Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've found the best kept secret on the internet

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

The best kept secret on the internet.  We need more games like ‘The Secret World’.

I don’t know if it’s the conspiracy buff in me or the old school feel that this game has with its mobs, or it’s the music score which never gets turned off…..but I’m here to share the best kept secret on the internet.  A game like ‘The Secret World’ is exactly what I needed to return to the old school immersive environments of old.

Its so good I don’t even play SC2 much right now.

I’m not going to write an essay on how awesome I find this game.  I’m 38 years old, I loved Eq1 and UO and hated pretty much everything since.  This game takes me back to my roots.  In a couple sentences:

Its like GW2 but with a M rating.  A highly immersive, interactive world with story lines.  Except this game is less childish than ¾ of the games out there.  There are no levels, it’s a skill system.  You are not bound to any one class of skills and basically are the composite of two classes at all times.  What you load up in your deck is entirely up to you.  The quests are highly awesome and the game is full of ‘zelda like’ puzzles…..you even need to think! I’m not kidding, you can’t just play the game on autopilot and have it all fed to you.

Check it out, seriously

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

TSW setting: great

TSW gameplay: same old rehash, solo level to zone dungeon. Next zone. Level cap, Grind grind grind.

I wanted it to be my next "One", even found a largish group of former City players. But I hate the formula.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

A, its not a secret.

B, its above average at best as reviews+sales show.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Rekindle

The best kept secret on the internet.  We need more games like ‘The Secret World’.

I don’t know if it’s the conspiracy buff in me or the old school feel that this game has with its mobs, or it’s the music score which never gets turned off…..but I’m here to share the best kept secret on the internet.  A game like ‘The Secret World’ is exactly what I needed to return to the old school immersive environments of old.

Its so good I don’t even play SC2 much right now.

I’m not going to write an essay on how awesome I find this game.  I’m 38 years old, I loved Eq1 and UO and hated pretty much everything since.  This game takes me back to my roots.  In a couple sentences:

Its like GW2 but with a M rating.  A highly immersive, interactive world with story lines.  Except this game is less childish than ¾ of the games out there.  There are no levels, it’s a skill system.  You are not bound to any one class of skills and basically are the composite of two classes at all times.  What you load up in your deck is entirely up to you.  The quests are highly awesome and the game is full of ‘zelda like’ puzzles…..you even need to think! I’m not kidding, you can’t just play the game on autopilot and have it all fed to you.

Check it out, seriously

I felt the same way when I first started playing it.. Sadly, it faded for me. Way to much zoning and extremely repetitive combat killed it for me. I hope you enjoy though, the story line and quest were outstanding! 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

A, its not a secret.

Others opinions and how many people bought something should not influence what you like. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

A, its not a secret.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

George Carlin

Considering the hundreds of games listed on this site as MMOs, TSW is easily in the top 10%... that makes it excellent in my book.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    TSW is an OK game.  I play it every once in a while, and enjoy it, but for me it just isn't sub-worthy.  I'd recommend anyone to try it though because it's better than a lot of the other stuff out there.
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

I am a lifetime subscriber but don't play it anymore...and now that it's free to play that lifetime sub looks pretty stupid on my part.

The problem is the game is very buggy.  Animations are crap and buggy, quests are buggy..etc.  The gameplay is very repetitive.  The setting is cool, the quests are different...but in the end they are still just quests. 

The skill wheel I thought would take an enternity to max out, instead people were maxing all skills in like one month.  What's the point after that?  The game was marketed as having horizontal progression. By that they meant you could max out a single or dual weapon skill relatively quickly, but then it would slow way down and maxing out the other would take time.  Also getting more skills outside of your first weapon skill wasn't supposed to make you more powerful, just more flexible..thus the horizontal progression. However, again whats the point if you can max out so quickly?

Bottom line, if the game had no bugs I would probably play it very casually, but when you are struggling to finish a quest line and its due to a bug and you don't know its bugged, it really dissuades you from playing.  I also can't get over some of the animation bugs that have been in game since beta.

I will give funcom kudos for TRYING to do something different and not make another WoW clone, but they need to polish their games better and make sure there is a robust and long end game.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

TSW is ok, just didnt last long and not much replay value at all. I like the challenges and the mystery, but needs to be more in depth. Crafting was just bad. Over all i liked it, and still play from time to time, but just felt like a console rpg after awhile.

Maybe thats me because im a sandbox junkie. But still a decent game. And for the price you cant beat it.

• Mighty_PlatypusMighty_Platypus Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    TSW is an OK game.  I play it every once in a while, and enjoy it, but for me it just isn't sub-worthy.  I'd recommend anyone to try it though because it's better than a lot of the other stuff out there.

You do realize TSW does not require a sub anymore right? It is setup like GW2 now, you buy the game and then play the game.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Its like GW2 but with a M rating.  

I wish people would stop insulting TSW...

