Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

General: Everquest Next: 'We Like Permadeath'

12346»

Comments

• IllyssiaIllyssia LondonPosts: 1,524Member
    Originally posted by stefanakisgr
    Smedley is a master at manipulating crowd responce . Permadeath my ass , this is only to make people interested in the game . Next you will hear about how this world will be like nothing you have ever seen , how this is the next generation mmo , and more bs . I will not believe anything until I actually see it ..... 

Posting prema-bull on Twitter accounts is a great way for SOE to drum up internet interest in the game. First, we get Smedley saying the P word, and then we get a rebuttal from someone else in the company saying no P. Double social networking whammy for the game. Guys, until we see a working playable demo we have no idea what EQN will actually play like, so may as well just wait before forming an opinion.

But, we do know that EQN is due to use the Planetside 2 engine. That's a pretty cool game so if Smedley and the boys mess up EQN they only have their selves to blame as the P2 engine is top notch. EQ2 was sort of killed by SOE due to using a bad game engine. Oh and a bunch of  other things like in-game pizza advertising.

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,121Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by EndDream
    Originally posted by Yizle
    Originally posted by FromHell

Best news since I heard that Star Citizen will also have permadeath :D

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

Name me one permadeath game that has came out and succeeded? How many of these too good to be true permadeath games are you currently playing?

I have no qualms with pvp open world and full loot but permadeath is stupid.

Diablo...Diablo 2... Diablo 3....DayZ...

I don't know about DayZ, haven't played it, but all the Diablo games offered perma-death as an option in hardcore mode.  I'm pretty sure the majority of gamers never went that route online, but were willing to try it in single player mode since you can still return to a previous save.

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,121Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Malcanis

It's on record that Mr Smedly is a big fan of EVE; is this a tangential hint that he's planning to make EQNext the long-awaited "EVE with Elves" - translating EVE's player driven narratives, complex supply chains, economy, full-loss PvP, and maybe even PLEX into a fantasy gameplay setting?

Because I would play the hell out of that.

That might be for a certain server but make no mistake that EQNext will have a strong PVE baseline. Yeah it will have a grest PVP system but anyone thinking that EQNext is going to be some pro PVP game is delusional. EQ has always been about PVE and that stance wont change.

PVP servers will be great but i would bet my yearly income that EQNext will be a PVE sandbox hybrid first and foremost.

Their will be no permadeath in EQNext which has now been confirmed.

I don't see "sandbox" working without a solid PVP base. Though that depends on the definition of sandbox.

EQNext will have PVP servers just like EQ had but if you are thinking that the whole game is going to be PVP before PVE then you might as well give up now. Yes we will have a great PVP system but EQ has always been about PVE and most of their fanbase expect that.

Smed knows his fanbase and he knows that adding a PVP system will bring in more. And who says that "sandbox" needs PVP to actually work, that's your take on it.

When Smed says sandbox then you should think hybrid, anyone taking his words literally is setting themselves up for fail.

So.....themepark plus?

And yeah, a sandbox MMO needs PVP. There's no question about that.

Sorry, that simply isn't true.  It is purely a matter of preference and not a necessity for a sandbox game.

• NeherunNeherun St. MichelPosts: 278Member
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

It's on record that Mr Smedly is a big fan of EVE; is this a tangential hint that he's planning to make EQNext the long-awaited "EVE with Elves" - translating EVE's player driven narratives, complex supply chains, economy, full-loss PvP, and maybe even PLEX into a fantasy gameplay setting?

Because I would play the hell out of that.

That might be for a certain server but make no mistake that EQNext will have a strong PVE baseline. Yeah it will have a grest PVP system but anyone thinking that EQNext is going to be some pro PVP game is delusional. EQ has always been about PVE and that stance wont change.

PVP servers will be great but i would bet my yearly income that EQNext will be a PVE sandbox hybrid first and foremost.

Their will be no permadeath in EQNext which has now been confirmed.

I don't see "sandbox" working without a solid PVP base. Though that depends on the definition of sandbox.

EQNext will have PVP servers just like EQ had but if you are thinking that the whole game is going to be PVP before PVE then you might as well give up now. Yes we will have a great PVP system but EQ has always been about PVE and most of their fanbase expect that.

Smed knows his fanbase and he knows that adding a PVP system will bring in more. And who says that "sandbox" needs PVP to actually work, that's your take on it.

When Smed says sandbox then you should think hybrid, anyone taking his words literally is setting themselves up for fail.

So.....themepark plus?

Sorry, that simply isn't true.  It is purely a matter of preference and not a necessity for a sandbox game.

Actually, it is. Since Sandboxes are all about freedom, and restricting freedom goes against the very definition of sandbox.

• HedeonHedeon GraestedPosts: 954Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Neherun
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

So.....themepark plus?

Actually, it is. Since Sandboxes are all about freedom, and restricting freedom goes against the very definition of sandbox.

very narrow visioned, you can not say no PvP = its not a sandbox at all, its simply to restrictive to even make the label sandbox useful

• BizkitNLBizkitNL NetherlandsPosts: 2,280Member Common
    Originally posted by Hedeon
    very narrow visioned, you can not say no PvP = its not a sandbox at all, its simply to restrictive to even make the label sandbox useful

Look, there's a circle when it comes to MMO Sandboxes.

