Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Weekend impression

2»

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Grinnz
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by Elikal

So basicaly this is your basic cookie cutter themepark full of eye candy?

Serious question, and be honest ;)

Cookie cutter? No. Neverwinter does too many things different than, say, WOW or LOTRO. Sorry I am a bit tired to write all the details why atm. ^^;

Well reason i asked is 50% of the reviews say it is and 50% say its not. I like mixed reviews but i havent had the chance to try this out yet so kind of wondering is all. Im very picky on my mmorpgs why im trying to read and ask as many questions as possible :)

Mostly ever negative player reviews I've seen never got past the very first few levels of the game, seems hardly noteworthy. I found Spellplague story rather fun, the Orc Skirmishes were also fun to play with random party queue. If a review you have read hasn't even played til level 20 I'd stop reading it.

I'm really not thrilled with the cash shop however, yeah they give out diamonds...but in very small amounts......unfortunately seems like Neverwinter is going to make you spend cash. Say what you will about Perfect World, but I've played many of their games without feeling the need to spend cash, but Neverwinter seems to break that idea for me.

Hopefully it will change.....

If they make their MMO completely free of the 'need' to spend any cash how do you expet them to make any profits? these people are not some machines but actual human beings like us who need money to survive in real world.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Cookie cutter? No. Neverwinter does too many things different than, say, WOW or LOTRO. Sorry I am a bit tired to write all the details why atm. ^^;

Well reason i asked is 50% of the reviews say it is and 50% say its not. I like mixed reviews but i havent had the chance to try this out yet so kind of wondering is all. Im very picky on my mmorpgs why im trying to read and ask as many questions as possible :)

Mostly ever negative player reviews I've seen never got past the very first few levels of the game, seems hardly noteworthy. I found Spellplague story rather fun, the Orc Skirmishes were also fun to play with random party queue. If a review you have read hasn't even played til level 20 I'd stop reading it.

I'm really not thrilled with the cash shop however, yeah they give out diamonds...but in very small amounts......unfortunately seems like Neverwinter is going to make you spend cash. Say what you will about Perfect World, but I've played many of their games without feeling the need to spend cash, but Neverwinter seems to break that idea for me.

If they make their MMO completely free of the 'need' to spend any cash how do you expet them to make any profits? these people are not some machines but actual human beings like us who need money to survive in real world.

I mean in that sense of thinking, why not just charge a subscription....they have to make money right?!

Anyways my biggest gripe wasn't having a cash shop, but the pricing for one mount I saw was 4000 zen....which zen to dollars is $40.00.......for a mount!?!

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I mean in that sense of thinking, why not just charge a subscription....they have to make money right?!

I really doubt that. If the current marke trend is to go by, MMOS with cash shop tend to generate more profits. I would say they are crazy to not make 50 bucks compulsory to play NW which is standard MMO release price, but maybe they are just confident that people will spend 20 and 50 bucks on founder packs regardless. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    heh I didnt even know about the identify scrolls costing diamonds now , so they take a mediocre game and require you to use the cash shop or farm scrolls over and over? Perfect World at its finest I see already , thanks for the info I will not be wasting my time with this on harddrive space anymore. Cryptic has always been a sorry studio anyway on the  verge of bankruptcy when PW bought them out , I didnt expect much from that sort of planning and designers anyways but selling stuff needed in game is beyond stupid when there are other successful free to play games out there making a ton of money , selling convience items and fluff.
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

I really doubt that. If the current marke trend is to go by, MMOS with cash shop tend to generate more profits. I would say they are crazy to not make 50 bucks compulsory to play NW which is standard MMO release price, but maybe they are just confident that people will spend 20 and 50 bucks on founder packs regardless. 

I understand the trend of the market, and they technically don't force you to spend. It's the nuisance of things you would expect to be available for free to play that are not (as mentioned I.D. Scrolls) I even saw chest keys in the cash shop.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by cronius77
    heh I didnt even know about the identify scrolls costing diamonds now , so they take a mediocre game and require you to use the cash shop or farm scrolls over and over? Perfect World at its finest I see already , thanks for the info I will not be wasting my time with this on harddrive space anymore. Cryptic has always been a sorry studio anyway on the  verge of bankruptcy when PW bought them out , I didnt expect much from that sort of planning and designers anyways but selling stuff needed in game is beyond stupid when there are other successful free to play games out there making a ton of money , selling convience items and fluff.

