well you fair.. hell throw in a champion while you at it since you find everything so mind numbingly easy... compared to most other themepark MMOs gw2 pve is hardly a cake walk. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

GW2 is not all casual unless ofcourse you don't do dungeons (and no they are nowhere near easy) or meta events. But then again name me one themepark MMO where you can not play casualy and solo all the way to level cap by selective gameplay.

One example? i will be waiting.

Originally posted by tintilinic

[mod edit]

Other than life can someon please answer the first poster.

As for tintthat's pretty critical but the first one we won't see I'm sure even with 4 taking on a dungeon or 3 it would be hard.

LMFAO!!!

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

I can do jormag with my eyes closed with both hands tied behind my back while someone is beating me over the head with a tennis racket. If you seriously find this fight challenging then we are leagues apart my friend.

Actually, the way you described it, you're not doing anything.  Everyone else is.  Read the part in red again.  The end.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

<>

<>

None unfortunately.

figured as much.. but try out what i said above.. go to orr and round up a group of 20+ mobs and see how well you fair.. hell throw in a champion while you at it since you find everything so mind numbingly easy... compared to most other themepark MMOs gw2 pve is hardly a cake walk. 

You're fighting a losing battle.  Players have come into every MMO in the history of the world's forums to belittle the game's content, calling it any variety of "dumbed down," "boring," "simplistic," "carebear," or "casual."  The hope is that doing so thereby elevates the poster to some superior status above all the lowly drones who indulge in the game he just criticized.  There's no quick point you can make that's going to make him stop believing he's a god amongst men.  

Many better examples of difficult pve content in games more difficult than GW2 have been put forth, and they've just as easily been met with empty answers like "lol, right.  Pressing 1-4 repeatedly is hard," which of course completely fail to accurately represent how combat is actually played in the respective game.  You can't expect to actually make him reconsider, especially using GW2 as the counter example, which admittedly lacks a tier of difficulty that players find themselve fighting ferociously to progress through.  

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by rodingo

Please name an MMO that has difficult PVE.

Everquest

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Dungeons aren't easy, they are a sheer mess since they didn't want to use the trinity system

Dungeons are only a mess if you don't know how to play as a team.

GW2 just highlights how many people relied on healers and tanks as a crutch.

If you use combo fields, assist each other and time CC well, the dungeons run as smooth as butter. Hoping they put in some challenge mode dungeons soon though.

This discussion has been closed.