Crafting > Destruction

It all starts with the people that create the items, the buildings, the vehicles, etc. Then come the people that use those things in order to destroy their opponent's things. Rinse, repeat. This also makes a player-run economy possible.

That said, on an MMO scale, things NEED to break, otherwise you'lle have a landscape that eventually gets full.

This type of game will attract all types of players, be they PVP, PVE, Crafters, merchants, whatever. THAT is a frikkin sandbox.

Sadly though, most recent releases are more like large-scale arenas than actual sandboxes.

• kakasakikakasaki Lockhart, TXPosts: 1,205Member
    Originally posted by Hedeon

Look, there's a circle when it comes to MMO Sandboxes.

Crafting > Destruction

It all starts with the people that create the items, the buildings, the vehicles, etc. Then come the people that use those things in order to destroy their opponent's things. Rinse, repeat. This also makes a player-run economy possible.

That said, on an MMO scale, things NEED to break, otherwise you'lle have a landscape that eventually gets full.

This type of game will attract all types of players, be they PVP, PVE, Crafters, merchants, whatever. THAT is a frikkin sandbox.

Sadly though, most recent releases are more like large-scale arenas than actual sandboxes.

Closest I've come to what you describe was Shadowbane. Yes it was a buggy mess but some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,594Member Uncommon
    Perma death? Smed?... Hmmmm... ^^  I'm NOT a fan of perma death, it has way too many down sides, given the existence of the Goonie types.  One can add "challenge"  or "excitiment" to a game without adding that dynamic.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member
    Permadeath would be awesome. Yes please. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• PopplePopple Utica, NYPosts: 167Member
    Originally posted by FromHell

Best news since I heard that Star Citizen will also have permadeath :D

Could it be.. do games get hardcore again? MMOs no longer catering to carebears? Too good to be true.

I'm a calling you out on your BS...If you put in 80 hours in a permadeath game  and got killed for what ever reason. You will rage quit or make up some excuse it was the internet fault.. Seen people like you over the past 45 years quit with out PERMADEATH.. image

So who the carebear?...image

Mod edit

I retired retroactively..Haha

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,758Member Uncommon
    There is no way I would ever pay a dime for a game with permadeath...Even a f2p game I jsut dont think I would want to invest the time with the chance of losing everything on death.....Heck FFA PVP is bad enough where you drop everything (but keep your character).
  • NovusodNovusod Lakewood, NJPosts: 892Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by freston
    He meant he liked permadeath for SWG. He will probably correct the twitter later. Im guessing hell make one about Vanguard too.

SWG had the best Permadeath system. The only way to get flagged for permadeath was to become a Jedi and in SWG that was very hard to do. After your Jedi was killed your entire account would be flagged for a ghost Jedi. Next time you created a character you would have a ghost Jedi mentor that helped along. Ghost mentors made players more powerfull than those who never experienced permadeath and releveled. Permadeath was part of the progression in SWG. The final end game acomplishment was not a Jedi but a permadeathed ghost mentor that would become a more powerful Jedi later on when you releveled. It was pure genious. If there was Nobel Prize for video games this would be the winner.

Please, please, Smedly put something like this in EQ Next.

• scottman1979scottman1979 dubuque, IAPosts: 3Member
    I just can't wait...been 1 year since alot of us lost our EQ on Ps2 i hope this EQ stay's like the PC versions do and i hope it is familiar more than enough as it was on the Ps2 version...I've played alot of games since EQOAF and not even the PC's version of the game kept me intrested.  Please if anyone see's this I hope Smedley does cause me and my friends and whole lot others are scared of a pay to win version since alot of games have gone that route I stay clear of those now cause im not a millionaire and I've seen the way some people spend on F2P (pretty much pay to win!!!) games and it'll kill me if this happens,  Honestly I'd rather pay a monthy subscription to know the people next to me have skill and not a deep wallet.....PLEASE Smedley I hope you guy's bring me and millions others back into that 1rst feeling of there first and hopefully last MMORPG!!!

Oh on the whole permadeath thing...like I said pay to win games are captured by this almost MAKING people spend and the game controlling us not us controlling the game please make it fair for the people who live check to check.
    END

• scottman1979scottman1979 dubuque, IAPosts: 3Member
    Oh and about the premadeath thing.... iI don't mind aslong as if you guys stay away from the pay to win thing like other games charge outrageous price's to revive a character so if that's the case I say no but if you have a great idea on how to protect your character maybe with a spell or whatever =D that'd be great!

• starienstarien ZagrebPosts: 1Member
    I think permadeath is great idea. Adds to the realism of the game. Games should be challenging not a walk in the park.

• AlignmentAlignment Baytown, TNPosts: 1Member

After doing a little research it turns out this is a joke.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/permadeath-in-eq-next.4322/

soe poster claims

• anotherpointofviewanotherpointofview kansas city, KSPosts: 1Member

Mission Accomplished, John Smedley wanted a lot of buzz generated by his comment. and here we are,lots of buzz in the comments.

• zonkermanzonkerman La Verne, CAPosts: 1Member
    Permadeath is only for players who can afford  to waste their time. These days working people don't have time to waste it on a game that sets them back on something like permadeath. With limited play time they want a game they can progress in and not get frustrated with having that precious time spent thrown out and put them back, forceing them to retrace their steps.  Real life is filled wih a finite amount of time for everyone. We don't get new additions of time so an hour spent is an hour you will never get back so why lose it on something like permadeath.
12346»