I get more than enough scrolls just playing the game. Unless they change the drop rate, this is a non-issue. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Additional Note. Should anyone have a theory, I ONLY crash in the open world, never in one of the instances.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Additional Note. Should anyone have a theory, I ONLY crash in the open world, never in one of the instances.

you having crashing issues in any other games?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Giffen

I totally agree with the OP.  The caster classes (since they are rooted when attacking) just have to spam their attacks and stand toe to toe with foes, there is no other way to do it. You can't kite and you can't stop the mobs from being on you nearly instantly, so the combat evolves into a rush to kill before your hp runs out.

Now maybe the melee classes are different, but I played the cleric and though it was very easy given I can self heal, the combat tactics dictated by the game mechanics mean you just stand there and click your left and right mouse button with an occassional keybind attack.  This will get old very very fast for players who like to play casters and use their minds a bit.

There is basically no resource to manage so the optimal play is to click as fast as you can (or just hold the button down) but regardless, you have no downside to attacking at anytime.  If you had a mana bar to manage there would be some strategy in your timing of attacks and whatnot, but with only a cooldown on a couple abilities and action points to fill up a giant dice before you can use another big ability, spamming your at will powers constantly is the way the game is meant to be played.  Very unfortunate.

I personally detest kiting in games, it offers little to no skill.  In NWO its about proper skill use and dodging outt at the msot opportune time.  You wil ltake damage and its designed with this in mind as evident by the liberal use of potion chugging.  Very reminescent of a Diablo styled ARPG but with WASD movement and 3rd person perspective.  The 2 things I wish all ARPG's used and the reason why I do not like games like Diablo or Path of Exile.  Hate top down isometric view and click to move systems, totally immersive breaking!!!!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

I personally detest kiting in games, it offers little to no skill.  In NWO its about proper skill use and dodging outt at the msot opportune time.  You wil ltake damage and its designed with this in mind as evident by the liberal use of potion chugging.  Very reminescent of a Diablo styled ARPG but with WASD movement and 3rd person perspective.  The 2 things I wish all ARPG's used and the reason why I do not like games like Diablo or Path of Exile.  Hate top down isometric view and click to move systems, totally immersive breaking!!!!

same for me i hate click to move and the isometric view.. probably only reason i can't get into games like TL2 and PoE..

also you can still offer non rooted ranged classes and not allow them to kite its pretty easy. You just greatly decrease movement speed while casting and/or give melee more options to close gaps if they don't have them already.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Giffen

I totally agree with the OP.  The caster classes (since they are rooted when attacking) just have to spam their attacks and stand toe to toe with foes, there is no other way to do it. You can't kite and you can't stop the mobs from being on you nearly instantly, so the combat evolves into a rush to kill before your hp runs out.

Now maybe the melee classes are different, but I played the cleric and though it was very easy given I can self heal, the combat tactics dictated by the game mechanics mean you just stand there and click your left and right mouse button with an occassional keybind attack.  This will get old very very fast for players who like to play casters and use their minds a bit.

There is basically no resource to manage so the optimal play is to click as fast as you can (or just hold the button down) but regardless, you have no downside to attacking at anytime.  If you had a mana bar to manage there would be some strategy in your timing of attacks and whatnot, but with only a cooldown on a couple abilities and action points to fill up a giant dice before you can use another big ability, spamming your at will powers constantly is the way the game is meant to be played.  Very unfortunate.

oO! Why would you stand there toe to toe and spam an ability with a wizard or cleric? Wizard has a lot of knockback and slowed abilities. The cleric has some nice CC. Not only that but both have some nice evade abilities. Slide and Teleport which you can use often enough. 

I couldn't keep mobs away 100% of the time but I shouldn't be able to. I was however able to keep them at a distance the majority of the fight with both my cleric and my wizard. 

Your daily, encouters, mobility, and second at will abilitiy do a great deal to helping keep mobs at range. Why not use them?

If you are sitting there spamming your first at will of course you are going to go toe to toe with enemies because you have just failed to understand how the class works. 

The click as fast as you can is another dumb thing to do. Clicking faster doesn't do anything, just hold the button down. Also it's an at will ability so of course theres no resource to manage. There however are plenty of resources to manage such as your daily, your stamina, and your overcharge (Completely forgot what this was called so I simply call it overcharge).

