Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H&G made it on Steam Greenlight - WWIIOL can't break 1%

Can't even break 1% on Steam Greenlighting.  Sad.

Comments

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

I expected this after the failed Kickstarter.  The only people enthusastic enough to vote for the greenlight (or pledge the kickstarter) are invested players.  There is simply very little interest in the game outside the playerbase. 

• axishatraxishatr Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by rendus

I expected this after the failed Kickstarter.  The only people enthusastic enough to vote for the greenlight (or pledge the kickstarter) are invested players.  There is simply very little interest in the game outside the playerbase. 

I remember when my family didn't want my Grandfather to die.  He had cancer and passed away.  Us family members that were there would have done anything to keep him going, to keep him alive.

I see the few players left in wwiiol doing the same thing to their dieing friend, the game.

I really did love this game.  CRS ruined it, not on purpose, but they still ruined it.  They didn't listen to their long time customers and chased them all away, only to beg for them to return and resupport the company, or else.

That's why I hate crs so much.  They took a really good product that was moving in the right direction and had such passionate players with deep pockets, and pissed them all off.

Have fun guys.

The Feb 26th Greenlight List just came out.

War Thunder is on the list.

Battleground Europe still isn't.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/news?appid=765

• BodkinBarberBodkinBarber Member Posts: 106

Where is the 1% figure? I thought Valve hid the greenlight rankings.

Found this though http://forcedthegame.com/?page_id=1926. Though figures are old and unless perhaps the popular games will get greenlighted first (with other games then getting a chance) that is still quite a few thousand favourites needed just for them to consider it.

Originally posted by BodkinBarber

Where is the 1% figure? I thought Valve hid the greenlight rankings.

Found this though http://forcedthegame.com/?page_id=1926. Though figures are old and unless perhaps the popular games will get greenlighted first (with other games then getting a chance) that is still quite a few thousand favourites needed just for them to consider it.

That 1% was back when you could see the rankings.  I'm sure it's higher now.

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

It doesn't look like they are putting much effort in to the greenlight campaign. An update every month or two isn't going to cut it, especially with this game's withered player base.

I see that they still haven't updated the Rapid Assault twitter. It seems that initially they were trying to get RA on greenlight, not WW2online. I don't see RA anymore so I guess they pulled the submission and put up WW2online.

I'm sure some fanboy will allege that I made an account and posted a negative review but I swear that this isn't mine.

Like I said the company needs to either improve the F2P experience or stop calling it F2P. When a F2P player is camped to bits, can't spawn even basic equipment and is generally miserable they are not going to think "Hey, I'll just pay money and do great!", they will say that the game sucks and is pay-to-win.

Also, making the game revolve around US prime time and doing everything possible to slow down the map during lowpop might have been a shrewd business decision, but since the server suffers from a lack of real action for so many hours of the day only a small minority of F2P players will log on at the right time and experience anything bigger than a skirmish. Lack of players is a big problem because F2P accounts cannot make their own missions.

• TontomanTontoman Member Posts: 196

They could try the equipment points model as the others haven't worked.  So F2P get access to all equipment from the start, but it's earned through points.  You could also do a daily allowance, depending on how quickly CRS sees new accounts stop playing.  So with points you can play any equipment, but you have to earn points to get to them (unlimited bottom tier).  That way at least they can get a taste of the good stuff.  On the daily, you get more of the cheaper stuff, and a few or one of the top stuff each day (non cumulative)

That way not only do they get a taste of a top item,  they can compete on equal footing with a paying player at least while they have that equipment.  And if they own other F2P who are using the basic stuff, more the better to get them to pay.  The whole point of F2P is giving the player the tease for the items they pay for.  If that's going to be weeks down the road, well in this time of so many choices it's unlikely to happen.

You could even micro the transactions if someone just wants more tanks per day, or planes etc.

• anfiach`anfiach` Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Tontoman

They could try the equipment points model as the others haven't worked.  So F2P get access to all equipment from the start, but it's earned through points.  You could also do a daily allowance, depending on how quickly CRS sees new accounts stop playing.  So with points you can play any equipment, but you have to earn points to get to them (unlimited bottom tier).  That way at least they can get a taste of the good stuff.  On the daily, you get more of the cheaper stuff, and a few or one of the top stuff each day (non cumulative)

That way not only do they get a taste of a top item,  they can compete on equal footing with a paying player at least while they have that equipment.  And if they own other F2P who are using the basic stuff, more the better to get them to pay.  The whole point of F2P is giving the player the tease for the items they pay for.  If that's going to be weeks down the road, well in this time of so many choices it's unlikely to happen.

