Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I want to play an MMORPG, but..."

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

When I read the forums, I get this feeling from the majority posters: "I want to play an MMORPG, but..."

"...I don't want a massive world that takes forever and a day to traverse."
"...I don't want to stand there swinging my sword."
"...I want my heavily armored warrior to be able to do acrobatics in full plate."
"...I want mini-games galore, for almost everything I do."
"...I want to click a button and be instantly transported to the dungeon I just threw my name onto a list for."
"...I want massive amounts of instancing so that I feel like what I do affects the world."
"...I want massive instancing so that I don't have to worry about other players spoiling my gaming experience."
"...I want to be able to turn off chat."
"...I want to be told a story where my character saves the universe."
"...I want to be able to jump online for the 15-30 minutes I have free and gain something useful."
"...I don't want downtime where I feel like I have to converse with others. I have friends IRL, thank you."

All I can ask is, Do these players really want to play MMORPGs?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I want to give you $50 a month for that game... ^^
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Can't wait to see thousands of WoW players give their opinion on EQNext.

Current MMO are nothing like they were before, everything starting with WoW completely changed MMO into a casual gaming experience, if I started with WoW instead of EQ I would have probably have the same idea as them about MMO.

Some thing are better, but so much is worse too.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Really? I get the exact opposite feeling from these boards.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I think this board represents a vocal minority.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Of that, I have no doubt.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Funny, when I read things here, I see almost the exact opposite!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Sorta a straw man list, tieing it all together like that.  There are a number of different issues lumped in there.  Now games are all abstractions, so you might not like guys in plate doing acrobatics, whereas I don't like guys armored up like14th century knights who seem to have weaponry equivalent to swiss army knives for damage, but who can insult folks in all languages.  --  Plus I understand there are some pretty cool videos of people in plate armor actually doing  impressive physical feats.

Abstractions.  They are done for all different parts of the game.  Mileage may vary on what aspects of them people prefer.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

No we are a minority, people who watch love connection and live in a world of glazed over mediocrity are the ones the investors that fund development companies are targeting

Why, because they are glazed over with mediocrity.

Kinda like we all want to have a healthy weight, but boy that fat hamburger at the fast food joint for $4.99 dosent help......unless of course I become extreme and post comments about it somewhere, where then you will probably be told to shut up by your stupid non thinking peers to stop being a whiner.....

who are probably fat

and stupid

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423
    When I read the forums...... i say to myself.. "AAAHHHHhhhhh the internets... where everybody and there pet gerbil thinks that they have an opinion AND THAT IT MATTERS FOR SOMETHING....
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

When I read the forums, I get this feeling from the majority posters: "I want to play an MMORPG, but..."

"...I want my heavily armored warrior to be able to do acrobatics in full plate."
    "...I want to click a button and be instantly transported to the dungeon I just threw my name onto a list for."
    "...I want massive amounts of instancing so that I feel like what I do affects the world."
    "...I want massive instancing so that I don't have to worry about other players spoiling my gaming experience."
    "...I want to be able to jump online for the 15-30 minutes I have free and gain something useful."
    "...I don't want downtime where I feel like I have to converse with others. I have friends IRL, thank you."

Yes they do and unfortunately they are a pretty vocal crowd and the devs are listening to them.....

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by ellobo29
    When I read the forums...... i say to myself.. "AAAHHHHhhhhh the internets... where everybody and there pet gerbil thinks that they have an opinion AND THAT IT MATTERS FOR SOMETHING....

Including you?... ^^

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. ^^  I suspect that someone who came up with a game with many of those traits would find a good sized audience.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by Matticus75

No we are a minority, people who watch love connection and live in a world of glazed over mediocrity are the ones the investors that fund development companies are targeting

Kinda like we all want to have a healthy weight, but boy that fat hamburger at the fast food joint for $4.99 dosent help......unless of course I become extreme and post comments about it somewhere, where then you will probably be told to shut up by your stupid non thinking peers to stop being a whiner.....

who are probably fat

and stupid

Hell, the real problem is that the burger cost less than making your own food...and less still than buying or making healthy food.  Top that with the fact that we change our minds about what is healthy each year..and well, burger wins.  Its tasty, cheap, and at least you know its bad for you.  Better than the fake sugar trend of the last decade, where you find out, at the end, that its not only bad for you but its also preventing your body from shedding fat to boot.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Gishgeron
    Originally posted by Matticus75

who are probably fat

and stupid

Hell, the real problem is that the burger cost less than making your own food...and less still than buying or making healthy food.  Top that with the fact that we change our minds about what is healthy each year..and well, burger wins.  Its tasty, cheap, and at least you know its bad for you.  Better than the fake sugar trend of the last decade, where you find out, at the end, that its not only bad for you but its also preventing your body from shedding fat to boot.