If you waste your daily on a pack of grunts and end up at the boss fight with nada built up, well your at a disadvantage. If you waste those dodges just messing around when those mobs get up close and personally you are at a disadvantage. If you are on your cleric and you simply spam heals for no reason you are at a disadvantage (They build up over time so you can cast multiple times before the ability goes on a cooldown). 

Theres a good number of resources to manage. So again, you are wrong. 

Doing nothing but spamming your at wills is NOT how the game is meant to be played. People doing that are going to come to the forums and complain about how mobs are always in their face, how theres no resource to manage, and that all they do is spam at wills... oh look, theres one now! 

Heres some advice if you play again when you encounter multiple mobs on your Wizard. 

1) If there is a boss/mini boss, hit him with the levitate ability. 

2) Throw your friggin ice cicle at another, prefferably the ranged attack first. 

3) The others should be close by now so let them start to swing then evade. 

4) Use your ice beam to freeze and finish off one that got close. 

5) Boss and last mob should be on you at this point. Use your daily to damage and knock them back. 

6) Finish off the little guy if he's still alive with your magic missles. 

7) If its a mini boss he should almost be dead so magic missle, icicle, evade, w/e. 

8) etc. 

Notice how I didn't say stand there and spam magic missle?

• ranncoreranncore Member Posts: 93

Make sure that your firewall is set up to allow Neverwinter through. 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Addition: Alas, it remains near UNPLAYABLE to me. I crash way too often. I do have the newest drivers and I tried to lower some settings, but no change. I may not have the newest computer, but Neverwinter isn't such a high end game anyway. Sigh. That really bugs me.

Crash crash crash.

odd not a single crash here

I am having the same problem, I crashed so much yesterday that I didn't even bother playing today.  I'm not good enough on the driver/software end to really track down the problem.  I just know I have typed in a ton of the messages that the cryptic crash  compiler (or whatever it is called) asks for.  I'm assuming the game just doesn't like something on my computer because it isn't happening to everyone.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Hmm.  That's a bit different than mine.  I always crash when doing something.  Usually zoning, but also when I go to sell or buy I'm pretty much guaranteed to crash.  I never crash just running around.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250
    I know this may seem impossible, but is it possible that they are not designing a game to mirror every other mmo on the market?  It doesn't have this... it doesn't have that....  some of which sounds like this is not a game that you will be able to solo from level 1.  Maybe that isn't a bad thing.

Actually no. :(

Damn, I am still with Windows XP, and actually I dont need another Windows. Though I guess XP nowadays is less stable with new games. I am just afraid of the weeks of work to establish all the many many software stuff back on a new system. :(( I just don't have the nerve to do that anymore in my advanced age.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Damn, I am still with Windows XP, and actually I dont need another Windows. Though I guess XP nowadays is less stable with new games. I am just afraid of the weeks of work to establish all the many many software stuff back on a new system. :(( I just don't have the nerve to do that anymore in my advanced age.

windows xp? i'd definitley get your hands on windows 7 if I were you,  found to be the most stable windows yet imho

After playing a bit longer - with many crashes - I came to get used to the combat more. Also the story and quests get better beyond level 14/15 imo.

Wish though more classes to chose:

- Monk

- Ranger

- Paladin

- Sorcerer (dmg instead of control magic class)

- Necromancer

After playing a bit longer - with many crashes - I came to get used to the combat more. Also the story and quests get better beyond level 14/15 imo.

Wish though more classes to chose:

- Monk

- Ranger

- Paladin

- Sorcerer (dmg instead of control magic class)

- Necromancer

20+ they get even better:) i'd excpect several more classes anounced not long after launch but we will see

I only recently switched from XP to 7 and the transition has been pretty painless. 7 has enough patches that it's just as stable as XP has ever been. It's a bit more resource intensive but can handle larger pools of resources better. Plus, you'll never have to defrag again - win7 will automatically defrag your computer any time it enters an idle state as long as you have at least 4 gigs of ram. All the new features are intuitive and it retains all the features from XP I appreciated without bringing over any of the nonsense from vista. 

In short I recommend it. 

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Hmm.  That's a bit different than mine.  I always crash when doing something.  Usually zoning, but also when I go to sell or buy I'm pretty much guaranteed to crash.  I never crash just running around.

This sounds like a disc read error, like the program is unable to locate various resource files. Did you install under the Program Files? Newer games should be installed outside of that folder - something like C:Games

Newer operating systems are very tricky about permissions, especially to necessary folders like Program Files. Try running in administrator mode, but if that doesn't work, I recommend reinstalling to a different location like I posted above. 

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

Every time you crash, the cryptic error tool sends all the data to cryptic (if you allow it to).

If the crash is serious, it even sends a game related dump of your RAM and other stuff in memory.

So if you crash in beta, all the data of how, when and what happened goes to developers who try to find out what caused the crash and try to develop a fix or workaround. Trust me, they do seriously look into every crash - I know because I crashed the game a really awful lot and they tried to fix it everytime :)

So if cryptic eroor tool is not sending info after crash, or cryptic error tool is itself crashing - that is when your alarm buttons should ring off. Otherwise that dedicated small tool will ensure the devs will know the reason for the crash and *TRY* to fix it.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

Agree on the way the world looks - it is fine.

Agree that the characters could look better.

I'm level 17 on a Guardian (my first weekend as well) and I haven't found myself spamming anything at random. I still have some finesse in combat. I prefer the shield mechanic over the dodge mechanics of the other classes (and I did try them all). 

I have a couple of heals, but they are generally lack luster or on a longer cooldowns. I probably pop potions less than a Wizard or Thief, but still much more than the Cleric. I can say I have not purchased a single potion so far, the ones that mobs drop have been sufficent for everything I have faced so far. 

To me the game feels like some odd hybrid of standard MMO features with a dash of Diablo and Tera. I find it fun for now, but the make or break feature is the Foundry, which none of us have access to yet.

Pretty much my own thoughts.

I like the graphics, really. The city feels so nice and alive, so real, with just the right atmosphere, same as the dungeons. There are games with better graphics than NWO that don't manage to bring that atmosphere by far, that feeling of being in a real city that I get with NWO. I would mention a few examples, but I don't want to offend anyone so I won't.

I've done a few skirmishes and a dungeon delve and while the skirmishes are chaotic, the dungeon delve did require more coordination. I joined a PuG for this since I managed to outlevel my leveling partners, and we wiped at the first boss. Yeah. I mean, you can say the PuG was bad, but wiping at the first boss of the first dungeon is something I don't think I had ever experience, considering these dungeons are usually dumb-proof to allow players to learn the ropes. In that aspect, I'm satisfied. The game is not so easy as some like to picture it (admittedly, people who say that never bothered to play beyond level 6 and think the hand-carried tutorial is how the whole game's gonna be).

And then there is the Foundry. We don't have access to it yet (at least the most of us) but I happen to have been playing the old Neverwinter Nights game for years, modding content, worlds, adventures, quests, and playing what others created as well, and I can't be excited enough about this feature. I said in some other thread that if NWO wasn't really a game, and just a toolset for creating adventures based in Forgotten Realms with modern graphics, that'd be still good enough for me. The gaming industry needs to allow users to create their own content, and really, that it will be based in Forgotten Realms makes it just perfect. But what's better. You prefer the Middle Earth? Sure! Create adventures based on the Middle Earth. Nobody's gonna tell you "dude, you're using the Foundry, it has to be Forgotten Realms stuff". You like Ravenloft? Go for it! Eberron? Pirates of the Caribbean? I don't know... Troy? The possibilities are just endless and will be limited only by the talent and dedication of the creator.

You could virtually create a setting by yourself, with heroes and villains, all-new lore encompassed in a campaign that chains twenty different quests in twenty different dungeons where each decission you took in each dungeon matters for the final outcome at the end of the series, and make it so that it is practically impossible for two people to take all the same decissions. Yeah, about that, I am very excited.

I had the opposite reaction.  Dungeon delves were just zerging through n dpsing everying and don't act stupid by standing in the fire.  Heals were mostly from your pots as the cleric can no way in hell heal the intake of dmg, no tanking and really the bosses aren't even tankable since at least the final bosses in the first two dungeon delves are all over the damn room and your just chasing it around all over.  Very minimal coordination if any at all.  There is no trinity system in Neverwinter, just nuke you enemy and stay out of the fire which is hard at times due to dodging and moveremnt unresponsive at times due to the rooting mechanic while doing you animations.  Overall not at all impressed with the combat.  Played the trickster rogue and it is hella fun to play at times but the combat mechanics during fights where it really counts makes me just wanna pull my hair out.