You could even micro the transactions if someone just wants more tanks per day, or planes etc.

Not an entirely bad suggestion. Players have been asking for personal spawn limits for years now. Why not turn it into a revenue genrating feature?

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by david06

It doesn't look like they are putting much effort in to the greenlight campaign. An update every month or two isn't going to cut it, especially with this game's withered player base.

I see that they still haven't updated the Rapid Assault twitter. It seems that initially they were trying to get RA on greenlight, not WW2online. I don't see RA anymore so I guess they pulled the submission and put up WW2online.

I'm sure some fanboy will allege that I made an account and posted a negative review but I swear that this isn't mine.

Like I said the company needs to either improve the F2P experience or stop calling it F2P. When a F2P player is camped to bits, can't spawn even basic equipment and is generally miserable they are not going to think "Hey, I'll just pay money and do great!", they will say that the game sucks and is pay-to-win.

Also, making the game revolve around US prime time and doing everything possible to slow down the map during lowpop might have been a shrewd business decision, but since the server suffers from a lack of real action for so many hours of the day only a small minority of F2P players will log on at the right time and experience anything bigger than a skirmish. Lack of players is a big problem because F2P accounts cannot make their own missions.

Not a fanboy, but will a hater do?

YOU CREATED AN ALT ACCOUNT JUST TO BOMB THE GAME!!!!!

LOL just kidding.   I doubt it was you, and I know wasnt me, I use the same name for everything unless it is banned.   Then I have several alt names.  

So much crap, so little quality.

• pittpetepittpete Member Posts: 233

The only reason H&G got Greenlit is because all the kiddies love the graphics.

Go to their forums and read through em.

Pretty much a shltstorm of complaints going on there also.

Except the H&G devs actually listen to their playerbase.

• swindlersswindlers Member Posts: 27
     RA could almost be viewed as a scam. That's if CRS didn't have the rep of messing things up on such high levels. So the fact that it tanked so hard isn't surprising. Any other company pulled this.....
  • pittpetepittpete Member Posts: 233

RA wasn;t a scheme IMO.

Way too much work went into it.

They took a chance, and it backfired.

Oh well.

Kind of reminds me of Ralph Kramden and another one of his crazy, hair-brained schemes.

• ginzoginzo Member Posts: 23

If CRS hadn't pissed off the majority of their once fiercely loyal playerbase this game would have gotten the greenlight on day one.    Maybe it's time for some introspection at CRS to reflect on what drove them away and maybe some time to devise a plan to bring them back.     

Hint:  RA won't bring them back.  

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by ginzo
    If CRS hadn't pissed off the majority of their once fiercely loyal playerbase this game would have gotten the greenlight on day one.    Maybe it's time for some introspection at CRS to reflect on what drove them away and maybe some time to devise a plan to bring them back.     Hint:  RA won't bring them back.  
    Not going to happen. Every dev decision is sacred; they still refuse to get rid of that awful flat cloud layer.

They still blame demographics rather than their bad game design, which is a strange excuse considering that they don't appear to do even a basic amount of market research.

• axishatraxishatr Member UncommonPosts: 167

They were warned about RA, also known as the early Bloody Battles research project.  Those warning fell on deaf ears.

The overall feedback, at least from the allied side, was that it needed to be FLUSHED.  From those I talked to from the axis side they also had a majority feedback to flush the idea.

However, amazingly all we were fed were big scoops of positive feedback for the shoebox style.  Why?  How could there be nothing but positive vibes when it seemed the teams on both sides hated it?  False feedback???

Why would there be false feedback, or at the very least selected feedback to report to the masses???  Because RA was already in the works.  Bloody Battles was the test foot in the water.  It was to desensitize us for what was coming.  What WAS COMING!  Because it WAS coming, no matter what.  BB was to get us wet.....right before they threw the cold nasty water on us.

I was told directly from employees that I was to support RA.  I was told that RA HAD to work.  To much time and money invested in it for it NOT to work.  I told them I didnt see it happening.  I would try to support the idea but couldn't really say until I saw the product.

Then I saw it.  Played it.  After the 3rd scenario reset I was yawning.  It was awful.

The bad thing is while RA was being banned out WWIIOL was laying on the ER table needing attention.  It was left for dead guys.  No matter what they say about resources and money, RA sucked life from WWIIOL.  Period.

I saw guys that were big time BUILDERS (you know, the money sucker before HERO status) get pizzed and leave an never to return because the production of RA and its appearant sucking of WWIIOL "stuff".  Yes, guys that paid $1000 or more felt that their funds, that was giving to WWIIOL -  the game they wished to support DIRECTLY - seemed to have possibly went to RA dev.

Now, we've all heard that no money was used from WWIIOL to feed RA crap.  Thats fine, you can say anything you want, but without finacial statements showing every pennies traceable steps I would beg to differ.  I mean a small company, the funds had to be shared somewhere.  Even if it was a pizza bought with the WWIIOL accounts checkbook for the dev crew late one night whom was coding on RA.  It's just a shame.

RA is not for me.  BB wasn't for me.  They tried it and found out that most hated it and also that they were not big enough to compete with Call of Duty, or even ARMA.

They should have stayed the course with WWIIOL from day 1 and retained the hard core, fight for it crowd they had.  Me included.  Instead they alienated large groups and did the real life equivelent of kicking them in the arse out the door.  That's how it felt.  I really feel if they had not deveiated from the WWIIOL path and actually put funds into the game it wouldn't be where it is today.  The pop issues wouldn't be what it is today.

Can you imagine if they would have put the resources and dev time back into wwiiol and implemented F2P and lowered the sub pricing what we would have right now?  Can you imagine all of those that got bent when they felt their given funds might have been misdirected would have not left and stayed?  All those die hard, fight for the game no matter whats would have stayed on CRS's side of the line?  Imagine that.  Imagine the whole wwiiol drone family still supporting the game 100%.

Wow.  That would be something.

But, as stated before and will be stated many many times again, it didn't go down that way.  That's why we are here standing where we are today and the game is where it is.

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181

I haven't played WW2OL for years. However from what I remember, there is no reason to play it now that H&G is in open beta. The games are very similar- at least in their premise. For someone who is a casual fan of these games, why would I pay any sub when I can jump on H&G for nothing and get a similar experience? It seems to me that you can earn most equipment by playing H&G whereas the free to play mode in WW2OL will always be limited.

I think H&G puts the final nail in WWOL's coffin.

• BodkinBarberBodkinBarber Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by LydarSynn

I haven't played WW2OL for years. However from what I remember, there is no reason to play it now that H&G is in open beta. The games are very similar- at least in their premise. For someone who is a casual fan of these games, why would I pay any sub when I can jump on H&G for nothing and get a similar experience? It seems to me that you can earn most equipment by playing H&G whereas the free to play mode in WW2OL will always be limited.

I haven't played H&G but i've looked around their forums and atm it seems like the game is more built around small scale battles. Again havn't played it but H&G seems to have verged into a shooter which is WW2, has a 'gamey' strategic layer and has a play area a bit larger than battlefield but with much less battles. Don't know if they are taking one step at a time to be safe but in its current guise I would doubt it. I would expect ARMA 2 and in the future ARMA 3 to have a bigger effect

• angriffangriff Member Posts: 154

I haven't played H&G but i've looked around their forums and atm it seems like the game is more built around small scale battles. Again havn't played it but H&G seems to have verged into a shooter which is WW2, has a 'gamey' strategic layer and has a play area a bit larger than battlefield but with much less battles. Don't know if they are taking one step at a time to be safe but in its current guise I would doubt it. I would expect ARMA 2 and in the future ARMA 3 to have a bigger effect

H&G is a cheap knockoff.  Small room big map but really nothing but a infantry shooter.. The air is a joke.. the tanks are almost the same.  Two or three maps and hump the radio all over again.

Originally posted by angriff

H&G is a cheap knockoff.  Small room big map but really nothing but a infantry shooter.. The air is a joke.. the tanks are almost the same.  Two or three maps and hump the radio all over again.

People still like WW2 games.  War Thunder, H&G, World of Tanks all atest to that.  It's too bad they don't like this WW2 game.  Over the years every company in the world have made bank on WW2 games while this one lanquishes along.