You can still grind steak into hamburger and make 1/2 pound patties but then that be gourmet food

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Seraphine889Seraphine889 Member Posts: 1

You can't please all people at the same time. Tastes differ, and that is good. While one enjoys the game as it is others complain. Perfectly normal thing.

I think that the people who want such changes, which strips the MMO from features that makes it a MMO, they are just frustrated with one of the aspects.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Players want a good game.  MMORPGs can be good games.

• Nothing about that implies travel has to be tedious.  Tedious travel is simply bad design.
    • Nothing about it implies combat has to be stationary.  The only thing implied is a light (at best) twitch skill component, since that's a defining trait of RPGs and part of what makes them successful with their demographic.
    • Acrobatic fullplate is pretty rarely requested, but certainly I'd have a lot less fun in WOW if I wasn't able to charge and heroic leap to zip all over like a maniac. If you took it away without replacing it with an equally deep and skill-rewarding set of gameplay mechanics, you'd be net negative in terms of fun.
    • Instant dungeon teleport?  Again, tedious travel is bad design.
    • Instancing to allow the world to show impact is great, but obviously can't be the entire experience or must remain a shared MMO experience (as with phasing and cross-realm PVE areas.)  Honestly the instanced parts of MMORPGs feel far more "RPG" than the non-instanced ones.
    • Saving the universe is perfectly fine if it fits the game's aesthetic.  The aesthetic of doing heroic things appeals to people more than being a shit-covered peasant...for some reason.
    • Mandatory downtime is usually bad design, but depends on how it's paced.  The ideal is to let the player be in control: it's up to them whether to pursue content nonstop or sit in town socializing.  
    All you have to have to be an MMORPG is a shared persistent online world with lots of players, some form of progression, some form of narrative, and not too much twitch.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    "Originally posted by AlBQuirky

And when I read this forum I see the complete opposite and it all can be summed up in.

"Give us back our virtual worlds modern MMO's are rubbish"

I find it ironic that instant teleportation was in EQ at release and they also expanded it to be accessible by all players in the Planes of Power expac in 2002 but WoW only had that latter type of instant teleport when Burning Crusade was launched in 2006 and only in Shatrath, all other transport was from Bat, Griffon, underground railway and Zepplin. Though my Lock could, with the aid of others, pull players to outside dungeons from anywhere in the world.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Yes they do and unfortunately they are a pretty vocal crowd and the devs are listening to them.....

No they are the majority of gamers, not unhappy forum posters and thats where the money is. So who would you aim you new MMO at? a bunch of MMO vets who cannot agree on what makes a good game and are always moving the goalposts or a bunch of casual players that will buy your game in the millions?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Axehilt

• Nothing about that implies travel has to be tedious.  Tedious travel is simply bad design.
    • Nothing about it implies combat has to be stationary.  The only thing implied is a light (at best) twitch skill component, since that's a defining trait of RPGs and part of what makes them successful with their demographic.
    • Acrobatic fullplate is pretty rarely requested, but certainly I'd have a lot less fun in WOW if I wasn't able to charge and heroic leap to zip all over like a maniac. If you took it away without replacing it with an equally deep and skill-rewarding set of gameplay mechanics, you'd be net negative in terms of fun.
    • Instancing to allow the world to show impact is great, but obviously can't be the entire experience or must remain a shared MMO experience (as with phasing and cross-realm PVE areas.)  Honestly the instanced parts of MMORPGs feel far more "RPG" than the non-instanced ones.
    • Saving the universe is perfectly fine if it fits the game's aesthetic.  The aesthetic of doing heroic things appeals to people more than being a shit-covered peasant...for some reason.
    • Mandatory downtime is usually bad design, but depends on how it's paced.  The ideal is to let the player be in control: it's up to them whether to pursue content nonstop or sit in town socializing.  
    All you have to have to be an MMORPG is a shared persistent online world with lots of players, some form of progression, some form of narrative, and not too much twitch.

