Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shround of the Avatar - Gameplay

AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues will be a single player game with online elements to support single player aspects. Some prototype gameplay in link below.

http://youtu.be/HvqdiYDLJik

Estimated Alpha access in December 2013 which all adventurers ($40 pledge through kickstarter) will be able to access.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

While i don't expect this to be any good..

Keep in mind this prototype was made before they had any funding, so yes, It's going to graphically look like garbage.

I do hope it turns out to be great though, you can't deny the success of the ultima series.. It's just hoping "lord british" / garriott is getting his act together and actually continue making things worth playing instead of banking his hope on facebook games..

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429

Small correction to OP.  When kickstarter first launched friday there was no difference between the $25 first responder and the $40 adventure pledge.  Now they have a second responder for $30 which again is the same as the $40.  And I do believe Garriott has kinda changed his tune about the facebook social games.  This was originaly explained as a similar game to the facebook / Zynga, but he has sense changed his mind and will be a PC download.

They are pushing the invite people you know to play in your multiplayer world model.  But there will also be areas of the game that included people you don't.  Sounds interesting, I hope it comes together as he explains.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

A real half-assed move to have the demo look so .... pedestrian.  You spend a little time and money getting something up that looks decent.  It's not like he doesn't know any real artists.

I just wish it was a little more ... imaginative.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

From what I've seen in the interview footage I can't say I'm too impressed. The game features he describes sound good but the game itself looks like something from the 90's. I personally expected a lot more from him. It is still early footage however so I'll keep an eye on it to see if it improves at all.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i'd expect a complete engine overhaul by the time game is actually released as it's looking like a 2014 release at the earliest

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Quite right, the $25 pledge will get you alpha access, sorry about that.

The graphics aren't really an issue for me personally although admitanly in comparasen to modern day standards it should be better graphically and not look like something from 2002. Not a deal breaker for me as it's Ultima(ish) and I still Play The Stygian Abyss from time to time. I like the little person on the map but if I wanted to be picky I could say it would be better if it was all 3d for emersion purposes. It would be fair to say that Garriot is definatly doing what he knows best which would be good in the 90s when it hasn't been done before but I'll be playing it when it comes out. 2014 seems realistic atleast.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• I'm one of the biggest Richard Garriott fans out there, but this looks terrible. OK, maybe they threw something together quickly to show some kind of gameplay, but I just don't see why there has to be that overland mode. I'd really like to see an immersive, seamless world like in the Ultima VIIs, which IMO are the best in the series for its virtual world and places to explore.