Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patch, Server, Backbone, Guesting - what is it?

2»

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah im on tarnished coast and logged out in digust tonight over the ridiculous lag. It was so bad tonight that i was stuck in hoelbrak tonight for over 20 minutes talking to guild in chat the entire time but all my skill buttons flashing where i was messing around pushing them and nothing happening.  I couldnt zone out of the zone I couldnt port and its getting worse each day , this started for me 3 days ago as well on tarnished coast. The guesting has got to go period , its terrible idea and just causing us nothing but grief on TC. IF people wanted to play with others so damn bad they should of rolled on the server to begin with. Its getting so bad on TC also that we are in overflows daily now in zones like wayfearer foothills or kryta starting zones etc. Like I said Guesting is a stupid idea , make people accountable for where they roll their toons at or pay for a transfer if they want to see their friends so bad.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Pretty sure TC is from the reddit's GW2 community, so sorry. :(

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Update:

It is now Sunday 19:30 in my timezone - peak time, I guess?

After a laggy dungeon run for my whole team we called it a day. LA keeps giving us 5 min lag spikes followed by chars running around with lightspeed. After that 2 of us got dced and are unable to reconnect. Basicly we are stuck in the LA loading screen forever.

When does Anet finally realize its mistake and removes this buggy shit they call guesting?

It does nothing but allowing a massive amount of people to join in dragon events of other servers and creates lag to no end.

Harbinger of Fools
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Likely have to do with the patch and changes back end, not the guesting. Typically certain changes can have unintented set backs and my guess its something in the patching that disrupted the service of the game, thus causing the lag. Its not at all unheard of and theres many other popular MMos who have had this problem in the past. The deal with coding is one change can end up 'breaking' the system in some way, thus screwing with the netcode or other factors that ends up causing lag in response. Those unintended results are a big reason why often after a big update you will likely see 'mini' patches to fix up those issues.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Likely have to do with the patch and changes back end, not the guesting. Typically certain changes can have unintented set backs and my guess its something in the patching that disrupted the service of the game, thus causing the lag. Its not at all unheard of and theres many other popular MMos who have had this problem in the past. The deal with coding is one change can end up 'breaking' the system in some way, thus screwing with the netcode or other factors that ends up causing lag in response. Those unintended results are a big reason why often after a big update you will likely see 'mini' patches to fix up those issues.

Yes at first I thought this was the case as well. However these lags only occur during peak hours or during the massive events.

I could deal with it, if it was only limited to the meta events itself. But it's influencing dungeons and cities during peak times too.

Harbinger of Fools
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

If you have alts and don't mind causing issues for other players (myself ^_^), guesting is awesome!

How else can I do dragon on my alts? :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Yes at first I thought this was the case as well. However these lags only occur during peak hours or during the massive events.

I could deal with it, if it was only limited to the meta events itself. But it's influencing dungeons and cities during peak times too.

Thats it though, bad net code can cause that through the server. Rift (game I play most right now) has that same issue. It has been fixed granted a good deal but essencially as numbers ramped up, the serer would have a slight lag on it. Having bad code acting up on 1 person isn't bad, its as more and more people compound the problem it starts to cause issues. 1 Bad packet turns into 100, turns into 1,000, turns into 10,000. The smallest 'slip up' can easily become far more taxing as its repeatedly done by more and more people.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Been having big issues on JQ, usually only for the meta events. Other than that it has seemed pretty stable (I don't do dungeons that much so can't comment).