When you say bad design, don't you really mean "in my opinion"?   I view things differently.. To me any game that allows instant travel to anywhere in the world by anyone is too unbelievable even in a fantasy world.. IMO, Original EQ had the best form of travel for players.. Combat should be somewhat stationary.. A person in full plate leaping 30 feet while doing 20 somersaults is just silly.. Instancing is bad design IMO.. I play mmo's to be in a social world, whereas instancing just puts you into private rooms.. You might as well just go play Xbox then.. Everyone is a superhero?  Really?  This is more console game thinking of everyone needs to be a hero.. When I first stated playing AD&D in the 80's I did not play it to be a HERO.. I was just a normal run of the mill druid having fund with friends..  This didn't change when I started EQ in 1999.. I was no hero and had no desire to be a hero.. Everyone I played with was pretty much the same way.. Manditory downtime such as meditating, town trips for food/drink and supplies was great.. I remember teaching languages which was a good concept..

From where I sit.. the new MMO genre is just too selfish and demanding, and have little clue how to be normal.. It seems everyone wants to be "special"..... oooooof

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Personally i want to play games that are fun to me. Whether they are MMORPGs are irrelevant. And some MMORPGs do have those features (assessibe, no long travel ...), and i will play them.

Let me put it this way .. i don't want to play a game because of its genre (or some stringent definition that people on teh internet argue about endlessly) but i won't mind if a game, happens to be in the MMORPG genre, fit my preference of fun and i will play it.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Of that, I have no doubt.

Actually, they more represent what is known in business as "enthusiasts", and your enthusiasts are often the people start and lead trends.  Smart businesses pay close attention to these people.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Calerxes

No they are the majority of gamers, not unhappy forum posters and thats where the money is. So who would you aim you new MMO at? a bunch of MMO vets who cannot agree on what makes a good game and are always moving the goalposts or a bunch of casual players that will buy your game in the millions?

These would be the same casuals who show up in millions on launch, then mostly head back to whatever game they came from in a month anyway.  So I think it hardly matters;  no matter what I do, the initial box sales thrive off hype and the long-term numbers* stay in the niche-market range.

Given that, if I'm going to make an MMO I'll make the one I wanted to play so at least when it inevitably contracts I can still look at myself in the mirror.

*Edit: that's long-term paying numbers.  I could pad the population by going F2P, but this simply lets a minority of paying customers subsidize a larger group of non-payers to keep the server-population up.  Number of people putting money into the game doesn't change too much there, just some are putting in more.

• Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Axehilt

When you say bad design, don't you really mean "in my opinion"?   I view things differently.. To me any game that allows instant travel to anywhere in the world by anyone is too unbelievable even in a fantasy world.. IMO, Original EQ had the best form of travel for players.. Combat should be somewhat stationary.. A person in full plate leaping 30 feet while doing 20 somersaults is just silly.. Instancing is bad design IMO.. I play mmo's to be in a social world, whereas instancing just puts you into private rooms.. You might as well just go play Xbox then.. Everyone is a superhero?  Really?  This is more console game thinking of everyone needs to be a hero.. When I first stated playing AD&D in the 80's I did not play it to be a HERO.. I was just a normal run of the mill druid having fund with friends..  This didn't change when I started EQ in 1999.. I was no hero and had no desire to be a hero.. Everyone I played with was pretty much the same way.. Manditory downtime such as meditating, town trips for food/drink and supplies was great.. I remember teaching languages which was a good concept..

From where I sit.. the new MMO genre is just too selfish and demanding, and have little clue how to be normal.. It seems everyone wants to be "special"..... oooooof

completely agree here. You can't decide whether you want to be evil or good anymore. The only way to be evil in todays mmos is ganking the other faction or getting reported for harrassment.......trophy generation, shame

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I dont even know why people bother playing mmorpgs to be honest. Whats the point, think they miss the reason behind mmorpgs. Now it feels like you are playing your average console rpg and that to me is sad. 

That is what makes a mmorpg fun, and the good thing about mmorpgs (well use to be) is that you dont have to take part in everything the game offers. But now mmorpgs are so dumbed down it just doesnt feel like a mmorpg any longer.

Couldnt imagine playing D&D from 20 years ago like mmorpgs are played today :/

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Onomas

I dont even know why people bother playing mmorpgs to be honest. Whats the point, think they miss the reason behind mmorpgs. Now it feels like you are playing your average console rpg and that to me is sad. 

The point is that MMORPGs are more like online CRPG, and that is what people are looking for. If MMOs are all like EQ or UO, you think i will be bother with it?

And before you ask why i don't just play SP RPGs .. i do .. but why shouldn't I play some MMOs when they are like the kind of games i like? If MMO devs can attract players who don't like the old traditional MMOs, more power to them.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

It's mostly Nariusseldon posting an insane amount of times.