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by FromHell

Because TSW is such a huge success compared to GW2

..Cake..

Originally posted by sgel

what´s with gamers nowadays and their "huge success" obsession? 90% of "huge success" titles suck monkey balls, I play and have more fun with niche titles instead of mainstream run off the mill games

The Return of ELITE !

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Justin Bieber is a "huge success" as well.  'Nuff said.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Does that mean Justin Beiber is better than the White Stripes or Black Keys because his albums sell more and are more successful?  By your logic, it does.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ortwig

Justin Bieber is a "huge success" as well.  'Nuff said.

Damn, beat me to it.image

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
           Considering how bad the combat and combat animations are that was the deal breaker for me, the things people list as great about this game ya they are different but most of what you do in MMO's is combat so if that is bad for me nothing else matters.  There were massive amount of many page threads on how bad the combat was during beta they didn't listen and postpone the release and so now they went F2P just to survive, funcom drops the ball on two MMO's in a row which is why i won't even give anything they make another chance again.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I don't know why people bring Justin Bieber as an example everytime. It is not even a relevant example. Bieber sells because of the demographic it targets which out numbers majority of middle age and old farts in terms of numbers...yes you guess it right under teens and teens.

TSW on the other hand targets a niche audience so ofcourse it was never going to sell millions like GW2 but then again not everything that is popular or sells in millions is 'bad' by default. GW2 has something for every type of players and is not targeting a particular group..

GW2 sold millions because it is  a good game and not because Anet has a device which controls the mind of people. TSW might be turning into an exacellent game now but minimal content and monthly sub is what was holding it back.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

GW2 sold millions because it is  a good game and not because Anet has a device which controls the mind of people. TSW might be turning into an exacellent game now but minimal content and monthly sub is what was holding it back. 

many people stopped playing Gw2 and they earn zero money from subs, because there is none.

I don't think Gw2 is a good game, the combat and the animations in Gw2 suck and they forgot the trinity and story.

The Return of ELITE !

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Dampyre
           Considering how bad the combat and combat animations are that was the deal breaker for me, the things people list as great about this game ya they are different but most of what you do in MMO's is combat so if that is bad for me nothing else matters.  There were massive amount of many page threads on how bad the combat was during beta they didn't listen and postpone the release and so now they went F2P just to survive, funcom drops the ball on two MMO's in a row which is why i won't even give anything they make another chance again.

I'm happy that they still make games which do not appeal to this "new generation" of players. There are a lot of games on the market if you want the so called "action combat" games, in proper translation games with no soul, zerg oriented, with no depth and terrible dialogue, in fact true FPS games disguised behind the MMORPG name. Actually, pretty much every "big name" launched lately is like this.

many people stopped playing Gw2 and they earn zero money from subs, because there is none.

I don't think Gw2 is a good game, the combat and the animations in Gw2 suck and they forgot the trinity and story.

I don't know what is your definition of many. I play GW2 on ocassion and servers are still high and full.which is solid after so many months. And yes GW2 makes zero money from subs because they have cash shop to generate revenue just like TSW which by the way copied GW2 after its success. it is ironic though that TSW copied model of the game you hate the most to save itself from shutting down ;)

So in way you owe to GW2's success because that is where JOEL got the idea so either it was that or shut down TSW.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I don't know what is your definition of many. I play GW2 on ocassion and servers are still high and full.which is solid after so many months. 

I see that less as an indicator of the game's success and more of a commentary on how clueless MMO players are these days.

Optional PvP = No PvP
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

I don't know what is your definition of many. I play GW2 on ocassion and servers are still high and full.which is solid after so many months. 

I see that less as an indicator of the game's success and more of a commentary on how clueless MMO players are these days.

Well... some people would rather hack their tounge off before they say GW2 is a success..it is an ego thing i know. But doesn't change the fact that GW2 is successful which inspired games like TSW and Defiance to copy its payment model and go B2P. Now you can continue to undermine it and insullt its playerbase. I am done with the discussion.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

I don't know why people bring Justin Bieber as an example everytime. It is not even a relevant example.

Its because clueless peple keep equating sales numbers/subscribers with quality.  Just because a game like GW2 has sold well, doesn't mean its awesome while just because a game like TSW hasn't sold well doesn't mean its awful.  I'm not saying GW2 is a bad game or TSW is flawless but remember all those times people compared WoW with MacDonalds?  The same annalogy applies here. 

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

Boy back in my day we used to have to first assemble the computer with a sautering gun then play on it!

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Nothing best kept about this game...

I purchased it even after playing the beta and seeing how bad it was.  But I really... REALLY wanted something new to play.

The skill system is just meh, and that's what the whole game revolves around.  Some of the cool abilities I wanted to use were so beyond gimp they weren't fun.

PvP has cookie cutter builds that just destroy people (yes, this is pretty standard in PvP games which is why I ignore pvp in anything but FPS style games where it's balanced for everyone)