Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Realm Abilities

Let me start by saying DAOC was the only game that ever got character progression right (IMO). Realm ranks and abilities gave the game a sense of realism for myself and others. I truly hope they are implemented in the same way. RAs gave your character that sense of being a battle-hardened warrior who has learned from his engagements on the field of battle, and is stronger than those who do not have as much experience. Just as anyone who practices any style of mixed martial arts, you are given a skillset but only truly master it through years of practice and real combat. I hope they keep this system in place and do not stray from what made it so unique and sucked me in for many years. If anyone has information they could share with me on this topic please do so, I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    This is one of the most sought after answers for me, I really don't know how they will design the "leveling" system so new players can still compete yet vets feel like they have accomplished something

Like are they just going I say realm abilities in daoc = levels in this game? What happens when you cap level? Start a new realm ability progression ?
    What will levels give you? Will they give more abilities? Or stat increases or what?
    Curious to find out over the next couple years if it gets funded

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• SeabeeWojoSeabeeWojo Member Posts: 7
    The benefits would not have to be outrageous but should give a small advantage, such as ranks of passive magic or melee resistance.2,4,6,8,10 for ranks 1 through 5. But these should be very expensive and hard to achieve,prhaps costing 3 whole rrs or 30 points to max it out. I hope they intend to implement these types of character progression.
  • CananCanan Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Very important part of DAoC. I'd like to know more as well - and don't disappoint my City State Entertainment. 
  • dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    I hope we see more active RAs and less passives. 
  • grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

He actually has addressed that in a "Top Ten Questions" post:

http://citystateentertainment.com/2013/02/top-ten-questions-no-realm-ranks-abilities-what/

(The tl:dr. as I read it):

We don't know yet exactly how character progression will be handled,  but we do know

• that as there isn't any need to balance or gate PvE content progression, there isn't any need for traditional 'levels'.
    • that as realm ranks and abilities are an attempt to provide an RvR analog to a PvE levelling system, they're free to try something completely different this time.
    • that progression will (at least partially) be dependedant on practice. (learn 2-hand sword by swinging one around)

Once you throw that out there, they could do anything from UO style skill training to Planetside2 ala cart unlocks to World of Tanks style hierarchical trees.  The impression I get is that whatever they do, they want progression to be more horizontal than verical.

I hope it doesn't end up like any of those games you named and stays true to the daoc progression. Currently I am playing planetside2 about once a week. The progression just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah, I just threw that out there as an outlier.   What I'd expect to see is something like class skill trees, maybe keyed to stats rather than level, with stats being adjusted by acumulation of various activities.

Or something completely different.  ;)

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

That's my thinking too. Having RR 11s with high levels of passive abilities that are always on is unbalanced. Instead of letting them purchase a permanent 20% increase in critical chance, for instance, let them buy an ability that gives them the same 20% increase in critical chance but it only lasts for 20 seconds with, say, a 1 minute cooldown. Then they would need to pick the right moment in a fight to pop that ability rather than always being able to blow people up.

Also make sure that it takes even hardcore gamers a long time to reach the highest rank with the most powerful abilities. When I left DAOC a few years ago, realm point gain had been inflated to the point that dedicated players could easily get a million rps a week which meant it would take them only a couple of months to R10 and beyond. That's too fast. The highest ranks should be a rare and celebrated achievement not something every player can expect to attain several times a year.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

In the recent interveiw 

MJ stated that there won't be any hard level caps. Nor will there be hard skill caps. Though he did mention that the hard skill caps was still under discussion. He also stated he wants things to progress slowly. So if you want to reach rr13 it might actually take you 5 years. rr14 10 years etc... 

As for the topic I hope that they have the passives like daoc, but just add more toys for a player. So if you are fighting a rr13 the passives might be the same, the difference would be they have more toys. Nothing to dramatic but stuff like (for a healer) Divine intervention, bunker of faith, mastery of concentration, adrenaline rush etc...

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

Originally posted by fanglo

In the recent interveiw 

MJ stated that there won't be any hard level caps. Nor will there be hard skill caps. Though he did mention that the hard skill caps was still under discussion. He also stated he wants things to progress slowly. So if you want to reach rr13 it might actually take you 5 years. rr14 10 years etc...

Sounds like he is thinking along the same lines I am.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i would honestly expect to see something closer to warhammer onlines realm ability system IMO because in WAR it was your realm rank that determined your overall power pretty much. Yes you got abilities as you leveled but you had 100 ranks of realm ability ranks and only 40 actual levels of progression with pretty much static raises on the levels. You could easily of got rid of warhammers 40 levels and just gave people more abilties as they progressed in realm ranks and the system would of worked and been a lot less bloated. I see something similiar happening here with that sort of realm system.
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    like someone proposed in this thread, i'd go for capping your xp levels, then when its done, Realm abilities kicks in.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81
    With no PvE leveling what is the need for RA's? All character development will be from RVR so what is the point of another RvR system ontop of the regular leveling system., which will already be based of RvR.
    RR ability points were gained from pvp. It was an uphill battle of which could never be fully achieved (in early daoc) and was progression beyond max level. You gained abilities usable in pvp. I considered it one of the most interesting things implemented in the game.
  • OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I'd rather they avoid the route they went with warhammer. The abilities were far too weak because the real progression in ranks was from gear (which won't be the case in this game supposedly). That said everything will technically be a RA so it'll be interesting to see how they go about this.
  • fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

One more thing, MJ has mentioned that the more often you use a weopon like a sword the better you'll be with it. This leads me to beleive that instead of just saying I want to dual wield you will just grab 2 weopons and slowly as you use them you get more and more abilities till you cap it. 

So this sounds like the basic leveling system.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• ArnfiarnunnArnfiarnunn Member UncommonPosts: 61

In the recent interveiw 

As for the topic I hope that they have the passives like daoc, but just add more toys for a player. So if you are fighting a rr13 the passives might be the same, the difference would be they have more toys. Nothing to dramatic but stuff like (for a healer) Divine intervention, bunker of faith, mastery of concentration, adrenaline rush etc...

Will my dream game become true? It looks like a yes ^^

One more thing, MJ has mentioned that the more often you use a weopon like a sword the better you'll be with it. This leads me to beleive that instead of just saying I want to dual wield you will just grab 2 weopons and slowly as you use them you get more and more abilities till you cap it. 

So this sounds like the basic leveling system.

Yeah it's an item leveling system aka artifacts from TOA. Heh. But I'm sure he'll make it more interesting than that was. It would be cool if the item skilling was unlimited just like character progression.

No, I don't think it's an ITEM levelling system so much as a skill-based levelling system.   In other words, you're not levelling a specific swords.  You're levelling your skill with that category of swords, with side effects on your physical stats.

If I understand what I've read so far.

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

I hope for the opposite. Less actives are easier to balance, and I want an balanced game.

My RR7 hunter was a decent fighter with Purge2, IP2 RAs up, add SoM-artifact and I could last long enough to do some damage. Without them, I was rarely a match for anyone.

RAs like Mastery of Pain and similar offers a slight boost in performance as a reward, but it not necessarily a fight breaker. Sometimes they add that extra crit that turns the tide, but not every time.

Actives tend to make people have to sit back and wait before they head back out to the fighting, and I prefer not to have that. And finally, did I mention that actives implemented poorly will create havoc on balancing? :)

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397

I was always fine for a good mix

Was cool being able to decide if you wanted to be a RA dumper and be weak rest of time or pump  up passives.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked